damn factory clutch (manual) - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 Old 11-10-2009, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to .:eMETAL:. Send a message via Yahoo to .:eMETAL:.
damn factory clutch (manual)

Well just got back from my service for the Jeep.

The throwout bearing is gone again and also the clutch plate. Can't cover it under warranty this time because nothing else to fault. I've had this done 2 times already... 1st time under warranty and second time was covered under warranty due to the clutch slave cylinder.

I'm not pissed at the dealer as they are wicked cool to me... said if they could have faulted something else they could have it covered. Well then he told me how much it would be.... $1035. Recommended that I look into aftermarket now... as this what I was already thinking of anyway.

Got in touch with Spec... and what a speedy reply back!!! Will get a hold of my shop tomorrow to figure out install cost and then go ahead and order the spec clutch.

Also will be picking up some EBC greenstuff brake pads as I had my dealership inspect my pads too while I was there and they reported my rears being paper thin... and that it would be $225 to have them do it... then he recommended aftermarket again. Well since I will be putting on body armor here in the near future I want stronger stopping force due to the added weight as I would just tear through the stocks again quite quickly I'm sure.

So looks like the Beast is going to get some goodies. New this time was coming, but was just letting the warranty work go through first.

CHEAP A$$ CHRYSLER PARTS!!! I am really pissed at their manuals... I've never had so many problems with a manual transmission before! Hopefully FIAT fixes this!

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 11-10-2009, 03:29 PM
Rock God

Automatics rule!
post #3 of 50 Old 11-10-2009, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3itch View Post
Automatics rule!
you can keep your overheating automatics i'll keep my ticking manual

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 Old 11-10-2009, 03:31 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:eMETAL:. View Post
you can keep your overheating automatics i'll keep my ticking manual
Yeah.. forgot about that
post #5 of 50 Old 11-10-2009, 03:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

yikes. my clutch has been truckin along. how many miles do you have on your rig?

$1035!?!?!

ive run spec clutches before and love them. how much do they run for the jeep?
post #6 of 50 Old 11-10-2009, 03:42 PM
JKO Addict!

I just had the throwout replaced in mine. When I got it back, it is now making a ticking noise. I don't have the option of being without my vehicle for another 2 weeks though so I've just run it. I may check into it sometime.

I'm confused though. How is it they are not replacing it because they can't fault anything else? If the bearing goes bad, it goes bad. It doesn't need something else to cause it. Mine went bad on it's own.
post #7 of 50 Old 11-10-2009, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
I'm confused though. How is it they are not replacing it because they can't fault anything else? If the bearing goes bad, it goes bad. It doesn't need something else to cause it. Mine went bad on it's own.
X2- Especially since there is a TSB on the throwout bearing. Not sure why it wouldn't be covered. Besides that- it seems like they would cover it since they already replaced it and it could be something that they did wrong last time they were in there.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #8 of 50 Old 11-10-2009, 03:59 PM
Openly Hostile

Maybe you should learn how to drive a manual transmission and you'll stop burning up clutches. Just a thought.

Jason
post #9 of 50 Old 11-10-2009, 04:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMF View Post
Maybe you should learn how to drive a manual transmission and you'll stop burning up clutches. Just a thought.
i love holding the gas on the floor prior to releasing the clutch!
post #10 of 50 Old 11-10-2009, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyfl View Post
yikes. my clutch has been truckin along. how many miles do you have on your rig?

$1035!?!?!

ive run spec clutches before and love them. how much do they run for the jeep?
about to roll 25k.
Spec complete kit for the stage 3+ (what was recommended) retails for $589

Quote:

I've run plenty of manuals in the past and never changed anything out.

As far as them covering it I'm a little questionable too simce it's the 3rd time but I think it's time I just get a better made part in there and not have to bother with it anymore.

Last edited by .:eMETAL:.; 11-10-2009 at 04:28 PM.
post #11 of 50 Old 11-10-2009, 04:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

No reason to pay a dealer to change brake pads. One of the easiest self-maintenance things you can do.

A clutch isn't really that hard either. Done plenty of them.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #12 of 50 Old 11-10-2009, 04:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

wait a minute arent the parts they replaced already covered for 12K miles?

and $60 fixes the worry about overheating auto and it shifts in deep water and mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #13 of 50 Old 11-10-2009, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
No reason to pay a dealer to change brake pads. One of the easiest self-maintenance things you can do.

A clutch isn't really that hard either. Done plenty of them.
Oh I had no intentions of letting them do the pads unless it was for free. LOL!

I don't have the place to do the clutch myself so a shop it must be. No biggie.

post #14 of 50 Old 11-10-2009, 05:08 PM
Openly Hostile

Quote:
I've run plenty of manuals in the past and never changed anything out.
I couldn't resist.

I would work them on that clutch. If they replaced it they shoudl be covering it again.

Jason
post #15 of 50 Old 11-10-2009, 06:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac

i went through the same thing with my clutch twice before, both times under the TSB. lately (few months or so) i have been getting the ticking and squealing again. i was told i MAY not be covered under warranty or TSB anymore. i was also referred to an aftermarket clutch, however the clutch isnt the issue... the throw out bearing is. it also seems that the aftermarket TOBs arent available. the Spec and Centerforce manufacturers are selling OEM TOBs with the kits.

lately, my transmission has began to make a new noise... similar to a pot of boiling water, that HISS sound. i am going to a dealership on friday. my mechanic (not a chrysler guy) believes its the pilot bushing. i am hopeful it is, as that will be covered under the powertrain warranty. if its the clutch assembly itself.... screw off, ill be getting that done by my mechanic....

good luck eric, let me know how it works out for you

post #16 of 50 Old 11-10-2009, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
I couldn't resist.

I would work them on that clutch. If they replaced it they shoudl be covering it again.
i'm pretty much done with the craptastic OEM stuff... time for something stronger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramaniac View Post
i went through the same thing with my clutch twice before, both times under the TSB. lately (few months or so) i have been getting the ticking and squealing again. i was told i MAY not be covered under warranty or TSB anymore. i was also referred to an aftermarket clutch, however the clutch isnt the issue... the throw out bearing is. it also seems that the aftermarket TOBs arent available. the Spec and Centerforce manufacturers are selling OEM TOBs with the kits.

lately, my transmission has began to make a new noise... similar to a pot of boiling water, that HISS sound. i am going to a dealership on friday. my mechanic (not a chrysler guy) believes its the pilot bushing. i am hopeful it is, as that will be covered under the powertrain warranty. if its the clutch assembly itself.... screw off, ill be getting that done by my mechanic....

good luck eric, let me know how it works out for you
didn't know this... will definitely be inquiring about this when i make my purchase. but so far looks like the Spec stage 3+ is what i'm going with... i've had friends use these clutches in their drift cars and other sport rides and loved them. now just to find out how much it's gonna be to install it.

post #17 of 50 Old 11-10-2009, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Garage

The Spec 3+ feels NOTHING like the factory clutch. It will feel like a completely different vehicle and requires a bit of a learning curve to get used to it. but once you are comfortable with it you will love it.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #18 of 50 Old 11-10-2009, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
The Spec 3+ feels NOTHING like the factory clutch. It will feel like a completely different vehicle and requires a bit of a learning curve to get used to it. but once you are comfortable with it you will love it.
that's what i'm hoping for! LOL! thanks man.
do you remember how much it was to get it installed by Ricardo? i know you have perks with them with them being your shop and all but any idea? shoot me a pm if you don't want to throw it out here.

post #19 of 50 Old 11-10-2009, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
that's what i'm hoping for! LOL! thanks man.
do you remember how much it was to get it installed by Ricardo? i know you have perks with them with them being your shop and all but any idea? shoot me a pm if you don't want to throw it out here.
I have no idea. I really wouldn't be able to break the cost out of all the other shat I had done at the same time.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #20 of 50 Old 11-10-2009, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
I have no idea. I really wouldn't be able to break the cost out of all the other shat I had done at the same time.
oh yeah.. that's true... you were having the currie put in at that time too and the 40s.

eh... just trying to speed up a bullet... i'll get the low down from my guys in the am.

post #21 of 50 Old 11-10-2009, 08:47 PM
Wheeler

The dealership replaced my TO bearing under the TSB when it was "squealing". It was more like a buzzing sound when shifting at higher RPMs. The sound came back shortly after. I finally climbed under there and found the hydraulic line was touching the heat shield between the exhaust and the driver side firewall. I bent it back and the sound disappeared. Just an item to check...
post #22 of 50 Old 11-10-2009, 08:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpnt View Post
The dealership replaced my TO bearing under the TSB when it was "squealing". It was more like a buzzing sound when shifting at higher RPMs. The sound came back shortly after. I finally climbed under there and found the hydraulic line was touching the heat shield between the exhaust and the driver side firewall. I bent it back and the sound disappeared. Just an item to check...
been there... done that. my trans noises have graduated

good looking out though!

post #23 of 50 Old 11-10-2009, 09:57 PM
ADDICTION II build begins....

have the same issue...24,000 miles and had the squealing, which is less now but still there. Now I have more of a winding sound along with the squeal. Need to get it into the shop but have a run this weekend. UGH

U.S. Army
post #24 of 50 Old 11-17-2009, 06:20 AM
Rock God

I've been having issues with the tranny myself. The damn thing *POP's* out of 1st gear halfway into an intersection at random. It will go a month and not do it but at other times it will do it twice in a day. WTF??? I've been looking at the Hemi builders to see if they have a cheap 6spd hanging around for a spare.

I can't wait to hear your opinion on your new clutch .:e:.

Buy *made in
. . .. While you still can.

Last edited by bOLsAK3; 11-17-2009 at 06:24 AM.
post #25 of 50 Old 11-17-2009, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bOLsAK3 View Post
I've been having issues with the tranny myself. The damn thing *POP's* out of 1st gear halfway into an intersection at random. It will go a month and not do it but at other times it will do it twice in a day. WTF??? I've been looking at the Hemi builders to see if they have a cheap 6spd hanging around for a spare.

I can't wait to hear your opinion on your new clutch .:e:.
refresh my memory man... are you running a body lift at all?
i know the 1st gear popping out is something that the guys in colder climates experience because of the boot being stiff but when it warms up they don't experience it as much.

just thinking because a body lift is such a ***** on the manuals that it could have something to do with it. hmmmmm

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode