Rear gate shutting on me when my hand are full. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 01-19-2010, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Rear gate shutting on me when my hand are full.

I posted this on another Jeep forum but thought I'd share here too. Seems like every time my hands are full (grocery store,gun range,Home Depot,etc..) I end up parked on just enough incline where the gate wants to close shut on me. I installed this shock on the gate and problem solved. No more using my back as a gate prop. This could be a safty issue considering the weight of the gate. Could easily hurt a child if it closed on em. Don't feel good on an adult when it swings into your back while leaning in the rear with both hands full.

Last edited by Topkicker; 01-19-2010 at 11:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-19-2010, 11:58 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Looks good.

I have long thought of getting one of these. Kinda hit the back burner though now that the tire is off the tailgate and on a tire swing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old 01-19-2010, 12:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice, this is what my imaginary gate shock looks like. I have a drawing for it somewhere but that's as far as I got.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 01-19-2010, 01:14 PM
Banned

What pissed me off was that this USED to be a standard feature - It was a slide that locked when you had your gate all the way open. My 94 YJ had one, and I never realized how much I missed it until I got blind-sided by my tailgate for the first time.

What's that thing cost? I'm thinking it's prolly 65-70 bucks?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #5 of 18 Old 01-19-2010, 01:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
What pissed me off was that this USED to be a standard feature - It was a slide that locked when you had your gate all the way open. My 94 YJ had one, and I never realized how much I missed it until I got blind-sided by my tailgate for the first time.

I know you can buy all the pieces and DIY or get the Woods kid is 69.95 plus s&h. That's probably what I'll do eventually.

http://www.jeepswag.com/jeep_jk_tail...lder/index.htm

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #6 of 18 Old 01-19-2010, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

My wife ordered it. She got tired of hearing me swear in public parking lots. I think she ordered it from "4wheelparts". Think it was around 30 bucks. Took about 10 min to install. It opens real smooth as soon as you hit the handle button. Not much effort to shut either. This should be "standard equipment" IMO.
post #7 of 18 Old 01-19-2010, 06:10 PM
JKowners Vendor

The rear end of a Jeep is dangerous in general.
When our very first '07 4-door hard top arrived, Joey went to start pulling carpet out of the back. First, he was not prepared for the spring action of the rear window, which caught him in the chin. Then, as he reeled back, the tailgate swung into him and knocked him to his knees. Of course, when all of us witnessing this stopped laughing hysterically, we christened the Jeep "Gloria" for Gloria Steinem, the famous feminist "man hater".

Nena Barlow

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

post #8 of 18 Old 01-20-2010, 01:18 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep School View Post
The rear end of a Jeep is dangerous in general.
When our very first '07 4-door hard top arrived, Joey went to start pulling carpet out of the back. First, he was not prepared for the spring action of the rear window, which caught him in the chin. Then, as he reeled back, the tailgate swung into him and knocked him to his knees. Of course, when all of us witnessing this stopped laughing hysterically, we christened the Jeep "Gloria" for Gloria Steinem, the famous feminist "man hater".

post #9 of 18 Old 01-20-2010, 01:34 AM
ADDICTION II build begins....

I bought the JeepSwag rear tailgate for my 2 door as well as the 4 door....still have to put the 4 door rear door strut on though.

U.S. Army
post #10 of 18 Old 01-20-2010, 04:18 AM
Rock God

Garage

Probably the 100th thread about the "Tailgate shock" mod...

Nice job anyway and yes, it is very useful!
Worth the $$...
post #11 of 18 Old 01-20-2010, 08:46 AM
Granite Guru

cheepnis

Here's mine. Cheap and can also be used to keep stuff from blocking the subwoofer.

Last edited by drew; 02-09-2010 at 11:30 AM.
post #12 of 18 Old 01-20-2010, 09:22 AM
JKowners Vendor

Some additional details about my kit;
- The inside bracket is through bolted.
- The tailgate bracket is a machined aluminum support bar that attaches with threaded inserts.

No sheet metal screws anywhere. I also sell a modification kit that will upgrade other manufacturer's kits to the same specifications as mine.

Some pics;

Woods Storage Tub Enlargement Kit - Steering Stabilizer Relocation Kit - Evap Can Relocation Kit Muffler Relocation Kit - Tailgate Shock Kit
Buy Woods Kits at:
post #13 of 18 Old 01-20-2010, 09:37 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

woods kit installed for over a year and one of the top mods so far!

great customer service and great instructions, hell if i remember correct it even included the needed drill bit.
post #14 of 18 Old 01-20-2010, 09:45 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post

my 94 yj had no such thing. were you the first owner of it? if not the previous one may have put it on...

Life's hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
post #15 of 18 Old 01-20-2010, 09:49 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Here's mine. Cheap and can also be used to keep stuff from blocking the subwoofer.
Where can I get one of these? <sarcasm>

(thanks for the laugh anyway)
post #16 of 18 Old 01-20-2010, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Got the recept from the wife. The one I installed is made by Hoodlift. It was 54 bucks.
post #17 of 18 Old 01-21-2010, 09:07 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods View Post
Some additional details about my kit;
- The inside bracket is through bolted.
- The tailgate bracket is a machined aluminum support bar that attaches with threaded inserts.

No sheet metal screws anywhere. I also sell a modification kit that will upgrade other manufacturer's kits to the same specifications as mine.

Some pics;

Damn

That's one clean install dude
post #18 of 18 Old 01-23-2010, 12:29 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

big fan of the block-o-wood option

The rubicon is a 29 km. river in northern Italy. "Crossing the rubicon" is a popular idiom meaning to pass a point of no return. Originating from Ceasaer's 49 BC crossing of the river, which was considered an act of war
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode