Lo range isn't low enough - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 08-13-2008, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Lo range isn't low enough

My only real gripe about the JK is that on the X and Sahara models that the transfer case gearing in lo range are not low enough. Mostly just first gear. When trying to climb over rocks and roots in tight turns I found that I needed a lower first gear. As it is our V6's don't have any low end grunt so we have to make up for it with lower gearing and it should have come with the same T-case as the Rubicon so you had lower gearing. So I'm looking into getting a atlas II T-case in the future. I like the Hi range so far and I like getting 22.9mpg with them, but that Lo range needs some help. That's pretty much my only complaint of any magnatude. There are some little things but I can live with them.

Silver 07 JK 2dr. hard top, 6sp,4.10's,255.75r17's BFG Mud Terrains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-13-2008, 01:17 PM
Rock God

If you ran an auto tranny you wouldn't be saying that. The torque converter makes it work great. I'm running 35's with 4.10's and don't have any problems.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-13-2008, 03:59 PM
gcg

You might think about just swapping a Rubicon T-case instead of the Atlas II - it would probably be a much easier swap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-14-2008, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

The Atlas II is now made to drop right in without any mods. I think there is a mod. that has to be done. I don't remember what it was, but it was $300.oo , But I don't know if that is 100% true or not. Plus with the Atla's I could go to 5.0 to 1 or even 6.0 to 1, and still keep my hi range the same. I really don't think I would want to go to 6.0 to 1, but the 4.3 or 5.0 to 1 would do the trick. It really doesn't matter right now because I can't afford it for awhile. LOL

Silver 07 JK 2dr. hard top, 6sp,4.10's,255.75r17's BFG Mud Terrains.

Last edited by Rupedog; 08-14-2008 at 11:19 AM.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-14-2008, 02:04 PM
Rock God

Garage

Doesn't Atlas have that bolt-on torque converter coming out this fall? Would that solve the problem with the least amount of effort?

I'm thinking about it, but, alas, I'm also trying to buy a house, so I just ordered my last set of parts for the next 8 months or so =(

!c
post #6 of 8 Old 08-14-2008, 03:57 PM
Rock God

That is for automatics only. Works like a crawl box.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-14-2008, 04:40 PM
Rock God

Garage

Ooops, forgot the OP had a standard.

!c
post #8 of 8 Old 08-19-2008, 10:42 PM
PIG
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupedog View Post
Plus with the Atla's I could go to 5.0 to 1 or even 6.0 to 1, and still keep my hi range the same. I really don't think I would want to go to 6.0 to 1, but the 4.3 or 5.0 to 1 would do the trick.
I got a 5.0 Atlas and its definitely the way to go....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USE CODE: JKO10 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
//
//

//
//

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode