AAHHHHH [RANT] - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 01-20-2010, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Angry AAHHHHH [RANT]

You have to be kidding me. Why is it that everything in an instruction manual seems so easy but when you go to do it its always a fiasco.

I tried to change my pads today. Turned out to be a colossal failure. Everything is going real smooth at first. Chalk the wheels, jack up the rear diff, pop a tire off...

Then trouble starts. I can't seem to get my socket wrench around the bolt on the brake caliper. No problem I use a u-joint... still no luck. I determine that if I compress the shock more I can get the top bolt off and if I decompress the shock I can get the bottom off. So I go about getting the other rear tire off to do just that. I figure its only another 15 minutes or so of work.

Then more trouble. The tire place I went to to get my wheels and tires installed over tightened one of the lugs on my driver side rear wheel. It comes about halfway off... then stops... and won't go either way. Great. I call for advice... get exactly what i expected. You need to let the tire shop take the wheel off so that way you aren't liable for damaging the lug or threads. Great. So now I get to waste tomorrow getting the jeep fixed for something that should have taken no more than half an hour.

As much as I wanted to do this myself I've decided that I'm just going to take the jeep to a brake shop and have them do it. I can't waste another two hours trying to do something that will take them 30 minutes.

For added effect. issed:

[/RANT]

jk-forum, jk-forum.com jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-20-2010, 02:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Sorry you are having so much trouble. Sucks about the tire shop.

I don't remember having any trouble with the caliper though, easiest brakes I've changed in a while. Have you tried using a wrench?.....longer extension? If you take the top bolt out the caliper will swing down.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-20-2010, 03:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Sorry to hear. I'm not trying to be a dick, but if you are having this much trouble with a simple job, then you need to have somebody there to help you so you can learn. I admire you diving in, but you would be further ahead to have somebody help you along.

The caliper bolts should come off very easy. Sounds like your using a ratchet. Use a standard wrench and you won't have any issues. As for the wheel stud, it sounds like it's screwed up. It isn't exactly safe to put it back together and drive it to the tire shop with a loose stud, so you may be better off just getting it off and replacing the stud yourself. Your only talking about a couple bucks each for a stud and a lugnut, and it's fairly easy to replace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-20-2010, 03:32 PM
Rock God

he had that much trouble with the brakes and you want him to change the stud? LOL
man ive had those days too. Nothing goes right and its all a pain. Go back to bed get up tomorrow, try again. < Best advice I can give ya.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-20-2010, 03:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage View Post
he had that much trouble with the brakes and you want him to change the stud? LOL
man ive had those days too. Nothing goes right and its all a pain. Go back to bed get up tomorrow, try again. < Best advice I can give ya.
Let me clarify. Get a friend to help, then replace stud and finish the rest of the job.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-20-2010, 03:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
Use a standard wrench and you won't have any issues.
Use a 6-point box-end wrench. Much less likely to round off the bolt's head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage
LOL. What he said.

Vidi, vici, veni

2008 Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #7 of 12 Old 01-21-2010, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Day 2...

I went to the tire shop. They took a pneumatic wrench to the lug on the wheel. Nothing. They took a 2 foot torque wrench to it... sheared the bolt. They sent me to another repair shop across the street. Their lot was full but they said they could at least replace the broken wheel bolt and lug at the expense of the tire shop (saved me $50). I get to walk home... just barely beat the rain... but missed the bus to get me there quickly. Fast forward to 1:00. The shop replaced the bolt and the lug and did my brakes for me.

Total Cost:

Service: $100
Brake Pads: $150

Time spent: Easily 3 hours

Note to self: Use a regular freakin wrench to get the bolts off the caliper not a socket wrench.

At least the EBC Green Stuff pads are freaking awesome. These things stop fast.

[/FIASCO]

EDIT: The tire shop was a mile away and I did have the tools to properly torque down the other four lugs to 95 ft lb and the stuck lug was easily 200 ft lbs tight on that bolt. I have yet to calculate the force required to shear that bolt but I'm going to estimate it was very high.

jk-forum, jk-forum.com jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler

Last edited by JaysJK; 01-21-2010 at 11:44 AM.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-21-2010, 10:19 PM
Rock God

I used a gear wrench on the rear calipers and they came off no problem with a little muscle.

I also had to have a stud replaced that a tire shop overtightened.

Do you have a link to the EBC pads?
post #9 of 12 Old 01-21-2010, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbound13 View Post
Do you have a link to the EBC pads?
I believe that these are the ones....

EBC GreenStuff- rear brake pads- 6000 Series- R90
Part# E35DP61799

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com
post #10 of 12 Old 01-22-2010, 04:04 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I believe that these are the ones....

EBC GreenStuff- rear brake pads- 6000 Series- R90
Part# E35DP61799

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com
And don't forget Woods sells 'em too

http://jeepswag.com/jeep_jk_brakes/index.html

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-22-2010, 07:40 AM
Rock God

Thanks!
post #12 of 12 Old 01-22-2010, 04:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Don't have to overtighten lugs to have them seize up, just happens.. usually with aftermarket chrome nuts. Just give studs a quick spritz with some wd40 or equiv to keep nuts from seizing

Sometimes I can pop a stud with a little effort sometimes I have to jump on the breaker bar. Impact gun usually won't do it

08 2 door (yes they made them) 3.5 RK lift, 35s lunchbox locked 30 front 44 LSD rear

Ocala Jeep Club CERT member. Nation's 1st jeep CERT team

Proud to be deplorable

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode