Normal rust!!!! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 09-07-2008, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Normal rust!!!!

I have My JK 2008 for exactly one year (August 31st to be accurate).
I had a anti-rust treatment from the dealer one week after I got it because I knew the winter conditions we are facing in Canada.
You can see that it is very efficient!

I went to the dealer 2 weeks ago and you know what? this rust is Normal!!
I have been told that the treatment is only for the floor and that it is normal to have rust on the muffler and driveshaft and transfercase...

Anyway, even without the treatment, I think that it is really not normal and not acceptable to see this amount of rust on a one year car even in Canada!

I would like to have your comments!!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-07-2008, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

At the least...I would spray the axles, etc w/ WD-40. The exhaust tho...looks like another winter and it will develop some "extra flow". I've seen under many JKs and this is the worst rust I've seen. Most of the JKs Ive seen, however...have been in Texas, where we don't see much road salt. Maybe some will say thats normal...dunno?
post #3 of 17 Old 09-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Rock God

Wow that sucks....

If I were you... I would get the frame off the body and get it cleaned up asap... obviously the factory powder coat sucks... At least if you strip it down and rust proof it yourself it will last a lot longer..

I live in CO and am not looking forward to rust...

Good luck to ya..

Lifted by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, JKS DC's, Skid Row Protected,
ProComp 7105, Kevlar MTR's,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Switchblade rear, Red Rock Fab stinger etc...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 09-07-2008, 07:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by airric00 View Post
Wow that sucks....

If I were you... I would get the frame off the body and get it cleaned up asap... obviously the factory powder coat sucks... At least if you strip it down and rust proof it yourself it will last a lot longer..

Good luck to ya..

FWIW, I seriously doubt that it's powder coated. My paint came off the rear axle while hitting it with the sprayer at the carwash. I agree that the op is better off doing his/her own rust proofing unless they have the energy to fight Chrysler on this.
post #5 of 17 Old 09-07-2008, 08:48 PM
gcg

I have a small can of flat black Rustoleum and one that's glossy. Once a month or so I get under the Jeep and look for any rust spots. If I find any, I just brush them off quickly (I don't even take much time to clean them up all that well) and use a paint brush to paint over them. This seems fairly effective. After a couple of times, most of the rust has been treated and so far I don't see it coming back. Using a brush, I don't have to worry about overspray, etc. and I don't really care that much about how it looks. It might be worth a try.
post #6 of 17 Old 09-07-2008, 09:00 PM
Granite Guru

I won't say that this is the best solution, but when I bought my TJ I was living in Minnesota. They love those chemicals to keep the roads drivable. I had the Jeep for just a few months before the rust was popping up. I used POR-15 to take control of the rust and give the undercarriage rust protection. It is fairly expensive, but it worked very well. After a beating in a Minnesota winter it didn't have any rust.

2007 JK Rubicon
Clayton Offroad 3.5" | 35" Nitto Mud Grapplers | Cragar Soft 8s | JE Reel 1350 drive lines | Alloy USA front axle shafts
post #7 of 17 Old 09-08-2008, 08:08 AM
Rock God

x2 on the POR-15, worth every penny.

/jl

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
post #8 of 17 Old 09-08-2008, 08:49 AM
Granite Guru

Ah hell !

Manu17e:

Hi, fellow Canuck here.

Very frustrating to see the rust. One of the f'ing joys of living where they use salt is rust.

Rustolium, Tremclad's anti-rust paint, the POR product mentioned above, Ziebart (in a spray bomb, $17.00 per can) any anti-rust paint or a gallon of roofing tar (Bulldog) are the only products that will help now.

The stuff that the dealers use (just about all of them) is at best worthless, but a wonderful revenue generator for the dealer.

As the guys have suggested, before the really cold weather hits, find a dry day, crawl underneath and spray the entire bottom (body and frame) with the anti-rust paint, Ziebart or product of choice. If you want to really do a good job, use the Bulldog roofing tar, a paint brush, cloths you never want to see again and coat every thing in sight except for the exhaust system, cat. converter, and braking system.

For the muffler (made of relatively low grade stainless steel), sand it if you want, but I used a high temperature manifold spray paint (black) and painted it. One it made that huge silver thing seem to disappear, and two it protects it from the rust (but only for a couple of years). Rust in our "salt-land" is inevitable.

Hope this helps. Not what you wanted to hear, but...
post #9 of 17 Old 09-08-2008, 01:07 PM
Alec W

Quote:
Originally Posted by airric00 View Post
It's not a problem here Airric because itís very dry. Just take it to a car wash and spray the underneath off between major snow storms to get the chemicals off.

I get some very light rust and get under it about once a month and rattle can anything I see which is mostly scrapes and dings from wheeling anyway.
post #10 of 17 Old 09-08-2008, 01:16 PM
Banned

They never salt the roads in florida. We have to just take our chances!!

Seriously..that sucks. What an eyesore. Doesn't bode well for the longevity of your rig.

Id pitch a B!tch.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #11 of 17 Old 09-08-2008, 04:19 PM
Rock God

That really Sucks. Take care of the cancer before it spreads. This weekend I saw a Jeep Wrangler for sale on the side of the road which Looked really nice from the road.I stopped to check it out and when I crawled underneath I could not believe the rust that was Present.I would have really been scared to take it off road.
post #12 of 17 Old 09-08-2008, 04:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

well im not sure what they sold you but the undercoating should look like a rubber and it nnever really dries i lived in upstate new york for 10 years and had ziebart on everything from your pics it has no more rust protection than mine does here in socal

www.jeepasylum.com
post #13 of 17 Old 09-10-2008, 12:34 PM

this is why I live in the Desert..also know as San Diego. haha
post #14 of 17 Old 09-12-2008, 07:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I just tried some RustBullet, It dries silver and is hard as nails; it is supposed to be the new POR15, and has the price to match.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #15 of 17 Old 12-28-2008, 03:35 PM
Wheeler

In Michigan rust happens, I also drive down a minimum of over 2 miles of dirt road to get to pavement so we have salty mud too. I can't say that I have seen a vehicle that wasn't treated aftermarket that wouldn't get rusty here. Few days ago it was 0 degrees F and yesterday it was about 60 degrees F which also leads to condensation everywhere.

I had the vehicle coated by Ziebart, they did miss some panels and I had to take it back. I think it was worth it for the body panels if the shop does it right. One thing that they don't do is spray inside the frame, only the outside. If I had to do it again I would have not had them spray the frame at all.

After Ziebart I used many many cans of Professional Rustoleum, I paint alot of rusty stuff on the farm and I do see a benefit in wear resistance over regular Rustoleum. I also taped the nozzle down and stuck it inside the holes of the frame to fog the inside, started with primer so I can see if it was getting coverage.

I have used POR15 many times, it works great if there is rust, if the metal is clean and painted I find that it tends to peal when scraped. It is a great product for rusty stuff.

Other problems that I saw quickly that needed attention were holes in the frame. The frames need holes to breath and drain but not that many. The main ones that need to be covered are the one behind the front tires, on my muddy and gravel roads I would fill the frame with mud and rocks in no time.
I used wide Guerrilla tape to cover them and painted over it to seal, I would like to find some plugs for long term but it has held up well.

I also noticed that the rear fender wells didn't have as much coverage as I wanted. I was pulling rocks out that were shot between the rock rails and body from the rear tires and while off roading the rear tires threw enough sand to push up the foam behind the fenderwel and fill behind the tail lights with sand.
I used small black Rubbermaid US made trash can to extend the plastic down. I sealed the seams with tape and painted over it. It’s not at all pretty but isn't real noticeable and serves its purpose.

The front edge of my door hinges were also chipped to the metal from my front tires throwing rocks. Mud from our roads also would spray up to and on the rear side windows. A friend bought me Mopar mud guards so I installed them. They looked much smaller once installed which is good. They were a little loose - attaches securely to the fender but the whole assembly didn't seem real secure. I drilled a hole in the guard and rock rail cap and installed a push lock plug. Much more secure and it does keep alot more of the salt spray off the Jeep. I may need to remove it or modify it before I do hard wheeling (it held up at Silver Lake Sand Dunes) but worth it to install during the salty winter.
post #16 of 17 Old 12-28-2008, 03:48 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu17e View Post
I would like to have your comments!!
Do you park in a heated garage?

js.

post #17 of 17 Old 12-29-2008, 11:39 AM
Granite Guru

You just got a bad job. I took mine to a local guy who disassembles the vehicle top to bottom. The only thing with any rust on mine is the muffler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode