brake fail - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 05-24-2017, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

brake fail

My brakes failed on my 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I hit another vehicle trying to stop. The brake pedal went to the floor and Jeep ran into other vehicle.

My Jeep has 3200 miles on it. Jeep is not showing much interest in fixing it or taking any responsibility with it.

This accident happened Saturday the 20th. Jeep told me not to drive it. I am not able to drive it cause the brake pedal goes to the floor when I try to press the brakes. The jeep when it is not running feels like the brakes are working. When I turn the Jeep on, the brake pedal goes to the floor.

Chrysler called and left a message two days ago saying an engineer would be calling me soon. Haven't heard from one yet!

Has this happened to anyone else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-25-2017, 07:26 AM
JKO Addict!

is your jeep modified or have you had the brake lines disconnected?

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-26-2017, 08:23 AM
Rock God

Well, with 3200 miles and a 2017, they literally have no legal choice but to fix it unless you've done brake modifications that they believe caused the problems. Assuming it's stock, get it to a dealer, leave it there (seeing that you can't drive it), and they will fix it... it is extremely unlikely that if you're there in person with a brand new broken stock vehicle that they will refuse to fix it. Calling Jeep on the phone and trying to get engineers to call you is just a waste of time for everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-27-2017, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

brake fail

Thank you for responding to my issue.

The engineer from Chrysler/Jeep did call me back finally. He told me another inspector would be calling me soon. The inspector called and set up a time to inspect the Jeep for next Wednesday. The inspector arraigned to have a tow company get my Jeep and take it to the dealership for inspection.

I have not modified or even had the Jeep serviced yet. I did replace the stock tires and wheels from 255/75/17 to 285/70/17 tires and wheels.

Also, I was going to take the Jeep to the dealership and was told by the dealership they would not do anything to it until told by Jeep to do it.

Jeep has an open case on the problem and hopefully will find out what caused this failure and take care of it and be responsible in dealing with the issue.

Again my main question was trying to find out if this has happened to anyone else. I had read about older Jeeps having this happen but no new ones.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-27-2017, 08:38 AM
JKO Addict!

I have had it happened but was from air in a line after instilling new lines.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #6 of 6 Old 08-02-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjamos60 View Post
Thank you for responding to my issue.

The engineer from Chrysler/Jeep did call me back finally. He told me another inspector would be calling me soon. The inspector called and set up a time to inspect the Jeep for next Wednesday. The inspector arraigned to have a tow company get my Jeep and take it to the dealership for inspection.

I have not modified or even had the Jeep serviced yet. I did replace the stock tires and wheels from 255/75/17 to 285/70/17 tires and wheels.

Also, I was going to take the Jeep to the dealership and was told by the dealership they would not do anything to it until told by Jeep to do it.

Jeep has an open case on the problem and hopefully will find out what caused this failure and take care of it and be responsible in dealing with the issue.

Again my main question was trying to find out if this has happened to anyone else. I had read about older Jeeps having this happen but no new ones.
We just bout a brand new 2017 Wrangler Chief, and I instantly thought the brakes were VERY spongy, especially compared to my original jeep (2X4), and my full sized Dodge Ram 1500. My thoughts were that some of this is due to the jeep being a heavier 4X4, with large tires. However, this is over the top spongy in my opinion. You have to darn near press the pedal to the floor...which is a bit scary, not to mention it's a brand new vehicle with 300 miles on it. I'm interested in knowing how your situation turned out???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode