Rubicon Express Rant - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 10-28-2009, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Angry Rubicon Express Rant

I am really starting to hate Rubicon Express suspensions........ Why do they have to make it so complicated to get one bolt out? Just to replace a upper control arm bushing (rear axle), not only do I need to take the control arm off but I have to take other parts off just to get one of the 2 bolts out! UUUGGGHHHHH. The bump stop plate on the axle is a piss poor design I had to grind part of it off because the bolt that holds the track bar to the frame hit it now I have to take the plate off just to get the control arm bolt out.
I think RE should pay to have a shop replace these for people and God forbid If this shipment of bushings doesn't hold up! I could go on about other issues with it but this is crazy.
Every time I had to work on a TJ it was sooooo much easier and RE worked well, now on the JK? WTF?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 10-29-2009, 09:13 AM
Wheeler

Had the same problem as you, but in the end it ended up being just a minor detail. I agree this could be better, but the JK rear design does not allow a lot of room for the rear drop bracket. The alternative is a bracket on the axle, but that has cons as well.

2008 Rubicon 2 door 6.5" lift, 37" Swampers, RR narrow tube fenders, reinforced axles, long travel shocks, Rubicrawler 10.88:1, Allied Rockathon Beadlocks, AEV snorkel, Warn winch, purejeep rocker guard, stubby tire carrier, plus a ton of other mods.
post #3 of 19 Old 08-26-2010, 09:05 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post

I am really starting to hate Rubicon Express suspensions........ Why do they have to make it so complicated to get one bolt out? Just to replace a upper control arm bushing (rear axle), not only do I need to take the control arm off but I have to take other parts off just to get one of the 2 bolts out! UUUGGGHHHHH. The bump stop plate on the axle is a piss poor design I had to grind part of it off because the bolt that holds the track bar to the frame hit it now I have to take the plate off just to get the control arm bolt out.
I think RE should pay to have a shop replace these for people and God forbid If this shipment of bushings doesn't hold up! I could go on about other issues with it but this is crazy.
Every time I had to work on a TJ it was sooooo much easier and RE worked well, now on the JK? WTF?

Minor details. I've had my RE 4.5 RLA for 3 years and have not found a reason to change.The only major problem has been with the bushings. I'm told that has been delt with as the previous manufacturer was cutting cost by using cheap additives to the compound. Other than that , I have the rubbing issue at the right rear bumpstop, because the axle is rolled back for correct pinion angle. These are kits not custom applications. I'd like to know of a kit that doesn't have some issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 08-26-2010, 09:49 AM
Wheeler

Quote:

What system do you have? Is it the long arm kit or short arm?

Last edited by B.O.R.D.; 08-26-2010 at 10:36 AM.
post #5 of 19 Old 08-26-2010, 12:05 PM

servicing...

We wish we could make servicing an easier task; the JK is a very different vehicle than the Wranglers of the past years. Nearly every piece of the JK has been engineered around the ESP system and the spaces available to create a replacement suspension system are minimal, creating difficulties when trying to reach or remove bolts, control arms, etc… Pulling the extra 2 bolts off to remove the bump stop pad is more work than what you would have had to do on Wranglers of the past, but most would agree the refinements of the JK are well worth the extra effort.
The new bushings you are putting in are the highest quality bushings and the very best we have ever offered; you will not have to be doing this service again for a very long time. Thanks go out to all that have replied to “peanut” offering advice before we had a chance to jump in.

RE-
post #6 of 19 Old 08-26-2010, 12:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon Express View Post
We wish we could make servicing an easier task; the JK is a very different vehicle than the Wranglers of the past years. Nearly every piece of the JK has been engineered around the ESP system and the spaces available to create a replacement suspension system are minimal, creating difficulties when trying to reach or remove bolts, control arms, etc… Pulling the extra 2 bolts off to remove the bump stop pad is more work than what you would have had to do on Wranglers of the past, but most would agree the refinements of the JK are well worth the extra effort.
The new bushings you are putting in are the highest quality bushings and the very best we have ever offered; you will not have to be doing this service again for a very long time. Thanks go out to all that have replied to “peanut” offering advice before we had a chance to jump in.

RE-

I had a RE 4.5" Lift on my TJ, and loved it. So, I am not bashing RE at all.

But: "Thanks go out to all that have replied to “peanut” offering advice before we had a chance to jump in." ........... you do realize that "peanut" posted this almost a full year ago. That response doesn't really fit this situation. Or help your cause.

Anthony
post #7 of 19 Old 08-26-2010, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

I had a ton of problems with the RE lift on the JK. I had no problems with the 2 long arms lifts I had on previous TJ's. I traded out of the 2 door and now have a stock 4 door and I am looking for a lift. RE use to have a great product... RE is not on the list for the 4 door...
post #8 of 19 Old 08-26-2010, 01:32 PM

Rubicon Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty5vdub View Post
I had a RE 4.5" Lift on my TJ, and loved it. So, I am not bashing RE at all.

But: "Thanks go out to all that have replied to “peanut” offering advice before we had a chance to jump in." ........... you do realize that "peanut" posted this almost a full year ago. That response doesn't really fit this situation. Or help your cause.

Anthony
The thread popped back up to the top and it was never really answered officially. Rubicon Express is going to be more active on this forum and an "old" unanswered question is just as important to reply to as a "new" question.

Last edited by Rubicon Express; 08-26-2010 at 01:37 PM.
post #9 of 19 Old 08-26-2010, 01:39 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Marcy

I recently had a minor issue with mine, not a big deal at all. But I called Scott and he sent the replacement part out that same day and it was here the next morning! He was very friendly and helpful!!
post #10 of 19 Old 08-26-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
I had a ton of problems with the RE lift on the JK. I had no problems with the 2 long arms lifts I had on previous TJ's. I traded out of the 2 door and now have a stock 4 door and I am looking for a lift. RE use to have a great product... RE is not on the list for the 4 door...

Peanut, sorry to hear that you had issues with your JK and the RE product you had. I assure you that Rubicon Express products have been and always strive to be top notch, it is understandable that if you had a bad experience previously that you would shy away. Good luck on your build up.
post #11 of 19 Old 08-26-2010, 01:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
The thread popped back up to the top and it was never really answered officially. Rubicon Express is going to be more active on this forum and an "old" unanswered question is just as important to reply to as a "new" question.
Fair enough.

Anthony
post #12 of 19 Old 08-26-2010, 06:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Peanut, sorry to hear that you had issues with your JK and the RE product you had. I assure you that Rubicon Express products have been and always strive to be top notch, it is understandable that if you had a bad experience previously that you would shy away. Good luck on your build up.
Where the hell have you guys been????? About time you join the party!
post #13 of 19 Old 08-27-2010, 05:38 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Rubicon Express is going to be more active on this forum and an "old" unanswered question is just as important to reply to as a "new" question.
Then you should buy a YELLOW STAR shouldn't you

07 Rubi rescue Green
"The previous explanation is based on my historically bad memory of a conglomeration of past experiences and conversations. The opinions above probably have some kernel of truth to them but the details are most likely flawed on some level. Please acquire further help from experts before listening to anything I say."
post #14 of 19 Old 08-27-2010, 02:12 PM
Rock God

Garage

Bout time they start voicing something cause with the JK there rep has gone in the toilet. This is a company at one point had MOPAR warrantied their parts. I know there a good company but they left the door open for other companies to raise the bar, now they're playing catch up.
post #15 of 19 Old 09-22-2010, 06:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obstruction of Justice View Post
Bout time they start voicing something cause with the JK there rep has gone in the toilet. This is a company at one point had MOPAR warrantied their parts. I know there a good company but they left the door open for other companies to raise the bar, now they're playing catch up.
Honestly, their hasn't been many others that have had tough words about RE but after a year plus later I had some great words with Scott Becker and it has renewed some faith that the company is turning around and catching up to the other companies that have really stepped up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #16 of 19 Old 09-22-2010, 07:23 PM
Wheeler

You will never please everyone! If you go back about 3 years Teraflex went through the same issue. They made changes and moved forward as will RE.
post #17 of 19 Old 09-25-2010, 06:32 PM
Rock God

I've had my RE short arm super flex for 2 years now and the only thing I've had go wrong was the rear stablizer bushings going bad, which they replaced gladly, other than that RE is a great lift.

Kevin M.
2008 JK Sahara Unlimited, 3.8L, 3.5" Rubicon Express lift with (5) 35/70R17s' BFG KM2s' on Pro Comp Xtreme Alloys 7069 Series, Red Rock, Crystal Pearl, Galaxy CB Radio, Hella FF lights, Smittybilt XRC front and rear bumpers, Xenon Flat Fenders, 12K Mile Marker winch, front and rear Rugged Ridge diff guards, Mopar slush mats, and Vision X led rock lights, IPF 920H4 JK Headlights, Superchips flashpac, River Raider rock sliders, front/rear Coast 1310 driveshafts

post #18 of 19 Old 10-04-2010, 11:20 AM
Granite Guru

I have had issues with my bushings in the past, and am now on my second set. However, this set is also failing. Maybe this is simply something to be expected but it would be nice to see bushing that lasted a little longer. Mine show wear after only several months and need replacement about every year. RE did send me replacements, but I'd be surprised if their business model was to send replacements every year to every customer. At some point they must have figured that even their newest ones would last longer than a year... I have also experienced some rubbing on the rear passenger bumpstop due to the track bar bolt contacting this pad. Leaning that bumpstop pad forward seemed to do the trick.

Having said that, I am pleased with how this kit performs on and off road. It does allow for a very smooth ride and excellent handling with very little body roll. I have yet to find a kit in this price range that has given me this type of performance. As all of these kits that I have seen are limited by shock travel, lack of flex has not been an issue. If I end up doing some extreme setup with 16" coilovers, it'll probably be completely custom and involve a 3 link of some sort, but for what I do (mainly rocks) this is perfect. The high mount location of the arms is crucial for the type of wheeling I do. I've seen taller Jeeps on bigger tires get hung up on ledges due to low hanging mounts where I have not had an issue.

After extensively looking at the design as it was installed on the Jeep, it seems like a pretty solid design. The modular front cross member is genius. That would make any tranny or t case work much easier, you wouldn't even have to touch the suspension.

As said previously, every kit has its issues, and maybe the bushing issue is just something that I'll have to deal with (albeit super frustrating) but as long as my arm mounts aren't ripping sections of my frame out, I'll consider it a small price to pay for an otherwise superb performing suspension kit.

But seriously [email protected], are bushing failures to be expected?

Thanks!

2008 Steel Blue JK Unlimited Rubicon
RE 4.5" LA
37" KM2's on 17x8.5 MB72's
Poly Tie Rod, Poly Steering Relo, Poly Draglink
5.13's, C-Gussets
3-7" HIDx HID's
2-4" HIDx HID's
Crossed Up Offroad Custom Winch Bumper
sPOD system, Cobra 75
Mopar Transmission Cooler

Last edited by NGINIER; 10-04-2010 at 11:27 AM.
post #19 of 19 Old 10-04-2010, 05:07 PM
JKO Addict!

But seriously [email protected], are bushing failures to be expected?

That is the question of the day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode