Thief! Not *IF* but *WHEN* - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 Old 07-09-2008, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Send a message via AIM to jocrazy0
Angry Thief! Not *IF* but *WHEN*

Well, it finally happened to me and it could have been worse. At least the [email protected]%#^&* S.O.B. only UNZIPPED the side window for access instead of slashing it but still.....

So the story is: Someone broke into my jeep in a downtown Houston parking garage yesterday. They rifled the glove comapartment and moved some blankets I have stuffed on the side of my TUFFY trunk but the only thing I can find missing are my Wal-Mart sunglasses (I had the expensive, funky, Foster Grant Classic ones - $14. Heh.) In their haste they totally missed my maglight and handheld scanner stuffed under my drivers seat and the display for the backup camera. They left my XM (it was disconnected), and knocked off the CB microphone from the holder). I think they opened a door and set off the alarm (score one for the stock jeep alarm - now enhanced with a Wolo BadBoy air horn).

So my TUFFY console, TUFFY overhead (containing my CB), and TUFFY trunk (all locked) were untouched.

I moved the remaining items into the trunk. I almost wish they'd slashed the window, at least I could have claimed the top was damaged and had it replaced to cure that freaking leak! Better luck next time......

(I also hate to sound like an advertisement for TUFFY but the locked compartments did their job! The key for the wheel locks, GPS, TOOLS an assorted other electronics were untouched.)

2007 Rubicon, Graystone, Auto, Dual, Power, Tow,GENTEX autodim mirror,COOL TECH antenna mount&exhaust,CIBIE,HELLA TPMS,AEM CAI, Fuel Door, Grab Handles,Tuffy,Thule,Olympic,HESCO Supercharger, HID, RR XHD FB w/stinger,DRAKE hoodlatch with locks
1972 C104 Commando - Bone stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 07-09-2008, 07:59 AM
Rock God

Congrats on not losing the important stuff, I hate thieves.

Ron

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world.
But the Marines don't have that problem." ..... Ronald Reagan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 41 Old 07-09-2008, 08:04 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Glad it worked out for you this time. Sounds like it was a crack head looking for cash or guns. I had a truck broke into one time in downtown Atlanta. There wasn't anything missing but my crap was scattered everywhere. They used a screw driver in the door key hole and tore a big hole in the door. It worked though.

I hate thieves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 Old 07-09-2008, 10:27 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

Sorry to hear that!
Even if they didn't get anything too valuable, you still get that ugly 'violated' feeling.
Knock on wood, I haven't had a problem with the JK yet.
My YJ got hit twice - both times for stereo gear
an aftermarket alarm with a radar sensor was the next mod
the radar was great because it still gave some protection even with the top down - just took a lot of tweaking to get the range set to where you actually had to reach into the jeep.
I hate thieves.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #5 of 41 Old 07-09-2008, 10:34 AM
Rock God

glad they didn’t take anything big. I know the feeling. I remember walking out of my house to go to school a few years ago and my driver side glass was on the street, dashboard ripped up, wires cut for the radio and speakers gone from the trunk... sick feeling when you cant do crap about it... lets hope karma takes a full swing.

2006 LJ - current
2007 4dr Rubicon - sold Project- JK
2007 2dr X - sold JK-forum
post #6 of 41 Old 07-09-2008, 10:48 AM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to Big A

Yep... A trunk and center box is in my near future also.

Is TUFFY the metal ones? Thats what i want.

Phase 1 Complete. Sold JK
Phase 2 Complete. Bought a Tow Rig
Phase 3 on-hold. Buying a trail rig. Thinking a TJ or XJ
post #7 of 41 Old 07-09-2008, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Friend of mine owns a car alarm/ stereo business...Told me the majority of his (alarm syst installs) come to him immed after their car was broken into. In galveston (south of Houston), I had 2 TJs and a Toyota Taco violated by stereo theives. What they broke, stained, and ripped in the process was worth more than the stereo they got...Shouldve left the doors UNLOCKED. "Violated" was also MY reoccuring feeling, however...better to be an honest/ helpful guy that sometimes gets screwed...than to be a worthless theif (and probably drug addict)...no soul. Please wash/ clean your jeep..inside/ out...and even that will make you feel better...for real!

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #8 of 41 Old 07-10-2008, 07:28 AM
Wheeler

B-stards thieves have no respect.

I fell victim about 2 months ago. Parked my JK in a well lit lot during rugby practice and when I came back noticed my hood latches were undone. For some ungodly reason they stole my oil dipstick. I've only seen one other JK in my 6 months in Spain so why they decided to take that I dunno. Lucky nothing else was taken.

I hate thieves.
post #9 of 41 Old 07-10-2008, 04:51 PM
Granite Guru

Nice that they took so little. I'm sure they will get their's when those cheap sunglasses of yours break and a piece of the plastic gets in their eyes blinding them for life. Sucks for them.
post #10 of 41 Old 07-10-2008, 06:15 PM
Rock God

Quote:
I almost wish they'd slashed the window, at least I could have claimed the top was damaged and had it replaced to cure that freaking leak! Better luck next time......

Don't you own a box cutter. You should have cut it yourself. Only you would have known.
post #11 of 41 Old 07-10-2008, 08:28 PM
Granite Guru

Glad they didn't take anything else. That's why I built me a trunk kit.

I use my Jeep for hunting and I was very worried about leaving my guns and ammo in the trunk with the plastic zip-me-up-windows. Not worried anymore. I call it "Bash's Trunk Kit".

Lifted and Fitted w/ 33's

post #12 of 41 Old 08-01-2008, 03:59 PM
Rock God

Tuffy stuff really does rock. I live about an hour away from their shop and what a great group of folks! Anyhow, I have their drawer, console insert and glove box. They're soon coming out with a center console tray/locking radio cover (I just got a sneak peak at it yesterday) that I'll buy when they go into production. I have no qualms about leaving my top down and windows open these days.

BEER Helping me do stupid things to my JK since 2007!
post #13 of 41 Old 08-02-2008, 06:03 PM
Rock God

Hate to hear this. They'll get theirs eventually

My Cherokee was broken into a while back, they broke the little window out of the back driver side door, busted the dash to hell, tore out the wiring for a crappy 100.00 radio.

I've got a Tuffy console insert in the JK, well worth the cash. I don't worry as much now, and I leave the glove box unlocked.

I hate theives.

/jl

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
post #14 of 41 Old 09-28-2008, 10:57 PM

I am i deputy and recently had the priviledge to actually catch a car burglar trying to break into my JK, while i was working. The only thing about it was once we caught him(he tried running) he gave up without a fight or struggle. so no street justice. no damage to my ride but witnessed him trying to get in my JK and friends truck. broke somebody else's window and broke the radio antenna. Radio antenna???? WTF.
post #15 of 41 Old 09-28-2008, 11:40 PM
Granite Guru

That is why I do not lock the Jeep when the soft top is on, and I leave nothing of value in it.

Shaffers OffRoad Rocks!

Other Companies that have treated me right!
Poly Performance
Rubicon Express
Trailready
Novak Adapters
Mastercraft
Centerforce
Dynatrac
and KC Hilites
post #16 of 41 Old 09-30-2008, 08:17 AM
Granite Guru

Hate to hear stuff like this. My little brother has a stereo/alarm place. He told me about an alarm that uses a very loud high pitch alarm to actually cause pain. I believe it is called a “pain generator” (strange name huh?) It is my next Mod. Hope to get it in before the lowlifes show up.
post #17 of 41 Old 09-30-2008, 08:33 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
That is why I do not lock the Jeep when the soft top is on, and I leave nothing of value in it.
the only problem with that is the fact that thieves usually aren't too bright. i've known two guys that had their jeeps broken into. they both had their doors unlocked, but the thieves cut the windows anyway to get in (instead of just unzipping them).

it might work some of the time, but in my experience, thieves aren't smart enough to just try the door handle.....that would be too easy.
post #18 of 41 Old 09-30-2008, 04:25 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnaught6 View Post
the only problem with that is the fact that thieves usually aren't too bright. i've known two guys that had their jeeps broken into. they both had their doors unlocked, but the thieves cut the windows anyway to get in (instead of just unzipping them).

it might work some of the time, but in my experience, thieves aren't smart enough to just try the door handle.....that would be too easy.
I wouldn't say they weren't too bright....some alarms are wired into the dome light hot wire. Open the door, alarm goes off. Cutting a window decreases the chance of getting caught. Now the cutting vs. unzipping, yeah, that's just plain mean. They probably either don't know it unzips, or just don't care.
Either way they should be shot.

/jl

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
post #19 of 41 Old 11-04-2008, 06:58 AM

Get a viper or python alarm system with proximity sensor. I have one - first stage is a warn away, second stage it screams bloody murder. I can't imagine someone hanging around when that goes off. Cheap protection.
post #20 of 41 Old 12-15-2008, 10:16 AM
Rock God

A thief at my work parking garage broke out the drivers side window and took my GPS along with with 5 other cars, and this happened in a secure building in Falls Church, VA....I hate theives......car was not the same after that and I got rid of it.
post #21 of 41 Old 02-24-2009, 05:31 PM
Rock God

Has anyone tried setting their alarm, unziping the soft top side or rear window, and crawling in? I would try it if my soft top was on. I wonder if the alarm even goes off?
post #22 of 41 Old 02-24-2009, 06:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I am sorry to hear some scumbag messed with your rig. He will get his eventually. I am getting the proximity alarm installed Mon. It will page me up to a mile away and I can set it to silent mode if I want.... Kinda like fishing I guess.

Anyone use the autopage sys?
post #23 of 41 Old 03-04-2009, 02:57 PM

F***ing Theives

Broke into my 07 JK and stole my GPS.
They knew enough about Jeeps to know that you don't need to be in the cab to open the hood.
They opened the hood, disconected the battery, then smashed the window knowing there would be no alarm.
$300 deductable
$100 for a new GPS
If they had knocked on my door and offered to NOT break in for a hundred bucks I would have taken the deal.
F***ing theives.
David
post #24 of 41 Old 03-04-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkincaid View Post
Broke into my 07 JK and stole my GPS.
They knew enough about Jeeps to know that you don't need to be in the cab to open the hood.
They opened the hood, disconected the battery, then smashed the window knowing there would be no alarm.
$300 deductable
$100 for a new GPS
If they had knocked on my door and offered to NOT break in for a hundred bucks I would have taken the deal.
F***ing theives.
David
$300 deductible
$100 GPS
$500 S&W .45
Terminating the lives of thieves, crackheads, burglars, etc.......
....Priceless!
post #25 of 41 Old 03-19-2009, 02:14 PM
Rock God

I got hit on Dec 19th. I was one of "those guys" and had a sub box custom built to fit in the back of the jeep. (I swear it was for Metal Double Bass and not rap!) They did a really good job (the box makers, not the theives). It was contoured pefectly to the back seat's angle and even the lump in the tailgate by the hinge side.

I felt like it was my fault because I left the tailgate unlocked, took my GF home and her dog rides back there and forgot to lock it up after we took him out. Afterwards I wondered if I just saved myself a window. Will never know.

Well they took the box, missed the amp under the passenger seat, and had pried up the top dash cover over the radio and tried to steal my eclipse touch screen navi unit but failed and only shattered the touch screen. The dome light was dislodged ever-so-not-gently and so every day I get to see the screwdriver scars on my sound bar.

Called the police and they said to go to their web site to file a report. I told them the value of the damage and they said," Oh that makes it grand larcony" (Not burglery because I left the rear gate unlocked.) and they sent someone out to dust for prints.

Now I was under the assumption that since my jeep was covered in mud that the prints would be easier to get, wrong. The mud + the fact that it was done around 2 or 3 am and the jeep was wet with dew, effectively smeared and ruined all prints on the outside. On to the inside.

The lady they sent out to do the prints messed up and smeared about half of the prints she took. She did get some off the dome light. I never touch it so hopefully it was theirs. Some turn off by touching them so maybe thats what they thought b4 ripping it out with a screwdriver. Anyway she took her print cards, took my prints to compare, and said I may hear from them in 3 to 4 months if they find anything and if the theif has prints on record. Today is 3 months to the day and Im still hoping to get a call.

I searched cragslist and the denios auction out here daily for at least a month hoping to find my box being sold as it was one of a kind but with no luck. SO now Im back to the factory system and will stay that way. the 7 speaker infinity actually doesnt sound bad at all even at max volume. Picked up a little portable Nuvi since my eclipse got shattered (physical damage is not covered under warranty) and since my jeep is paid off all I have is liabillity insurance (has bitten me twice now not having full coverage).

Lesson learned. And the 1st thing I did after the lady took the prints was thuroughly (sp) wash the Jeep, but the scratches on the dash and sound bar aree a daily reminder that some tweaker/crackhead crawledd all through my Jeep and it makes me sick. Cant wait to move.

nah nah nah nah nah nah, I made you eat your parents - E.Cartman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode