This is why you should seal the 'black hole' in front of the dash - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 06-26-2010, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

This is why you should seal the 'black hole' in front of the dash

I lost a 7mm 1/4" socket to the black hole a few weeks ago. It couldn't go peacefully and fell onto the cast aluminum dash frame (socket + cast aluminum + bumps) = annoying! Luckily even after all this removed it was a shot in the dark to even find it. The aluminum dash frame has tons of little holes and pockets for it to fall into. I was able to get it with the 'bendy' magnet...needless to say, I'm going to make a seal of some sort tomorrow!

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 06-26-2010, 06:46 AM
Rock God

Garage

That really sucks. So far I have only lost the stupid little spiky clip thing for the top dash panel in the black hole. My friend BBirish used pipe insulation. Post up what you end up doing.
post #3 of 30 Old 06-26-2010, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAssJK View Post
That really sucks. So far I have only lost the stupid little spiky clip thing for the top dash panel in the black hole. My friend BBirish used pipe insulation. Post up what you end up doing.
I was thinking of something similar. I didn't think it was any big deal, but a small, round, hardened steel object can be a bitch against cast aluminum!

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 06-26-2010, 07:18 AM
Wheeler

Yeah, I lost one too. It rattled for a couple of miles and seems to have gotten stuck somewhere cause I don't hear it anymore.

I'd buy a whole new socket set before I took apart my dash like THAT!

But I am a lazy bastard anyway...

2007 Sahara 2-dr Green Metallic auto w/4.10, Freedom Top, MyGig RER 2.045, Optima Yellowtop D34/78, Superchips Flashpaq, Flo Pro Quad Tip exhaust, 35x12.5x17 Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar, Procomp Series 7069 wheels, OME 2" lift
post #5 of 30 Old 06-26-2010, 07:46 AM
Granite Guru

A length of 3/4 or 5/8ths inch black pipe insulation does the trick. Split it down the seam and roll it into the cavern, cut to length. Less than 2 bucks and doesn't look too bad.

Cheers,
Duffy
post #6 of 30 Old 06-26-2010, 08:02 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Added to the to-do list. Nice bendy magnet Goody

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #7 of 30 Old 06-26-2010, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBoater View Post
Yeah, I lost one too. It rattled for a couple of miles and seems to have gotten stuck somewhere cause I don't hear it anymore.

I'd buy a whole new socket set before I took apart my dash like THAT!

But I am a lazy bastard anyway...
I couldn't care about the socket, just made an annoying noise (more-so annoying because it was self-introduced). Being a BMW tech for a living, it's natural to just start taking shit apart lol

post #8 of 30 Old 06-26-2010, 05:27 PM
Rock God

If you think the sockets noisy, try coins (lots of them) in the defroster duct.

Ron

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world.
But the Marines don't have that problem." ..... Ronald Reagan

post #9 of 30 Old 06-26-2010, 06:05 PM
Rock God

How waterproof does the inside of the dash look? I had mud and trail dust all over my dash today and considered housing down the dash. I had already pulled the plugs and hosed down every thing else.

2009 JK - 2DR - 6SPD - 1/2 Doors
4.88 G2 Gears / Warn XD9000i / Custom bumpers & Swing Gate
XRC Rock Rails / 35" Kumho's on Black Rock Vipers
2.5" Mutt Lift / Rubicon T-Case / E-DISCO / VIAIR OBA
Rear CV Driveshaft / Rear Detroit Locker / Front Aussie
Teraflex Sleeves / Gussets / Nitro Chromoly Axles
post #10 of 30 Old 06-26-2010, 06:20 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
I couldn't care about the socket, just made an annoying noise (more-so annoying because it was self-introduced). Being a BMW tech for a living, it's natural to just start taking shit apart lol
If mine were rattlin I'd do the same thing...

2007 Sahara 2-dr Green Metallic auto w/4.10, Freedom Top, MyGig RER 2.045, Optima Yellowtop D34/78, Superchips Flashpaq, Flo Pro Quad Tip exhaust, 35x12.5x17 Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar, Procomp Series 7069 wheels, OME 2" lift
post #11 of 30 Old 06-26-2010, 06:41 PM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to kerryp Send a message via Skype™ to kerryp

Quote:
LOL, with my luck I would find the socket, but the dash wouldn't go back together right and would start making a worse noise..

ジープ
@CigarsNJeeps
post #12 of 30 Old 06-26-2010, 06:44 PM
Granite Guru

If I were to want to prevent such a nightmare, where is this black hole you speak of? My rig is brand-spankin' new and I have lotsa mods coming...

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
post #13 of 30 Old 06-26-2010, 06:57 PM
Wheeler

Ok, first I immediately went outside to look for this black hole so thanks for the heads up.

Secondly, I couldn't help notice the In n Out cup in your cup holder and being a former Californian I am totally jonesing for some. It's been a damn long time for me and there is not a one in Florida.
post #14 of 30 Old 06-27-2010, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcul8r View Post
If I were to want to prevent such a nightmare, where is this black hole you speak of? My rig is brand-spankin' new and I have lotsa mods coming...
its the 1" gaping hole between the dash and the windshield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by back n black View Post
Ok, first I immediately went outside to look for this black hole so thanks for the heads up.

Secondly, I couldn't help notice the In n Out cup in your cup holder and being a former Californian I am totally jonesing for some. It's been a damn long time for me and there is not a one in Florida.
Yep, I go by there once a week or so. We're moving to Dallas soon, I'm going to miss my In-N-Out and Tommy's! Supposedly an In-N-Out is going to a suburb of Dallas?

post #15 of 30 Old 06-27-2010, 12:36 AM
Rock God

I just saw somewhere where somebody had a black rubber piece that had a little channel that "snapped" (??) onto the metal seam across that gap. Ill see if I can find it and the pic

No more Jeep
post #16 of 30 Old 06-27-2010, 01:09 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

^^^

I'd be interested in seeing that too.

Evo Coilovers, King Shocks & B-stops, R Dbl Throwdown System, 5:13, RE Driveshafts,
Rock Hard Skids. Viair Tank, LoD F&R Bumpers, PowerPlant, 3 Oddessy Batteries, Pro Comp 8128 17"
BFG T/A KO 37s, MasterPull Syn, sPOD, OTRATTW Switches, 12VOLTGUY.com Switchpanel, Woods Evap & Muff Relocate, Tailgate Holder
post #17 of 30 Old 06-27-2010, 05:40 AM
Rock God

Would it have been easier to fold the windsheld down tha ripping out the dash?
post #18 of 30 Old 06-27-2010, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonecollector View Post
Would it have been easier to fold the windsheld down tha ripping out the dash?
the windshield isn't up...

post #19 of 30 Old 06-27-2010, 04:41 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmhines View Post
How waterproof does the inside of the dash look? I had mud and trail dust all over my dash today and considered housing down the dash. I had already pulled the plugs and hosed down every thing else.
I'd say it's pretty "waterproof"....

I've been sumerged up to the shifter.... so that's one indication.

When I wash my JK i hose the entire dash.... but I do it very fast to not drown it in water....

the ONLY problem I had was that my factory stereo wouldn't work for a day or two until it dried out. So it you want to do a thorough cleaning there... I would recommend taking the factory stereo out....

www.californiasurveillanceinvestigators.com
post #20 of 30 Old 06-27-2010, 05:10 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryp View Post
LOL, with my luck I would find the socket, but the dash wouldn't go back together right and would start making a worse noise..
Same here, I feel like I fix one problem and create two more sometimes.
post #21 of 30 Old 06-27-2010, 08:05 PM
Rock God

Garage

you didnt happen to find a styrofoam cooler in there did you?? ones been shaking around my dash and some others for quite a while now.

Life's hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
post #22 of 30 Old 06-28-2010, 09:07 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
A length of 3/4 or 5/8ths inch black pipe insulation does the trick. Split it down the seam and roll it into the cavern, cut to length. Less than 2 bucks and doesn't look too bad.

Cheers,
Duffy

Most excellent idea, long overdue mod on mine.
post #23 of 30 Old 06-28-2010, 09:17 AM
Rock God

Garage

Using that pipe insullation is a good idea. I'm going to have to try it. Rattles bug the shit out of me...I could see myself pulling the dash apart too.

Yes, In N Out is suppose to come to Dallas. Hope it's as good as I remember (been 10 years since I had it).
post #24 of 30 Old 06-29-2010, 10:08 AM
Rock God

Definitely use the pipe insulation. It took five minutes to install, if that, and you don't even notice it because it matches the dash perfectly. It looks almost like half of a rollbar is sticking out of your dash. I read about so many people losing shit and then I nearly lost my phone so I made the trip to Lowe's. Best mod to date.

jk-forum, jk-forum.com jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #25 of 30 Old 06-29-2010, 10:25 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Supposedly an In-N-Out is going to a suburb of Dallas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bullitt View Post
Yes, In N Out is suppose to come to Dallas. Hope it's as good as I remember (been 10 years since I had it).

This is true. In-N-Out in Garland, TX
Chuck, we'll have to see about moving one of the monthly M&Gs when it's done.

I'm going to have to do that pipe insulation too. Good idea.

tehiv
'14 Copperhead JKUR
'14 White WK2 Overland

formerly: 98 TJ | 97 XJ | 05 TJ | 01 WJ | 07 JKU

Last edited by tehiv; 06-29-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode