Banks reneging on lifetime warranties - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 01-02-2015, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Banks reneging on lifetime warranties

FYI to anybody with a Banks header or exhaust that came with a lifetime warranty... their new warranty says 5 years max with a cute little comment "THE PRECEDING LIMITED WARRANTIES ARE THE EXCLUSIVE WARRANTIES GIVEN BY BANKS FOR THE PRODUCT AND SUPERSEDE ANY PRIOR, CONTRARY OR ADDITIONAL REPRESENTATIONS, WHETHER WRITTEN OR ORAL." (underline mine) http://www.bankspower.com/support/warranty

That's a ripoff, and I'm pretty sure illegal. I'm trying to get a second replacement header for my 2001 XJ... I bought the original in 2007 and replaced it in 2010. That one cracked in 2013 but just finally getting around to it. I found a copy of the original warranty terms and printed it out. I bought their header specifically because it had a lifetime warranty, and they want to screw all of their customers now. I'll do my best to never buy from them again.

I'm not sure when this started, but I found a facebook post from 2013 that linked here: http://www.nwjeepn.com/Banksheader.html Maybe this is old news for many of you, sorry if I'm posting something everybody else already knows...

2012 Silver Rubi. AEV 2.5" lift, JCR Dagger front bumper, Superwinch EPI 9, JCR engine skid, ACE side steps, RR 7" HID lights, Wired HDH switch panel
formerly- 2001 Yellow XJ, 7" longarm, lockers, bumper, winch, armor, lights, etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-03-2015, 08:57 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

That is fucking shitty. "Hey buy our stuff, it has a lifetime warranty". Years later, "Umm yeah we changed that without telling anyone, so go piss up a rope now". Guess they have had too many warranty issues and want to change it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-03-2015, 09:25 AM
Granite Guru

I'm not an expert on this but I will share what I've been told. I know some people who work at Chrysler and when they changed the way you could change the tune in there vehicles a couple years ago and now they can track it wirelessly it save them millions in warranty claims ( mostly diesels) but they figured cost aftermarket companies like Banks huge. Think about it you payed them $5-600 for a tune that cost them less than $10.00. They had to regroup and I'm sure this is part of that. I agree it's wrong and seems like a fast one was pulled but as a consumer just spend your money elsewhere. They should for sure honor all old warranties though to save there reputation though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-03-2015, 09:42 AM
Rock God

Garage

I'm going to cry BS on Chrysler knowing by some magical wireless process if someone "tuned" their vehicle.

Wirelessly gathering date for millions of vehicles each day/week/month/year/whatever would run into the millions of dollars each time you wanted to update the database. Not to mention working the tech into each vehicle would cost something.

All of that to catch the 2% of folks who might "tune". No way.

A quick Google turned up nothing.....

It's much more likely that they encrypted the ECU (like in the Pentastar Jeeps) to make it harder. It's also likely that there is a flag bit set that triggers the dealer that something has been changed when they plug into it.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
post #5 of 12 Old 01-03-2015, 11:01 AM
Granite Guru

I'm not gonna hijack this guys thread because I understand what he is pissed off about. Your welcome to call BS because I'm not gonna spew enough to cost friends and fellow jeepers jobs but it's not George Jetson stuff or conspiracy theory stuff it's very real and just keep an eye open for what they unveil very soon. I've ridden in the corporate cars and seen it myself. Very soon they will contact you to take your vehicle to the dealer for repair because it is reporting to them what is wrong with it. Wireless monitoring and diagnosis and data collection. It's all about cutting down warranty costs and less people equals cost reduction.its way cheaper to collect and store data than pay millions or billions in repairs that could be denied over the life of the vehicles warranty. The part that affected Banks and other companies was the first phase of what's to come like it or not. I'm sure GM and Ford have there own versions as well.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-03-2015, 11:19 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illtrythat View Post
I'm not gonna hijack this guys thread because I understand what he is pissed off about. Your welcome to call BS because I'm not gonna spew enough to cost friends and fellow jeepers jobs but it's not George Jetson stuff or conspiracy theory stuff it's very real and just keep an eye open for what they unveil very soon. I've ridden in the corporate cars and seen it myself. Very soon they will contact you to take your vehicle to the dealer for repair because it is reporting to them what is wrong with it. Wireless monitoring and diagnosis and data collection. It's all about cutting down warranty costs and less people equals cost reduction.its way cheaper to collect and store data than pay millions or billions in repairs that could be denied over the life of the vehicles warranty. The part that affected Banks and other companies was the first phase of what's to come like it or not. I'm sure GM and Ford have there own versions as well.
I don't doubt any of this being possible or in the near future; my dad's Malibu had monthly emails sent to him about oil life and overall vehicle maintenance and condition. I do doubt that this would be rolled out because dealers make their money on service. If people aren't bringing their cars in to dealerships as much, for any reason, it cuts into a dealer's revenue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-03-2015, 11:45 AM
Rock God

The way this reads to me is that any new products are no longer covered by the previous lifetime warranty. What's the big whoop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator2 View Post
I have belonged to a lot of forums but I have never seen this level of perversion from a bunch of grown men.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-03-2015, 02:40 PM
Granite Guru

it sounds like any parts that were originally subject to a lifetime warranty will continue to be warranted for life. i don't think they can legally shorten a warranty on a product that was already sold with a longer warranty and was not subject to abuse, etc...

the concern i have is what will happen when a lifetime warranted product is returned for warranty work? if they replace it with a new product, will that only have a 5 year warranty? can they legally do that?
post #9 of 12 Old 01-03-2015, 06:14 PM
Rock God

Garage

The technology certainly exists. However, it's the value that does not. Sure some people get service reminders from "their car" (which is more often than not a simple notification based on the date and/or the estimated number of miles driven) Some cars you can even start or check the fuel remotely. The catch is that the car's owner is paying to connect the car to his wi-fi, cellular, or even On-Star to get the data out.

Chrysler cannot afford to pay for every car to connect to the internet to phone home, just to catch the .00001% of people who might try to get away with an unwarranted warranty repair. It's much easier and cheaper to just do what they have been doing and deny as many warranty claims as they can.

As a technology architect, I can also tell you that if I can edit the computer to "tune" the engine, I can dang sure keep it from "phoning home".

Everything about this stinks like a stupid urban legend started by a bunch of no-nothing 19 year old diesel tuners with the injector pumps turned up so far their dumping raw fuel out the tailpipe, thinking they are making 1000 HP.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
post #10 of 12 Old 01-03-2015, 07:12 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Being able to transpond DTC's to a manufacturer is not currently supported by any OBDII ECM directly. Manufacturers like GM can send information using the OnStar via communication between modules.

OBDIII will have that capability, but it hasn't been introduced or installed in any vehicle at this point.

Here is an article outlining it. (Albeit, a bit dramatic.)

http://www.lewrockwell.com/2012/02/e...o-big-brother/

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #11 of 12 Old 02-03-2015, 01:18 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to Squirrel Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
Being able to transpond DTC's to a manufacturer is not currently supported by any OBDII ECM directly. Manufacturers like GM can send information using the OnStar via communication between modules.

OBDIII will have that capability, but it hasn't been introduced or installed in any vehicle at this point.

Here is an article outlining it. (Albeit, a bit dramatic.)

http://www.lewrockwell.com/2012/02/e...o-big-brother/
Ill just put the little foil hat on any OBDIII just like on my OBDII. They will never catch me.

2013 Commando Green Sport S
TF 2.5", RK Control Arms, Gobi Stealth Rack, Level 8 Tracker Pro on 35's, TruckLite LEDs, TrailDash
-Sean
post #12 of 12 Old 02-22-2015, 06:09 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guruman View Post

Everything about this stinks like a stupid urban legend started by a bunch of no-nothing 19 year old diesel tuners with the injector pumps turned up so far their dumping raw fuel out the tailpipe, thinking they are making 1000 HP.

Fantastic analogy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Eat Liquid Gold"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode