LoD = Not so great experience - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 04-14-2010, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

LoD = Not so great experience

A little over a month ago I pulled the trigger on some new bumpers from a company down in Oxford, IN called LoD Off Road. I was a little hesitant due to not having the greatest experience last year when I ordered my rock sliders. I figured I would give him one more chance because I had read of others having a better experience and his products seemed to be pretty good quality. I placed the order via telephone as I figured there would be less chance of a mistake if I spoke directly with the owner of the shop versus placing an order on his web site.

There didn't seem to be any problems when I placed the order, and he said the bumpers would be ready in about 4wks and he'd give me a call. I indicated I'd pick the bumpers up to save on the shipping cost and I had asked for an extra tab for a flag mount, though I'd have to get back to him with the where. I asked if he could save me any additional money because I was buying both bumpers together and he hooked up me up with a little extra money off ($60).

Two weeks later I got back to him advising where I wanted the extra tab for the flag and confirmed that I wasn't too late in getting him the info. Fast forward to this past Monday when I get messaged from my wife that big box was just delivered via FedEx. I ask her to check the shipping label and sure enough it's from LoD so I gave Chris (the owner) a call to see what was going on and why she shipped since we had agreed that I would be picking it up. A moment of pause (insert rustling of papers here) and he comes back with he didn't have that on my order.

He gets all apologetic saying he didn't have it written down and that he'd make it up to me by discounting the freight from the flat rate he charges now. Maybe I missed my mark to speak up and contest at this moment, maybe I didn't. I mean what could I really say, my rear bumper had already delivered, and my front bumper and rear lights were set up to ship on Monday and the front skid was schedule to ship yesterday/today.

At that moment I felt I didn't have much choice other than to grudgingly allow him to ship the rest and take it in the tailpipe with the freight charges. Considering I was at work, my head really wasn't in the right frame of mind to debate r contest being charge freight for a mistake he made. Heck, I even failed to inquire what the charges were going to be before agreeing to them so with this I do share some blame

Well Tuesday came and I get messaged that two more boxes arrived and that is when I got an idea of what I was being charged for the freight. I called him up again to find out what the actual freight charges were and was going to see if he could or would be willing to cover any more of that charge. Unfortunately I was nipped in the bud, or so it felt. Without being prompted, he brought up the big discount he gave me on the freight and the discount he gave me on the bumpers and the only thing that went through my head was to just drop it.

Then last night I decide to take a peak at the bumper since I wasn't going to have a chance to haul it off to our storage unit and immediately noticed that the bumper in the crate was not the bumper I ordered as it was missing the additional tab on the winch hoop. Worse yet, somehow the metal tabs for the hoop lights were bent causing the powder coat to crack. At this point I'm thinking what the heck, can FedEx not deliver anything of size without damaging it?

I bring this up as when my sliders were delivered last year one of the boxes was damaged in the powder coat on the one slider was chipped. The box for my rear bumper was also damaged, though a quick inspection of it showed nothing detrimental. I understand the shipping part of things is out of his control as that responsibility of the shipping carrier. What I do hold him responsible for is how he handles things that are within his control. I again called Chris to let him know that I think I was shipped the incorrect bumper and let him know about the damage to the light tabs. He was again apologetic and attempted to rectify things giving me a few different options.

One was sending me a bracket I could bolt to the bottom of the lights to hold the flag. Another was sanding of powder coat off of the tabs, bending them back into place and spraying them with duplicolor bed liner. Not the best solution, however I thought it sounded better than shipping the whole bumper back. The last was having him schedule a pick up for the bumper to send it back to his shop, fix the two bent tabs, add the third tab and then re-powder coat them. I then raised the question of what he would be willing to do for me for my trouble if I chose that route. Could he send me a set up D-Rings front and rear or compensate me financially for this all this trouble. He advised me that the D-Rings were out of the question because he doesn't carry accessories like that (primarily only what he builds) and any credit back would be dependant on any claim he filed with FedEx.

With that I opted to just have him pick up the bumper and have it shipped back to his shop to rectify his mistake. I would have been willing to just suck it up and take care of the tabs myself, however since he was unwilling to do what I deemed to be the right thing I said the heck with it and let it cost him more money. I'm willing to admit that maintaining that stance may not be popular; however in the business I work in, if we make a mistake, we rectify it. It doesn't matter if it costs us a several hundred or several thousand dollars, if it’s our mistake we work to fix it on our dime. Of course there are the little petty things like communicating shipping information or making sure the customer gets a copy of an invoice.

All in all though, I consider this experience to be a negative experience and would not consider doing business with LoD again. Nor would I recommend this shop to anyone considering parts for their rigs. I e-mailed him asked if returning the front bumper and skid for a full refund is in the cards and was told it's not possible.
Puncture through box on rear bumper:

Damage to one of the light tabs on the hoop:

Last edited by kkuntz01; 04-14-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 04-14-2010, 08:15 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkuntz01 View Post
A little over a month ago I pulled the trigger on some new bumpers from a company down in Oxford, IN called LoD Off Road. I was a little hesitant due to not having the greatest experience last year when I ordered my rock sliders. I figured I would give him one more chance because I had read of others having a better experience and his products seemed to be pretty good quality. I placed the order via telephone as I figured there would be less chance of a mistake if I spoke directly with the owner of the shop versus placing an order on his web site.

There didn't seem to be any problems when I placed the order, and he said the bumpers would be ready in about 4wks and he'd give me a call. I indicated I'd pick the bumpers up to save on the shipping cost and I had asked for an extra tab for a flag mount, though I'd have to get back to him with the where. I asked if he could save me any additional money because I was buying both bumpers together and he hooked up me up with a little extra money off ($60).

Two weeks later I got back to him advising where I wanted the extra tab for the flag and confirmed that I wasn't too late in getting him the info. Fast forward to this past Monday when I get messaged from my wife that big box was just delivered via FedEx. I ask her to check the shipping label and sure enough it's from LoD so I gave Chris (the owner) a call to see what was going on and why she shipped since we had agreed that I would be picking it up. A moment of pause (insert rustling of papers here) and he comes back with he didn't have that on my order.

He gets all apologetic saying he didn't have it written down and that he'd make it up to me by discounting the freight from the flat rate he charges now. Maybe I missed my mark to speak up and contest at this moment, maybe I didn't. I mean what could I really say, my rear bumper had already delivered, and my front bumper and rear lights were set up to ship on Monday and the front skid was schedule to ship yesterday/today.

At that moment I felt I didn't have much choice other than to grudgingly allow him to ship the rest and take it in the tailpipe with the freight charges. Considering I was at work, my head really wasn't in the right frame of mind to debate r contest being charge freight for a mistake he made. Heck, I even failed to inquire what the charges were going to be before agreeing to them so with this I do share some blame

Well Tuesday came and I get messaged that two more boxes arrived and that is when I got an idea of what I was being charged for the freight. I called him up again to find out what the actual freight charges were and was going to see if he could or would be willing to cover any more of that charge. Unfortunately I was nipped in the bud, or so it felt. Without being prompted, he brought up the big discount he gave me on the freight and the discount he gave me on the bumpers and the only thing that went through my head was to just drop it.

Then last night I decide to take a peak at the bumper since I wasn't going to have a chance to haul it off to our storage unit and immediately noticed that the bumper in the crate was not the bumper I ordered as it was missing the additional tab on the winch hoop. Worse yet, somehow the metal tabs for the hoop lights were bent causing the powder coat to crack. At this point I'm thinking what the heck, can FedEx not deliver anything of size without damaging it?

I bring this up as when my sliders were delivered last year one of the boxes was damaged in the powder coat on the one slider was chipped. The box for my rear bumper was also damaged, though a quick inspection of it showed nothing detrimental. I understand the shipping part of things is out of his control as that responsibility of the shipping carrier. What I do hold him responsible for is how he handles things that are within his control. I again called Chris to let him know that I think I was shipped the incorrect bumper and let him know about the damage to the light tabs. He was again apologetic and attempted to rectify things giving me a few different options.

One was sending me a bracket I could bolt to the bottom of the lights to hold the flag. Another was sanding of powder coat off of the tabs, bending them back into place and spraying them with duplicolor bed liner. Not the best solution, however I thought it sounded better than shipping the whole bumper back. The last was having him schedule a pick up for the bumper to send it back to his shop, fix the two bent tabs, add the third tab and then re-powder coat them. I then raised the question of what he would be willing to do for me for my trouble if I chose that route. Could he send me a set up D-Rings front and rear or compensate me financially for this all this trouble. He advised me that the D-Rings were out of the question because he doesn't carry accessories like that (primarily only what he builds) and any credit back would be dependant on any claim he filed with FedEx.

With that I opted to just have him pick up the bumper and have it shipped back to his shop to rectify his mistake. I would have been willing to just suck it up and take care of the tabs myself, however since he was unwilling to do what I deemed to be the right thing I said the heck with it and let it cost him more money. I'm willing to admit that maintaining that stance may not be popular; however in the business I work in, if we make a mistake, we rectify it. It doesn't matter if it costs us a several hundred or several thousand dollars, if it’s our mistake we work to fix it on our dime. Of course there are the little petty things like communicating shipping information or making sure the customer gets a copy of an invoice.

All in all though, I consider this experience to be a negative experience and would not consider doing business with LoD again. Nor would I recommend this shop to anyone considering parts for their rigs. I e-mailed him asked if returning the front bumper and skid for a full refund is in the cards and was told it's not possible.

Puncture through box on rear bumper:

Damage to one of the light tabs on the hoop:

sucks, i didnt have a problem with lod over a year ago. but i have read other feedback like when it comes to LoD

btw fixed it so it would be easier to read

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
•
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
•
•
•
• Your Jeep and Gaming Social Network
2012 Sponsors:
•
•
•
•
•

Magazine Feature:

post #3 of 23 Old 04-14-2010, 08:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Not to be a ass clown, but fuck me! How in the hell am I suppose to read that. Can someone give me the cliff notes. I'm handicapped with a weak pair of glasses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 04-14-2010, 08:18 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKDinker View Post
Not to be a ass clown, but fuck me! How in the hell am I suppose to read that. Can someone give me the cliff notes. I'm handicapped with a weak pair of glasses.
hopefully the time i took to clean it up will help. it is a huge amount of text. lol

obviously a copy and paste job from another site. thought jeepforum but not there, must be from jkf

•
•
•
•
2012 Sponsors:
•
•
•
•
•

Magazine Feature:

post #5 of 23 Old 04-14-2010, 08:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Holt Shit! You saved me! Thanks for the clean up!
post #6 of 23 Old 04-14-2010, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKDinker View Post
HEH, sucks getting old doesn't it.

Cliff Notes: I ordered shit. Shit got delivered when it shouldn't have. Some shit was damaged. Call Lod re: said shit, and in nice way I'm told to go pound sand. General feeling, I've got your money and kiss off.

Oh well, I've got another JK that will need need bumpers and slider and stuff eventually. LoD, someone else will be getting my money for that one.
post #7 of 23 Old 04-14-2010, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquor View Post
hopefully the time i took to clean it up will help. it is a huge amount of text. lol

obviously a copy and paste job from another site. thought jeepforum but not there, must be from jkf

The only other place I posted this was on the club forum.

I had contemplated posting in the matrix, however we know what would happen within 30seconds of that happening.

Side note, thanks for the clean up. I fixed the OP.
post #8 of 23 Old 04-14-2010, 08:44 PM
JKO Addict!

No worry's! I have LoD sliders and the powdercoat job is for shit. Already rusting. Rattle can fixed it......... I think its caused by big tires!
post #9 of 23 Old 04-14-2010, 08:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

My LoD bumper shipped great but I had to wait about a week to two more then they originally said and that was almost 2 years ago. Now recently I ordered a skid for my bumper on Jan 22 and I just got it April 12 they never gave me a lead time or anything and kept saying it was shipping now I think I am going to return to sender and get my money back as I am getting away from their product all together.

post #10 of 23 Old 04-14-2010, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Sorry to the OP for this experience (twice apparently).

I don't want to hijack this thread.....but one of the great things that I experienced with Shrockworks (despite their long wait time), was the time and attention taken in packaging/ shipping my hoop bumper and skid plate. The box could have been dropped from an airplane and I don't think there would have been any damage- lol. It actually took me a LONG time to get everything out of the box.

The powder-coating was also superb. Not a scratch on anything, and to date....no rust/ no chipping/ no flaking.

Sounds like you have every right to be upset about the product. I hope that you have a better experience next time.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #11 of 23 Old 04-14-2010, 09:05 PM
Rock God

Garage

LOD sucks the big donkey dick. They can die in a fire, and take the shitty piece of shit rear bumper with them.

Ok, I'm back, what did I miss?
post #12 of 23 Old 04-15-2010, 12:35 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

After a bit of a long phone call with LoD they in my eyes redemed theirselves by stepping up to the plate and giving me a big discount/ refund for all the trouble I experienced plus they said they were looking to become a sponser not only here but for Jeep Beach! If that is the case they may just become the vender we all want them to become.

post #13 of 23 Old 04-15-2010, 12:55 PM
Rock God

Garage

they still suck donkey dick.

glad they were able to satisfy you though.
post #14 of 23 Old 04-15-2010, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d'sjk View Post
After a bit of a long phone call with LoD they in my eyes redemed theirselves by stepping up to the plate and giving me a big discount/ refund for all the trouble I experienced plus they said they were looking to become a sponser not only here but for Jeep Beach! If that is the case they may just become the vender we all want them to become.
I just got a call from Chris not to long ago as well I, perhaps spurred by this post, but that's inconsequential. In any case he wanted to reiterate that he was and is willing to do what he can to rectify the situation. The impasse is in what he's told me he can do and I'd like him to do. I appreciate that he's doing what he can to try and right the situation even if it's not 100% to my liking.

On a separate note I do have to give him prop's on doing some warranty work on my sliders I got from him last year. That improves my opinion of how he handles things a little bit.

As for ordering anything more from him... Well he doesn't anything more that I can bolt on my rig. My wifes JK on the other hand, he'll have to sway her opinion to win her money.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.

Last edited by kkuntz01; 04-15-2010 at 02:07 PM.
post #15 of 23 Old 04-15-2010, 02:04 PM
Rock God

Garage

LoD isnt a sponser for wayofgay anymore??

my stubby rear tire carrier and rock sliders are holding up fine. i didnt get the powder coat, that always flakes off. paint is still good on both. thouigh i never got the bumper brackets for the tail gate. the bumper has "sagged" but loosen the bolts and get it back into postion isnt bad. though shouldnt be required. also i never got the hi-lift bracket that was originally ordered, anyways i installed the hi-lift on the frame behind the tire. if someone wants it they have to remove the tire. if i need it, i will most likely need the spare anyways.

•
•
•
•
2012 Sponsors:
•
•
•
•
•

Magazine Feature:

post #16 of 23 Old 04-15-2010, 02:08 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquor View Post
also i never got the hi-lift bracket that was originally ordered, anyways i installed the hi-lift on the frame behind the tire. if someone wants it they have to remove the tire. if i need it, i will most likely need the spare anyways.
I used a piece of steel bar to extend the mounting holes for the hi lift. I don't need to remove the tire to get to the jack. If you want, let me know and I will send you pics of what I did.
post #17 of 23 Old 04-15-2010, 03:28 PM
Rock God

Drive down there, since you were already going to pick them up.
Give them directly to him and say "Fix it right".
If that goes nowhere, file a claim with you credit card since you did not authorize the extra charges and tell them you are no longer in possession of the products.
Chalk up to time and gas as a lesson.

'09 4dr Rubi Detonator Yellow
35x12.5x17 BFG KM2s they SUCK!
Rugged Ridge XHD bumper Warn 9.5ti
3.5 Mid arm Rock Krawler
Finally 5.13s
post #18 of 23 Old 04-15-2010, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Sorry to the OP for this experience (twice apparently).

I don't want to hijack this thread.....but one of the great things that I experienced with Shrockworks (despite their long wait time), was the time and attention taken in packaging/ shipping my hoop bumper and skid plate. The box could have been dropped from an airplane and I don't think there would have been any damage- lol. It actually took me a LONG time to get everything out of the box.

The powder-coating was also superb. Not a scratch on anything, and to date....no rust/ no chipping/ no flaking.

Sounds like you have every right to be upset about the product. I hope that you have a better experience next time.

This was true of Red Rock Fab as well.. to date, I have never received anything that has been packed as superbly as my Red Rock Fab bumpers and i have received ALOT of packages. To bad they are no more.

You can tell many things about a company in the way they pack and ship their products.. Though in this case it appears that the LoD product was packed well but experienced serious trauma somewhere in transit.

I hope it works out in the end for you... at least they are communicating.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #19 of 23 Old 04-15-2010, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
You can tell many things about a company in the way they pack and ship their products.. Though in this case it appears that the LoD product was packed well but experienced serious trauma somewhere in transit.
I have to say Chris and his crew do pretty good job of packing things up. The only way to improve upon it really would be to use plywood to wall off the crate frame. Pic below show how he packs the his bumpers. I put the blame on FedEx freight. Thankfully I haven't had similar issues in with the million or so in computer equipment I've shipped to Canada and Europe or heads would be fawking rolling. BTW... FedEx

Quote:
Originally Posted by owtdorz View Post
Drive down there, since you were already going to pick them up.
Give them directly to him and say "Fix it right".
If that goes nowhere, file a claim with you credit card since you did not authorize the extra charges and tell them you are no longer in possession of the products.
Chalk up to time and gas as a lesson.
FedEx was by today and picked up the front bumper bring back to him to take care of. He is taking care of things, I never said he wasn't. It is just that somethings were not being taken of in the manner I would have liked is all.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
post #20 of 23 Old 04-15-2010, 07:13 PM
Rock God

Garage

Chris has been good to me.. called him up about 2 months ago.. ordered my rear shorty and i told him i would need it asap.. he said 3 weeks.. well 2 1/2 weeks later.. shows up at my door.. i was happy.. i've noticed some improvments to this bumper compared to my older LoD.. and the powder coat job seems to be alot better.. but all in all.. i think its a good product. and holds up well.. sorry you had a fucked up time with them.. maybe u got bad luck.. lol

oo and also have to add... a deer has not match for a LoD bumper.. well a rear one.. cause my old rear bumper cut a deer wide open.. lol

07 2dr Rubicon - Teraflex 6" LA - 37 KM2's - LoD rear bumper - Rockhard front stubby - Poison Spyder Flares - etc.

upcoming: Front D60, 40's, beadlocks.

Last edited by BiGEN; 04-15-2010 at 07:17 PM.
post #21 of 23 Old 04-15-2010, 08:43 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGEN View Post
Chris has been good to me.. called him up about 2 months ago.. ordered my rear shorty and i told him i would need it asap.. he said 3 weeks.. well 2 1/2 weeks later.. shows up at my door.. i was happy.. i've noticed some improvments to this bumper compared to my older LoD.. and the powder coat job seems to be alot better.. but all in all.. i think its a good product. and holds up well.. sorry you had a fucked up time with them.. maybe u got bad luck.. lol

oo and also have to add... a deer has not match for a LoD bumper.. well a rear one.. cause my old rear bumper cut a deer wide open.. lol
Funny that same bumper cut open a fender on a toyata yaris at the mall the other day, as she was backing out of her space, and swiped the fwd corner of the bumper. Tore about 7" of the fender clean off. Touch up with duplicolor truck bed coating and its good as new!

Proud to be One of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children 2001-2010.

Semper Fi
post #22 of 23 Old 04-15-2010, 09:20 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
This was true of Red Rock Fab as well.. to date, I have never received anything that has been packed as superbly as my Red Rock Fab bumpers and i have received ALOT of packages. To bad they are no more.

I hope it works out in the end for you... at least they are communicating.
X2 on the Red Rock fab stuff!!!!!

BTW, Kelly is trying to continue Red Rock Fab on his own and has a small website up-- redrockfab.com

08 JKUR 6.5" lift, 40" MTR's ...
post #23 of 23 Old 04-21-2010, 12:43 PM
JKO Addict!

In the not-too-distant past, I was looking at bumpers for my JK and took a real liking to the LoD stuff. Called them up - a couple times - and when I finally managed to get through the dude was short with me, had an attitude that he didn't want to talk to me (or take my money), and was completely unhelpful. Way to run a business! So up theirs, someone else got their bread buttered with my order.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode