Someone obviously wasn't thinking.... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 05-11-2008, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Angry Someone obviously wasn't thinking....

I have to wonder just what was going on at Chrysler when they decided on the jack that they put in the JK. What a piece of junk.

I decided yesterday to rotate the tires on the Jeep, why pay someone else to do it when I could do it myself, right? Right, sure I can, IF I CAN GET THE THING JACKED UP OFF THE GROUND

With that crappy little scissor jack? Only in your dreams. I know, I tried.

Now don't get me wrong, I've known that I would need to get a Highlift jack for use on the trail, but I figured that with 265/75R16s and NO LIFT I should be able to at least change the tire on the side of the road if need be, or rotate the tires even.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 05-11-2008, 01:59 PM
Rock God

I used it to install my 32s and had room left to spare. It's not the greatest jack in the world (by any stretch of the imagination) but it should work for those tires. Where did you have it located? It's suppossed to go under the axles.
post #3 of 29 Old 05-11-2008, 02:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

mine worked ok
not the best jack in the world, but should be adequate
if you put it under the axle you should reach just fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 05-11-2008, 02:29 PM
Wheeler

Pretty much all jacks that come with a car is worthless, its not just a Chrysler thing. But like the others said, it should be adequate for having no lift with those tires.
post #5 of 29 Old 05-12-2008, 02:10 PM
Rock God

I broke mine (dont ask how?) And im looking for some better quality than OEM. I guess they dont put as much effort on the support equipment. For a jeep i think it should have a recovery package included. It makes sense when you build a vehicle for extreme off roading or even moderate off roading. All i got is this for them

JKOutcast Member
post #6 of 29 Old 05-12-2008, 03:39 PM
Granite Guru

Jeep should through in one of these with the purchase of every Wrangler http://www.arbusa.com/exhaust_jacks.php

peter

post #7 of 29 Old 05-13-2008, 06:56 AM
Wheeler

The bottle jack that came with my '01 Dodge truck was actually a long-travel jack. It went up two or three times the height of the bottle itself. I should have kept that jack. It was very compact. I wonder if a junk yard would have one.
post #8 of 29 Old 05-13-2008, 07:45 PM

My son change the rear tire without any problem. 255/85/16 33's. I did by a Hi-Lift jack base.
to help when Off-road. I won't be buying a Hi-Lift Jack for my jeep. To heavy and to un-safe in my book.
I will get a ARB X-Jack, some day.
post #9 of 29 Old 05-14-2008, 02:12 AM Thread Starter

Placing it under the axle is something that I never thought of. My experience with scissor jacks has always been to place them at specific points under the pinch seam. I'll have to give that a try this weekend.

onlysuper: I agree totally, mine didn't even come with tow hooks, had to buy the front ones, and jerry-rig something for the rear.

mizedog: I used to have one of those bottle jacks too, time was you could pick them up at the auto parts store. Wish I still had mine.

Last edited by 1TallJKer; 05-14-2008 at 02:15 AM.
post #10 of 29 Old 05-14-2008, 06:45 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TallJKer View Post
Placing it under the axle is something that I never thought of. My experience with scissor jacks has always been to place them at specific points under the pinch seam. I'll have to give that a try this weekend.

onlysuper: I agree totally, mine didn't even come with tow hooks, had to buy the front ones, and jerry-rig something for the rear.

mizedog: I used to have one of those bottle jacks too, time was you could pick them up at the auto parts store. Wish I still had mine.
With the slot cut in the top of the jack, you would think that it's intended for the pinch seam..............I know I did. But not wanting to F_ _ _ up the paint I looked for other options. That and my wife suggested that I RTFM! What do you know, put it under the axle like the book said. So.............RTFM dude.

Last edited by skibum; 05-14-2008 at 06:49 AM.
post #11 of 29 Old 05-24-2008, 01:50 AM
Granite Guru

One of these would make jacking a little less labor intensive, as well as add height if you are lifted. Or you could use a block of wood....

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92200_700_07.htm

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer - Frank Zappa

post #12 of 29 Old 05-24-2008, 06:45 AM

That ARB jack base is a nice piece, but in no way is it worth $50.00....$20.00 at most.
post #13 of 29 Old 05-24-2008, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum View Post

With the slot cut in the top of the jack, you would think that it's intended for the pinch seam..............I know I did. But not wanting to F_ _ _ up the paint I looked for other options. That and my wife suggested that I RTFM! What do you know, put it under the axle like the book said. So.............RTFM dude.
Yeah, yeah, I know Just trying to be smarter than the engineers I guess.

Well the tires are now rotated, still going to get a High-lift though. Far too many uses for those things to not have one. I know some feel they're unsafe, but anytime you lift one or more tires off the ground you're in danger Of course when you lift two tires off the ground and they're on the same side of the vehicle.........

Well you're either 1. In a situation you should've thought hard about in the first place, 2. Insane, or 3. Having waaaaaaaaay too much fun
post #14 of 29 Old 05-26-2008, 09:03 PM
Rock God

I believe 2000 tacoma had the bottlejack if you can find in a junk yard or a 98 4-runner. I had both vehicles and they both came with bottle jacks that went pretty high.
post #15 of 29 Old 06-01-2008, 09:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

mine worked awesome.....to change the tire on my pop up camper

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #16 of 29 Old 06-01-2008, 09:56 PM
Wheeler

Mine died after a short life.

My Jeep is a lot like a supermodel with some scars.

From far away it looks good.

Up close you can see its imperfections but it still has a hot figure.
post #17 of 29 Old 06-02-2008, 10:33 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TallJKer View Post
I have to wonder just what was going on at Chrysler when they decided on the jack that they put in the JK. What a piece of junk.

I decided yesterday to rotate the tires on the Jeep, why pay someone else to do it when I could do it myself, right? Right, sure I can, IF I CAN GET THE THING JACKED UP OFF THE GROUND

With that crappy little scissor jack? Only in your dreams. I know, I tried.

Now don't get me wrong, I've known that I would need to get a Highlift jack for use on the trail, but I figured that with 265/75R16s and NO LIFT I should be able to at least change the tire on the side of the road if need be, or rotate the tires even.
Are you planning on getting an after market bumper? Because stock JK's really don't have any safe place to jack your jeep up.
post #18 of 29 Old 06-02-2008, 03:40 PM
Rock God

i have the AEV Jack Base and it works prefectly for me

plenty of room to jack up with 35's
post #19 of 29 Old 06-02-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKmike07 View Post

WOW My wife has that same Bikini...
post #20 of 29 Old 06-02-2008, 08:01 PM
Alec W

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStalker View Post
WOW My wife has that same Bikini...
I had no interest in this thread until now. Post pics of wife in bikini to save it
post #21 of 29 Old 06-02-2008, 08:49 PM

what bikini...who's wife...............???????????????
post #22 of 29 Old 06-03-2008, 09:12 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:

Ummm.....I'm not sure if you know this or not, but your jack is...broken.

First, there's Jeep....
...Then there are the rest.
Oh and....
Rupedog For President

'87 XJ :: Revolver Lift Shackles :: 4.10's :: 4.5-5" lift :: 31" KM2's :: Flowmaster Super 44 :: Stock Stubby Bumper :: Fox 2.0 Remote Res.

'94 Ram 2500 :: 6" lift :: 4.10's :: 35" Duratrac's
post #23 of 29 Old 07-12-2008, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCA jeeper View Post
Ummm.....I'm not sure if you know this or not, but your jack is...broken.
What are you talking about..that Jack is perfectly fine........if you are changing your tire on a hill
post #24 of 29 Old 10-27-2008, 09:39 PM
Wheeler

IF you can find a Land Rover/Range Rover at a junk yard, take the bottle jack. They are GREAT.

On the other hand, why in the world would you rotate the tires with that tiny jack anyway? Use a floor jack, roll it under the front, pump pump pump, jack stands, and off to the back and repeat.

'08 JK, 35's, 5.13's, and a Detroit.
post #25 of 29 Old 12-22-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:

I bent the screw drive on mine jacking it up at the front TC. I used it to get off a mound of ice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode