Do we still need a folding windshield? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 125 Old 12-17-2009, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Do we still need a folding windshield?

I saw in a Write up all the steps it takes to lower the windshield and that it takes half a day! Plus, the windshield is now part of the upper structure of the vehicle as the cage attaches to it making it pretty much impractical to drive with the windshield down.

So the question is: who still needs a windshield that can be lowered? I say screw this feature and give the windshield a bit more angle so it doesn't chip at every turn; and we get an extra mpg!

2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Warn 9.5ti winch
2.5-inch Teraflex lift
35-inch General Grabbers

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Rubicon Wheels and Tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 125 Old 12-17-2009, 06:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I think they should make it a fixed structure but I don't want anymore rake.

It was originally made to fold down so they could shoot from the seats. Don't think that is needed now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #3 of 125 Old 12-17-2009, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
I think they should make it a fixed structure but I don't want anymore rake.

It was originally made to fold down so they could shoot from the seats. Don't think that is needed now.
Wow, I didn't think of that.

And during CJ days I believe some people wanted to lower the windshield to clear under low hanging tree branches, etc. But with the cage in place it is a useless feature for that too.

Warn 9.5ti winch
2.5-inch Teraflex lift
35-inch General Grabbers

Rubicon Wheels and Tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 125 Old 12-17-2009, 06:21 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #5 of 125 Old 12-17-2009, 06:24 PM
Rock God

I say do away with it too! I've seen 1...maybe 2 pics of a JK with it folded down...to much work for me though!!

HANG ON TIGHT...I SAW THIS IN A CARTOON ONCE...I THINK I CAN DO IT!!
08 4 DOOR, FLAME RED, 3" SKYJACKER LIFT, 325/70-17 NITTO TERRA GRAPPLERS, MOTO METAL 951 WHEELS, RANCHO REAR BUMPER/TIRE CARRIER,DAYSTAR HOOD WRANGLERS, RAINGLER GRIPS, MOPAR SLUSH MATS
post #6 of 125 Old 12-17-2009, 06:53 PM
Rock God

Get rid of it. For normal, civilian use it doesn't offer any benefits.

Hell, I'd do away with the removable top or at the least make the sides removable but leave the top permanently attached. I have way more use for an integrated roof rack then I do for a removable top.

Just my opinion.

Those that the beast is looking for...
Listen in awe and you will hear him...
BARK AT THE MOON!
post #7 of 125 Old 12-17-2009, 06:57 PM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

They should make em without any windshield or roll bars at all. Maybe they could include a pair of goggles when you buy one, a helmet too.

corey d

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #8 of 125 Old 12-17-2009, 07:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Interesting that this came up today, I was just going to look for a "lower the windshield" thread because I have never done it. I put my JK in my toy hauler and it fits just right, it is almost right over the axles - if I lower the windshield I can place the Jeep directly over the axles, which makes for better pulling... I also have to take the back rack and tire off for it to fit so it is going to be work either way. I will try it and see what is the lesser of two evils...

post #9 of 125 Old 12-17-2009, 07:31 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RonGilbert View Post
Interesting that this came up today, I was just going to look for a "lower the windshield" thread because I have never done it. I put my JK in my toy hauler and it fits just right, it is almost right over the axles - if I lower the windshield I can place the Jeep directly over the axles, which makes for better pulling... I also have to take the back rack and tire off for it to fit so it is going to be work either way. I will try it and see what is the lesser of two evils...

THATS SOOOOO COOL, I like it Ron.

Póg mo thóin!
post #10 of 125 Old 12-17-2009, 07:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to JohnnyWalker

While we're at it, let's round off the body some more, make a front wheel drive only option, and lower it about 4 or 5 inches.

And a cooler name like "Compass" You're never lost if you have a compass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlime? View Post
Did you just search for "gay" or "halo" and bump those threads?
post #11 of 125 Old 12-17-2009, 07:45 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWalker View Post
While we're at it, let's round off the body some more, make a front wheel drive only option, and lower it about 4 or 5 inches.

OR a 4 cyl with factory neon lights and lots of CHROME.

Póg mo thóin!
post #12 of 125 Old 12-18-2009, 05:08 AM
Granite Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to Squirrel Killer

i look at it like this.... The round headlights are deffinately JEEP. You see this because when they switched to Square for those few years, JEEPERS blew a gasket. THe top off deffinately JEEP. The windshield being able to fold deffinately JEEP.

Change it to make it easier to put down and I am game. But dont take it away. Maybe focus on creating something that doesnt leak when it rains, that I would go for.

2013 Commando Green Sport S
TF 2.5", RK Control Arms, Gobi Stealth Rack, Level 8 Tracker Pro on 35's, TruckLite LEDs, TrailDash
-Sean
post #13 of 125 Old 12-18-2009, 07:13 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWalker View Post

Score........I may never fold my windshield but it's nice to know I can. Although with the curved glass and frame it really looks weird.

No offense Malo but IMHO making the top attach permanently would surely be the end of the Wrangler as we know it. The open air experience is the best feature for a lot of us. If they water it down enough then it's just another mid sized SUV. There are certain elements that make a Jeep a Jeep.

EDIT> Oh and I hear once you get practice it takes about 40 minutes to drop the windshield....

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.

Last edited by gold knight; 12-18-2009 at 07:17 AM.
post #14 of 125 Old 12-18-2009, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
Oh and I hear once you get practice it takes about 40 minutes to drop the windshield....
Maybe, but 40 minutes does not seem that quick to me LOL

And even then, the front of the roll cage stays sticking out like a pair of antlers, defeating the whole point of lowering the windshield.

Here is a pic of a JK with the windshield down (sorry, this is at the "other" forum) http://www.jk-forum.com/showthread.php?p=1294003

Warn 9.5ti winch
2.5-inch Teraflex lift
35-inch General Grabbers

Rubicon Wheels and Tires
post #15 of 125 Old 12-18-2009, 08:09 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk_techcrash View Post

THATS SOOOOO COOL, I like it Ron.

Yes, it is!
post #16 of 125 Old 12-18-2009, 08:25 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

YES!!! we still need folding windshields. WE DRIVE JEEPS. I have only put my windshield down once just to do it but still cmon we cant stray from the Jeep roots.
post #17 of 125 Old 12-18-2009, 08:35 AM
JKO Addict!

I am a fan of adding rake to the windshield regardless if it folds down or not. You can still keep the boxy look and add more angle. The lower 40 has another 10 degrees I believe and I havent heard anyone say that it looks worse that way.
post #18 of 125 Old 12-18-2009, 08:49 AM
JKO Addict!

Yes, we need a folding windshield.

That's part of being a Jeep.
post #19 of 125 Old 12-18-2009, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

One of the traits that impresses me of Wrangler is how Jeep has stuck to it's "form-follows-function" philosophy over the years (e.g., exposed hinges to remove the doors, bolted on flares and bumpers for easy swap, solid axles for durability, trusty hand-operated 4WD lever, removable carpeting for hose-down cleaning, etc.)

Given that 0.01% of us will ever lower our windshields, it seems it's function has long passed. Sticking with Wrangler's form-follows-function philosophy: do away with it!

Warn 9.5ti winch
2.5-inch Teraflex lift
35-inch General Grabbers

Rubicon Wheels and Tires
post #20 of 125 Old 12-18-2009, 09:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldo90731 View Post
One of the traits that impresses me of Wrangler is how Jeep has stuck to it's "form-follows-function" philosophy over the years (e.g., exposed hinges to remove the doors, bolted on flares and bumpers for easy swap, solid axles for durability, trusty hand-operated 4WD lever, removable carpeting for hose-down cleaning, etc.)

Given that 0.01% of us will ever lower our windshields, it seems it's function has long passed. Sticking with Wrangler's form-follows-function philosophy: do away with it!
The function hasn't long passed, it's still there, it's still entirely use-able, and it's a feature that belongs on a Jeep.

If you really don't like the fold down windshield than you should consider a Grand Cherokee, Commander, Compass, or Patriot.
post #21 of 125 Old 12-18-2009, 10:12 AM
Rock God

My dad's CJ5X is infinitely more fun with the windshield down:

-Established April 1, 1983-
No dues, No rules, No President
ALL FUN!
post #22 of 125 Old 12-18-2009, 10:23 AM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage
Question

I like the comments but all have failed to mention the most important reason of why we still need a folding front windshield.

If you flop or roll a Jeep will a fixed front window it is a total loss and not repairable. The folding front winshield frame is replacable whic makes fixing a Jeep a real possibility even in your own garage.

Why own a Jeep if the heritage is gone?

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #23 of 125 Old 12-18-2009, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverzendz View Post
If you really don't like the fold down windshield than you should consider a Grand Cherokee, Commander, Compass, or Patriot.
Duh, like anyone here chose a JK BECAUSE OF THE folding windshield!!!

Warn 9.5ti winch
2.5-inch Teraflex lift
35-inch General Grabbers

Rubicon Wheels and Tires
post #24 of 125 Old 12-18-2009, 10:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldo90731 View Post
Duh, like anyone here chose a JK BECAUSE OF THE folding windshield!!!
That's not what I said.

They chose it because it's a Jeep. Like Jason said, there's heritage that comes along with that. Part of that heritage is what you, apparently, despise so much.

post #25 of 125 Old 12-18-2009, 10:50 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

a folding windshield is definitely a large part of what defines a a Jeep.
the big characteristics of a Jeep are the slatted grill, removable top,folding windshield and 4 wheel drive (that one has already been made a variable)
if you don't want a folding windshield, buy a cherokee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode