Daystar has the worst customer service I've ever dealt with - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 03-29-2014, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Daystar has the worst customer service I've ever dealt with

Here are my recent dealings with Daystar. I am beyond displeased with the lack of professionalism and customer service I have recieved with Ted Storms (whom I am told is no longer employed with them) and Kelly Herring. Let me preface this by saying I work in the oilfield in remote areas for 2-6+ weeks at a time. Most of the time my only means of communication is through satellite Wi-Fi. For that reason, email is my preferred outlet. The employees I dealt with could not understand that though told several times. I realize you get what you pay for and the price seemed right at the time. I was buying American, had to be a great product from a stand up company, right? ?

Jan. 21, 2014 I emailed Daystar through a link found on their website to inquire about the warranty on my sagging lift.

"Hi, I currently run your Daystar 3" Comfort Ride kit on my 2007 Jeep Wrangler JKU. I haven't had it on for long and it's started to sag pretty bad. When I installed it the Jeep had a nice stance and sat fairly level. Now it's nose diving and doesn't really look like it's lifted anymore, [like] I just leveled it and crammed tires under it. It's mostly a pavement pounder and doesn't see much offroad use. It's not beefed up with winches or heavy bumpers or armor or anything that would weigh it down. I love your products especially the hood wranglers and the upper dash panel. I just need to see what options I have to fix the my issue. Thanks for your time."

I went on to include my vehicle info, address, and name.

The next morning, Jan 22, I received this from Mr. Ted Storms

"Handled"

Nothing more, nothing less.

On Feb 1 and Feb 5 I sent Mr. Storms the same email as follows,

"Any way I can get an update on the progress of this? Your email left a lot to the imagination."

(No response for 2 weeks)
On the 5th Mr. Storms responded.

"Hello Nathan, can you call me please. If you can send me before and after pics so we can see exactly what is going on. Thanks,Ted."

I replied same day

"We've went from 'handled' to 'before and after pics'?"

Another email by me to Ted that day

" I'm in New Mexico right now. I'll call you when I get back to my Jeep in Texas. I can take after photos but I'll have to see if I can find any [pre] lift pics. I'm a little confused how we were "handled" on the 21st but not now."

No reply for 7 days.
On Feb 13th I sent Mr. Storms pictures, which I didn't upload here due to available space. This is the text that accompanied pictures.

" I'm not sure how much you'll be able to tell from the pictures but here they are.

The first picture shows the Jeep as it sits now with your lift and a TerraFlex leveling spacer I put in before I contacted you to combat the extreme sag in the front end. 315/70r17 (35x12.5)

The second picture is the oldest I have with the lift without the TerraFlex kit and 325/70r17 (36x13) with no rubbing and no issues.

The third shows my swaybar and endlinks. When originally installed the swaybar was level and the adjustable links were let out, now it's no longer level even after running the end links all the way in.

The fourth shows the TerraFlex leveling spacer compensating for the sagging Daystar kit.

The fifth shows where my 35x12.50x17 rubs my rock rail on bumps on the highway, something my 36x13.00x17 tires did not do."

If memory serves me properly sometime between Feb. 13 and Feb. 26 I expressed my displeasure on Daystar's FB page where they were trying to get a contest going to give people stickers. I suggested they work on customer service before begging customers to rock their stickers. I do not have the text available for that but if Daystar would like to post a screen shot I wouldn't object. The reply stated Kelly tried to call me. I don't understand why the fact that due to work email works best.

Feb. 26 I sent this email reminding that email is my means of communication.

"Just checking in, I haven't forgotten about you. I've been out of town on business and haven't had much chance to call. I'll call when I get back. Email correspondence is fine with me also."

Feb. 26 I get a reply from Ted (first in 13 days)

"Hey Nathan, If you can keep in contact via phone that might wk best. Kelly has tried calling you and has left at least 1 message regarding the lift. If you call talk to Kelly Herring his number is 623-907-0081 ext#458 and his email is [email protected] will be assisting you in the future. Thanks,Ted."

I then sent the same email to Kelly Herring, same day. No reply.

March 3rd I once again initiated contact.

"Still in the middle of the oil patch. Cell service is nearly nonexistent. Email is my only means of communication, I'd like to get the ball moving on this situation. Is Daystar going to replace my sagging lift or do I need to order from another company?"

AGAIN NO REPLY!!

March 11th and I'm really getting fed up. I emailed Kelly Herring.

"Please reply with the name of your supervisor. After giving ample opportunity for someone to contact me via email, as I have asked several times, I feel it is time to move to the next step."

That got a response from Kelly (after 13 days). Mar. 11

" Nathan,

Sorry for the delayís in response. I know you were working with Ted on this situation, Ted is no longer with us. If I recall you had our three inch kit and thought that the spacer was collapsing. I did not know where Ted left off with this. I can offer you this, if the spacer itself had failed then I will replace the spacer at no charge to you. I had seen the pictures of the of the Spacer and the Teraflex Spacer you added as well. From the pictures the Daystar spacer is not failing. I would look at the springs on the vehicle. If you use the vehicle Offroad, if youíre out flexing the suspension etc the springs will over time fatigue.

As I stated I can send you a new spacer out but I donít think this is going to be your problem.

As always you can contact me directly on my cell @ 623 628 1650

Thanks,

Kelly."

Mar. 11, my reply.

" It's 2wd, which can be seen from the photos. With the exception of the hill in my default google picture, prelift and 100% stock, the most offroading it does is driving through a pasture at my dad's. I feel the spacer has compressed resulting in the sag I am seeing, it's the only component that could be failing. Much of my frustration with this company could have been avoided with return emails from you. I have a very bad taste in my mouth with daystar. I'm not even sure at this point I want the product on my vehicle any longer based on the level of customer service I have been provided with."

Mar 11. Kelly's reply.

"His name is Mark Turner.

But let me ask you thisÖThe Pre-Lift is that the Teraflex part that is on the vehicle?

Kelly."

My response was mistakenly saved as a draft and not sent until Mar. 17

" I'm not sure what you are getting at. The only picture I can think of that you may be referring to is my old Gmail account photo that shows the rear of a 100% stock 3 month old *2wd* Jeep climbing a hill on the side of a canal. So again, no, there was no TerraFlex spacer on the Jeep. I'm honestly just tired of messing with this. Please send new poly spacers. I feel the fronts and rears are sagging as I feel I indicated in the photos. Whether it solves the issue or not, I assure you that you won't hear from me again.

It's a Daystar 3" Comfort Ride for 2007 JKU"

I again provided my name and address at the end of my email.

Once again no reply until I initiated contact again on Mar. 19th. (8 days with no reply)

"Are we on the same page?"

Same day, Kelly replied,

" I'll send two new fronts what's your address? I will need the ones on the jeep back"

Same day, I replied, in two emails

"My address was in my last emails. You sending a shipping label?"

" My pictures also show the rear tires making contact with the sliders as well."

At this time that is the last correspondence between myself and Daystar and short of a miracle, could likely be the last, sans an attempt at sending a copy of this to Mr. Turner via an email I guessed at being that it was not provided. I hope customer service and public relations is not Kelly Herring's position with Daystar. If so, I would suggest another career. I posted this to hopefully prevent others from making the same mistake I did.

2007 Sahara Unlimited - auto - Daystar - RC - Fox - Yukon 4.88 - 315/70/17 WildPeaks - Artec Axle Armor - Synergy - Rock Krawler - PSC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-29-2014, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepWranglerNation View Post
This is very unlike the Daystar that has helped me several times in the past.. and I don;t think your issue is with the "Daystar" name.. but the salesmen or this Ted person..do not allow one persons idiosyncrasies influence your thoughts on any future purchases via DayStar.
Although I can't recall the salesman/saleswoman who helped me, Daystar has bent over backwards to help support my issues.. and sent me products just because.
Perhaps I need to speak with them on your behalf..
You could very well be correct. Maybe it was rash of me to condemn the company as a whole. I am just very fed up at this point. This is not my first unpleasant dealing with Daystar, just the only one worth really mentioning and I do not recall names or dates with the first. It was a small, trivial matter that pales in comparison and I wont bore anyone with the details. As you could imagine, I'm just tired of the situation at this point and regretting my purchase. FWIW, Kelly has been the source of the majority of my headaches with this company.

2007 Sahara Unlimited - auto - Daystar - RC - Fox - Yukon 4.88 - 315/70/17 WildPeaks - Artec Axle Armor - Synergy - Rock Krawler - PSC
post #3 of 22 Old 03-29-2014, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Either my email or my post has apparently sparked Daystar's interest in this matter. Maybe I'm giving myself too much credit but hours after posting I have received texts from Kelly. Still no emails which I have time and time again requested due to work.

Mar 29th, 10 days since my last contact with anyone at Daystar via text,

Kelly: "This is Kelly with Daystar, I want to follow and see if you received those spacers yet!"

Me: "No. I haven't gotten anything. No parts, no return email to my last two sent, no tracking information. Nothing, but that seems to be the norm. I'm in a safety meeting. As I've said numerous times, signal is scarce in the field, email is my best line of communication."

Kelly: "I know the order is In I am sending the front and rear spacers. Monday I will get you a tracking number if they left, if they have not I will overnight them."

Me: "So in other words you knew I haven't received them because they haven't been shipped yet?"

Kelly: "That is not what I said, I know the order is placed, I will check Monday to see if the shipped, which if they did I will get you a tracking number. If they have not I will get them over nighted to you."

Now, maybe I'm over thinking it but this feels like a countermeasure at damage control. 10 days since contact and suddenly the order is in but may not have shipped yet?? It's my thoughts the order was put in today, and won't ship until Monday for obvious reasons. While I appreciate the fact that they are willing to overnight, it doesn't make up for the past 2 months of run around and horrible customer relations. This is not how I would expect a business in the USA to be ran.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 03-29-2014, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Just be reassured that I sent them a very important email myself.. thou I wish that I could recall who I spoke with in the past, but all I can say is hang in there.. They are aware of your issue and of this post.. Although the moment over took your best judgement and you just decide to post this thread in the "dirty laundry" I would suggest that you contact the admins and ask them to move it or repost this in the "Daystar" vendor area..
I don't know you from Adam, but I appreciate your efforts in resolution in the matter as well. Very Jeeper of you.

I felt I was airing dirty laundry at the time of OP. Admins, please move to appropriate area. Thank you.

post #5 of 22 Old 03-29-2014, 06:06 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Just be reassured that I sent them a very important email myself.. thou I wish that I could recall who I spoke with in the past, but all I can say is hang in there.. They are aware of your issue and of this post.. Although the moment over took your best judgement and you just decide to post this thread in the "dirty laundry" I would suggest that you contact the admins and ask them to move it or repost this in the "Daystar" vendor area..
I dunno... January to March with shoddy communication and no resolution. This belongs in dirty laundry.
If Daystar ever does rectify this then the op should post the resolution and those of us who may be 'on the fence' with Daystar can decide then if Daystar came through or not.
post #6 of 22 Old 03-29-2014, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I will keep updated. Good, bad, or othwise.

Last edited by TYDFAN; 03-30-2014 at 07:38 PM.
post #7 of 22 Old 03-30-2014, 01:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Daystar has the worst customer service I've ever dealt with

Wait ... These are spacers ?
How can you blame Daystar ?
The same could happen with any spacer. The springs can fatigue, bind on up travel and eventually sag. What are your coil numbers ?

That's like you calling Goodyear and blaming their tire on bearing failure.
It happens... Time for a coil upgrade.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #8 of 22 Old 03-30-2014, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Wait ... These are spacers ?
How can you blame Daystar ?
The same could happen with any spacer. The springs can fatigue, bind on up travel and eventually sag. What are your coil numbers ?

That's like you calling Goodyear and blaming their tire on bearing failure.
It happens... Time for a coil upgrade.

The post was long, maybe you didn't read it. It's not the product I'm unhappy with. I understand poly compresses over time. That's not the factor. They are a warrantied item as their website says. It's the customer service. I feel had you read the full post, that would be evident. In fact, had they said they just weren't going to warranty them, I'd have been upset but no one would have ever heard about it. I would have replaced with coils, thrown the Daystar in the trash and gone about my business. I bought it knowing it was temporary but it had a warranty so I felt confident if I had issues, they would be easily resolved. Coils are on the list, following the axle conversion and lockers.

Last edited by TYDFAN; 03-31-2014 at 04:20 PM.
post #9 of 22 Old 03-30-2014, 02:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
This is very unlike the Daystar that has helped me several times in the past.. and I don;t think your issue is with the "Daystar" name.. but the salesmen or this Ted person..do not allow one persons idiosyncrasies influence your thoughts on any future purchases via DayStar.
Although I can't recall the salesman/saleswoman who helped me, Daystar has bent over backwards to help support my issues.. and sent me products just because.
Perhaps I need to speak with them on your behalf..
Salesmen/customer service and a company's reputation are not separate. Just the opposite as customer service is the face of a company.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 22 Old 03-30-2014, 02:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Sorry got sidetracked with b-day cake lol
I read the first post and where they "finally" responded. Skimmed the rest.

I agree, good company's will bend over and grab their ankles for you. Although some of the larger company's --like Daystar --can care less about one person. I believe Daystar make bushings for other company's maybe even factory ??

My point ... I would have never brought this up knowing it's not really their problem. You did ... So yes, I agree. They should/could of have handled it better.

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #11 of 22 Old 03-30-2014, 02:51 PM
Wheeler

Bottom line is custermer service sucks This has been going on long enough. If anyone there cared it would not have gone on this long. Many companies would love the business and would make the customer happy. Making the customer happy is what costumer service is about.
I won't by from them. There are tons of other companies out there that can handle their business.

Sent via -
National Security Administration.
Sub Sector 69.
Division - A.
post #12 of 22 Old 03-30-2014, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Long posts are a good way to keep readers from actually read it.. being that I seen your key words.. "Daystar" and "Customer Service" I knew I needed to read the entire post.. Then, as I stated above.. I contacted Daystar.. (Kelly) it is unclear what she means by "On It" but this isn't the first time I've interjected with a user of any forum and informed the product manufacture in question. Most companies thank me for giving them the heads up.. (4WD, Quadratec etc)

What is happening here.. is these companies are creating social networks and joining forums just to be apart of the whole atmosphere.. yet leaving the social network/account to simply run itself.. which can't be done.. If they take part of a social network or forum.. they will need to maintain constant watch of any posts that could be an issue in the future.
I gave Mark Turner (supposedly Kelly's superior) a heads up, no word from him as of yet. My email was sent on a Friday evening so I would imagine he was possibly out of the office. My email included my first post and my intentions on putting it on public forum.

Though, in my opinion, a "heads up" was unnecessary. Had I purchased this kit and it started sagging and then I immediately came on here and put them on blast claiming they had a crappy product and trash talking without warrant, then I could see them deserving a "heads up" email. Trust me, Kelly was very aware of my issues well before this was brought to light as I feel I have clearly shown.

Last edited by TYDFAN; 03-30-2014 at 07:37 PM.
post #13 of 22 Old 03-30-2014, 05:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYDFAN View Post
I gave Mark Turner (supposedly Kelly's superior) a heads up,
Mark Turner is the owner of Daystar...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 22 Old 03-30-2014, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
Mark Turner is the owner of Daystar...
Good to know. Thank you.

post #15 of 22 Old 03-31-2014, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Email from Kelly this morning, as promised...

"Nathan,

I am sending your spacers today.* You will have them tomorrow, I will send you a tracking number this afternoon after they shipped.
Keep me posted on the outcome, if you need anything else let me know.

Thanks,

Kelly."

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

post #16 of 22 Old 03-31-2014, 11:16 AM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Daystar is a great company that actually makes a lot of parts for the Jeep and automotive industry here in Arizona. I know Kelly spends a lot of time on the road and it sounds like the first guy dropped the ball. Looks like Mark got you handled but I think you have a spring issue not a spacer issue. I have never seen spacers compress enough to cause any sag issues.

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #17 of 22 Old 03-31-2014, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemonto View Post
Daystar is a great company that actually makes a lot of parts for the Jeep and automotive industry here in Arizona. I know Kelly spends a lot of time on the road and it sounds like the first guy dropped the ball. Looks like Mark got you handled but I think you have a spring issue not a spacer issue. I have never seen spacers compress enough to cause any sag issues.

Jason
Possibly so with the spring issue. I should have bought coils, I didn't. I bought poly with a warranty and when i felt i was having issues with that I inquired about, the rest was a train wreck of poor customer service by Ted AND Kelly, one month with Ted and one with Kelly. The fact of the matter is, this was not handled properly. At all. Ted did start the issues but Kelly was given ample time and information on several occasions to get this right. Had my concerns been a priority at anytime before I emailed Mark and posted this online then this could have been worked through and everyone could have remained happy. I think my timelines show with this that Kelly also dropped the ball, many times. This has been an over 2 month affair not days or weeks. We can make excuses for poor customer relations or we can hold companies accountable. My issue is not with the product, it's the service after the sale.

post #18 of 22 Old 03-31-2014, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I received tracking info @ roughly 4:30 pm CST. Glad this is finally being handled. I hate it came to this.

"Nathan,

Here is the tracking for the front and rear spacers for your JK.

1z******************* UPS NDA

Donít worry about the old spacers.* I donít need them back.

As stated before if you need anything else let me know!

Thanks,

Kelly."

At this time the tracking number isn't working but I will give it time to enter UPS's system. I trust they were shipped.

post #19 of 22 Old 04-02-2014, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

UPS dropped the box on my porch yesterday morning. 4 3" spacers inside. I received just what I was promised. Thank you Daystar for finally coming through. I just regret ot had to come to this point.

post #20 of 22 Old 04-16-2014, 07:13 AM
Rock God

Good to see that it finally got handled. Kelly is a good guy, I have known him for a couple of years. It does take him some time to get back to me every so often with him traveling all over the US often. Not an excuse but I can see how having an issue thrown on his plate after all that initial mess took a while to get figured out. Hope it solves the issues!

'12 JKU, 3.5", D44 front swap w/ OX & 5.13s. CMM & Rimz One Built.
Sponsored by Rigid Industries & Method Race Wheels

post #21 of 22 Old 04-16-2014, 07:48 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYDFAN View Post
UPS dropped the box on my porch yesterday morning. 4 3" spacers inside. I received just what I was promised. Thank you Daystar for finally coming through. I just regret ot had to come to this point.

I an glad it is handled for you. Kudos to Daystar.
post #22 of 22 Old 04-18-2014, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I wouldn't go that far. Haha

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode