16" wheels and the tires that hate them - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 02-17-2010, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Ipe
Rock God

16" wheels and the tires that hate them

[RANT]

I've got to vent.

When I built up the Jeep circumstance dictated that I get 16" wheels. After all, I already had practically new tires in 16" and a set of Staun interal beadlocks to go in 'em.

Fast forward two years. Its time to get new tires. I want to reuse the substantial investment that is my wheels and Stauns. I want a set of 37" tires. 35's are too small, and 38.5's are just too big (or so it seems at this moment...). So what tires are out there in a 16" wheel and 37" diameter?

Well theres.... and theres... and wait, theres the awesome.....

Yeah... there aren't any!

There is one tire company that was sooooo close to putting out a 37" tire for a 16" wheel that would be perfect.... Yeah, not enough demand, they're not going to make it, at least right now.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......

[/RANT]

Okay, rant over. Please go about your regularly scheduled web surfing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-17-2010, 05:38 PM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to Big A

Super Swamper 36x 13.5x16. They are a TRUE 36" which is a little bigger than most 37's
post #3 of 10 Old 02-17-2010, 05:44 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

Yeah... what he said.

I wish Interco would put out more tires in 17. Interco makes *great* rubber.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-17-2010, 05:54 PM
Wheeler

There's definitely a limited selection, but there are some available. I'm running Super Swampers SSR 37x12.5 on 16" bead locks. Its a fairly decent on/offroad tire. Not bad on the highway either.

YOu might consider the Super Swamper IROKs as well, but they suck on road

What type of tire are you looking for? a MT? AT?

2008 Rubicon 2 door 6.5" lift, 37" Swampers, RR narrow tube fenders, reinforced axles, long travel shocks, Rubicrawler 10.88:1, Allied Rockathon Beadlocks, AEV snorkel, Warn winch, purejeep rocker guard, stubby tire carrier, plus a ton of other mods.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-17-2010, 05:54 PM
Rock God

You can get the BFG KM2 345/75/16 which measures out at 36.4x13.5

2014 Rubi Unlimited

2008 2dr X SOLD
with some chit on it
post #6 of 10 Old 02-17-2010, 06:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i think im keeping my stock 17s for when i make the jump to 37s in college

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
post #7 of 10 Old 02-17-2010, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Ipe
Rock God

You're right, Interco is an option, but according to friends who've had them, they seem to have issues with being out-of-round and/or near impossible to balance.

There is the BFG 345/75R16 but as I understand it the BFG's run small. PhilD had 37x12.50r17's and said they measured out at roughly 35". Not interested in that.

In the interco camp I was looking at either the IROK, Truxus MT, or SSR, but this tire will be a daily driver so good road manners and longevity are somewhat of a factor.

What I had wanted was the Pitbull Radial Rocker 37x12.50R16.From what I had learned about it, that tire should have been the perfect solution: great off road, great on road. That tire is unfortunately on indefinite hold (according to Pitbull). There are tires like the Cooper STT 325/80R16 but they run really wide and are super expensive.

It looks like I'm going to be getting a spare set of OEM Moab takeoffs and joining the 17" crowd. Anybody looking for a set of used ProComp 8128's with Staun Internal Beadlocks?

OBTW, I still have my original set with the OEM tires... you know, just for the PITA state inspection time

post #8 of 10 Old 09-10-2014, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipe View Post
You're right, Interco is an option, but according to friends who've had them, they seem to have issues with being out-of-round and/or near impossible to balance.

There is the BFG 345/75R16 but as I understand it the BFG's run small. PhilD had 37x12.50r17's and said they measured out at roughly 35". Not interested in that.

In the interco camp I was looking at either the IROK, Truxus MT, or SSR, but this tire will be a daily driver so good road manners and longevity are somewhat of a factor.

What I had wanted was the Pitbull Radial Rocker 37x12.50R16.From what I had learned about it, that tire should have been the perfect solution: great off road, great on road. That tire is unfortunately on indefinite hold (according to Pitbull). There are tires like the Cooper STT 325/80R16 but they run really wide and are super expensive.

It looks like I'm going to be getting a spare set of OEM Moab takeoffs and joining the 17" crowd. Anybody looking for a set of used ProComp 8128's with Staun Internal Beadlocks?

OBTW, I still have my original set with the OEM tires... you know, just for the PITA state inspection time

revive the dead thread that aint so dead! I have the sad news from Cooper USA themselves that , due to lack of demand. they no longer offer the awesome Cooper STT 325/80R16 as I had a long-range plan for those as my up from 35x12.50x16s and I cannot do so. The Interco's just dont look right compared to a heavy rim ridge aroumd mid circumfrence; that sounds stupid but it's as if the shelf of mid wall on a PBR XO or the STT or the Toyo MT make a 16" large MT look and perform really well. I love 16"s and am having a tough pre choice on going with a huge waste of money ( I think) and getting the mighty Creepy Crawlers due to this ( Treps radials are an option but $$$ and HEAVY) ; I just recently learned about the 345 and 365 / 75r16 sized BFG and they cost right as well as are large enough at 36.46 or something but I have E rated STTs and the sidewalls are like steel. I have heard les than great sidewall stories on D walls where roots and granite are. Ive been bread and spread in the south so granite and pine are alway rippin and pokin my tires so I dont know about the BFGs. I DD about 24 per day and have lengthy Atlanta Nashville BlueRidge GA trips all year long so asphalt factors. The IROK NDs look so skinny . and I am ANGRY that this is like this. I would so lov to hear that after the initial year run of new Falken MTs of only 17" options, they expand to large 16"s next but likely wont wait that long nor hold breath. Another vent. Surf on, as the original dude said over 4 years ago....

post #9 of 10 Old 09-25-2014, 08:49 AM
Granite Guru

Toyo sells a 385/70 r 16
mine measure at about 37" true height on the jeep.

they are big. I'd call them something along the lines of a 38x14 tire and I think I got them for under $400 per.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-03-2014, 08:55 AM
Wheeler

BFG and Swamper are pretty big in the 16" tire market. The new Irock ND's seem to be a really nice tire. I haven't seen too many in person but they are selling like crazy. If you want to talk about options feel free to shoot me a PM or give me a call.

Devin Black
Sales/Tech
800-884-1647 Ext. 4835

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode