Hey Look - my JK now shares something with my old TJ - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 08-06-2008, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Hey Look - my JK now shares something with my old TJ

So, after a few hours of moderate rain yesterday (tropical storm? I get more rain in the average summer shower!) I found that my JK has now developed a quality that I once got used to on my TJ....

I got in this morning, and there was 3" of water in the passenger floorboard. =(

I would like to say that it comes in from the front of the door near the a-pillar, but I can't be sure of that, because it was under the seat also, but not in the rear passenger footwell.

I also noticed that, unlike the TJ, the carpet is attached around the seat foot? I have to cut the carpet or remove the seat to get that section out. WTF YO?!

!c
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-06-2008, 10:39 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

if you dont want the carpet then just pull it really hard

NATE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-06-2008, 10:48 AM
Rock God

you shouldnt need to cut it. It is tucked under and folded around so it seems attached. After some pulling and folding I took all the carpet out of my 4 door without cutting a single piece of it.

2006 LJ - current
2007 4dr Rubicon - sold Project- JK
2007 2dr X - sold JK-forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-06-2008, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjerm View Post
you shouldnt need to cut it. It is tucked under and folded around so it seems attached. After some pulling and folding I took all the carpet out of my 4 door without cutting a single piece of it.
Ahh, that makes sense then - I was just trying to get at it from the driver's side (was still raining, and I didn't feel like getting any more wet than I was), and found that I couldn't get it out from that perspective, just pulled "up a bit". I remember in the TJ, I could just pull from under the seat and the whole section would come up easy.

Although, I did find some sort of plastic bolt that I have no idea where it came from. Gray colored... will have to post a pic of it later. It definitely didn't come from something I carried in the Jeep, as it's of a design that would've stuck out on any other project.

!c
post #5 of 10 Old 08-06-2008, 11:31 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdrone View Post
Although, I did find some sort of plastic bolt that I have no idea where it came from. Gray colored... will have to post a pic of it later. It definitely didn't come from something I carried in the Jeep, as it's of a design that would've stuck out on any other project.
I found one under each front seat some time back, couldn't figure where they came from, so tossed them away.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-06-2008, 12:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

There are a few studs that these plastic nuts hold the carpet down on. One under each seat and a couple on the firewall. They are finger tight and you loosen by turning. They just push back on. Also, you may have to snip one little section of the carpet around the seat post. Mine wasn't cut all of the way from the factory. You don't have to remove the seat, the carpet will pull out around it.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-06-2008, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Yup, those gray plastic bolts are from the carpet, I seem to have three of them after removing the passenger footwell area. They definitely didn't cut the carpet the whole way, I could see where they did part and didn't finish. I just tore it the rest of the way.

The middle foam/plastic section in the carpet really holds water. I had to turn it sideways to let it drain out, and it took a good 15 minutes for it all to come dripping out. That would explain why it didn't dry at all while still in the jeep.

Anyone else's jeep have a bunch of rubber sprayed under the carpet? In the passenger footwell, I had lines of the stuff that had been squirted in there, before they painted the tub. I guess it's there either for comfort, or sound-deadening. But I wasn't expecting to find that!

!c
post #8 of 10 Old 08-15-2008, 03:25 PM
Granite Guru

in the 2 door you need to unbolt the seat well one bolt to pull the carpet without ripping it don't you?
post #9 of 10 Old 08-15-2008, 03:28 PM
Wheeler

No, you dont.

Most of the carpet isnt coming from the factory compleatly cut. The side you need to cut is facing away from the jeep on both sides. Its about 1/4" maybe a little less to cut, and regular scissors will do the trick.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-12-2009, 07:22 PM
Granite Guru

I have the same problem with rain coming in and filling my passenger floorboard.
As far as finding the gray things after pulling out the carpet, I found three extra ones, not including the two that hold the carpet, an extra drain plug, an ink pen and a Burger King recepit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode