Bubbled Paint - thanks Chrysler - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
View Poll Results: What do I do? (multiple choice enabled)
Go to dealer and demand repaint. 43 46.24%
Go to dealer, get told "you off roaded the Jeep" and pound sand 8 8.60%
File insurance claim with AAA 0 0%
File insurance claim with AAA and get told to go to Jeep 1 1.08%
Go to private repair shop and pay out of pocket 0 0%
Deal with it and end up with a totally screwed paint job 6 6.45%
Be thankful it's not a Hummer 28 30.11%
Bacon 38 40.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 12-27-2009, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Bubbled Paint - thanks Chrysler

I washed the Jeep today (no it's not a mall crawler) and noticed that the paint on the top hinge of my front passenger door is bubbling. I'm guessing from drip water resulting from my passenger side mirror. It's bubbled and looks like it might be cracked in a few places.

I'm not very pleased at all but am VERY skeptical to go to a dealer about it. I have NEVER had a good experience with Jeep/Chrysler even when I bought my Jeep.

So, what do I do? Having worked in the car care industry for a few years I know the potential problems with cracked paint and want to get the hinge sanded/repainted before it snowballs into a much larger, rusty problem.

Looks like there is already some rust forming:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Established April 1, 1983-
No dues, No rules, No President
ALL FUN!

Last edited by FUN LS1; 12-27-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 12-27-2009, 06:11 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Go to dealer and demand repaint!

Although I am partial to bacon.

Evo Coilovers, King Shocks & B-stops, R Dbl Throwdown System, 5:13, RE Driveshafts,
Rock Hard Skids. Viair Tank, LoD F&R Bumpers, PowerPlant, 3 Oddessy Batteries, Pro Comp 8128 17"
BFG T/A KO 37s, MasterPull Syn, sPOD, OTRATTW Switches, 12VOLTGUY.com Switchpanel, Woods Evap & Muff Relocate, Tailgate Holder
post #3 of 33 Old 12-27-2009, 06:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Corrosion is covered on a different warranty. Have the Dealer touch it up.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 12-27-2009, 06:28 PM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to redneckjk

i think the dealers are well aware of the problem and will do the repair with out any problems. the peeling paint on the outer hinges has something to do with the door part of the hinge being aluminum and the wrong primer being used at the factory. it won't hurt to call the dealer and ask the service manager before burning the gas.
post #5 of 33 Old 12-27-2009, 06:59 PM
JKO Addict!

1st: Go enjoy some bacon or bacon flavored product of your choice.

2nd: Go to the local auto parts store and pick up a few cans of Duplicolor spray on bedliner and a T-50 torx bit.

3rd: Plan a weekend to pull the hinges off and bedline them. It comes out great and will be much more durable.

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
post #6 of 33 Old 12-28-2009, 08:54 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to njjk08

mine came with bubbles, dents, and rust from the factory. I just plan on painting over myself this spring or summer.

Chris.....

Building a BIGGER and BETTER Jeep
post #7 of 33 Old 12-28-2009, 09:09 AM
Granite Guru

There is a TSB on that. The used steel bushings in the hindges from the factory. They updated it to aluminum bushings. The repair process does include repainting the hindges. Take to the dealer, if they are idiots let me know and I will get you the TSB.

I had mine done a couple of moths ago
post #8 of 33 Old 12-28-2009, 09:33 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProZack View Post
There is a TSB on that. The used steel bushings in the hindges from the factory. They updated it to aluminum bushings. The repair process does include repainting the hindges. Take to the dealer, if they are idiots let me know and I will get you the TSB.

I had mine done a couple of moths ago

Good info, I have the same problem with mine...

"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." -Ronald Reagan-
post #9 of 33 Old 12-28-2009, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Update:

Just got back from Huntington Beach Jeep, hinges will be in Monday for replacement and the Jeep goes in for paint same day. They are giving me a loaner/rental thanks to my extended warranty.

Can it be? An ACTUAL good experience with a Jeep dealer?!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ALL FUN!
post #10 of 33 Old 12-28-2009, 01:38 PM
Rock God

I noticed my hinges had paint bubbles on them too a few months ago. I gotta go check for rust. I'm kinda skeptical about taking my Jeep to the dealer, I too have never had any good experiences with the place I bought her from.

08 Unlimited Steel Blue
All Sorts of Crap on it

In the space of about 30 seconds, this man was in a car accident, an explosion, lit aflame and then kicked in the balls with more force than a human foot can technically take.

Future terrorists take note: this is your retirement package.
post #11 of 33 Old 12-28-2009, 01:58 PM
Rock God

Garage

Bacon man,

i scuffed up my hinges and bedlined them looks awesome and they were scratched anyway

2008 BLACK Unlimited Sahara
Poly Performance 3"on 35" Xterrains and 15" Soft 8s, Front Pro Rock 44, FLW Front Prerunner, FLW Rear Bumper, FLW Rock Sliders, River Raider Gen2 Snorkel, Superior 5.13s,
and

post #12 of 33 Old 12-28-2009, 03:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Before the local dealership closed I was doing their warranty work and Chrysler is aware of this problem. Pretty common on JK's, especially front doors due to more frequent use.

The fix is that your dealer will order new hinges, refinish and install.

When Chrysler paints our JK's at the factory they paint the hinges on the door. The back side of the hinge is not painted and neither is the door in that spot. After you open and close the door a bunch of times the flex causes there to be a gap, moisture gets in and the paint starts to bubble up.

Should not have any problems getting the dealer to cover. I have seen this problem on Jeeps still parked on the dealer lot.
post #13 of 33 Old 01-04-2010, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Just dropped my Jeep off at the dealer for the repaint. They gave me a rental under my extended warranty and it's a truck... gets worse mileage than my Jeep. After fuel in that and daily insurance I'm going to for sure lose money on this deal. I can't wait to see what damage the dealership does to my Jeep.

ALL FUN!
post #14 of 33 Old 01-04-2010, 02:45 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose512 View Post
Before the local dealership closed I was doing their warranty work and Chrysler is aware of this problem. Pretty common on JK's, especially front doors due to more frequent use.

The fix is that your dealer will order new hinges, refinish and install.

When Chrysler paints our JK's at the factory they paint the hinges on the door. The back side of the hinge is not painted and neither is the door in that spot. After you open and close the door a bunch of times the flex causes there to be a gap, moisture gets in and the paint starts to bubble up.

Should not have any problems getting the dealer to cover. I have seen this problem on Jeeps still parked on the dealer lot.
thanks for the info moose!

post #15 of 33 Old 01-05-2010, 05:54 AM
JKO Addict!

Should hold you over awhile, I've yet to see a redo by their paint dept that actually held up. They redid mine 1.5yrs back, it's already bubbling again, aluminum requires some really good prep prior prime/coatings. I'm going to do all of my hinges including the hood & tailgate myself in a couple weeks with self-etching primer & textured bedliner, will look good against the redrock.
post #16 of 33 Old 01-05-2010, 06:00 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09rubicon View Post
2nd: Go to the local auto parts store and pick up a few cans of Duplicolor spray on bedliner and a T-50 torx bit.

3rd: Plan a weekend to pull the hinges off and bedline them. It comes out great and will be much more durable.
X2.

I LIVE, I RIDE, I DESTROY, ANYTHING I GET BEHIND THE WHEEL OF
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnuvore View Post
But you either support your troops or you are shit.

post #17 of 33 Old 02-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Granite Guru

Ive been down this road.

The solution:

Me gettin down with new paint & parts.

Here's to you Chrysler

Thean Bellocchi
Poly Performance Inc.

Sales & Tech Support
805-783-2060 Ext. 200
Makers of the JK Synergy Suspension Systems & Parts.
post #18 of 33 Old 02-05-2010, 11:17 PM
ADDICTION II build begins....

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckjk View Post
i think the dealers are well aware of the problem and will do the repair with out any problems. the peeling paint on the outer hinges has something to do with the door part of the hinge being aluminum and the wrong primer being used at the factory. it won't hurt to call the dealer and ask the service manager before burning the gas.
I agree....I had the same situation happen and the service department helped me without any problems. They looked at it and said they would take care of it. They ordered new hinges and sending it to the paint bay. Should have my Jeep back later this week.

U.S. Army
post #19 of 33 Old 02-08-2010, 03:47 PM
S&S

Chrysler's taking care of mine.

'07 4 door X, 6spd
'96 2500 Ram, 6bt, getrag360, np205, 2.5 rockwells, 14.00r20XL's
'53 M38A1
'81 FLT
post #20 of 33 Old 02-10-2010, 06:29 PM
rob
Wheeler

Took mine to the dealer and showed him the paint bubbling up around the hinges. He ordered new hinges right away NO PROBLEM AT ALL. But no loaner car while repairs where being made. So i called chrysler and they paid for a rental no charge to me. NOTE Be careful to check out your window gaskets on all the door because mine had to be replaced. they were streched out when they removed them for painting doors/hinges. So both gaskets around my doors were also replaced with new.
All things considered the dealer and chrysler made it right and zero out of my pocket. I had to do some nice talking with chrysler ....you know you catch more flies with honey....and all that stuff

Rob
2008 Rubicon, Green
post #21 of 33 Old 06-10-2010, 08:52 AM
JKO Addict!

mine are doing it, lets see how well this plays out.
post #22 of 33 Old 06-10-2010, 09:22 AM
JKO Addict!

The dealerships suck at repairing this issue because they don't know how to prep alum apparently. They fixed mine, they bubbled again (knew they would), so finally couple weeks ago I rattled on some bedliner from Autozone just to see how I'd like the black hinges against Redrock, looks awesome, texture hides the bubbles .

I know how to prep alum and will remove all of them next and give them the treatment and have them TNT bedlined with the real stuff after I prep the alum.
post #23 of 33 Old 06-11-2010, 11:46 AM

My hinges started doing that not even a year out after buying it. As of today, it has not peeled, mine is an 07 bought in october 2006, and the bubbles have gotten worst. I talked with a Jeep dealership about it, they said that it not covered under warrenty, and basically to go pound sand.

So Im wheeling it, and when it flakes, I'll either repaint them or get new hinges.

Hell, my JK has over 100,000 miles on it now, and they have not peeled, I dont think many may have to worry for a while. Ive gotten used to them.

What ticks me off, ist he little black tar spots that are a pain to get off, and the mini micro specs of rust inbetween the paint particles that if you look really closely you can see. And in a light color jeep like greay stone pearl like mine or white its probably very noticable.
post #24 of 33 Old 06-11-2010, 02:14 PM
Rock God

Just noticed it on mine the other day. I thought it was an 07 prob and was fixed, mine is an 08

2008 Red Rock Sahara Unlimited (stock)

PAVED ROADS
A fine example of needless
government spending
post #25 of 33 Old 10-26-2010, 03:00 PM
Wheeler

I had the plates that hold the windshield replaced and painted but now almost every exterior door hinge is bubling really bad. I have had the 08 for 26 months and took it to the dealer twice and to body shop they sent me to only to thave Chyrsler deny the claim. THe warranty os 160km for perforation from what i am told and I have 154k
They told me to call chrysler and they told me to call the stealership.

I will call nad raise hell but if someone can show me a TSB or something that i can ram down thier throats that would be great

Bastages I tell you

ARGH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode