just realized I got screwed when I bought my Jeep - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 08-22-2008, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom
just realized I got screwed when I bought my Jeep

I was digging in my glovebox for something the other day and found my window sticker. So I figured I'd look over again for old times sake - next week will be the 1 year mark.
Anyway, the more I read, the more pissed I got!
first thing that caught my eye was that I was supposed to have front and rear tow hooks, only had front, so unless the trailer hitch supersedes a rear hook, I got shanked there, but then the biggie, I was supposed to have a Sunrider top!
But I received the standard soft top.
The sunrider is the one that the front folds back seperately right?
I doubt theres much I can do at this point since its been a year, but I do feel kinda shanked.
The window sticker was already removed when I got there to get the jeep and it was the only Rubi available for a couple hundred miles around when I got it so there wasn't a lot of shopping involved.
Anyway, just venting.
When you buy a JK, check and make sure you get what you pay for!
These things are so easy to swap parts on to make a sale make sure yours matches the sticker.
Someone probably wanted a sunrider on another vehicle and they swapped them out to make that sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 08-22-2008, 11:25 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

As far as I know, there is only one soft top and yes the receiver replaces the tow hook.
post #3 of 27 Old 08-22-2008, 11:35 AM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

reciver does replace the tow hook.

There are the two different soft tops and the sunrider is the one that opens up over the front half.

My understanding is the dual top group overides the sunrider and makes it a standard soft top and hard top.

Do you have the dual top?

Does it list standard soft top under the optional equipment list?

If both of those are a no I would go back to the dealership, they really should do something about that. MAy not be able to get a replacment top out the deal (which they SHOULD do) but maybe you could get some free service vouchers or aftermarket parts or something instead....man...I am curious to check mine now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 08-22-2008, 11:48 AM
Rock God

There is only one soft top. The sunrider is a function of the front half HAVING to fold back in order for the top to go down on a 4 door. No other way to do it.

2009 was the first year you can get a tow hook AND reciever.
post #5 of 27 Old 08-22-2008, 11:55 AM
Rock God

weren't there were some early 2007 models that did not come with the sunrider top? i know this is the case for the 2-doors (it was an option after a while, but not available at all for real early models), but not sure about 4-doors.

Last edited by mcnaught6; 08-22-2008 at 11:59 AM.
post #6 of 27 Old 08-22-2008, 11:56 AM
Openly Hostile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
There is only one soft top. The sunrider is a function of the front half HAVING to fold back in order for the top to go down on a 4 door. No other way to do it.

2009 was the first year you can get a tow hook AND reciever.
That's not correct. The sunrider top can fold the front of the top back without taking the top completely down.

Jason
post #7 of 27 Old 08-22-2008, 11:58 AM
Banned

that is really weird then extremjeepin.

On the Jeep website you can ADD a "sunrider" soft top for $250. I don't know why you would be able to add one at an additional price if it is standard. It also gives a description...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep.com
SunriderŪ Soft Top $250

The SunriderŪ Soft Top lets you quickly get cover or let the sun shine in without having to fold down the entire top. It’s like a sunroof for the Soft Top. Sunrider is a registered trademark of Bestop, Inc.
What makes what you are saying about the sunrider being the only choice strange is my top does not fold down on the front.

I do admit though, I have a 2 door, maybe the sunrider is the only option for the 4 door as I have not researched those

Last edited by WTF_LOL; 08-22-2008 at 12:00 PM.
post #8 of 27 Old 08-22-2008, 12:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnaught6 View Post
weren't there were some early 2007 models that did not come with the sunrider top? i know this is the case for the 2-doors (it was an option after a while, but not available at all for real early models), but not sure about 4-doors.
Jeeps website still lists the Sunrider as an option for the current model, again though, I did not research the 4 doors yet
post #9 of 27 Old 08-22-2008, 12:09 PM
Rock God

How else are you guys going to fit 8 foot of soft top into the back of the Jeep??

The ONLY way for a 4 door to fold down would be to have the front section fold seperately. On a 2 door it would need an extra hinge and attachment point. So I can see how a 2 door might have originally come without it.
post #10 of 27 Old 08-22-2008, 12:10 PM
Openly Hostile

I have dual tops on a 2door and don't have it. Built Jan of 07.

Jason
post #11 of 27 Old 08-22-2008, 12:12 PM
Openly Hostile

The sunrider on the unlimited folds back so that both front and rear seats are open does it not?

Jason
post #12 of 27 Old 08-22-2008, 12:13 PM
Rock God

You guys with the 2 doors are missing the point. The OP has a 4 door. So all your talk about soft tops is pointless to the OP Jeep.
post #13 of 27 Old 08-22-2008, 12:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yup, I think all of the 4 doors have a sun rider. I think the option is only available on two doors, but what do I know? I got dual tops and my soft top is a sun rider, at least it folds back like one. I never use it that way though. It just takes a second more to fold it all the way.
post #14 of 27 Old 08-22-2008, 12:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
You guys with the 2 doors are missing the point. The OP has a 4 door. So all your talk about soft tops is pointless to the OP Jeep.

You are correct, the Sunrider is standard on all curent 4 door models. It is an option on the 2 door. I read your first post as saying there is no other soft top other then the sunrider. I missed the "on a 4 door" part.

I belive in 2007 is was an option even on the 4 door but I can no longer find that info.

this is all irrelevant though. The OP said he did NOT have the sunrider. His sticker said it was listed as being installed but he did not have it.

I suppose the real question is, how sure are you that you do not have the Sunrider as it is now standard equipment on the current model 4 door?
post #15 of 27 Old 08-22-2008, 12:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
Someone probably wanted a sunrider on another vehicle and they swapped them out to make that sale.
I can't agree more. I had a girlfriend that bought a 4runner. She wanted the cargo cover that recoils behind the rear seat. Those things cost like $700 to buy later. The sales guy just took one out of another 4runner on the lot, lol. Maybe he was jokin but when we asked him he just chuckled and said "they will probably never even notice". I just thought wow, and wondered if that is why the 4runner she was buying didn't have one.

Ever since then I always check the listed equipment when buying...
post #16 of 27 Old 08-22-2008, 12:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorHead View Post
Yup, I think all of the 4 doors have a sun rider. I think the option is only available on two doors, but what do I know? I got dual tops and my soft top is a sun rider, at least it folds back like one. I never use it that way though. It just takes a second more to fold it all the way.
Yes that's correct - 4 door equals sun rider (the only way it comes). And the tow hook is replaced by the hitch. I still have the tow hook and it uses the same mounting holes as the the hitch receiver would. It's basically a hook welded onto the same bracket the receiver would be welded to otherwise.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #17 of 27 Old 08-22-2008, 01:37 PM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to Big A

I am going to believe that there is only ONE style of soft top until i see proof that there are 2 versions, And i don't mean 2 or 4 door.

Phase 1 Complete. Sold JK
Phase 2 Complete. Bought a Tow Rig
Phase 3 on-hold. Buying a trail rig. Thinking a TJ or XJ
post #18 of 27 Old 08-22-2008, 01:38 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF_LOL View Post
You are correct, the Sunrider is standard on all curent 4 door models. It is an option on the 2 door. I read your first post as saying there is no other soft top other then the sunrider. I missed the "on a 4 door" part.

I belive in 2007 is was an option even on the 4 door but I can no longer find that info.

this is all irrelevant though. The OP said he did NOT have the sunrider. His sticker said it was listed as being installed but he did not have it.

I suppose the real question is, how sure are you that you do not have the Sunrider as it is now standard equipment on the current model 4 door?
Im pretty sure it was an option on very early 2007 4drs. I remember when we ordered ours in feb 07, the non-sunrider was still listed as an option, but the salesman told us it was now standard. I think he said it was only an option for the first month or so of the 07 4dr X's before it got changed.

Brian
post #19 of 27 Old 08-22-2008, 01:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big A View Post
I am going to believe that there is only ONE style of soft top until i see proof that there are 2 versions, And i don't mean 2 or 4 door.
you keel me
post #20 of 27 Old 08-22-2008, 01:56 PM
Openly Hostile

I also read the post wrong thinking you said there were only sunriders period. my bad.

Jason
post #21 of 27 Old 08-22-2008, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

ok ok ok so I'm an idiot.
I fully retract this thread!

I actually READ the sticker instead of just glancing at it while digging the glock out of the glove box and saw the trailer hitch= rear hook delete and that the sunrider was listed under standard features.
I guess I changed my soft top long enough ago that I dont remember.
I DO remember trying to fikd back the front once and it didnt want to work right so I never messed with it again.

Quote:
post #22 of 27 Old 08-22-2008, 04:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
ok ok ok so I'm an idiot.
I fully retract this thread!

I actually READ the sticker instead of just glancing at it while digging the glock out of the glove box and saw the trailer hitch= rear hook delete and that the sunrider was listed under standard features.
I guess I changed my soft top long enough ago that I dont remember.
I DO remember trying to fikd back the front once and it didnt want to work right so I never messed with it again.
Don't worry about it. We put the soft top up once and drove it for a day or two. Then we folded it back down, removed it when we put the hard top back on. It's been in storage for almost a year now. I only knew because of the card they sent to show "the new way" to fold the top. Then I read the owners manual

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #23 of 27 Old 08-22-2008, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

I had mine up and down dozens of times, just never in the 'sunrider' position, then I yanked it off and put my ORH on and never looked back till now
it's still folded up in the corner of my workshop

Quote:
post #24 of 27 Old 08-22-2008, 08:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I don't think it has that cool hand grip like in the pics for the 2-door either, oh well maybe in the fall we'll try it for a while again.

Quote:
post #25 of 27 Old 08-23-2008, 11:21 AM
Rock God

Man, we only run hardtops around here when it snows.

The sunrider is actually really nice for my 2 dogs. I can take the windows out, flip the front back so we are topless, but keep the dogs in the shade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode