Lifetime Powertrain Warranty test - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 12-15-2009, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Lifetime Powertrain Warranty test

Wellll, I have had this terrible squeaking in the rear end for a couple of weeks now. It has been like chasing a rabbit down a hole. I finally figured it out today. I put my Jeep on jack stands and put it in drive. Low and behold no squeaking. However, the driver side rear tire stopped spinning while the passenger side ran like a raped ape! And the dreaded grinding sound in the diff began. Oh, and did I mention the crazy wobble. Bent axle and God knows what else in the diff! But, gotta love the warranty!

So off to the dealership for repairs and to test my lifetime Powertrain warranty.

I am the reason they stopped offering this warranty! My boot has come off my front driveshaft and they have had to replace the whole driveshaft! They said they won't do it again, but I reminded them if they do it once under warranty, they married it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-15-2009, 01:19 PM
Rock God

Good luck to ya. Let's see how Chrysler honors this issue, or if they even stick to their "Lifetime Powertrain Warranty" I bet because you drove it, that voids the warranty, but thats just me.

08 Unlimited Steel Blue
All Sorts of Crap on it

In the space of about 30 seconds, this man was in a car accident, an explosion, lit aflame and then kicked in the balls with more force than a human foot can technically take.

Future terrorists take note: this is your retirement package.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-15-2009, 01:58 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCCotton View Post
And the dreaded grinding sound in the diff began. Oh, and did I mention the crazy wobble. Bent axle and God knows what else in the diff! But, gotta love the warranty!

So off to the dealership for repairs and to test my lifetime Powertrain warranty.

I am the reason they stopped offering this warranty! My boot has come off my front driveshaft and they have had to replace the whole driveshaft! They said they won't do it again, but I reminded them if they do it once under warranty, they married it.
Bent axle is not warranty.
As far as "married to it"
It was warranted as "Goodwill" they are not married to it.
If you get lucky and they are Jeep friendly they may be able to squeek the axle by.
You also hve to remember that the warranted part is subject to inspection by the manufacturer.
If it is deemed not defective or is caused by abuse they WILL charge the complete repair and possibly future repairs done by that dealership.
And set them up for a warranty audit.

'09 4dr Rubi Detonator Yellow
35x12.5x17 BFG KM2s they SUCK!
Rugged Ridge XHD bumper Warn 9.5ti
3.5 Mid arm Rock Krawler
Finally 5.13s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-15-2009, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by owtdorz View Post
Bent axle is not warranty.
As far as "married to it"
It was warranted as "Goodwill" they are not married to it.
If you get lucky and they are Jeep friendly they may be able to squeek the axle by.
You also hve to remember that the warranted part is subject to inspection by the manufacturer.
If it is deemed not defective or is caused by abuse they WILL charge the complete repair and possibly future repairs done by that dealership.
And set them up for a warranty audit.
From the Chrysler Warranty manual:

B. What’s Covered
The Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty covers the cost of all parts and labor needed to repair a powertrain component listed in section E below that is defective in workmanship and materials. (that is the part that is gray area for Jeeps as they are designed to be off-road vehicles and as such have to withstand doing the Rubicon standards) There is no coverage for towing in the event of disablement.

E. Parts Covered-
Four Wheel Drive (4X4): transfer case and all internal parts; transfer case control module and shift mode motor assembly; axle housing and all internal parts; axle shafts; axle shaft bearings; drive shafts assemblies (front and rear); drive shaft center bearings; universal joints and yokes; disconnect housing assembly; seals and gaskets for the listed components only.

As far as abuse goes...it is a Jeep and abuse would be real hard for Chrysler to prove. I know a little about this as I have turned a Jeep in under the Lemon Law due to warranty issues. Once lawyers get involved Chrysler caves pretty easy, trust me! And yes I would take Chrysler to court over warranty issues! They are just betting that everyone will give up the fight and bow down to them and pay for repairs. But hey, that is what keeps the aftermarket vendors alive!

And yes they are married to it because the paperwork says it was a defective boot!
Rant Over!

Last edited by SFCCotton; 12-15-2009 at 04:49 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-16-2009, 05:29 AM
Rock God

Garage

If you're bone stock, you might have a good shot. If you have larger tires on it, will probably get some friction.

2007 Redrock X two door
Auto
Hardtop
D44 rear
17" Moab wheels
32" BFG M/Ts
Rubicon Rock Rails
Airaid intake
Infinity speakers
post #6 of 6 Old 12-16-2009, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Warranty Work Complete

Victorville Motors did the warranty work.

Front driveshaft replaced = warranty/no charge
Rear axle replace = warranty/no charge
Metal dustcover and mounting bolts on rear driveshaft = no warranty (it was the rocks fault) $165

So out the door for all the work and serviced my rear end while they were in there = $165

My specs:
35x17x12.50 Tires
Raceline Beadlocks
ProComp 4" lift
Fox Shocks
Currie Trac bars

So maybe I am lucky or maybe I am smart (probably lucky, no definitely lucky), but I never seem to have a problem with warranty work since the last Jeep incident.

Now don't anyone tell the wife because I told her it was gonna cost $800 to repair so I am diverting the funds elsewhere.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode