Water behind Mirrors - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 04-12-2008, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Water behind Mirrors

I hate it when you wash the jeep and you get water behind the mirrors and it drains out for hours after you have finished washing the darn thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-12-2008, 05:16 PM

Water Streak Fix

Hi, I found this on a website, I also didn't like the water problem, this seems to have solved it. Good luck,

Jim
Attached Images

post #3 of 17 Old 04-12-2008, 06:43 PM
Rock God

I drilled the holes in my mirrors where the horizontal portion of the mount meets the round base plate. Works great and provides less of an opportunity for the drill bit to get into the paint and start rusting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 04-14-2008, 10:25 AM
Rock God

FWIW, if you have ever taken the mirrors off you will notice that there is already a drain hole (actually a "V" shaped notch) in the bottom of the mount. Trouble is, the foam gasket fills the hole when its compressed

I ended up drilling too. One thing I have noticed, FOD gets in there and plugs the hole. I usually have to clear the hole everytime I wash it by either forcing water in the hole with the hose or by sticking a thin wire in and flushing from the top.

/jl

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
post #5 of 17 Old 04-15-2008, 12:24 PM
Rock God

wouldn't folks just make the seal v groove a little bigger to fix the problem instead of drilling a perminent hole in the plastic?
post #6 of 17 Old 04-15-2008, 01:02 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by NE Wrangling View Post
wouldn't folks just make the seal v groove a little bigger to fix the problem instead of drilling a perminent hole in the plastic?
Fixing Chrysler's manufacturing screwup requires you to remove the mirrors......drilling the holes doesn't.
post #7 of 17 Old 04-15-2008, 03:07 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by John L View Post
One thing I have noticed, FOD gets in there and plugs the hole. I usually have to clear the hole everytime I wash it by either forcing water in the hole with the hose or by sticking a thin wire in and flushing from the top.
I neglected clearing mine out for a while and now one side does not drain.I guess I need to pull it off and clean it out now.

'08 Rubicon UL Red Rock(SOLD)
'83 CJ-7
post #8 of 17 Old 04-15-2008, 04:13 PM
Rock God

so I drilled mine but it didnít seem to help much. So a few minutes ago I decided to go look at them. All it takes to take them off is a T(torx)40 bit and 2 screws. Yeah mine wasnít clogged with a little trash, it full of MUDD. I cleaned it out, trimmed the foam back some and enlarged the factory drain hole. We shall see how it does, rain predicted Friday.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 LJ - current
2007 4dr Rubicon - sold Project- JK
2007 2dr X - sold JK-forum
post #9 of 17 Old 04-28-2008, 07:33 AM
TrailDuty.com

I tried drilling a hole and it made little difference. I removed the mirror made a bigger v notch (about 3/16" deep), removed the foam from the bottom 1/2", touched up the paint damaged from drilling the earlier hole, and put the mirror back on. Drains in seconds now and really not noticeable unless you look for it.
post #10 of 17 Old 07-11-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big A View Post
DIE SPAMMER SCUM!

Reported

Who cares about a few droplets of water....jeezzuzzhcristo...is that what owning a Jeep is all about
post #11 of 17 Old 07-11-2008, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

But doesnt the water eventually get in between the door and inside panel? My hardtop already channels enough water into the interior, w/o help from the doors...ugh!

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #12 of 17 Old 07-11-2008, 01:14 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
But doesnt the water eventually get in between the door and inside panel? My hardtop already channels enough water into the interior, w/o help from the doors...ugh!
It probably would if it gets up above the lower bolt hole. I did the "cut v-notch in the gasket" method instead of drilling. It takes < 1 minute to remove the mirror (two torx bolts).

CURRENT - ordered 10/26, home 1/142008 JK Unlimited,3.8L,6-spd,limited slip,dual tops,tow pkg,all power
SOLD1999 XJ 4.0L,AX15,NP231,D30HP,C8.25
STOLEN1993 XJ 4.0L,AW4 ,NP231,D30HP,C8.25:::C4X4 THB:GDI 3row:K&N:JKS QD: Dynomax#17340:MagnaflowCat#23221:Surco 45x60
post #13 of 17 Old 07-17-2008, 08:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustoff '68 View Post
Who cares about a few droplets of water....jeezzuzzhcristo...is that what owning a Jeep is all about
It's more than a few drops, it actually pools up in that big ole' thing.

I haven't done ours yet after eleven months of ownership. But I'll definately be removing the mirrors before doing any drilling. I like the "fix the vee groove" idea best. I was reading someone drilled a 5/8 and someone else a 1" hole in the bottom

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #14 of 17 Old 07-23-2008, 12:54 PM
Alec W

Iíve decided to stop cleaning mine. Problem solved and more time for
post #15 of 17 Old 07-23-2008, 02:58 PM

Yepp...more time for
post #16 of 17 Old 07-23-2008, 05:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec W View Post
Iíve decided to stop cleaning mine. Problem solved and more time for
X2 on stop cleaning the Jeep. Funny thing, it looks good dirty.
post #17 of 17 Old 08-21-2008, 10:54 AM
Rock God

Garage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubirobv View Post
X2 on stop cleaning the Jeep. Funny thing, it looks good dirty.

I agree! Dirt and a little "pin striping" improve the looks of the jeep! I guess it just never occurred to me to wash it... So no problem with the mirrors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode