Damn hail!!! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 06-19-2008, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Damn hail!!!

Is the sheet metal on the hood thin? Had a nasty thunder storm the other day with dime-nickel size hail. Thought the hood was ok after it stopped cuz I didn't see anything, but after all the water dried I see very faint dimples all over the hood. Only see them at certain angles. My partner has a Cobalt and her hood is fine. Not a mark. Not really a big deal cuz I know I'll put some dents and dimples in it on my own but not all over the hood. Looks like Mini Me tapped dance on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-19-2008, 10:46 AM
Rock God

Yep...that sheet metal is pretty thin everywhere on the JK. It's a Chrysler thing nowadays. My 03 Ram Quad Cab was the same way. You lean against a door and it collapsed like a cheap whiffle ball. Luckily it bounced back.

Sorry to hear about your hood. Maybe your insurance can get you one of those AEV hoods.

'07 Rubicon

Last edited by BigO; 06-19-2008 at 10:48 AM.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-19-2008, 04:02 PM

That's why I carry an old Army blanket in the Jeep...lay that puppy down over the hood and ward off hail damage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-19-2008, 04:48 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustoff '68 View Post
That's why I carry an old Army blanket in the Jeep...lay that puppy down over the hood and ward off hail damage.
Yep,..carry a couple blankets also, just ran out a couple days ago from a Hail threat & put it on. If they made the JK any heavier it would be able to move the 3.8

Jim,
USMC 0311 - 1811 RVN (Dec 67 - Aug 69) DAV, DMZ "Leatherneck square"((To All The "November Charlie Foxtrot's" that think they know)) You Are Clueless
G27 , G26, & G22-C
post #5 of 8 Old 06-19-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nam6869usmc View Post
Yep,..carry a couple blankets also, just ran out a couple days ago from a Hail threat & put it on. If they made the JK any heavier it would be able to move the 3.8
Never had that worry with a TJ...the hoods on the TJ required real effort to put a dent in them...same as in my wife's Liberty...heavy guage steel...the JK...wafer thin tin foil
post #6 of 8 Old 06-19-2008, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Damn...knew the storm was coming but not the hail. Don't get it too often here. Gonna have to throw some blankets in the jeep now I guess. As far as insurance I got a 500 deduct and right now the funds are tight. Guess I have to live with it for awhile.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-19-2008, 09:41 PM
Rock God

Worse case next time take out the floor mat's and lay them across the hood. It would cover a large percentage. I have a rubber mat thinggy for when I get stuff that needs to be stored in the back. I now know what I will be using those puppies would bounce right back up.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-24-2008, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Yee Haw...I just found a legitimate use for my girlfriends Winsor Pilates mat that she never uses...Wonder if she minds me cuttin it in half!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode