Lifetime Warranty Void due to lift... Need a San Diego Service Dept. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 03-24-2014, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Lifetime Warranty Void due to lift... Need a San Diego Service Dept.

Got the postcard in the mail for my powertrain 5 year inspection.
Took it in this morning to get it looked at.
Told them that they are in denial about my exhaust leak and to fix it this time (previously they said they did, second time they said there was nothing wrong... I am a girl so they probably assumed I have no idea what I'm talking about)

Get a call back...
"Do you want the good news or bad news first"
"...Good news"
"Well we found that exhaust leak you were talking about and its getting fixed under warranty."
"Ok the bad?"
"We are now Voiding your warranty due to your lift"

I have now been on the phone all day with Jeep and the dealership. Dealership service manager never called me back, I am waiting now for a Jeep supervisor to call me back tomorrow (the people they have working there are nice but idiots) I have all my "evidence" printed out and highlighted including warranty paperwork and the Magnuson-Moss Act. This is illegal and I am fuming that I even have to deal with this. We will see what happens tomorrow.

On another note... If you know of any Mod friendly dealership service departments in San Diego please PM me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 03-24-2014, 04:50 PM
Rock God

Yeah, dumb. Thats a stealership for ya. Sounds like you had all of your ducks in a row. Hopefully they will figure out what you have. Good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 33 Old 03-24-2014, 05:07 PM
Rock God

They should be smarter than voiding the entire warranty over a lift.

For example, I can see not wanting to cover the drive shafts if they are at a larger angle than stock.
But, being lifted will have no effect on the engine water pump or connecting rod bearings.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 03-24-2014, 05:18 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DiscoBayJoe

what sized tires are you running?

Mine passed 5-year warranty inspection with 35" MTR/K's , a 3.5" lift, and trail damage from a recent trip thru the Rubicon just a few days prior to the inspection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2008 JKUR 3.5" Frankenlift : RK/Artec/Synergy/Reid/Currie/PSC - Spyder'd Out - 35" MTR/K's on Spyderlocks - BinksFab Tailgate
post #5 of 33 Old 03-24-2014, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoBayJoe View Post
what sized tires are you running?

Mine passed 5-year warranty inspection with 35" MTR/K's , a 3.5" lift, and trail damage from a recent trip thru the Rubicon just a few days prior to the inspection.
I am running 32s with a 2.5 lift... Its a little guy and bullshit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
They should be smarter than voiding the entire warranty over a lift.

For example, I can see not wanting to cover the drive shafts if they are at a larger angle than stock.
But, being lifted will have no effect on the engine water pump or connecting rod bearings.
I even explained that to them, and that that is ok. But no. Its FLAT OUT VOID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltz View Post
Yeah, dumb. Thats a stealership for ya. Sounds like you had all of your ducks in a row. Hopefully they will figure out what you have. Good luck
Thanks

Last edited by fishnbones; 03-24-2014 at 05:31 PM.
post #6 of 33 Old 03-24-2014, 05:35 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DiscoBayJoe

You should have gotten a form like this:

Did they mark "2c" as Yes? If so, what does it say in the Dealer Comments section?

2008 JKUR 3.5" Frankenlift : RK/Artec/Synergy/Reid/Currie/PSC - Spyder'd Out - 35" MTR/K's on Spyderlocks - BinksFab Tailgate
post #7 of 33 Old 03-24-2014, 05:53 PM
Granite Guru

The warranty can't be voided by the dealer. If this is a Chrysler warranty it has to be in writting and they can only void it for the affected part (s) by the modifications. Plus it is the burden to prove modifications cauded the issue. I had a twin turbo and tunner on an old diesel ram and they never voided my warranty.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2013 Wrangler JKU Sport Rock Lobster - Rugged Ridge trailer hitch, drop in air filter, grab handles; Smittybilt SRC rock sliders with steps, SRC rear bumper, G.E.A.R Tailgate cover; Daystar center console with cell phone holder; Rock Krawler 1.5" springs paired with Rancho RS9000xl shocks; and many more mods to come
post #8 of 33 Old 03-24-2014, 06:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Yeah, that sucks one of those things that unfortunately is dependent on how good or bad of a relationship you have with the dealer.

You hear stories like this and scratch you head, then you see stuff like in the video below and wonder WTF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgnOxjKln5s

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
post #9 of 33 Old 03-24-2014, 07:15 PM
Rock God

Who was the dealer? I from San Diego and have purchase several jeeps/ rams and had issues with warranty crap from a couple of dealers in SD.

*CAUGH* rancho *CAUGH*....

Lol

Sent from inside the Death Star

CRAWLIN PERFORMANCE 602-552-6793
post #10 of 33 Old 03-24-2014, 07:43 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubiconquered View Post
Who was the dealer? I from San Diego and have purchase several jeeps/ rams and had issues with warranty crap from a couple of dealers in SD.

*CAUGH* rancho *CAUGH*....

Lol

I was thinking Rancho when I read this my brother worked there at one point terrible dealer for Jeeps. I know of one near LA I can recommend if you don't mind the drive.

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps

Last edited by jdemonto; 03-24-2014 at 08:50 PM.
post #11 of 33 Old 03-25-2014, 08:31 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljvsnyder View Post
The warranty can't be voided by the dealer. If this is a Chrysler warranty it has to be in writting and they can only void it for the affected part (s) by the modifications. Plus it is the burden to prove modifications cauded the issue. I had a twin turbo and tunner on an old diesel ram and they never voided my warranty.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
The dealership can and does void warranties. Lifetime warranties in 2008 were a marketing ploy. Chrysler does everything in their power to void those suckers.

post #12 of 33 Old 03-25-2014, 11:26 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemonto View Post
I was thinking Rancho when I read this my brother worked there at one point terrible dealer for Jeeps. I know of one near LA I can recommend if you don't mind the drive.

Jason
Ya we had a TON of issues with them reguarding our 08 Ram, I never bought another vehicle from them after that truck and I would never recommend them to anyone!

You can try Jack Powell Dodge in Escondido, they are pretty cool over there, and also DCH Chrystler Jeep in Temecula was another dealer who worked well with people.

post #13 of 33 Old 03-25-2014, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoBayJoe View Post
You should have gotten a form like this:

Did they mark "2c" as Yes? If so, what does it say in the Dealer Comments section?
Here is my report card...

post #14 of 33 Old 03-25-2014, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

This has been the biggest headache. Service manager won't return my calls. I went in to bring him a copy of the magnuson moss act and my warranty book both highlighted and he was now where to be found.... So I left my info this morning and have still not heard anything back... Jeep called me and the woman on the other end told me putting 32s on it ruins the power train and that jeeps come stock with 18inch tires I lost my shit and got off the phone. Now I'm in the process of writing a letter to higher up and will keep going until this gets resolved.

And from everything I've read it is very illegal to void a warranty if it is not stated in your warranty that that would void it. The only thing that says mine will get voided for is changing the odometer...

Before I even modified it I called jeep and got the approval... As long as the lift or tires isn't the cause they have to warranty the issue and it cannot be voided.
post #15 of 33 Old 03-25-2014, 09:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnbones View Post
This has been the biggest headache. Service manager won't return my calls. I went in to bring him a copy of the magnuson moss act and my warranty book both highlighted and he was now where to be found.... So I left my info this morning and have still not heard anything back... Jeep called me and the woman on the other end told me putting 32s on it ruins the power train and that jeeps come stock with 18inch tires I lost my shit and got off the phone. Now I'm in the process of writing a letter to higher up and will keep going until this gets resolved.

And from everything I've read it is very illegal to void a warranty if it is not stated in your warranty that that would void it. The only thing that says mine will get voided for is changing the odometer...

Before I even modified it I called jeep and got the approval... As long as the lift or tires isn't the cause they have to warranty the issue and it cannot be voided.
Go there on a Saturday and sit outside the front telling anybody that comes up how they fucked you over.
I guarantee anyone that's anybody there will talk to you or get you the right contact info.

I would also contact BBB and tell them what's happening.
Those guys mean serious business and get shit worked out.

2012 Jeep Wrangler - Gecko
3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor
40x13.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers / 17" Fuel Hostage
Poison Spyder Brawler Lite / Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers
Poison Spyder RockBrawler w/ Tire Carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
and yet... canada still sucks worse

we'd make fun of your prime minister if we could... unfortunately nobody's ever heard of him!
post #16 of 33 Old 03-25-2014, 10:35 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Call SEMA the Specialty Equipment marketing association in Diamond Bar California. They formulated the laws your are saying are being violated and your right.
They way a dealership gets around a situation like this is to wear you out. The person you need to talk to won't ever be there and then you will be told his longer with the company.
I'm shock that zone told you voided your warranty but they don't always get it. Big corporations play by rules of different economics , not ethics. What are the chances of you taking them to court? What are the chances of you taking them to court and winning, What are the chances that if you win you are one in 50,000. Which means they pay you off and just gained five or fifty million dollars. For them its not about right or wrong or being fair it is dollars.
You need a hammer a big one call SEMA. And I sincerely wish the best of luck. Keep your spirit up.
EricLichtbach
post #17 of 33 Old 03-26-2014, 05:08 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Screw the Service Manager - go see the General Manager of the dealership. Hire a lawyer to write a letter to the dealership telling them what they did was illegal.

Mopar offers a fucking lift (rebranded Teraflex) so how could a lift void the warranty? Also, 32" tires come stock on a Rubicon. There is nothing in the warranty that says you can't change the size of the tires.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #18 of 33 Old 03-26-2014, 05:34 AM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

Lawyer Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
We liked you better when we didn't know you. If you just fucked off we could go back to not giving a shit about you.
post #19 of 33 Old 03-26-2014, 06:36 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
Screw the Service Manager - go see the General Manager of the dealership. Hire a lawyer to write a letter to the dealership telling them what they did was illegal.

Mopar offers a fucking lift (rebranded Teraflex) so how could a lift void the warranty? Also, 32" tires come stock on a Rubicon. There is nothing in the warranty that says you can't change the size of the tires.
According to Jeep it comes stock with 18"s apparently. ....

In all seriousness I would go speak with the service manager and general manager of the dealership and let them know what they did was wrong. If they still decide to not help you then I would go through every means possible to bring that dealership through hell, attorney, BBB, google reviews, and on my spare time I wwould gladly picket on their sidewalk.

I hope you get this sorted out, Pretty shitty of Midway, hopefully they make it right.

post #20 of 33 Old 04-01-2014, 12:52 PM
Wheeler

Im interested to hear which dealer too, so I can stay away.
post #21 of 33 Old 04-01-2014, 01:07 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Quote:
Here is my report card...

Is that Midway jeep? Right off the I-8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nuthead View Post
Im interested to hear which dealer too, so I can stay away.
^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #22 of 33 Old 04-01-2014, 08:38 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cod View Post
Lawyer Up
This!
post #23 of 33 Old 04-03-2014, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Yes. Jeep Midway.

Update: I sent a couple high ups a letter Tuesday morning... I woke up to a phone call yesterday from a man from chrystler. I called back and he was rad, told me no way could that be voided from that, it does not affect all the power train, he would call them and tell them they were wrong... Blah blah This morning I wake up to a voicemail from the same gentleman saying that the service manager Bruce over at midway called him back and said that since it is not mopar it voids the warranty so in fact my warranty IS void and if I go change it then it will be ok. I am so fucking pissed right now

I'm at a loss for words and moving on the the next step
post #24 of 33 Old 04-07-2014, 08:13 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

This thread is really bumming me out right now.

I have mine in the dealership today for the inspection. As banged up as the thing is i fully expect to get a voided warranty, but we'll see. They've been pretty good up until now, but you never know.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
post #25 of 33 Old 04-07-2014, 09:21 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Yes. Jeep Midway.

Update: I sent a couple high ups a letter Tuesday morning... I woke up to a phone call yesterday from a man from chrystler. I called back and he was rad, told me no way could that be voided from that, it does not affect all the power train, he would call them and tell them they were wrong... Blah blah This morning I wake up to a voicemail from the same gentleman saying that the service manager Bruce over at midway called him back and said that since it is not mopar it voids the warranty so in fact my warranty IS void and if I go change it then it will be ok. I am so fucking pissed right now

I'm at a loss for words and moving on the the next step

How does a GM overrule Chrysler ?

Are you recording the phone calls?

"that since it is not mopar it voids the warranty so in fact my warranty IS void and if I go change it then it will be ok"

This wrong in so many ways

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode