Wish I had my stock Rubi Back! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 07-22-2010, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Wish I had my stock Rubi Back!

Clanking, rattling, wobbling, and bouncing all over the damn place. I've just about had enough. Looks great, but I hate driving it. FUCK!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 07-22-2010, 05:58 PM
Granite Guru

I hear that its never rides as good as stock no matter how much money you throw at it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 Old 07-22-2010, 05:58 PM
Granite Guru

but they sure do look cool

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 07-22-2010, 06:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Maybe you need to have it looked at ...mine's pretty heavily modified (with much more to come) and, honestly, it rides way better than stock.

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #5 of 30 Old 07-22-2010, 06:19 PM
Granite Guru

You've need to take a look at a lot of things. Pretty much all JK issues are a result of an improperly installed lift or improperly torqued suspension components. Ball joints wear over time too, and that could be an issue. If you have not done so already, read and do the steps mentioned in this thread.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30723

Another possible issue is tire pressure.

Good Luck.
post #6 of 30 Old 07-22-2010, 10:58 PM
JKO Addict!

what lift/shocks/tires/pressure?
post #7 of 30 Old 07-22-2010, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

I know- stating the obvious here, but.....

the modifications that most of us make are to improve the off-road abilities, not the on-road handling.

There are certainly a lot of combinations of suspension parts- control arms, springs, shocks, tires, etc....that play into whether or not a lifted Jeep will ride well on-road or not.

As mckbrew already stated- there may be some component (or a combination of several) that is not adjusted or torqued correctly- as well as the possibility of worn ball-joints.

I personally have a 4 1/2" lift with plenty of modifications. I hear no noise- no rattling, and my road manners are fantastic. It certainly doesn't ride as stiff as stock, but aside from a little more bump-steer and slightly less responsive steering....mine handles, and feels incredibly well.

JMO

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #8 of 30 Old 07-22-2010, 11:22 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via MSN to JTs-JK Send a message via Yahoo to JTs-JK

I was having the same thoughts and when I sat down and thought about everything in the front end that needed work, needing new tires, and the stock spare tire carrier was going bad, I wanted a different lift to put 37s on and pretty much wanted to changed everything I had done already I just got rid of my modded 07 and will be getting a stock 2011 when I get home to start the mods all over again. The math worked out that I would lose less money just getting a new one and starting over.
JT
post #9 of 30 Old 07-23-2010, 05:12 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Let's see a list of the mods. It is probably something simple.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #10 of 30 Old 07-23-2010, 05:34 AM
Rock God

Dont know what lift your running, something sounds wrong. Got a 5.5 Poly long arm and it handles better than stock, and is quiet on the road, moans a little when you twist it up off road. Id go over the install sheet and chech if everything is where it suposed to be and check the torks.
post #11 of 30 Old 07-23-2010, 05:35 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdale75 View Post
Clanking, rattling, wobbling, and bouncing all over the damn place. I've just about had enough. Looks great, but I hate driving it. FUCK!
first thought - take it down to Roco4x4 (miami area) to look at it.

Second thought - what parts do you want to take off and sell? I might be intereseted
post #12 of 30 Old 07-23-2010, 05:42 AM
Rock God

Garage

Would be better than stock if you had the AEV lift.

2007 Redrock X two door
Auto
Hardtop
D44 rear
17" Moab wheels
32" BFG M/Ts
Rubicon Rock Rails
Airaid intake
Infinity speakers
post #13 of 30 Old 07-23-2010, 05:44 AM
JKO Addict!

Looks great? How about wheels great?

I'm not sure why people would want to own a JK and not wheel it for all it's worth. It can be a pita to drive, I just remember all the crazy stuff I've done by airing down...and airing back up.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #14 of 30 Old 07-23-2010, 05:46 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Looks great? How about wheels great?

I'm not sure why people would want to own a JK and not wheel it for all it's worth. It can be a pita to drive, I just remember all the crazy stuff I've done by airing down...and airing back up.
AMEN, why get a JK and not wheel? It's just not morally right!
post #15 of 30 Old 07-23-2010, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Interesting how this turned to "why have a jk if you're not gonna wheel it". Maybe you missed the point of me not being happy about how it rides?

Thanks to the rest for helpful posts. Just venting a bit. Hate the idea that I put on a very highly recommended lift at a highly recommended shop and have a jk that handles worse than it did before. Maybe I just had higher expectations from everyone that mentioned "better than stock.".

I'll post more details when I get out of work.

Thanks.
post #16 of 30 Old 07-23-2010, 06:25 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by s10x1000 View Post
I hear that its never rides as good as stock no matter how much money you throw at it.
I don't agree with this at all
U need to check a bunch of things
Tire pressure
All ur tre's(drag link and tie rod), that's what caused mine to ride like shit
Castor
Track bar bushings
With a nice lift tuned in u can easily achieve a nice ride
Don't give up yet

95 Hemi YJ on Treps with a ton of cool custom work

*gone*09rubi unlimited Rock Krawler 5.5 long arm w/rrd Coilovers 37 Falken wildpeak's Currie 60's
post #17 of 30 Old 07-23-2010, 09:35 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to benmar2000

Quote:
Interesting how this turned to "why have a jk if you're not gonna wheel it". Maybe you missed the point of me not being happy about how it rides?

Thanks to the rest for helpful posts. Just venting a bit. Hate the idea that I put on a very highly recommended lift at a highly recommended shop and have a jk that handles worse than it did before. Maybe I just had higher expectations from everyone that mentioned "better than stock.".

Thanks.
There might be something wrong on the install.. Shops can mistakes.. Ask eMetel.. When he has his lift installed, they put a control arm on backwards.. And TKOB had his gears messed up on an install.. 2 Different shops.. I would take it back to the original installer and have them check it.. Something could be loose.. I lifted mine in my drive way and my wife and I love how it drives.. And yes.. It does drive better then stock.. And alot more Flexie on the trails too..

But get it checked out.. If the shop is a good shop, then they shouldn't have an issue of rechecking what was installed..

Vote - Bacon for 2012!!!
Power to the People!!! Time for a Revolution!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
roll, roll, roll your joint, twist is at the end, light it up and take a puff now pass it to a friend.
post #18 of 30 Old 07-23-2010, 09:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:

Thanks.
What lift did you install..

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #19 of 30 Old 07-23-2010, 10:55 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Liquor

to help diagnose the root cause of your problem, we need more information.

A Jeep is like a woman. If all you do is complain about your woman, then she will never change or get worse and walk all over you. Every once in a while you have to slap that bitch!!

what lift is it? helps us identify any known issues with the kit

tire size, pressue you run at, are they balanced?

where does the clanking and rattling come from?

when did the problem start? after delivery/install of the lift?? after wheeling it??

help us, help you.

• Your Jeep and Gaming Social Network
2012 Sponsors:

Magazine Feature:

Last edited by Liquor; 07-23-2010 at 11:00 AM.
post #20 of 30 Old 07-23-2010, 12:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Yep, definitely awaiting the details on this one. My lifted Heep rides, drives, and even handles better than stock. No bump steer, no wandering...hell, doesn't even creak or squeak while articulating.

In fact, the only thing 'worsened' by the lift is roll steer, and I only notice that when I'm articulating over obstacles. Never happens on road.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #21 of 30 Old 07-23-2010, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks guys. Just been busy as hell at work. The shop hasn't given me a problem at all about taking it back to fix problems, it's been back once and they were very willing. No complaints there at all. Also spoke with the lift maker and they've been nothing but helpful as well. I just can't keep leaving it for days since it's my only transportation besides the motorcycle, and that just doesn't cut it in this South Florida summer weather. Besides, I don't want to be the guy that shows up because a bolt is loose.

The Jeep: 2010 2dr Auto Rubicon
The Lift : RK 3.5" X Factor LA w/ Blistien 5100s
The Tires: KM2 37s (balanced) @ 30psi on stock rubi wheels w/ spidertrax spacers

Everything else is stock except bumpers.

My only experience has been onroad so far. I haven't been comfortable enough with it to go offroad. The lift has been on for about 750 miles and about 250 since I had it back for some adjustments.

I'd also like to mention, that this is my first lifted vehicle, and there's a possibility, I guess, that it's just the way things are. I'm no expert by any means. I didn't really know the difference between a drag link and a tie rod before I picked up my Jeep after the install. I know, should have learned more about my JK before I decided to mod it, but it was hard to resist. Lesson learned.

The issues (remember, all on road issues):

1. Wobbly. It just feels like I have to keep steering it to go straight. Not so bad when going slow, but it's really noticeable when I'm on the highway. At 65 or 70 it's not hard to stay in the lane, but it wouldn't be hard to cross the lines if I'm not really paying attention. I constantly have to make little corrections just to go straight in the lane.

2. Clank and rattle. Just in the past few days there's a prominent clanking sound when going over bumps. Also rattles a bit when doing the same. It's in the front end, but it's hard to tell which side.

3. Bouncing. Heading over any bump in the road, the JK continues to bounce for a short period of time. Feels like I'm riding on springs. Guess I am. This is one of those issues I'm wondering if it isn't an issue at all. With other vehicles I've been use to the firm ride with no after bounce. When I'd push down on the front corners of previous vehicles, the vehicle would rise back to ride height and stop. Not bounce. The JK bounces.

Just before I came in, I found a loose nut on the drivers side of the tie rod. Tightening that up will be my first move. I've already found a loose jam nut on my drivers side LCA and tightened that up and hit it with some locktite.

I could take it back down with no problem I'm sure, but I'd appreciate any advice that might save me the trip. If there's anymore info I should post, let me know.

Thanks!

Oh, I certainly don't want it back stock. That was a frustrated rant. Just want to fix the problem.

Last edited by jdale75; 07-23-2010 at 03:38 PM. Reason: added tire pressure
post #22 of 30 Old 07-23-2010, 03:46 PM
JKO Addict!

1) Doesn't sound like a wobble. That sounds like wandering. The tire design plays a big role in that. The toe measurement plays a big role in that. Finally, the caster angle plays a big part in that. (Alignment = Toe/Caster). Also saying "balanced" and it being a 37" off road tire doesn't necessarily mean anything. Off road tires can, and commonly are very hard to initially balance. They also don't seem to hold a balance very well either. It's hard to get four 37" tall pieces of knobby rubber to roll 100% in balance at 70mph...

2) Could be something loose, the benefit of doing your own work is being able to diagnose stuff like this. I'd either take it to the shop that installed it, get a mechanic friend, or get a little more interested and dive into it.

3) So it hits a bump and jounces excessively? I'd have to think about it for more than a second (mechanical disclaimer) but possibly the caster angle could play into that slightly. You could have a faulty shock (try jouncing each corner with your weight and note how long it takes to settle). Or the shocks could be too light duty for the vehicle.

If you had a loose tie rod there could very well be your alignment issue and WILL KILL YOUR TIRES faster than you know what. The loose control arm is another potential caster issue. It ALSO shows that whoever installed it, probably didn't spend too much time worrying about the axle being centered or the caster being remotely close.

Sounds to me like your problems are part of "how it is" (tires/high center of gravity/aftermarket parts) and partially whoever installed these parts..I'm not trying to pick on anything regarding you not off-roading it, but generally we off-roaders put up with more "crap" out of our vehicle..in exchange for off-road performance. There is more maintenance and really knowing whats going on to have a "happy" driving lifted solid axle vehicle than just turning the key everyday and putting down the road. It takes some tweaking to get this stuff squared away, I can also get very expensive if you don't do the work yourself.

Last edited by Goodysgotacuda; 07-23-2010 at 03:49 PM.
post #23 of 30 Old 07-23-2010, 06:46 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i agree with goody, if your finding loose controll arm nuts then i doubt the shop took the time to make sure everything was correct as far as toe/caster (controll arm length) im sur theres some forum members who would prob help you out for a case of beer (or whatevr they like to drink) post up in the florida sectiion. if this is your first jeep youll find jeepers are pretty good people who will lend a hand

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #24 of 30 Old 07-23-2010, 08:16 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to sgt rock
i know what you mean!

like you i am very serious on going back to stock! or half stock!!

i have a hemi and hate what i get for gallons\miles... maybe 10 mpg with a 5.7 on 37" tires.

i would trade with someone but i would have to take every aftermarket option that i put into the jk - plus it would have to be flame red-

anytakers
post #25 of 30 Old 07-24-2010, 05:51 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to benmar2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMonkeY View Post
i agree with goody, if your finding loose controll arm nuts then i doubt the shop took the time to make sure everything was correct as far as toe/caster (controll arm length) im sur theres some forum members who would prob help you out for a case of beer (or whatevr they like to drink) post up in the florida sectiion. if this is your first jeep youll find jeepers are pretty good people who will lend a hand
I drove 200 miles to help put a lift on for a friend.. I don't mind helping people out..

Vote - Bacon for 2012!!!
Power to the People!!! Time for a Revolution!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
roll, roll, roll your joint, twist is at the end, light it up and take a puff now pass it to a friend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode