Beware OCONEE Offroad BUYER BEWARE - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 Old 04-29-2010, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Beware OCONEE Offroad BUYER BEWARE

I wanted to pass this on to my fellow JKO's about what I think is Bad Business practices. I'll try and keep this short and focus on the key points.

6 months ago I wanted a Rock Krawler tie rod. I found the cheapest price on ebay from a seller Oconee (Oconeeoffroad.com). I selected "Buy it Now" and sent a payment via PayPal. I received a confirmation from PayPal and Oconee that the payment was received and the order was being processed.

A few days later I received an email from Oconee that they were refunding me my money because they were out of stock of the item they had listed and bought. WTF. Listed to sell but not in stock? Anyway shit happens and I blew it off. Mistake#1

I apparently did not learn my lesson and found myself on the Oconee website Friday night April 23 looking for a Rock Krawler drag link. Their site showed that they had them for sale and free shipping so I took the bait again. Mistake #2. I purchased the item, and sent the payment via PayPal. I received confirmations again from both PayPal and Oconee.

I hadn't heard anything from Oconee Monday so Tuesday, I called Oconee to check on shipping and spoke with K******a. She told me that she was just about to email me about my order. She told me that the Rock Krawler drag link was on backorder and they were going to refund me the money. I told her that this was the second time I had ordered a part from them, paid for it, and they couldn't produce the merchandise.

I asked her if they had their parts drop shipped from RK? She said no, we get them from 4 Wheel. So I asked her if I called 4 Wheel they would tell me they were out of stock. She said yes, that they sold the last one this morning. I asked her what happened to the part I bought and paid for on Friday? She really didn't have an answer so I asked for the owner. She said the owner was Richard and was out to lunch, this was about 11am. I told her to make sure that Richard got my name and number and to return my call. She said she would make sure Richard called me back.

I then called 4 Wheel and spoke to "L***E" and he said that they had several RK drag link's in stock.

Well no return call from Richard at Oconee on Wednesday or today.

On a positive note Rock Krawler being the awesome company we all know they are with outstanding customer service, offered to contact them and they would take care of me. I'll be giving my money to Jeremy at Rock Krawler.

Sorry so long, but these are the facts

Oconee, Go n-ithe an cat thú is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

(May the cat eat you and the devil eat the cat)

Póg mo thóin!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 04-29-2010, 09:20 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Dang, more proof that customer service is dead. Except for top notch outfits like RK. I've also really been impressed with TeraFlex and TrailDuty. Rusty's was not a good experience at all.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 54 Old 04-29-2010, 09:40 PM
Rock God

Garage

Step 1: Take Money
Step 2: Refund Money
Step 3: Profit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 Old 04-29-2010, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quadratec left a bad taste in my mouth today as well. I won't elaborate unless someone wants, but you just have to be wary of what some company's are telling you. Sorry about your experience techcrash.

PhilD + Trail Duty = no BS.......always.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #5 of 54 Old 04-29-2010, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Quadratec left a bad taste in my mouth today as well. I won't elaborate unless someone wants, but you just have to be wary of what some company's are telling you. Sorry about your experience techcrash.

Thanks Stub. I learned my lesson, just hope others think twice when buying from places that have questionable intentions.

We need a Buy / Don't Buy from thread that people can post yeah or neah with reasons. Just a thought.

Póg mo thóin!
post #6 of 54 Old 04-29-2010, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk_techcrash View Post

We need a Buy / Don't Buy from thread that people can post yeah or neah with reasons. Just a thought.
I actually thought about starting a thread a while back about good & bad experiences buying stuff from jkowners members.

Not a bad idea with the vendor dealings....but, well....it seems like as soon as anyone does have a bad experience with a vendor, it gets to the board pretty quick- lol.

But you might be on to something, in that a dedicated thread would make it easier for interested members to read all the good and bad without doing a lot of searching.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #7 of 54 Old 04-30-2010, 07:09 AM
Wheeler

Garage

I've had the same issue with Oconee (Oconeeoffroad.com). Good prices but then they say not in stock. Probably when they check on drop shipping they realize they are not making enough money and drop the order. I understand they need to make money - they just need to update their prices!
post #8 of 54 Old 04-30-2010, 08:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Oconee sucks. I stopped by their store when I was up that way a while back to look around and saw a set of seats I liked. I asked the guy how much they were and he said "I'm not sure, let me check. 20 minutes later (after he answered the phone 4 times) He told me "I can't find the price. I'll have to get your number and call you."
I thought that was weird, but, ok.
I still haven't heard from them.
post #9 of 54 Old 04-30-2010, 08:13 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:

Phil is da MAN! And I'm not just saying that because he's in TX (which is a big plus ) But because he always comes thru, and will give you the best deal.
post #10 of 54 Old 04-30-2010, 10:14 AM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to kerryp Send a message via Skype™ to kerryp

I had the same problem with them on the exact same part (RK Drag Link) and I did it on the 24th,,,,it was like deja vu reading your post. I will not ever order anything through them again, I actually called RK to ask about stock and was told they did not know who Oconee was and they were not a dealer, so it makes sense they were getting them through 4WP, Unfortunately I couldnt afford the increase in price to buy one from RK yet, so I went back to stock until down the road when I can afford to upgrade again...like the old saying goes, if it looks to good to be true,,,,,,I usually call a shop first to make sure the parts in stock, but I saw their note that free shipping ended the day I was ordering, so I took the chance...

ジープ
@CigarsNJeeps
post #11 of 54 Old 04-30-2010, 10:33 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

dude you speak gaelic???
post #12 of 54 Old 04-30-2010, 11:13 AM
JKO Addict!

I bought a steering stab from them. Bought on a Sunday and had the part by Wednesday. I only went with them because of the cost.

I guess this goes to show the definitely calling to check status on stock prior to ordering is the way to go.
post #13 of 54 Old 04-30-2010, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBirish View Post
dude you speak gaelic???
I was wondering if any one would notice. I have been trying to learn for a few months now. It takes alot now that I am older and brain not so spongey. Notice my signature.

Póg mo thóin!
post #14 of 54 Old 04-30-2010, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Garage

Sometimes the lowest price isn't the best idea.

Support the JKO Vendors.

/thread.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #15 of 54 Old 04-30-2010, 02:53 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk_techcrash View Post
I was wondering if any one would notice. I have been trying to learn for a few months now. It takes alot now that I am older and brain not so spongey. Notice my signature.
LOL @ the sig, I tried learning once but didnt get much past the hi how are you. connus ta tu

my mother knows a lot though. good luck keep it up, its a beautiful language
post #16 of 54 Old 04-30-2010, 04:10 PM
Rock God

Go directly to Rock Krawler when you need something. They will give you a JKO forum discount and be honest with you about any delay. I was told there would be a possible 3-5 day delay since they were a little backed up on making the arms I was looking for. But it was sent and delivered exactly as I was told. On three occassions of buying from them. Oh and although the directions sent usually suck the techs you can speak with are friendly and conscientious.

08 2dr X, Rock Krawler Arms and front truss, C Gussets, FT 3" Springs, JKS Trackbars & Discos, AEV Snorkel, Warn Front Bumper, Rancho Rear Bumper, 35" BFG KM2, Recon 10500 Winch, Synthetic Line, Coast Rear Shaft 1350, KC Slimlites, Cobra 75 CB
post #17 of 54 Old 04-30-2010, 04:26 PM
Rock God

Quote:
X 1000000, Phil is a stand up guy!!

HANG ON TIGHT...I SAW THIS IN A CARTOON ONCE...I THINK I CAN DO IT!!
08 4 DOOR, FLAME RED, 3" SKYJACKER LIFT, 325/70-17 NITTO TERRA GRAPPLERS, MOTO METAL 951 WHEELS, RANCHO REAR BUMPER/TIRE CARRIER,DAYSTAR HOOD WRANGLERS, RAINGLER GRIPS, MOPAR SLUSH MATS
post #18 of 54 Old 04-30-2010, 04:55 PM
Granite Guru

Since I live in Georgia, I've thought about trying them. Now I won't. Thanks for the heads up.

Everybody has a photographic memory. Some people just have no film.
post #19 of 54 Old 05-01-2010, 09:56 AM
Wheeler

dang they have the lowest prices for the RK kits.

Oh well looks like I will have to spend a couple hundred more dollars on it.
post #20 of 54 Old 05-02-2010, 08:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman8706 View Post
dang they have the lowest prices for the RK kits.

Oh well looks like I will have to spend a couple hundred more dollars on it.
No they don't. I've got the lowest price on those. I'll get ya setup for just $50.00

The above statement may have less than the daily recommended amount of truthiness, so I will simply inform you we're out of stock if you ask me for one.

post #21 of 54 Old 05-03-2010, 07:33 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
No they don't. I've got the lowest price on those. I'll get ya setup for just $50.00

The above statement may have less than the daily recommended amount of truthiness, so I will simply inform you we're out of stock if you ask me for one.
post #22 of 54 Old 05-08-2010, 10:30 PM

I bought some ARB stuff and a speedo gear from these guys. They sent my stuff out quicker than I thought, but one of the two items did indeed drop ship from 4wheelparts. After dealing with 4wheelparts in the past, I can understand how the OP's situation could become confounded in such a manner.
post #23 of 54 Old 05-09-2010, 10:29 PM
Rock God

Garage

i have bought a couple things, but nothing serious. my windshield light brackets and headlight and tail light guards, thats it. i did because i dont have to pay for shipping bc theyre 10 minutes away from me and i dont have to wait. they called me the next day when it came in and i went and got it. never had a problem. but like i said, it was little stuff.

Life's hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
post #24 of 54 Old 05-09-2010, 11:52 PM
ADDICTION II build begins....

Quote:
I actually thought about starting a thread a while back about good & bad experiences buying stuff from jkowners members.

Not a bad idea with the vendor dealings....but, well....it seems like as soon as anyone does have a bad experience with a vendor, it gets to the board pretty quick- lol.

But you might be on to something, in that a dedicated thread would make it easier for interested members to read all the good and bad without doing a lot of searching.

Only problem is it would become a chat thread that would become lengthy and hard to track Dow posts related to specific vendors

U.S. Army
post #25 of 54 Old 05-10-2010, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

^ Yea- I agree. It might just turn into a lot of mud slinging throughout numerous pages.

I also was thinking after reading this OP, that with most experiences and vendors, you get good feedback along with the bad, so opinions might get canceled out over time. Plus the fact, that good vendors can certainly make mistakes, and probably shouldn't be raked over the coals on every occasion.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode