What's your thoughts? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 02-25-2014, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

What's your thoughts?

Just curious what your thoughts are about this. Say you wanna buy some thing from a member on the forums. You get paid in a few days and have made the agreement with the seller to send payment on payday. He agrees and marks pending on his listing. Well, mean while some smuck is trying to tell the guy he has cash now(after deal was made) and will buy it now. Never mind about the seller, but what's your thought on the guy trying to buy it from underneath you. Doesn't that seem a little on the dick head side?

Rescue Green 2008 Sahara Unlimited; RK 3.5 max travel; 37" Toyo Mt; PSC Brawler lite front bumper; PSC rock brawler rear w/ tire carrier; OR-Fab rock guards; Aev hood

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 02-25-2014, 03:48 PM
Granite Guru

Money talks. Be happy the seller is willing to give you time in the first place. If I have cash in hand and I see something I want, I'll be damned if I'm not going to make an attempt to buy it, unless I know a close personal friend already has a deal on it. Is that the case here, or is it Joe Random Guy that you don't know?

Bottom line, this isn't an issue or dirty laundry unless the seller ends up reneging on y'alls deal.
post #3 of 30 Old 02-25-2014, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I'm hoping he'll be pretty co. Seems like a good guy. The other guy(sniper) I don't know him. And really? Idk, maybe I've just been a selling stuff for too long. If I make a deal with some one, I keep it. Yeah, it's burned me a couple times and I've lost out on more money too. Seeing from my pov, money's tight and if I have to do a payment plan for some one(or my self) it's helps. 99% of the time they come through and are very graceious that you helped them. But that's just how I was raised to do business, honest and respectful. I know it sounds dumb but treat others how you want to be treated.

Rescue Green 2008 Sahara Unlimited; RK 3.5 max travel; 37" Toyo Mt; PSC Brawler lite front bumper; PSC rock brawler rear w/ tire carrier; OR-Fab rock guards; Aev hood

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 02-25-2014, 06:39 PM
Rock God

The seller should not make those kind of deals unless he plans to stick with him. The "other guy" has every right to at least attempt a purchase. It's on the seller to decide which kind of person he wants to be.

Personally, Its frustrating to hold parts for someone and then have them back out in the end, all the while losing a sale to guy screaming "Take my money". I always post my sales as first come first served. Show me cash and it's yours.

Mike
'07 2 door soft top
post #5 of 30 Old 02-25-2014, 08:03 PM
Rock God

these are forum deals. money talks. while the guy is being nice to agree to wait a few days, if i were him and someone else offered me cash today, i would take that in a heartbeat. have you ever sold anything online? how often have you had someone change their mind a few days later. its just part of how sales work. in this case, it sucks for you, but im sure more sellers have been screwed by buyers than the other way around.

also, to totally be that guy, what is it that youre buying? if you dont have the cash until pay day, maybe youre better off not spending that cash and sticking it in a bank account for the next time around.
post #6 of 30 Old 02-26-2014, 04:41 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Yes money talks but there is something that has gone by the wayside in this country. If I post something for sale and member X says they will take it then no matter who offers more after that too bad for them. Unless member X backs out within a day or two then it goes to next in line if they still want it.

But to not sell to you just because they get offered more for the item is bullshit. Bring back the days when a mans word was gold. But I guess too many now a days have no spine or morals and can be swayed by the dollar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #7 of 30 Old 02-26-2014, 05:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Yes money talks but there is something that has gone by the wayside in this country. If I post something for sale and member X says they will take it then no matter who offers more after that too bad for them. Unless member X backs out within a day or two then it goes to next in line if they still want it.

But to not sell to you just because they get offered more for the item is bullshit. Bring back the days when a mans word was gold. But I guess too many now a days have no spine or morals and can be swayed by the dollar.
I agree 100%. If a person makes a deal, they should honor it. It's that simple.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #8 of 30 Old 02-26-2014, 05:49 AM
JKO Addict!

I usually put "first one with money, wins" on my for sale stuff.

I've been burned a few times waiting for people to pay and told other people that it was essentially "sold"...meanwhile the guy I was waiting for backed out and I turned other interested buyers away. I'll usually take a non-refundable deposit on something if it's valuable enough, if someone threw $50 at me to hold a $300 part until payday..that's cool with me. But I'm pretty much over waiting for anyone I don't personally know.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #9 of 30 Old 02-26-2014, 05:55 AM
Granite Guru

First person to pay gets it. I don't know how many times (especially on this forum!) that I've had people say " I definitely want them, definitely will take them" and never hear from them again or they come up with an excuse why they are not paying.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #10 of 30 Old 02-26-2014, 05:58 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:

This goes both ways and applies to the buyers. Unfortunately flaky buyers who don't stick with their word are the reason sellers go with who ever pays first.

post #11 of 30 Old 02-26-2014, 06:55 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKOS View Post
This goes both ways and applies to the buyers. Unfortunately flaky buyers who don't stick with their word are the reason sellers go with who ever pays first.

Another reason why I look at who the seller is and I hope they look at the buyer. I was going to buy an item from someone this past weekend who I know has been on here a long time now. In the end I wasn't the 1st to say I would buy it. When I see 50,000 jeep for sale from an individual with one post. Well they are not going to get business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #12 of 30 Old 02-26-2014, 07:53 AM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

Quote:

^^This.......
post #13 of 30 Old 02-26-2014, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
I agree 100%. If a person makes a deal, they should honor it. It's that simple.
Quote:
Another reason why I look at who the seller is and I hope they look at the buyer. I was going to buy an item from someone this past weekend who I know has been on here a long time now. In the end I wasn't the 1st to say I would buy it. When I see 50,000 jeep for sale from an individual with one post. Well they are not going to get business.
I agree with all this above. I was raise where your word proves who you are and how respectful you are. And when I make those kinda of deals, I check feedback and get name and numbers. Also, I'm one of the top bst sellers here and a couple other places. I have bought and sold many things and held things for people. Yes, I've been burned, but that happens. Any time I've told some one I was going to buy some thing and payment would be on such date, I paid on that day. It's really sad to see that people are just out to fuck other people over by going behind their back and trying to essentially steal the deal..... I'm glad to see there is a lot more people like that than just me. Cudos to those folks! And well.... Sadly enough, I haven't heard from the buy and supposed to be sending payment today.... If he sold it after we had a deal, his name will be posted below as that's really gonna piss me off.

post #14 of 30 Old 02-26-2014, 09:33 AM
Granite Guru

When I want to buy something, I pay for it right then and there. The money is sent. If I can't afford it, I don't ask a seller to hold it. that's not fair to the seller. I don't even ask that of my acquaintances. If it sells, too bad for me.

If I'm dealing with my friends, I'll hold stuff on their word no problem because I know they are good for it. For some random internet person I have never met- word unfortunately doesn't mean dick these days. Learned too many times the hard way. Money talks.

BUT, if a seller said he'd hold it and then didn't, that's not cool. As a seller, I'd just never say I'll hold it unless I know the guy is 100% good for it (a friend).

post #15 of 30 Old 02-26-2014, 10:06 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:

I must agree. I actually had two people at my house at one time looking at a motorcycle I was selling. The first guy to contact me and tell me he was going to buy it was first in line and even though I had set up separate times for the two to show up the other guy showed up first. It actually turned into a bidding war with the second guy trying to offer me more money. In the end I couldn't feel right with myself if I had sold it for more money after I had already essentially made a deal.

Sometimes I will post up and say "first one with money gets it" but if I don't say that and I make a deal it's a deal.

It's too bad more people don't hold to that but I can't blame the "sniper" for trying to outbid you, in the end we can just hope the seller stays true to his word.

'09 JKUR. Metal Cloak overlines, TF 3" LA, 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Home built winch bumper, custom built sliders, RK Drag Link and HD Pro Tie rod, Adams front shaft, TF Big Brakes, Speed Bumps, Warn M8000
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
post #16 of 30 Old 02-26-2014, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKOS View Post
When I want to buy something, I pay for it right then and there. The money is sent. If I can't afford it, I don't ask a seller to hold it. that's not fair to the seller. I don't even ask that of my acquaintances. If it sells, too bad for me.

If I'm dealing with my friends, I'll hold stuff on their word no problem because I know they are good for it. For some random internet person I have never met- word unfortunately doesn't mean dick these days. Learned too many times the hard way. Money talks.

BUT, if a seller said he'd hold it and then didn't, that's not cool. As a seller, I'd just never say I'll hold it unless I know the guy is 100% good for it (a friend).
Did you buy your house with credit? Did you buy your car all in cash? I didn't think so. Jeep parts are expensive, I bet 90% of people on here don't have $400 to throw down. If I say I'll pay, I don't back out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDukit View Post
I must agree. I actually had two people at my house at one time looking at a motorcycle I was selling. The first guy to contact me and tell me he was going to buy it was first in line and even though I had set up separate times for the two to show up the other guy showed up first. It actually turned into a bidding war with the second guy trying to offer me more money. In the end I couldn't feel right with myself if I had sold it for more money after I had already essentially made a deal.

Sometimes I will post up and say "first one with money gets it" but if I don't say that and I make a deal it's a deal.

It's too bad more people don't hold to that but I can't blame the "sniper" for trying to outbid you, in the end we can just hope the seller stays true to his word.
Id do business with you! Some times ya lose out, but at the same time, it's like paying it forward.

post #17 of 30 Old 02-26-2014, 03:57 PM
JKO Addict!

Like others have said, first with money takes it. But I also make it a point that I'm not holding anything.

However, it would be shitty for the guy to sell it after he promised he'd hold it for you.

2012 Jeep Wrangler - Gecko
3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor
40x13.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers / 17" Fuel Hostage
Poison Spyder Brawler Lite / Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers
Poison Spyder RockBrawler w/ Tire Carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
and yet... canada still sucks worse

we'd make fun of your prime minister if we could... unfortunately nobody's ever heard of him!
post #18 of 30 Old 02-26-2014, 04:34 PM
Rock God

I pretty much agree with everyone. Money talks.

That being said, if I sell something on CL and the person says they will come after work later in the day, I'll hold it.

But if somebody says I'll buy it on payday or can come by in a few days, then I let them know it's theirs unless somebody else comes moves first. I have offered people that really want it a deposit option - they can send me $20 on PayPal and I'll hold it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

post #19 of 30 Old 02-26-2014, 09:03 PM
Granite Guru

What's your thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Jk View Post
Did you buy your house with credit? Did you buy your car all in cash? I didn't think so. Jeep parts are expensive, I bet 90% of people on here don't have $400 to throw down. If I say I'll pay, I don't back out.

I thought we were talking about forum/online purchases. When I bought my house or jeep, I put money down. Not to mention if you don't follow up on a loan, the bank can take your assets, so they are not concerned. We're talking about online word, not loans and no handshakes. Word from some random internet person you don't know.

Like I said before I agree with you that it's shitty that the seller agreed to hold it for you and didn't. If I said I'd hold something I'd stick to it- but for online selling I don't do that anymore since buyers can be flaky. If a buyer wants something he can always leave a deposit. At least then you know he's good for it.

So yeah it sucks but come on it's the internet. I've come to expect this sort of stuff.

post #20 of 30 Old 02-27-2014, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Agreed but just because it's the internet doesn't mean we can degrade our morals.

post #21 of 30 Old 02-27-2014, 05:15 AM
CalmerThanYouAre

If I said I'd hold the item for you I'd hold the item for you because my word is my bond. Nothing wrong with other people making offers though, doesn't hurt to ask. I've used Craig's list and my phone response to callers has been first person here with cash get it. Be it a hard top, enclosed trailer, soft top. Even if someone has offered me more money to hold it a couple of days it's first come first served.
I'd help out a forum member though and hold the item for a week. Then if you stuck it to me I'd PM sniper and make him a good deal.

I support the military, fiscal responsibility, Hemp, legalization of Marijuana over 21, smaller government and the Bill of Rights.

NSA: The only part of the government that actually listens.
post #22 of 30 Old 02-27-2014, 05:47 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:

All kinds of this^^^^

If they want to sell it auction style they should say highest $$$ wins..
or if they are in a hurry then should have put it up like Goody said first one with the $$$ gets it...

How I LEARNED TO STOP GIVING A SHIT AND LOVE MINDLESS SELF INDULGENCE

Itís time to reevaluate the way we coddle the future generation. Making mistakes and getting hurt is how you grow. Teaching kids to fear Pop Tarts is how you promote xenophobia. Letís get it together, America.
post #23 of 30 Old 02-27-2014, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Seller came through for me, so I'll make a new update when I get it.

post #24 of 30 Old 02-27-2014, 12:44 PM
It never ends...

It depends:

1) If I've agreed ("it's a deal") and the guy can't pay me for a couple days I'll hold up and wait. A deal is a deal even if someone else comes along after.

2) If the person I made the deal with can't turn up with the $ when promised, it no longer is a deal. In that case I take into account the situation and decide to continue to work the the guy or take another offer.

3) When I'm selling something in hot demand, I'll just tell people where in line they stand. "You're second in line". Of course if a deal hasn't been struck with the first guy in line, then I'd look at the bid from the second guy in line (or third or whatever).

Once a deal is struck, stick to the deal, even if something better comes along. If a deal hasn't been agreed to with anyone, then a bidding war can be good.

I love Wheeling, it frees the mind
T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
Adventures of Rex Thread:
post #25 of 30 Old 02-27-2014, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandRubi View Post
It depends:

1) If I've agreed ("it's a deal") and the guy can't pay me for a couple days I'll hold up and wait. A deal is a deal even if someone else comes along after.

2) If the person I made the deal with can't turn up with the $ when promised, it no longer is a deal. In that case I take into account the situation and decide to continue to work the the guy or take another offer.

3) When I'm selling something in hot demand, I'll just tell people where in line they stand. "You're second in line". Of course if a deal hasn't been struck with the first guy in line, then I'd look at the bid from the second guy in line (or third or whatever).

Once a deal is struck, stick to the deal, even if something better comes along. If a deal hasn't been agreed to with anyone, then a bidding war can be good.
Exactly this ^^^

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode