Gas tank overfilling in OTHER vehicles?? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
View Poll Results: Recently, do gas pumps overfill and spray gas all over the side of your vehicle?
Yes: On my JK AND other vehicle(s) 4 8.00%
Yes: On my JK (I have no other vehicle) 2 4.00%
Yes: On my other vehicle but NOT on my JK 1 2.00%
Yes: On my JK but NOT on my other vehicle 18 36.00%
No: On my JK and NOT on my other vehicle 21 42.00%
No: On my JK (I have no other vehicle) 4 8.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 10-15-2009, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ImmortalityLTD
Gas tank overfilling in OTHER vehicles??

So we all know about the fuel overfill problem in the JKs from this thread: https://jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10545

Has anyone had the same problem in OTHER vehicles? I ordered the part that someone in the other thread said was supposed to fix the problem. It didn't, but when I mentioned it to my wife, she said she is having the same thing happen with her Ford Windstar. I asked around, and a co-worker with an Isuzu Xterra has the same problem. Another co-worker with a Toyota Highlander has the opposite problem: the gas pump shuts off constantly unless she holds the trigger only halfway in.

So my question is: Does the same thing happen with any of your other vehicles? It may be one of those things that happens to everybody, but its such an insignificant thing that nobody mentions it to anyone else. The conspiracy theorist in me wants to think that its the gas stations miscalibrating their pumps to increase the amount of gas that we buy. The skeptic in me wants to see more data.

Joel
2010 Tiki Rescue World Champion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 10-15-2009, 05:47 AM
Rock God

My wife had it happen once in our Liberty CRD. The funny thing is that I saw it happen to another guy at the same station in a brand new Suburban.

Our CRD has not done it again in over 50K miles. Maybe some pumps are more prone to allowing it to overfill?
post #3 of 22 Old 10-15-2009, 05:52 AM
Rock God

Garage

I havent had it happen with my other vehicles, but I have only had it happen in certain stations/ pumps.

Theres an old station that I go to that one of the pumps isnt calibrated right, you constantly see fuel on the ground, and it has gotten me a couple times
(I dont use that pump anymore)

Mainly I get overflow when I'm using newer, high flow systems. I've had it overflow, let it sit for a minute, then put another 1/2 gallon in. It doesnt happen all the time, and I try to watch how much I put it to avoid it... I would say, I've had it happen 3 times in the past 6 months. and all three times I wasnt paying attention.

Joe -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 10-15-2009, 07:22 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Liquor

all pumps are not the same. there is 1 in town here that over fills on many users. but use a different pump and no over flow

• Your Jeep and Gaming Social Network
2012 Sponsors:

Magazine Feature:

post #5 of 22 Old 10-15-2009, 09:40 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalityLTD View Post
Has anyone had the same problem in OTHER vehicles? I ordered the part that someone in the other thread said was supposed to fix the problem. It didn't, .
sorry it didnt fix your problem but like I said in the other thead it MAY fix your problem or it may be the gas tank like Mtnmedic said. As far as I know there are only 3 of us who had the problem and fixed or tried to fix it. Mine was the ESIM switch, has NOT happened again in 25K+ miles after happening on every fill up from NJ to NC for months and about 20K miles. Mtnmedic's was the gas tank and his dealer knew all about it soon as he mentioned the problem. He hasnt had the trouble again. Then yourself who tried the cheap and easy $10 fix that didnt work so its most likely your tank, if you're under warranty I would get it checked.

I dont believe its the pumps for the most part, if it were how would you explain it never happening again? Its all this damn emissions crap added on that it not perfect gives us fits lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #6 of 22 Old 10-15-2009, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ImmortalityLTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
Then yourself who tried the cheap and easy $10 fix that didnt work so its most likely your tank, if you're under warranty I would get it checked.
Warranty ran out earlier this year, so I was hoping the cheap & easy was going to work. Just my luck that it didn't.

Joel
2010 Tiki Rescue World Champion
post #7 of 22 Old 10-15-2009, 12:51 PM
JKO Addict!

My JK does it.
So did my 05 mustang.

Ont he JK i dont really care much.
On the mustang i was pissed. Was messing up my perfect paint lol

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #8 of 22 Old 10-15-2009, 01:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac

i have never had it happen to my JK or my GF cherokee sport.

one time at work my ambulance overflowed about 20gallons, but that because i went inside to eat

post #9 of 22 Old 10-15-2009, 01:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Happens everytime on the JK and not my other two an F250 Superduty and a VW GLI Jetta.
post #10 of 22 Old 10-15-2009, 05:58 PM
Rock God

I think Pumping Fuel 101 should be a mandatory driver's ed course

Along with Turn Signals Are Your Friends and Slow Traffic, Left Lane or Right Lane?.
post #11 of 22 Old 10-15-2009, 06:09 PM
Wheeler

Never happened in the first 20K miles, but has happened to me the past 3 times I filled up. I'm going to try another gas station and see what happens. Unfortunately, the warranty is done, so I either have to live with it or put off any further mods to fix it...hmmm, decisions, desicions. Yeah...think I'll just deal with it!

2007 JK 4 door
2" Skyjacker Boost
33 X 12.50 Interco MT
K&N CAI
Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper
Warn Winch
KC HiLighters
post #12 of 22 Old 11-16-2009, 07:11 AM
Granite Guru

This has recently started to happen with the JK. For now, I'm just listening for it to get full, then stop pumping.

2007 Jeep Green 2-Door

Suspension: RC 2.5" Coils & 2.2 Shocks Rock Krawler HD Tie Rod JKS adjustable trackbars JKS swaybar disconnects

Wheels/Tires: Procomp 1069 16X8 wheels Procomp Radial Mud Terrain 285/75-16 tires

Bumpers/Armor: Expedition One rear bumper/tire carrier

Comms/Extras: Cobra 75 WS XT 3' FirestickDirty Dog 4x4 Bikini
post #13 of 22 Old 11-16-2009, 07:35 AM
JKO Addict!

Haven't had the problem in the JK and never had the issue in any other vehicle.
post #14 of 22 Old 11-16-2009, 09:42 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAzGirlsDriveBadAzToyz View Post
I think Pumping Fuel 101 should be a mandatory driver's ed course

Along with Turn Signals Are Your Friends and Slow Traffic, Left Lane or Right Lane?.
and that would help how lol?

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
post #15 of 22 Old 11-16-2009, 11:19 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

had it happen a few times recently. the most recent, the pump clicked, but it just gurgled and did not overflow. i think the only reason it didnt happen is because i was recording a vid of it on my camera.

has never happened with any other vehicles on the first pump click.

the above is most likely irrelevant.
jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler, abendx is my hero, project-jk, jeep JK, JK wrangler, JK, JKO
post #16 of 22 Old 11-16-2009, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Garage

FAWK!

So my 07 2 door has done this since I got it but the 08 Rubi never did it until this past weekend!

WTF!

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #17 of 22 Old 11-16-2009, 05:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I wonder if the bullshtine ethanol blend they have us running is stopping up something. Just a thought.

My Jeep throws up every time I refuel now.
post #18 of 22 Old 11-16-2009, 09:14 PM
JKO Addict!

i never had the problem until they put in the new pumps
post #19 of 22 Old 11-16-2009, 09:18 PM
JKO Addict!

yeah mine has gotten way worse.
Used to do it once ever 5 fills or so, now it does it every time.

-Doc Holiday
post #20 of 22 Old 11-16-2009, 09:24 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC View Post
and that would help how lol?
with the jk overflows, no one. the rest of the idiots out there, maybe. GA's official turn signal is a brake light

add "beyond the turn signal: how to maintain your lane through an intersection" to the list.

some ppl are just too stupid to be allowed in public.

edit: neither of my other wranglers (YJs) or dodge ram ever did it, and so far, it hasnt happened to my JK. but then again i usually never leave the pump. ever since the day i got it before i joined the forum, i never liked the way the pump handle sits on the JK. weird angle or something, idk.

Life's hard. It's harder if you're stupid.

Last edited by pizzaman; 11-16-2009 at 09:26 PM.
post #21 of 22 Old 11-20-2009, 08:49 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalityLTD View Post
So we all know about the fuel overfill problem in the JKs from this thread: https://jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10545

Has anyone had the same problem in OTHER vehicles? I ordered the part that someone in the other thread said was supposed to fix the problem. It didn't, but when I mentioned it to my wife, she said she is having the same thing happen with her Ford Windstar. I asked around, and a co-worker with an Isuzu Xterra has the same problem. Another co-worker with a Toyota Highlander has the opposite problem: the gas pump shuts off constantly unless she holds the trigger only halfway in.

So my question is: Does the same thing happen with any of your other vehicles? It may be one of those things that happens to everybody, but its such an insignificant thing that nobody mentions it to anyone else. The conspiracy theorist in me wants to think that its the gas stations miscalibrating their pumps to increase the amount of gas that we buy. The skeptic in me wants to see more data.
Whoow Whoow wait a sec. U got a JK and ur wife got a Windstar??? sound to me like ur wife got shafted just joking.

Anyways, I've got a 09 and have only had problems when being greedy and trying to "top off" the tank. Also have a 99 Ranger and still no probs.
post #22 of 22 Old 11-20-2009, 08:58 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

No

Your ****s broke

Let it go

Or

Get it fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode