Overly aggressive forum advertising - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 03-15-2016, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Overly aggressive forum advertising

Really just venting here, but I personally will make my purchasing decisions based upon aspects of a company's integrity... not simply on their prices.

I feel that on any given forum that manufacturers and retailers should respect not only the other vendors and members but also the advice given to them by the people that monitor the particular forums content.

When a vendor on any given forum is politely asked to refrain from making many multiple posts and/or bumps daily, but yet they disregard that request, I believe that it should serve as a reminder to potential customers who they decide to do business with.

The reasons that vendors are asked to refrain from aggressively bumping a multitude of sales ad's per day is two-fold. One reason is because that particular vendor is monopolizing the forum and subsequently pushing all other content off of the first/ current topic page. And the other reason is that it is a slap in the face to other competing or even non-competing vendors who are also on the forum to sell their goods and services.

I can understand an honest mistake along with a regretful "We will try to refrain, minimize bumping, respect the wishes of admin, etc..." but to essentially say "Even though you asked us not to, we will instead disregard the suggestions and disregard the other content of this board so just go piss off" well... that is where I must make the decision to speak up.

So... whatever forum you guys frequent... please just be aware of the integrity of who you are doing business with and whether or not you want to spend your money with them or with someone else.

Thanks for reading.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 03-15-2016, 11:02 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Well since you started.

Or when a member posts a question about or to a vendor and 2 or 3 other vendors chime in with their product.
aqualungs likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #3 of 26 Old 03-15-2016, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Well since you started.

Or when a member posts a question about or to a vendor and 2 or 3 other vendors chime in with their product.
Absolutely agree with that. Reason I make no mention of that however, is due to that kind of instance usually being a harmless mistake ( a little overly aggressive but generally quickly dissolved with a swift slap on the wrist by other members). Also it's not something that winds up destroying an entire page worth of content. Not every vendor has the luxury of sitting on this board all day long so they might post up or bump early morning before they have to log off and then within minutes their efforts have vanished into 2nd-3rd page. Regardless of any of that, my main complaint is when suggestions by admin are completely disregarded.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 03-15-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Absolutely agree with that. Reason I make no mention of that however, is due to that kind of instance usually being a harmless mistake ( a little overly aggressive but generally quickly dissolved with a swift slap on the wrist by other members). Also it's not something that winds up destroying an entire page worth of content. Not every vendor has the luxury of sitting on this board all day long so they might post up or bump early morning before they have to log off and then within minutes their efforts have vanished into 2nd-3rd page. Regardless of any of that, my main complaint is when suggestions by admin are completely disregarded.
Just playing devils advocate but most of us know that when your tone changes that it is time to go look for other threads to post in. Maybe they don't know you like we do. Or on the other hand they just say fuck it and do it anyways.

Quote:
Quote:
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #5 of 26 Old 03-15-2016, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Naw... I know. You know I'm as harmless as they get so it's pretty bad if I feel the need to send out a warning or rant.

post #6 of 26 Old 03-15-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Naw... I know. You know I'm as harmless as they get so it's pretty bad if I feel the need to send out a warning or rant.
That's what I mean. When you step in and say "go elsewhere and quit fucking up this thread" in your sweet Texan way, we all take that serious.

Maybe you need to be blunt with them.

Quote:
Quote:
post #7 of 26 Old 03-15-2016, 03:18 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
That's what I mean. When you step in and say "go elsewhere and quit fucking up this thread" in your sweet Texan way, we all take that serious.

Maybe you need to smoke a blunt with them.
FIFY
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved 2015
post #8 of 26 Old 05-26-2017, 09:47 AM
DJ1
Rock God

Quote:
Really just venting here, but I personally will make my purchasing decisions based upon aspects of a company's integrity... not simply on their prices....

Inquiring minds wanna know how you feel about Rancho's false advertising claims & their "integrity" concerning their mis-represented country of origin on their high-steer knuckles?

Also not only on their high-steer knuckles, but on the other 5% of products not made in the USA but falsely advertised as "Made In The USA".....or maybe that should be 10%+ since Rancho can't get their story straight if 95% or 90% of their products are US made?

post #9 of 26 Old 05-26-2017, 11:00 AM
DJ1
Rock God

Quote:
Really just venting here, but I personally will make my purchasing decisions based upon aspects of a company's integrity... not simply on their prices.

Rephrased for the overly sensitive....

I WANT TO KNOW how you feel about Rancho's false advertising claims & their "integrity" concerning their mis-represented country of origin on their high-steer knuckles?

Also not only on their high-steer knuckles, but on the other 5% of products not made in the USA but falsely advertised as "Made In The USA".....or maybe that should be 10%+ since Rancho can't get their story straight if 95% or 90% of their products are US made?

post #10 of 26 Old 05-26-2017, 11:09 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Not to piss anyone off, but I believe ANY company can represent a product as being "made" in the U.S. of A. as long as it is ASSEMBLED here. I could be wrong, but I swear I heard/read that somewhere...

Is that how they get away with it?

2016 JKU Sport S Granite Crystal Metallic
Mods: 2.5" Teraflex lift kit w/ 9550 shocks, 1/2" front spring spacers, Teraflex JK 9550 steering stabilizer, Teraflex JK Front explorer bumper w/ hoop, Magnaflow axle back exhaust, Teraflex HD hinged carrier & adjustable spare tire, 17" Pro Comp Helldorado wheels, 35" MTZ P3s, Superchips Flashcal programmer, Freedom hardtop & Trektop NX, Brandmotion rear vision camera, remote start, Mopar slush and cargo mats, Wild Boar grab bars/handles.
post #11 of 26 Old 05-26-2017, 12:02 PM
DJ1
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl83 View Post
Not to piss anyone off, but I believe ANY company can represent a product as being "made" in the U.S. of A. as long as it is ASSEMBLED here. I could be wrong, but I swear I heard/read that somewhere...

Christensent actually had a great post concerning this on JKF. In a nutshell:

Quote:
Just throwing it out there that it is literally illegal to have that in the template of your website unless 100% of your products meet the made in USA requirements, I'd recommend taking the time to get it fixed:

"Representations about entire product lines
Manufacturers and marketers should not indicate, either expressly or implicitly, that a whole product line is of U.S. origin ("Our products are made in USA") when only some products in the product line are made in the U.S. according to the "all or virtually all" standard."

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/busi...e-usa-standard

Any products "assembled" in the USA will be designated as such. Assembled in the USA vs. Made In the USA have a distinct line separating the 2.

Last edited by DJ1; 05-26-2017 at 12:04 PM.
post #12 of 26 Old 05-26-2017, 02:32 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ1 View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Just throwing it out there that it is literally illegal to have that in the template of your website unless 100% of your products meet the made in USA requirements, I'd recommend taking the time to get it fixed:

"Representations about entire product lines
Manufacturers and marketers should not indicate, either expressly or implicitly, that a whole product line is of U.S. origin ("Our products are made in USA") when only some products in the product line are made in the U.S. according to the "all or virtually all" standard."

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/busi...e-usa-standard

Any products "assembled" in the USA will be designated as such. Assembled in the USA vs. Made In the USA have a distinct line separating the 2.

Good to know. I sit on my ass corrected.
post #13 of 26 Old 05-26-2017, 02:35 PM
Rock God

Don't worry JeepGirl, we know school is almost over and you teachers turn your brain off for the summer.

2010 2 door manual sport
post #14 of 26 Old 05-26-2017, 03:06 PM
Rock God

Quote:

I went to the link and read some. It makes a good case that they should indicate, somewhere on the site, that some products are of foreign origin.

Last edited by BigTB; 05-26-2017 at 03:09 PM.
post #15 of 26 Old 05-26-2017, 03:23 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treader View Post
Don't worry JeepGirl, we know school is almost over and you teachers turn your brain off for the summer.
Mine is rarely on anyway.
post #16 of 26 Old 05-26-2017, 03:28 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I'm [naturally] blonde and a decent percentage Polish. That's all the excuse I need.
post #17 of 26 Old 05-26-2017, 05:53 PM
Rock God

I think Rancho needs to be honest and change their website. I have had 3 pairs of their shocks and wont bother with anything else unless they have a little truth in advertising. I read the knuckle post and then went and looked at their site and it absolutely is laid out so you believe you are buying a usa made knuckle. not cool at all.
post #18 of 26 Old 05-26-2017, 07:44 PM
DJ1
Rock God

...and to think I almost gave up on this forum. Glad to see members who still understand the concept of "integrity" and have an ounce of moral fiber in their bodies to give a shit.

Godspeed to those that give a damn. May you have a very happy and safe holiday weekend.

post #19 of 26 Old 05-26-2017, 09:56 PM
Rock God

Quote:
I'm [naturally] blonde and a decent percentage Polish. That's all the excuse I need.
So, there is not much hope for you...
post #20 of 26 Old 05-27-2017, 08:56 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Scooter View Post
So, there is not much hope for you...
Probably true.

Depends on what kind of hope you're talking about though. I was smart enough (or, rather probably dumb enough) to get my M.A. in educational leadership with a 4.0 GPA.

Other than that, my life is a hot mess, so... no hope there at the moment.

2016 JKU Sport S Granite Crystal Metallic
Mods: 2.5" Teraflex lift kit w/ 9550 shocks, 1/2" front spring spacers, Teraflex JK 9550 steering stabilizer, Teraflex JK Front explorer bumper w/ hoop, Magnaflow axle back exhaust, Teraflex HD hinged carrier & adjustable spare tire, 17" Pro Comp Helldorado wheels, 35" MTZ P3s, Superchips Flashcal programmer, Freedom hardtop & Trektop NX, Brandmotion rear vision camera, remote start, Mopar slush and cargo mats, Wild Boar grab bars/handles.
post #21 of 26 Old 05-27-2017, 09:22 AM
DJ1
Rock God

Quote:
Probably true.

Depends on what kind of hope you're talking about though. I was smart enough (or, rather probably dumb enough) to get my M.A. in educational leadership with a 4.0 GPA.

Hey JeepGirl83, with the school year ending and the job on the line, any new prospects? Just curious what teachers try to fall back on when the job market takes a turn? Good luck either way.

On another note, we probably shouldn't junk up this thread. I hear bad, bad, bad things can happen.

post #22 of 26 Old 05-27-2017, 09:31 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Quote:
Probably true.

Hey JeepGirl83, with the school year ending and the job on the line, any new prospects? Just curious what teachers try to fall back on when the job market takes a turn? Good luck either way.

On another note, we probably shouldn't junk up this thread. I hear bad, bad, bad things can happen.

Sadly, I've been here before. I was let go from a different school district in 2014, and after litigation sprawled over several months, I finally won a settlement of $35,000. I tried teaching... I tried the business world. The problem with teaching is I've got 10 years experience and a master's degree (read: I'm far more expensive to take a risk on than a 22-year-old newbie out of college). The business world wants experience in that particular field. I guess grading thousands upon thousands of student essays and analyzing countless literary texts doesn't qualify me.

I've been applying for jobs since the middle of March. I have one potential lead, but my buddy who works at that district thinks the principal (whom I've worked for before as a long-term substitute in two different positions) won't do anything with the position until school is out in the next week or two. I fear that district administration will dictate who he hires, even though he has explicitly told me he wants to hire me.
post #23 of 26 Old 05-27-2017, 01:44 PM
Granite Guru

Jeepgirl, good luck with job hunting. I am envious about teachers getting the summer off but it would be stressful not knowing where you are going to work.
Made in USA stuff isn't what it appears. One of the industries I work in has distinct rules about it. To reflect and use a fictional knuckle as a example. The iron gets mined and smelted in the USA. Shipped to China and is cast. Shipped back to the USA and is final machined then painted with China made Powder Coat. This may qualify for made in USA status. But it was clearly made in China. I guess the point is if you are buying something like a knuckle you should contact the company first.
For the moderator, I agree completely. If a company is actually posting new information or media then I look through it. If they are just bumping a thread I learn to disregard and won't do business with them. Shameless bumping seems like a vacuum cleaner salesman's tactic.

2014 JKUR, 2.5 JKS lift, Poison Spyder flares and covers
post #24 of 26 Old 05-27-2017, 05:14 PM
Rock God

Quote:

Quote:
The business world wants experience in that particular field. I guess grading thousands upon thousands of student essays and analyzing countless literary texts doesn't qualify me.

I've been applying for jobs since the middle of March. I have one potential lead, but my buddy who works at that district thinks the principal (whom I've worked for before as a long-term substitute in two different positions) won't do anything with the position until school is out in the next week or two. I fear that district administration will dictate who he hires, even though he has explicitly told me he wants to hire me.
JeepGirl,

I think you are either selling yourself short or giving up too easily or both. Some people in the business world want experience. Some people (companies) are willing to train. They just hire smart people who can learn.

Case in point. I used to work in a highly technical industry. We constantly struggled to find and hire people with experience. Often times they simply did not exist. So we hired smart people and trained them. Hundreds and hundreds of them. One of my favorite examples is a guy I hired with an English degree. He ultimately became my top business process engineer. I could give him an assignment to figure out how to solve a complex, messed up business process. He would dive in, analyze the current state and develop a future state that almost always involved developing completely new software tools to automate many of the manual steps that were messing up the process. This guy wrote the business requirements and managed the IT code developers to deliver some cutting edge software that is used by some of the biggest names in our industry now. I hired him with absolutely no background, or experience. An English major. Who would have guessed.

My point is those jobs are out there. You just have to find them. Sure, most jobs require experience. But some do not. You have to find someone who is willing to take a risk on hiring a smart person and training them. If everybody had to had previous experience going in, how would anyone get a job??

And my last thought. Unlike your profession, most people do not have an educational background in the field they are working in. Sure, almost all teachers majored in education. But in the business world, it seems that only applies to people working in Accounting. Everybody else majored in whatever! Very few people I know actually work in the field they went to school for. Very few! And in the industry I worked in, high tech, very few people had a degree in computer science or electrical engineering! Hell, I have a degree in Civil Engineering and ended up doing nothing at all related to my degree. Same was true of my peers.
post #25 of 26 Old 05-28-2017, 07:23 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleophile View Post
Quote:

Quote:
The business world wants experience in that particular field. I guess grading thousands upon thousands of student essays and analyzing countless literary texts doesn't qualify me.

JeepGirl,

I think you are either selling yourself short or giving up too easily or both. Some people in the business world want experience. Some people (companies) are willing to train. They just hire smart people who can learn.

Case in point. I used to work in a highly technical industry. We constantly struggled to find and hire people with experience. Often times they simply did not exist. So we hired smart people and trained them. Hundreds and hundreds of them. One of my favorite examples is a guy I hired with an English degree. He ultimately became my top business process engineer. I could give him an assignment to figure out how to solve a complex, messed up business process. He would dive in, analyze the current state and develop a future state that almost always involved developing completely new software tools to automate many of the manual steps that were messing up the process. This guy wrote the business requirements and managed the IT code developers to deliver some cutting edge software that is used by some of the biggest names in our industry now. I hired him with absolutely no background, or experience. An English major. Who would have guessed.

My point is those jobs are out there. You just have to find them. Sure, most jobs require experience. But some do not. You have to find someone who is willing to take a risk on hiring a smart person and training them. If everybody had to had previous experience going in, how would anyone get a job??

And my last thought. Unlike your profession, most people do not have an educational background in the field they are working in. Sure, almost all teachers majored in education. But in the business world, it seems that only applies to people working in Accounting. Everybody else majored in whatever! Very few people I know actually work in the field they went to school for. Very few! And in the industry I worked in, high tech, very few people had a degree in computer science or electrical engineering! Hell, I have a degree in Civil Engineering and ended up doing nothing at all related to my degree. Same was true of my peers.
It's highly possible I don't extend my search far enough to even attempt to apply for positions far enough out of my perceived skill set. It's overwhelming, to say the least. With a degree in English, I have applied in the medical field (used to work in it during and after college), the copywrighting/editing field, the travel field (I currently work from home as a travel agent part-time... client base isn't large enough to support me yet), and the training field. I can't even get an interview in most cases. And in others, the pay isn't high enough to pay my mortgage and Jeep payments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode