Another clutch bites the dust - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 02-09-2010, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Another clutch bites the dust

I just heard back from my dealer that I need to replace the clutch, slave cylinder, throw out bearing, some plate, etc. Just wonderful. I have 13,000 miles on it, and shockingly enough they don't want to cover it under 12,000 mile warranty.

The thing is, at 11,703 miles, I complained to the same dealer that I was having issued with the clutch, and it popping out of first gear. The tech told me there was nothing wrong with it, and it happens from time to time.

Sure it does.

So now I am staring at a $1300 bill to replace everything.

As suggested by JerzeyJeep, and Mr. T, I called Chrysler Corporate and opened a claim. I should hear back tomorrow about a resolution. Hopefully, they will offer "goodwill assistance" and cover the clutch. If not, I will be taking the Jeep off the lot, and bringing it to a shop close to me to have the clutch replaced. The shop quoted about $800 to replace everything with factory parts. Hey, I just saved enough to buy a bumper, or food since I don't have a job.

I figure if I do end up having to pay for it, I will upgrade the clutch to a Spec clutch...Jeremy at Spec said I should go for either the 2+ or 3+, being that this is my DD. While I haven't taken the Jeep off road here in Missouri yet, I am told that it is mostly rocks and mud, which is different than the sand and water in Jersey.

Any thoughts as to the 2+ or 3+. Should I be looking at a different manufacturer?

Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 02-09-2010, 09:36 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I feel your pain. I have had my clutch out twice in 29000 miles. Once for the throw out bearing, then it started a new noise, so they pulled it again and replaced the plate. It was all under warranty.
So far, Chrysler Customer Service has been helpful with my MYGIG issues although it is still not completely resolved.
If my clutch goes again, I will definitely be looking for a aftermarket unit, so I am interested to see how this turns out for you. Good Luck!

2007 Rubicon Unlimited 4D Silver, 4" Superlift
35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, Summit Racing 15" wheels
Smittybilt XRC front bumper with XRC8 Syn

96 XJ, 8"lift, 36" Swampers, 8.8 detroit rear, lots of other mods
post #3 of 26 Old 02-09-2010, 09:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmg5819 View Post
I just heard back from my dealer that I need to replace the clutch, slave cylinder, throw out bearing, some plate, etc. Just wonderful. I have 13,000 miles on it, and shockingly enough they don't want to cover it under 12,000 mile warranty.

The thing is, at 11,703 miles, I complained to the same dealer that I was having issued with the clutch, and it popping out of first gear. The tech told me there was nothing wrong with it, and it happens from time to time.

Sure it does.

As suggested by JerzeyJeep, and Mr. T, I called Chrysler Corporate and opened a claim. I should hear back tomorrow about a resolution. Hopefully, they will offer "goodwill assistance" and cover the clutch. If not, I will be taking the Jeep off the lot, and bringing it to a shop close to me to have the clutch replaced. The shop quoted about $800 to replace everything with factory parts. Hey, I just saved enough to buy a bumper, or food since I don't have a job.

I figure if I do end up having to pay for it, I will upgrade the clutch to a Spec clutch...Jeremy at Spec said I should go for either the 2+ or 3+, being that this is my DD. While I haven't taken the Jeep off road here in Missouri yet, I am told that it is mostly rocks and mud, which is different than the sand and water in Jersey.

Any thoughts as to the 2+ or 3+. Should I be looking at a different manufacturer?

Thanks for any advice.
The trans does like to pop out of first on occasion, there are several threads about it.
Sucks about the clutch though, mine has 60,000 on it and is doing alright.

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 02-10-2010, 05:21 AM
Rock God

Garage

Wow Larry, sounds like you had happen exactly what happened to me... given the parts list. Sorry to hear it, and good luck with the Corporate folks.

I was just pissed that my clutch only lasted me 37K. On my last car, it was 107K on the original before it started slipping. I only wish that I had a spec installed when it blew. I was fawked and had to have them install OEM again. Next failure (i figure around 70-80K), I am upgrading for sure.

Jersey
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew
JK retired Wednesday, March 21st, 2012.
07 X 6spd • Clayton 3.5 • OME LT • ORE Gussets/Sleeves • RCV Shafts • JKS Discos & Track • AEV Snorkel • FLW Rear Bumper • RRF Front• PSC Sliders • RROR Skids • Poly P. Ball Joints• Wood's Shafts• Yukon Gears • Maxxis Kreepy Krawlers • Superwinch epi9• Safari Straps
post #5 of 26 Old 02-10-2010, 05:48 AM
Rock God

OP, thanks for the info. i just rolled 11k and the chirping is driving me nuts - i've been told it's likely the throwout bearing, not the clutch itself. making my appointment today.... i've also had the popping out of gear thing happen. just this past weekend after pulling out of the garage, i threw her in first, went to let out the clutch and she dropped out of gear with a BANG. shit, i was sure i left my tranny on the road with the sound and shudder it made, lol
post #6 of 26 Old 02-10-2010, 07:20 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to benmar2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
Wow Larry, sounds like you had happen exactly what happened to me... given the parts list. Sorry to hear it, and good luck with the Corporate folks.

I was just pissed that my clutch only lasted me 37K. On my last car, it was 107K on the original before it started slipping. I only wish that I had a spec installed when it blew. I was fawked and had to have them install OEM again. Next failure (i figure around 70-80K), I am upgrading for sure.
My old YJ's clutch lasted until 100K miles.. What is it with clutches in these things..

Vote - Bacon for 2012!!!
Power to the People!!! Time for a Revolution!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
roll, roll, roll your joint, twist is at the end, light it up and take a puff now pass it to a friend.
post #7 of 26 Old 02-10-2010, 07:33 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmar2000 View Post
My old YJ's clutch lasted until 100K miles.. What is it with clutches in these things..
I got almost 70k on mine and the throwout is starting to whine a touch but it grabs great still...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 26 Old 02-10-2010, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:

Sure it does.

Thanks for any advice.
Owning a SPEC 3+ myself, I recommend a 2+ for DD. You can DD a 3+ once you get use to it, it just isnt going to slip like the factory one does. It won't even remotely feel the same as to what you are use to.

The one thing that you will be impressed by with the SPEC is the build quality.. when you unbox it you are gonna want to hang it on the wall.

Do a search for SPEC clutch for a more complete review.

Centerforce is another option and there are a couple people on JKO wo are running it.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #9 of 26 Old 02-10-2010, 11:24 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
Owning a SPEC 3+ myself, I recommend a 2+ for DD. You can DD a 3+ once you get use to it, it just isnt going to slip like the factory one does. It won't even remotely feel the same as to what you are use to.

The one thing that you will be impressed by with the SPEC is the build quality.. when you unbox it you are gonna want to hang it on the wall.

Centerforce is another option and there are a couple people on JKO wo are running it.

Heard a lot of good about the Spec 3, on my Camaro I ran a McLeod DF race clutch, billet McLeod FW, mated to a fully built BW T-56 6spd, this damn clutch didn't slip a bit, never had any issues getting used to it, stiffer but adaptable. I have 400 miles left on warranty, dealership just replaced my 5th times a charm rattling clutch with a whole new full assembly...again. But once this one goes it's probably going to be Spec unless McLeod comes out with one.
post #10 of 26 Old 02-10-2010, 01:48 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAzGirlsDriveBadAzToyz View Post
i threw her in first, went to let out the clutch and she dropped out of gear with a BANG. shit, i was sure i left my tranny on the road with the sound and shudder it made, lol
Mine did this the other morning, and I just thought I was being a retard and missed the shift. Should I be worried? If so, what do I tell the dealer to look for?
post #11 of 26 Old 02-10-2010, 02:46 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavitron View Post
Mine did this the other morning, and I just thought I was being a retard and missed the shift. Should I be worried? If so, what do I tell the dealer to look for?
1.5 yrs ago, mine was popping out of 2nd, 4th & 6th, dealer replaced the mechanism inside the shifter tower assembly that was screwed up. It seems to be a common problem, mine has worked fine since.
post #12 of 26 Old 02-10-2010, 08:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASQUATCH View Post
1.5 yrs ago, mine was popping out of 2nd, 4th & 6th, dealer replaced the mechanism inside the shifter tower assembly that was screwed up. It seems to be a common problem, mine has worked fine since.
Then what was it sitting in the Ron Carter service bay for yesterday? Lol.
post #13 of 26 Old 02-11-2010, 12:20 AM
Rock God

My clutch pedal just started having a slight vibe feeling at 10000...I searched on the forum to find out if there are any known issues...apparently...there are several regarding the manual transmission in these JKs. Pity, since when I traded my 98 TJ with 150000 miles it still had the original clutch going strong...Guess they just don't make 'em like they used to........
post #14 of 26 Old 02-11-2010, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Here is what my clutch looked like. I have no idea what this means, or whether it looks bad or not, but the dealership said it was destroyed. You tell me.
Name:  clutch1.jpg
Views: 2711
Size:  309.6 KB

Name:  clutch2.jpg
Views: 2375
Size:  332.2 KB
post #15 of 26 Old 02-11-2010, 08:55 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob4607 View Post
Then what was it sitting in the Ron Carter service bay for yesterday? Lol.

umm...not the clutch?...
post #16 of 26 Old 02-11-2010, 09:33 AM
Granite Guru

Don't get it done at the dealer.. i just had a hole clutch kit, slave and master cylinder installed and ready to go for $785

Help JKO Grow

post #17 of 26 Old 02-11-2010, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Chrysler stepped up and is covering it under warranty. All is good in the world again.
post #18 of 26 Old 02-11-2010, 09:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

Yeah standard transmission stuff is easy enough if you were mechanically inclined enough to do your own lift you can do a manual trans job.
post #19 of 26 Old 03-01-2010, 08:16 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Chrysler stepped up and is covering it under warranty. All is good in the world again.
Now you just need to learn how to drive stick . 2 clutches in under 12k miles ain't normal, Larry. Even with 35's.

2009 Sahara Unlimited. 5.7L Hemi truck setup. Rock Krawler 5.5 coil over LA. Maxxis Trepador 40's . ATX Rims, XRC front rear and side armor. RROR Crusher corners, RROR flat flares. Warn XD9000i. Prorock 44 with RCV shafts. 5.13 gears, ARB front and rear lockers.
post #20 of 26 Old 03-01-2010, 09:15 AM
Wheeler

I noticed its hard for me to pop into 2nd and 3rd gear. not to hard but it needs pressure to put in those gears than any other. Is that something to worry about?
post #21 of 26 Old 03-01-2010, 10:44 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post

When my clutch was making noise, the dealership recommended changing to an aftermarket. I bought the SPEC 2+ after reading HITMONEY's reviews. They installed it under the warranty. What a difference.

The only thing I found different is starting the JK on the trail with the clutch engaged. Some areas the JK would not start with the SPEC where the stock clutched slipped.

2007 Wrangler 2dr X
post #22 of 26 Old 03-01-2010, 11:05 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_campede View Post
When my clutch was making noise, the dealership recommended changing to an aftermarket. I bought the SPEC 2+ after reading HITMONEY's reviews. They installed it under the warranty. What a difference.

The only thing I found different is starting the JK on the trail with the clutch engaged. Some areas the JK would not start with the SPEC where the stock clutched slipped.
You got a dealer to install a non factory part into a warranteed job? WOW!

2009 Sahara Unlimited. 5.7L Hemi truck setup. Rock Krawler 5.5 coil over LA. Maxxis Trepador 40's . ATX Rims, XRC front rear and side armor. RROR Crusher corners, RROR flat flares. Warn XD9000i. Prorock 44 with RCV shafts. 5.13 gears, ARB front and rear lockers.
post #23 of 26 Old 03-03-2010, 09:07 AM
Granite Guru

What is it with the clutches in the JK's? I had a YJ that had 160,000kms on it before it needed a clutch!
Currently my JK has 43,500kms on it and I would say 40,000kms of that is with 35's and so far so good *knocks on wood, crosses fingers, and whispers so the Jeep won't overhear and get ideas*. If it were to go I have my factory 100k km warranty I can try and use.

I have been to several local Jeep shops and every one reccomends LUK clutches for Jeeps. They say the LUK clutches stand up to water/mud of Ontario wheeling much better than a Spec or Centerforce will. The LUK is equivilant to a "2+" in other manufacturers clutches.
post #24 of 26 Old 03-03-2010, 09:26 AM
Rock God

Having driven clutches since the '48 Willys I think what's up with clutches these days is the hydro clutch as opposed to the cable ones. Real hard for me at least to tell exactly what the clutch is doing. Especially in the last one in the Xterra that had a dual mass flywheel for mall crawling. Does the JK have a dual mass flywheel? If so I'd recommend getting a Jim Wolf solid one.
That helped a little in the X. But it still burned a clutch every 8K like clockwork. The disk area was way too small for the weight of the X IMHO.

Clutches, how's that 1920s technology working out for y'all? Hell if the JK had a cable clutch I'd probably be owning one myself. They are a lot more fun than the auto but I got tired of the drama with today's clutch operation.

2009 JK Rubicon Unlimited. Rock Hard skids, Skidrow Control Arm Skids, Shrockworks bumpers. Pro Comp 2" Puck Lift.

Last edited by J. Kickerman; 03-03-2010 at 09:26 AM. Reason: old fart spelling again.
post #25 of 26 Old 03-08-2010, 09:07 PM
Rock God

My JK is in the shop tonight. It has been popping out of 1st gear for months and I thought it was just me. I have had sticks all my life and never had this happen before.

It appears from other forums that a TSB was issued for this 3/3/10 for this exact problem. Hopefully the dealer will not play the "we cannot replicate the problem" crap.

TSB 21-001-10 All JKs with manual trans. 2007-2010.

I am a girl and I have a Jeep with some stuff on it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode