Craigslist responders....even Jeep guys - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 05-09-2014, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Craigslist responders....even Jeep guys

Damn craigslisters.

I have a pile of Jeep chit for sale, some has already been sold. But some of these fawkers.....when I list things on CL, I don't believe my shit is made of gold and worth 95% of the new price, like most of the people out there. I price it very reasonably to begin with. Brand new shit, usually 20% less than new. Hardly used shit, 30% less. Goes down from there. In other words I price shit more than fairly right out of the gate. Anyone can see that.

Then these fuckers, Jeep guys at that which are generally good people, pull the 'you are asking 700, I'll give you 400 CASH and pick it up tomorrow' shit all the time. Really? How else are you gonna pay me, dickwad? Traveler's checks? Do you think I'm desperate for money? If I needed the money for crack, wouldn't I price it really high to begin with? Should I feel blessed that you're so generous to have come up with that offer for me?

I've got no problem with haggling, it part of trading. But damn, once in a while it would be nice to have someone say 'Your price is fair, so I'm not even going to try to beat you up on it'. In hundreds of sales, I think I have had that happen maybe twice. Think I'll just start ignoring these assholes or send them a canned response about coming up with a reasonable offer...

</RantOff>

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-09-2014, 08:46 AM
Rock God

I love CL but you are right. Seems most of these assholes would be happier paying $70 something that was listed for $100 than paying $50 for the same thing that was listed at $50.

Sometimes I'll list two prices, one buy now price and another higher price for those who want to haggle.

Had a guy text some a lowball price, (cash, of course) I replied back, "That sounds great. I'll meet you tomorrow at the Magic Kingdom!

But my favorite comeback to the "cash-guy" was one of the owners of the motorcycle shop I worked at. As soon as the guys throw out the "I have cash" BS, he would always come back, "Do you think you could get financed? Cash is such a pain. I have to count it, worry about forgery, and then send someone to deposit it." ...was always funny watching the reactions.

2007 Rubi Unlimited. Teraflex 2.5 lift + Fox shocks, Nitto Trail Grappler 35s on XD Addicts, 5.38s, Ten Factory rear shafts, Riddler diff covers, Purejeep front axle truss and Teraflex gussets, Tatton front driveline, Rugged Ridge Modular front bumper with XRC8 Comp winch, Superchips programmer, Volant intake, MBRP exhaust, Hella H4 headlight conversion, Body Armor "not so Extreme" Rock Rails, in-cab winch control,Best Top Trek Top.-Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-09-2014, 08:53 AM
JKO Addict!

Everything I put up for sale on CL has some sort of a buffer on it. $110obo and I would really take $80 or so for it...something like that.

I personally will make an offer on pretty much anything unless I think it's too cheap and I better go get it before someone else does. I don't get too annoyed with low ballers because I've been one to say "what's the worst he can say, no?" a few times before.

You never know what someone will take on something or how desperate they are, it's in the buyers best interest to assume the seller wants it gone and to make an offer. I don't see a big harm in it, if you put "FIRM" after your price, you may get a lot less low-ball response and then you can get more annoyed IMO. But just a price and an OBO?...expect offers.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-09-2014, 08:55 AM
Rock God

my rule for craigslist is to always sell in multiples of 20. i never carry cash, and whenever i sell something for 30 bucks the asshole always shows up with 2 20s "oh you dont have change? how bout 20 for it" fuckers!
post #5 of 14 Old 05-09-2014, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

I certainly see the side of listing it above where you'd actually sell it in expectation of being haggled down, but the very reason I list the prices where I do is so that it will sell quickly and I can get it out of my garage. I hate prolonging this stuff, I want to be done with selling it and move on. And yeah, the 'do you have change' thing irritates the shit out of me also. Stop by the gas station or bank on the way over, skippy.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #6 of 14 Old 05-09-2014, 11:44 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADGER View Post
Damn craigslisters.

I have a pile of Jeep chit for sale, some has already been sold. But some of these fawkers.....when I list things on CL, I don't believe my shit is made of gold and worth 95% of the new price, like most of the people out there. I price it very reasonably to begin with. Brand new shit, usually 20% less than new. Hardly used shit, 30% less. Goes down from there. In other words I price shit more than fairly right out of the gate. Anyone can see that.

Then these fuckers, Jeep guys at that which are generally good people, pull the 'you are asking 700, I'll give you 400 CASH and pick it up tomorrow' shit all the time. Really? How else are you gonna pay me, dickwad? Traveler's checks? Do you think I'm desperate for money? If I needed the money for crack, wouldn't I price it really high to begin with? Should I feel blessed that you're so generous to have come up with that offer for me?

I've got no problem with haggling, it part of trading. But damn, once in a while it would be nice to have someone say 'Your price is fair, so I'm not even going to try to beat you up on it'. In hundreds of sales, I think I have had that happen maybe twice. Think I'll just start ignoring these assholes or send them a canned response about coming up with a reasonable offer...

</RantOff>
I have the same thoughts about craigslist which is why I always list my stuff on ebay. I have had really good luck getting good money for car and Jeep parts on there.
post #7 of 14 Old 05-09-2014, 02:04 PM
Granite Guru

I tell people the price is what it is... don't like kick rocks. I am not going to haggle or anything.

I was selling laptops for a while on CL. reasonably priced ones at that. They weren't brand new or anything. But were intel core2duo models or newer, dvd drives and all. I bought a surplus of business laptops from a company that was closing up. I went through them all, cleaned took apart and cleaned, replaced broken items (keyboards if they were bad) made sure they had working wifi and a fresh install of windows. I was asking 120 each and posted I would add in fresh copies of office if they wanted or would change parts if they wanted something specific. So some guy says he wants one with just windows on it and stops by. I let him know here it is tell him the battery is charged, show him the charger tell him he can try it out and that the wi-fi is connected. He starts looking at it and says well the hard drive is kind of small, I let him know that they are all smaller because they were business laptops (think they ranged from 80 to 160 gb). I let him know that they work great and smaller isn't that big of a deal because they are easy to change and cheap. He says well I know you are looking for 120 but how about if I offer 60 because of the size of the harddrive. I told him the price is what it is and told him if you want something cheap there is a pawn shop about a mile up the street they have some old used stuff there and will work with you on the price range you are looking for.

I tell everyone that. Price is what it is, if you want to haggle go buy some crap from someone else.
post #8 of 14 Old 05-10-2014, 02:53 PM
Wheeler

When they haggle you can always go up on the price. You list $100... They offer $60... You counter with $150. That usually gets em scratching.
post #9 of 14 Old 05-12-2014, 11:56 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

shit at least you guys are geting cash offers, i get the people who want to trade me some goats and hay bales for my snowmobile.

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #10 of 14 Old 05-13-2014, 09:17 PM
Rock God

Garage

And because I need neither goats nor snowmobiles, I still have a 3.8, avenger s/c and a 42rle for sale via word of mouth. Craigslist is for those more patient than I.
post #11 of 14 Old 05-14-2014, 12:46 AM
Granite Guru

Want 4 goats an 5 bales of hay for the 3.8?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #12 of 14 Old 05-14-2014, 08:17 PM
Granite Guru

So true...but when the economy took a crap you could pick up killer stuff on craigslist for pennies on the dollar.

07 JKU, 14 bolt rear/ Teraflex 60 front, Tera Long Arm, King Coilovers, 40" MT/R-Ks, Antirock etc. 430HP LS3 engine swap. Cage and 14 bolt swap thread-

post #13 of 14 Old 06-25-2014, 07:37 PM
Wheeler

These responses are spot on.. Because of the 'dance' I know that will take place on the price tag, I have recently just added a 20 or 40 to my selling price just because I know people will try to kick me. It's part of the game I know, but it drives me nuts when I use to put a great price and people still want it for FREE!!!

Onward!
post #14 of 14 Old 07-10-2014, 04:07 PM
Rock God

i agree with this but at the same time, why is it such a big deal? no need to get heated over it. what pisses me off is when people make a deal with you and the day you are supposed to meet, they back out. Or when you have the nicer model, they offer you less than the price of the shitty model. Either way, it depends on the deal. Some times i just pay it forward and help people out. Not every one is rich and has the full amount. If i wanted to pay retail, id go pay the extra %20 and buy it new. man, i bet ebay pisses you right the *uck off with all the low bids.... But i get your tickled pink when you get some thing for half of what its going for..... look at both sides of it, no need to get upset about it.

Rescue Green 2008 Sahara Unlimited; RK 3.5 max travel; 37" Toyo Mt; PSC Brawler lite front bumper; PSC rock brawler rear w/ tire carrier; OR-Fab rock guards; Aev hood

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode