DiabloSport - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old 03-11-2014, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

DiabloSport

On Sunday I decided to go and update my Trinity to the latest CROM. Everything had been working without issue but I remember that my version had the trans temp monitoring removed and someone stated that the latest crom had this feature back in. Diablo also recommends keeping everything current.

I downloaded the latest version of DS Downloader (2.2.2.8 but the title still said 2.2.2.7), unmarried the Trinity from my Jeep and plugged it into my computer. The update process began and stated that there would be 5 updates. During the 2nd or 3rd update, I got an error message stating that the computer did not recognize the Trinity. I clicked and everything continued as if nothing happened. This happened several more times during the update process.

Once the update completed I unplugged the Trinity and plugged it back in. The screen remained black and a single red light was illuminated. I tried several times and the same thing happened. I also plugged it back into the Jeep with the same result so I contacted Diablo.

I was told that I should go to their site and open an RMA ticket to send the Trinity in for service. I go to their site only to see that this can cost up to 100 dollars plus shipping so I called and spoke with Mike this morning.

I asked him why should I be responsible for that fee when it was the update that broke it. His response was that it was clearly a hardware issue. I asked how could it be the hardware when everything was working correctly before I updated the Trinity but stopped working immediately after the update. He became rather agitated during the conversion and continued to assure me that it had to be a hardware issue.

I work as a software engineer and told him that if I ever pushed an update that bricked the hardware and tried to blame it on the hardware, I would probably be facing a lawsuit. He told me that they test all of the updates in house and that if it was the update, he would have a lot more calls.
I bought a Trinity when they first became available for the JK so in the name of full disclosure it is relatively old in tech terms. I asked him if they had older Trinitys in house to test on incase the latest updates don’t work with older versions of the hardware. His response was “our testers are the customers. We have hundreds of users with 3-4 year old Trinitys out there.”

I can completely understand if the Trinity stopped working while I was doing something with it but to blame a software update on the hardware is completely ludicrous to me. How does it make sense that it is a hardware issue if it was functioning properly before the update and won’t even turn on after? It is unacceptable for their update, that they recommend taking, bricks the hardware, and then on top of that, I am responsible for covering charges to fix it – if I would have ignored their manual stating that I should perform updates, I would have a drivable vehicle, but as it sits now, because you have to unmarry the tool to update it, my vehicle won’t start or run. On top of that, Mike was anything but helpful during the conversation. I used to tout Diablo any time someone asked what tuner to use but at this point I wish I had other options.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ALASHA; 03-11-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 03-11-2014, 08:45 AM
Rock God

Garage

That sucks, sorry dude. It sounds like your computer lost communication with the tuner during the update. Most of the time when updates like this fail, you can simply retry the update. Does the computer still recognize it? If so, you might be able to re-apply either the new version or the last one you were using and get it back. There are plenty of techniques to prevent a failed update from bricking a device. If they are not using them, then they need to hire better IT people.

If you un-married the tuner, wouldn't the Jeep revert back to stock? I don't understand why it wouldn't start. If it's back to stock, you should be able to run out and grab a flashpaq or procal to fix the tire/grears/etc, and get back on the road. Am I missing something?

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
post #3 of 40 Old 03-11-2014, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guruman View Post
That sucks, sorry dude. It sounds like your computer lost communication with the tuner during the update. Most of the time when updates like this fail, you can simply retry the update. Does the computer still recognize it? If so, you might be able to re-apply either the new version or the last one you were using and get it back. There are plenty of techniques to prevent a failed update from bricking a device. If they are not using them, then they need to hire better IT people.

If you un-married the tuner, wouldn't the Jeep revert back to stock? I don't understand why it wouldn't start. If it's back to stock, you should be able to run out and grab a flashpaq or procal to fix the tire/grears/etc, and get back on the road. Am I missing something?
The computer and the Jeep no longer recognizes the tuner so the tuner is bricked.

My Jeep has a supercharger on it so it will start but it wont run for crap with the different map sensor, larger injectors and boost. This is also the reason that DiabloSport unfortunately is my only option

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 Old 03-11-2014, 09:31 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Damn, that sucks. Hopefully Diablosport will come through and make it right. I won't be updating mine until I see what your outcome is...however, I did update it about 6 months ago and it worked, I have the trans temp as select-able gauge.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #5 of 40 Old 03-11-2014, 09:35 AM
JKO Addict!

I'm not sure if this will help but they do have a tech forum you might want to try searching or posting on http://www.diablosport.com/forum/index.php
post #6 of 40 Old 03-11-2014, 10:04 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
The computer and the Jeep no longer recognizes the tuner so the tuner is bricked.

My Jeep has a supercharger on it so it will start but it wont run for crap with the different map sensor, larger injectors and boost. This is also the reason that DiabloSport unfortunately is my only option
Well, crap. I was afraid you'd say something like that.

Although, thanks for speaking up. My supercharger is about to go in. Hopefully, your ordeal will keep someone else, like me, out of the same trouble.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....

post #7 of 40 Old 03-12-2014, 06:06 AM

Alasha - I'm not familiar with the product but as a SW/HW QA guy, can the update be reapplied? If so can you try using a different USB cable or port on your computer? Sounds to me like the root of the problem was the recognition errors during the update process. Did Diablo say these errors were normal?

Agree it sounds like Diablo could have been much more helpful...
post #8 of 40 Old 03-12-2014, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink5775 View Post
Alasha - I'm not familiar with the product but as a SW/HW QA guy, can the update be reapplied? If so can you try using a different USB cable or port on your computer? Sounds to me like the root of the problem was the recognition errors during the update process. Did Diablo say these errors were normal?

Agree it sounds like Diablo could have been much more helpful...
The problem is that nothing can be done now as the Trinity is unresponsive. I plugged it into both my new and old computer as well as the car with all of them having the same result.

The issue isnt with the computer, its with the fact that the Trinity is now nothing more than a brick.

post #9 of 40 Old 03-12-2014, 07:22 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Well fuck, I guess I am never going to try to update mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #10 of 40 Old 03-12-2014, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Well fuck, I guess I am never going to try to update mine.
But then Diablo wont have any testers

post #11 of 40 Old 03-13-2014, 05:39 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

They should have tested the fuck out of it for the 600.00 price tag they put on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #12 of 40 Old 03-17-2014, 11:34 AM
Rock God

Garage
They kinda suck

I failed to set mine to stock, updated and then reinstalled the avenger tune over the existing avenger tune, and saved the avenger tune as stock thus deleting the stock tune.
Diablo mike claims this was impossible.
It happened, mike, you fucker.
post #13 of 40 Old 03-17-2014, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coilrod View Post
I failed to set mine to stock, updated and then reinstalled the avenger tune over the existing avenger tune, and saved the avenger tune as stock thus deleting the stock tune.
Diablo mike claims this was impossible.
It happened, mike, you fucker.
Yeah Mike is pretty bad...

post #14 of 40 Old 03-27-2014, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Just got off the phone with DiabloSport. Brian from the RMA group is pretty good at responding to emails but since they have had my Trinity for almost 2 weeks now, I got a little antsy.

This time I spoke with Garrett instead of Mike who informed me that yesterday they discovered that it is in fact a software issue with their lastest update.

Downside is they dont know how to fix it yet so my Jeep is still inoperable. I was planning on doing a shakedown run this weekend before EJS but I guess that is out of the question now. Hopefully I get it back before EJS....

post #15 of 40 Old 03-27-2014, 01:46 PM
Rock God

Downside is they don't know how to fix it? If they caused the bricking of it, then they need to replace it! Wow that was simple.
post #16 of 40 Old 03-27-2014, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tight_wad View Post
Downside is they don't know how to fix it? If they caused the bricking of it, then they need to replace it! Wow that was simple.
Well now that it is a software issue, its just a matter of reflashing the Trinity to a version of the software that doesnt include the latest update. The issue is what to do with the latest update so that it doesnt brick everyone else out there.

I am a little worried given EJS is 2 weeks away and I still havent done a shakedown run and have one other mod left to do.

post #17 of 40 Old 03-27-2014, 02:01 PM
It never ends...

Quote:
Just got off the phone with DiabloSport. Brian from the RMA group is pretty good at responding to emails but since they have had my Trinity for almost 2 weeks now, I got a little antsy.

This time I spoke with Garrett instead of Mike who informed me that yesterday they discovered that it is in fact a software issue with their lastest update.

Downside is they dont know how to fix it yet so my Jeep is still inoperable. I was planning on doing a shakedown run this weekend before EJS but I guess that is out of the question now. Hopefully I get it back before EJS....
Yeah, you better…..

I love Wheeling, it frees the mind
T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
Adventures of Rex Thread:
post #18 of 40 Old 03-27-2014, 02:06 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

This is exactly why I have refrained from using a tuner thus far. Between Superchips and their issues and now this... I'd rather suffer with less power and still have a functional Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #19 of 40 Old 03-27-2014, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
This is exactly why I have refrained from using a tuner thus far. Between Superchips and their issues and now this... I'd rather suffer with less power and still have a functional Jeep.
You have no idea how mad I got over my conversation with Mike. If I had more time before EJS, an LS swap may have happened...thats how far I am willing to go to not have to rely on one vendor with no other alternatives

post #20 of 40 Old 03-27-2014, 02:11 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
You have no idea how mad I got over my conversation with Mike. If I had more time before EJS, an LS swap may have happened...thats how far I am willing to go to not have to rely on one vendor with no other alternatives
I can imagine! Nothing worse than being stuck between a rock and a hard place because of someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #21 of 40 Old 03-27-2014, 04:51 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Well now that it is a software issue, its just a matter of reflashing the Trinity to a version of the software that doesnt include the latest update. The issue is what to do with the latest update so that it doesnt brick everyone else out there.

I am a little worried given EJS is 2 weeks away and I still havent done a shakedown run and have one other mod left to do.
I run the Diablo intune and never updated it after first purchase. Had a superchips before that I was never able to get it to connect online to update it even though I would have. The difference for me between the two and doing updates is that mine is SC now as yours is and won't run without it.

We all live and learn, too bad it has to be you so close to EJS! Wish I could go, but my not going is by choice, hope you don't end up saying the same thing with out a choice.
post #22 of 40 Old 03-28-2014, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tight_wad View Post
I run the Diablo intune and never updated it after first purchase. Had a superchips before that I was never able to get it to connect online to update it even though I would have. The difference for me between the two and doing updates is that mine is SC now as yours is and won't run without it.

We all live and learn, too bad it has to be you so close to EJS! Wish I could go, but my not going is by choice, hope you don't end up saying the same thing with out a choice.
Thanks man. I will be going come hell or high water...

post #23 of 40 Old 04-01-2014, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Latest update from Diablo:

The tech that is supposed to be fixing my Trinity is a little backed up right now (Surprise)

Brian the guy who has been responding to me from RMA said he checked if he could just send out a new one but since mine is old and out of warranty that is a no go.

Still no exact ETA on when it would be fixed and shipped

post #24 of 40 Old 04-01-2014, 01:21 PM
Rock God

Garage

That sucks dude. Sorry to hear that it's still not working.

Mine gave me a scare yesterday after unpacking it from my RIPP kit. It automatically updated as soon as I plugged it in to the computer.... then would not power back on after the update was complete.

It would light the LED's in sequence, and I could see the back-light on the screen flash on, but the screen would stay black...

After the third un-plug/plug cycle, it popped on, updated something for a few minutes, and went to the home screen.

It felt like I'd dodged a bullet.

I hope yours gets sorted soon.

_

post #25 of 40 Old 04-01-2014, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guruman View Post
That sucks dude. Sorry to hear that it's still not working.

Mine gave me a scare yesterday after unpacking it from my RIPP kit. It automatically updated as soon as I plugged it in to the computer.... then would not power back on after the update was complete.

It would light the LED's in sequence, and I could see the back-light on the screen flash on, but the screen would stay black...

After the third un-plug/plug cycle, it popped on, updated something for a few minutes, and went to the home screen.

It felt like I'd dodged a bullet.

I hope yours gets sorted soon.
Thanks man. Yes you DEF dodged a bullet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode