EVO.... WTH? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ranch Hand

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 12-20-2014, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
EVO.... WTH?

Just bought the Evo rear fascia/cover and d-ring mounts. The instructions are separate and pretty terrible, but it looks simple, right? Installing the d-ring mounts.... simple. Installing the fascia... simple.

But...

To mount the d-ring part, you have to run a bolt through the framerail such that comes out inside the rear cross member. Evo conveniently provided a flag nut for this. The instructions said to cut or grind to expand a hole in the cross member to hold the "flag" and facilitate installing the bolt.... I used a saws-all to open the conveniently located gap where the crossmember meets the framerail on each side.

OK great.

But if you are installing the fascia, the same bolt MUST go through it as well, meaning that the fascia must be in place. IT COVERS THE CROSSMEMBER!

Aside from drilling a huge hole in the bottom of the already too-weak cross-member there is no access.

What kind of cursed voodoo-fairy dust do they thing I have to hold that nut inside the cross member while I install the fascia, d-ring mount and then thread a bolt into it???

After working at it WAYYYY too long. I came up with a solution. I sacrificed a few small magnets to hold the flag nut in place long enough to get the bolt through. The nut shifted a bit and had to be fiddled with using some small picks and probes through the available opening, but after an hour or so I had both of those bolts in. Fun.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-20-2014, 11:17 AM
Rock God

thats a pretty good solution you came up with.. some of their products require you to get creative to make work.. ive installed the d rings before.. i was wondering about the fascia
post #3 of 14 Old 12-20-2014, 12:54 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Pictures of said fiasceaux?

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved 2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 12-20-2014, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....

post #5 of 14 Old 12-20-2014, 05:16 PM
Rock God

evos products are really not meant for the general public. any look at their instructions tells you that. its like, yeah you can get it to work, but have fun! they make products for the shop to install, and then sell them to the public later
post #6 of 14 Old 12-21-2014, 01:55 AM
Rock God

Magnets -- pretty clever. I've used adhesives in similar situations.

Banshee likes this.
post #7 of 14 Old 12-21-2014, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

I tried some mounting tape first, but those flag nuts were also locking. So, when you backed the bolt out it just broke the adhesive bond.

_

post #8 of 14 Old 12-22-2014, 09:56 PM
Wheeler

Well crap... I have the rings in already and definitely hated the flag nut portion of the install. I have the rear facia sitting the the garage (didn't even come with hardware or instructions. I guess they assumed I already had the rings and didn't need the nuts and bolts) and I was wondering how I was going to get it all installed correctly without the ugly flags showing. It is probably too late to send the cover back at this point. I was thinking of maybe just cutting large chunks out of the back side of the crossmember to have the flags not show but I am not sure that any of that could be done correctly anyway. Looks like I will just sit on it until I finally dedicate a day to allowing myself to be pissed off at the purchase I made.

Thanks for the heads up though. At least I can prepare myself for the disappointment ahead of time.
post #9 of 14 Old 12-23-2014, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

The magnet trick was a little finicky for me, mainly because of the small size and shape of the magnets I had available, but I got it done.

Good luck.

_

post #10 of 14 Old 12-23-2014, 07:16 AM
Rock God

Had a similar problem with my brother's Super Duty and SuperLifts frame side trac bar bracket; it has you run a bolt through to a flag-nut on the inside of the frame. What we did was use some fishing line and a piece cut from a wire coat hanger (or any maleable metal will work) and tied it to the end of the fishing line. Then fished it through the frame, through the nut (the metal acts as an anchor against the nut), and through the hole that the bolt need to go.

While pulling on the string it pulled the blind nut to the hole and kept it square as the bolt started. Once a few threads were engaged the line chewed itself apart, and everything bolted together stupid easy. A plus is the fishing line acts as a nylock nut now.

We fought the bolt initially for about 30 minutes. No amount of picks or gentle wiggling would get the canted nut (because of the weight of the flag) and bolt to line up to engage the threads. Short of pulling the bumper to access the front of the frame there is no way to get that flag nut. It took 5 minutes to fashion the fishing line and metal piece, fish it through the frame, and then pull it tight and install the bolt.
post #11 of 14 Old 12-23-2014, 07:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Weld a coat hanger to nut in whatever length you need

08 2 door (yes they made them) 3.5 RK lift, 35s lunchbox locked 30 front 44 LSD rear

Ocala Jeep Club CERT member. Nation's 1st jeep CERT team

Proud to be deplorable

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 14 Old 04-19-2015, 11:16 AM
Wheeler

I know this is an old thread but I forgot to update when I got the install done...

First, it's still a pain in the ass but I had a buddy who is more savvy than me do the install while I watched and provided words of encouragement. First, it seemed much easier to get the stupid flag/tab nuts lined up through the back side. Second, the "flags/tabs" need to be about a half inch longer to make the job 100% easier so the suggestion to weld a coat hanger to them is spot on. Third, bend the tab away from the frame rail slightly so you can use small vice grips or pliers to hold onto the nut yet allow it to sit flush with the frame rail in prep. for the bolt to thread.

And finally... Once you start tightening it all together, be prepared to go all in and be done with it. To get everything tight enough to not rattle around you will most likely snap the tabs off the nuts and from there out, you are stuck with what you have done unless you are ready to cut into the back side or bottom side of the cross member. I got lucky that my buddy had the brains to get it all right the first time otherwise I'd have just got pissed and cut it all out.

Also, to those that got instructions with your facia, at least you got those! Not like they are needed really but it would have been nice to see some pictures or suggestions for ease of installation.

In the end, I am happy with the way it turned out and it looks purdy. I have not cut the frame rails back even with the ring mounts yet but I will get to it and then it will be all super purdy.
post #13 of 14 Old 07-22-2017, 10:23 PM
Foo

Fishing line really helped! Thanks!
post #14 of 14 Old 08-06-2017, 05:04 PM

Fishig ine & magnets were great ideas, thanks for sharing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode