Discount Tire incompetence - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 01-08-2016, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Discount Tire incompetence

So I take my wife car in to the local Discount Tire store to have the tires rotated. The main reason is its snowing where I'm at and I would like to have the tires ballanced also. After I did pay for the warranty & life time tire rotation & balancing.

I get checked in ok and about 10 minutes later the guy from the counter comes over to me and askes if the car has been slipping in the snow. I tell him yes and that's why I want the reartire which have more tread on the on the front. The salesmen states that he recommends that the tire with more tread stay on the rear of the car. I ask him why? It's a front wheel drive car, all stearing and turning is done with the front tires. I said it would make sense if it was rear wheel drive but its not, all the rear tires do is break and hold the rearend up. The salesman then state the front tires are to worn to be rotated at which point I ask for my keys back and tell him I'll do it myself.

I'm not sure how I offended him, but I left Discount Tire never wanting to ever go back to them again even for a warranty issue. I think they were busy and they didn't want to do the rotation or they were trying to sell me another set of tires.

opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one and some stink
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-09-2016, 09:24 AM
Rock God

It's common for tire places to recommend the tires with more tread be on the rear of a front drive car in snow. The idea is that if you try to turn and the front pushes (understeer) it's more controllable for most average drivers than it would be if the rear of the car kicked out (oversteer), which would be much more difficult for the average driver to correct.

Remember, the front tires only do the steering in as much as they direct the direction of the front of the car. If the front of the car turns and the back doesn't follow along you will spin out, possibly losing control. If the front tires break loose first you will stay going straight and it won't feel as out of control. Still not good, but easier to deal with and less freaky for many drivers.

Not saying any of this applies to you, but only that it is common for places to recommend that setup (better tires on the rear).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode