POWER. Where did it go? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 03-07-2010, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

POWER. Where did it go?

About 3 years ago i worked at the local Jeep dealership here in town. There I was able to drive plenty of new and old wranglers. By selling the new Jeeps I "learned" that the new jeep engine had more power than the flat6.

If i remember correctly, the V6 has about 10-15HP more than the flat6. I want to know where this power is. From driving the pre-'06 jeeps to my 2008, I have to say, I have less power than the old jeeps did. Maybe its the extreme gear diffrence where Chrysler wanted to make the wrangler into a socker mom car (ie: 2wheel drive wranglers, "I just got my hair done and want to drive my jeep" comercials). Or is it the heavier weight diffrence?

I dunno but I have added a K&N airfilter and knowing that wont make much diffrence at all I was still hoping lol. Where is my power at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-07-2010, 01:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

No power.
Makes power in higher rpm range.
Depending on gearing you will really feel underpowered.
Big tires never help.
Auto is worse than manual.
Rubi transfer case makes it feel better with the 4-1.
K-N makes noise but not power.

Want power get a Camaro. Just pullin your chain.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-07-2010, 02:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Its the size of the JK. Almost everything is bigger on the JK compared to previous wranglers including drivetrain components. The JK drivetrain sucks up about 50% of what the minivan motor as everyone likes to call it is pumping out.

You want power, there are options but bone stock enjoy the scenary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 03-07-2010, 03:28 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

The main difference is the 3.8 has high end torque about 3k rpm where the I-6 had 80% at idle up to 2800rpm.

3.8 Specs

202HP

237 Ft Tq

4.0 Specs

190 HP

235 Ft Tq

Yes the JK is heavy!

2dr

Stock TJ:3300lbs

Stock Jk:3800lbs

Unlimited

Stock TJ/LJ:3600lbs

Stock JK 4dr:4200lbs

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #5 of 11 Old 03-10-2010, 03:04 AM
Rock God

Mine has lots of power. I wouldnt be suprised if it would take my wifes challenger off the line. I love the v6. I must be getting about 30 mpg outta mine too. Yep I have wheelie poppin, tire spining power with great fuel milage to boot.

I have a jeep and it goes over shit.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-10-2010, 04:13 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by levellinebrad View Post
Mine has lots of power. I wouldnt be suprised if it would take my wifes challenger off the line. I love the v6. I must be getting about 30 mpg outta mine too. Yep I have wheelie poppin, tire spining power with great fuel milage to boot.
Yea right.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-10-2010, 05:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:

I'm betting he also is a Real Estate agent who specializes in ocean front property in Kansas.

for the sarcasm...

/

post #8 of 11 Old 03-14-2010, 02:04 PM
Rock God

Quote:
I thought I was the only one.

Colorado Mountains = Land of Mountain Trails

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13

'08 JK Sahara, Jeep Green, BFG MT's, Pro Comp 4" Lift, Smittybuilt XRC8 Winch, Olympic BOA front & Olympic Defender rear bumpers, Olympic A/T Slider Rails, Spidertrax Spacers, SeatGlover Seat Covers, Bestop TrekTop, Husky Mats, Midland 75-822 CB, Magellan Maestro 3250.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-14-2010, 02:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Unlimited with auto trans is a dog and lots of people bitch about it.

My 6 spd 2 door hauls ass. Hell, if I hit it just right, I can catch 2nd gear on a dry road with 3.21's and 285/75R16's

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.

Last edited by scottrock; 03-14-2010 at 02:39 PM. Reason: 285 not 295. duh
post #10 of 11 Old 03-18-2010, 09:25 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

My 6sp Unlimited is quicker than my '99 K1500 with the 4.8, and that is quicker than my previous trucks! Granted, my wife's Acura RL kicks my JK's butt off the line and top end - had it over 130!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUPIDFACE View Post
I have 2 legs, but 3 knees....right knee.....left knee.....wee knee....
Jack of all Trades, Master of Some
post #11 of 11 Old 03-18-2010, 09:41 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

It's not power that you miss it's the low end torque. You have to learn the difference and you'll figure out where the torque band is.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode