I hate hard tops - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 01-22-2010, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to njjk08
I hate hard tops

I just got the wiring kit for the hard top and I gotta say.. It sucks ass. I pick it up from the local jeep dealer for $155. I get home and start working on it. Well. The instructions are the worst i've ever seen. There are no words. Just pictures with arrows that could be pointing to anything in the picture. Really horrible but I figure it out anyway. I double check everything and install it correctly and when I go to start the jeep..... Nothing. Its trying to turn over but thats about it. So.. I take it all apart ( this is about 3 hours into the install already). Then I try it with the stock wires. It starts fine. So.. I go back and try the kit again. Double, triple, quadruple checking each connection. NOTHING.... I give up and come back the next day. Take every connection apart and try it again. NOTHING.. I put it back to stock and take it to the dealer to see what they have to say. They won't do anything for me. They say its about 2 hours to install or remove the kit. They will charge me $105 an hour to "diagnose" the problem which means they will remove the kit I installed, then check it out, then prolly order another one (they aren't sure yet) and then reinstall it and flash the computer. All that will end up costing me $200 less than the price I paid for the hard top. $600 to get a windshield wiper and defroster working. What a bunch of shit. So.. I can't return it.. I know the kit is faulty and they won't do anything about it. Soooo... its just sitting in the jeep. All the wires are run through the jeep and taped off near the battery. Its a $150 waste. Anyway. I just had to rant about this. Its really annoying since I had a few people look at it including my brother in law who is a electrical engineer and everyone says its installed correctly... just that the wires in the kit have to be screwed up. UGGGGGGG.... Sooo.. thats why I hate hard tops.

Chris.....

Building a BIGGER and BETTER Jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-22-2010, 07:19 PM
JKO Addict!

That sucks.... want to check my wiring to compare?
post #3 of 14 Old 01-22-2010, 07:21 PM
Wheeler

Out of all the accessories I have installed, the ones from Mopar have to be the biggest PITA.

They don't include the steps where you shout a chain of obscenities so loud that the neighbors are absolutely positive that you're possessed by Satan's anus. Or throwing most of your tools in the driveway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 01-22-2010, 08:04 PM
Granite Guru

A few years ago I got a free hardop for my TJ that didnt have hardtop wiring. I just removed the wiper assembly from the rear glass and plugged the hole with a plastic cap from ace hardware. No defrost and no wiper, no problemo! I just had to scrape the rear glass on frosty mornings, not a big deal and I never missed the rear wiper since I didnt have one to start with! Maybe you can return your wire harness when on a saturday or somehing when a different person is working in parts. Good Luck!

I will never forget that I am an American, fighting for freedom, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made this country free
post #5 of 14 Old 01-22-2010, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'm just gonna remove the kit, seal the package up and trick someone on here into buying it.. hahaha..... KIDDING.. I wouldn't wish this install kit on my worst enemy.

Chris.....

post #6 of 14 Old 01-22-2010, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
That sucks.... want to check my wiring to compare?
I'll check it out at Lou's if you are there.

Chris.....

post #7 of 14 Old 01-22-2010, 08:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njjk08 View Post
I'll check it out at Lou's if you are there.
I will be.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-22-2010, 08:26 PM
Rock God

Garage

The dealer has to flash the wiring harness into your computer with the starscan tool. I think that this is probably your problem. I've never heard of it not starting after the install, but our computers are so shitty, it wouldn't surprise me. Did you try to reset the computer by touching the battery terminals together?

'07 2 door Rubicon Steel Blue & Black 2 Tone
PROUD to be an
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 14 Old 01-22-2010, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKrazed View Post
The dealer has to flash the wiring harness into your computer with the starscan tool. I think that this is probably your problem. I've never heard of it not starting after the install, but our computers are so shitty, it wouldn't surprise me. Did you try to reset the computer by touching the battery terminals together?
yeah.. i know.. that was my problem. I couldn't hook the wires up because the jeep wouldn't start. So I would be stuck taking it to them and then they'd hit me with all those charges cause they won't work off of what I started.

I explained to them that everyone seems to have different results before the flashing but I can't even get the jeep started. They kept telling me I used the wrong connections or didn't connect the computer but I checked soo many times I know I did it right.

Chris.....

post #10 of 14 Old 01-22-2010, 10:04 PM
Granite Guru

I have some crazy electrical hiccups w mine. Front power windows will quit working, and the radio will go blank like a blowed fuse. The window deal has happen twice. Stop, turn off Jeep,start back up and the windows will work. The radio is a seperate issue. The fuse was fine. Disconnect the neg side of the battery for a min or so ,hook it back up, radio works. Called my friend(service advisor for dealership) and he told me to try the battery disconnect. It worked. If you KNOW you got it wired right, try disconnecting the battery for a few min and then hook it back up. I'm not saying this will work but its worth a try. The dealership ordered me another radio but I dont think thats the problem. It's some kind of electrical glidge.
post #11 of 14 Old 01-23-2010, 07:27 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

that sux makes me glad i got mine with hardtop already good luck!

The rubicon is a 29 km. river in northern Italy. "Crossing the rubicon" is a popular idiom meaning to pass a point of no return. Originating from Ceasaer's 49 BC crossing of the river, which was considered an act of war
post #12 of 14 Old 01-23-2010, 08:30 AM
Rock God

Garage

Why hasn't anyone given the standard,

WA Friken WA.

You're a crybaby :bawling :

post #13 of 14 Old 03-07-2010, 07:28 AM
Wheeler

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topkicker View Post
I have some crazy electrical hiccups w mine. Front power windows will quit working, and the radio will go blank like a blowed fuse. The window deal has happen twice. Stop, turn off Jeep,start back up and the windows will work. The radio is a seperate issue. The fuse was fine. Disconnect the neg side of the battery for a min or so ,hook it back up, radio works. Called my friend(service advisor for dealership) and he told me to try the battery disconnect. It worked. If you KNOW you got it wired right, try disconnecting the battery for a few min and then hook it back up. I'm not saying this will work but its worth a try. The dealership ordered me another radio but I dont think thats the problem. It's some kind of electrical glidge.

hard to believe they rated the JK worst of all vehicles.
post #14 of 14 Old 03-07-2010, 07:53 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Screw the hardtop wirring harness do you really think you are going to use the rear wiper, ok maybe the defroster may come in handy but I say screw the glass and the big wiper that takes up half the window!
I am working to replace the glass with a piece of plexiglass so that I can easily remove the rear window and I will be able to have a hardtop that give almost equal open air experience as a soft top

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode