Ugly bumpers... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old 04-27-2008, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Ugly bumpers...

I HATE JK bumpers. Jeep should have stuck with TJ bumpers. I know it's a common swap for a lot of people but I'm too broke for that, I just HAD to drop the money on a Rubi (good move though God bless stock 44's and full lock up). So as soon as I get some time, I'm hacking the crap out of my front bumper till I get some cash for a wench and bumper. MAN I HATE THESE BUMPERS!
Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 04-27-2008, 11:32 PM
Rock God

I feel your pain man.... I spent my first wad on the bumper... I hated it too

Lifted by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, JKS DC's, Skid Row Protected,
ProComp 7105, Kevlar MTR's,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Switchblade rear, Red Rock Fab stinger etc...

post #3 of 42 Old 04-28-2008, 01:18 AM
Granite Guru

In two hours you can transform your factory front bumper into these (required a little bit of fab/welding with some 1/8 sheet stock). Throw out the plastic housing and play with it. Alec and I did.

Since then we've made winch bumpers so that one is sitting in my scrap pile.

Check it out:

The Goods:
2008 4dr Rubi w/Dual tops, 5.13 Superior Gears, 3" FT Ultimate Lift Kit with extra 1" rear spacers, Riddler F&R Diff covers, 1" Rear Teraflex Spacers, 35" BFG KM2s, Kilby Evap relocation kit, Cooltech/Magnaflow Exhaust Kit, Home grown Front Winch Bumper, Warn 9.5ti, Shrockworks Rear Bumper, Home grown tire carrier, PSC Tube Fenders (on order).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 Old 04-28-2008, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

That is the plan right there! Perfect! My only real problem is lack of space to work, and cutting tools on hand. I have a buddy that has a nice place to work but it is full of his monster XJ right now. With some luck it is ready to wheel and out of the garage this week.
post #5 of 42 Old 04-28-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie h View Post
That is the plan right there! Perfect! My only real problem is lack of space to work, and cutting tools on hand. I have a buddy that has a nice place to work but it is full of his monster XJ right now. With some luck it is ready to wheel and out of the garage this week.
In a matter of 10 minutes you can remove the plastic bumper cover. No need to do any cutting right away, butthere are two "soup cans" on the bumper frame you will want to grind off. That will do you until you are ready to hack it up more. I just left mine as is until I picked up a new front bumper.

Here's a pic of the stock frame, untouched, except for removal of the "soup cans".

Or you could buy (or make) one of these!
post #6 of 42 Old 05-03-2008, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I'm going to work on my bumper today, but after the plastic is off I'm not sure what to do with what is left.
post #7 of 42 Old 05-04-2008, 07:39 AM

you think yours are ugly have a look at the plastic park bench they put on the Australian ones so they meet our design rules
Attached Images

post #8 of 42 Old 05-04-2008, 08:18 AM
Granite Guru

Yikes. Are those mud flaps required equipment too?
post #9 of 42 Old 05-04-2008, 10:46 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny View Post
you think yours are ugly have a look at the plastic park bench they put on the Australian ones so they meet our design rules
Looks like with a little careful use of the old sawzall you could at least get rid of that filler piece between the actual bumper and the flenders.
post #10 of 42 Old 05-05-2008, 01:09 AM
Wheeler

Or leave the plastic on and cut it down...3 minutes and a sawsall
post #11 of 42 Old 05-05-2008, 07:19 AM

dont worry mine didnt stay like that for long but i am one of the few that has done anything

with the stock tyres still on

post #12 of 42 Old 05-05-2008, 09:57 AM
Rock God

[QUOTE=tiny;17047]you think yours are ugly have a look at the plastic park bench they put on the Australian ones so they meet our design rules[/QUOTE

First thing you need to do is put your steering wheel back in the correct location.

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #13 of 42 Old 05-06-2008, 07:32 AM

[QUOTE=dougnpj;17128]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny View Post
you think yours are ugly have a look at the plastic park bench they put on the Australian ones so they meet our design rules[/QUOTE

First thing you need to do is put your steering wheel back in the correct location.
ours are on the right side
post #14 of 42 Old 05-06-2008, 09:20 AM
Rock God

[QUOTE=tiny;17202]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougnpj View Post

ours are on the right side
Yes, but just because they are on the "right" side doesn't mean they are on the "correct" side. We went to Bermuda once, and they also drive backwards. Unfortunately the only way to get around on that island is by scooter. I'm very lucky I survived it.
post #15 of 42 Old 05-15-2008, 07:19 PM

I like th JK bumper...esthetically correct...material...incorrect...I would like them in steel.
post #16 of 42 Old 05-15-2008, 09:15 PM
Granite Guru

Tiny, what you got behind your grill? Is that home made or did you buy it. The color reminds me of a heater filter! I like it!

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer - Frank Zappa

post #17 of 42 Old 08-22-2008, 08:24 AM
Rock God

Garage
Factory Off Road Bumper

We just ordered ours with the factory off road bumper and winch. That way the winch is covered under the 7 year 100,000 mile warranty.

Last edited by jacktuttle; 09-11-2009 at 07:41 AM.
post #18 of 42 Old 08-22-2008, 10:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktuttle View Post
We just ordered ours with the factory off road bumper and winch. That way the winch is covered under the 7 year 100,000 mile warranty.
smart move on the warranty!
post #19 of 42 Old 09-13-2008, 07:54 PM

yeah i think the mopar bumper is what im gonna do too if woods doesnt get his ass in gear!
post #20 of 42 Old 11-12-2008, 03:23 PM
Granite Guru

Hey Justajeep, I kind of like what you have done with the stock bumper. What do the ends look like I crushed the end of my factory last weekend and was looking at buying a custom bumper but wouldn’t mind running one like that until the funds come available.

American, Gun owning, God fear'n, Veteran, and I'm offended that you're offended.
post #21 of 42 Old 11-13-2008, 12:50 PM

Speaking of the MOPAR bumper, where is that offroad bumper with the fog lamp holes?????
post #22 of 42 Old 11-13-2008, 09:58 PM
Granite Guru

Good questions Dusty. I was just going to cut the wires and use them to wire in the future KC lights?

American, Gun owning, God fear'n, Veteran, and I'm offended that you're offended.
post #23 of 42 Old 11-18-2008, 04:05 PM
Rock God

Garage
Post fog lamp holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustoff '68 View Post
Speaking of the MOPAR bumper, where is that offroad bumper with the fog lamp holes?????
The Steel Mopar bumper uses different fog lamps. But they do tie into the factory fog lamp wiring. Installation time for the from lamps about 5 minutes with only one wrench and a coupe of zip ties needed.

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #24 of 42 Old 12-01-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justajeep View Post
Or leave the plastic on and cut it down...3 minutes and a sawsall
Do you have a side on pic showing how the ends look cut off like that? I'm guessing you've just got a plastic edge showing - unless you capped it somehow?
post #25 of 42 Old 12-01-2008, 12:47 PM
Rock God

Garage

I've gone through two stock bumpers. The first I spent hours measuring, cutting and plastic welding nicely folded caps. The second, I spend 5 min with the sawzall.

If I had to do it again, I would go the sawzall way and just cut the wings off. Nice vertical cut looks good.

- Ruskin
2.5"Tera, 34"Maxxis, Front Stubby, Cobra75, Flapless Seatbelts & Grounded Floormats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode