Genright Never Again ! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 01-23-2014, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Genright Never Again !

I ordered Genright Coilover Kit for my 2013 Jeep JK Unlimited. I originall had a 2009 model but sold it last April. I bought these parts last year and due to the fact I do not make a lot of money, I would save and then by bits and pieces here and there. To make a long story short, it is time for me to start my build. The company doing my build is a local company who does awesome work. The owner has built several Ultra 4 vehicles for some top names in the sport one who has actually won the Hammers. He is very knowledgeable and very meticulously when it comes to building your project. My build includes a coilover suspension front and rear. We are only installing the coilovers and no control arms because those will be custom as well. So the builder knows what spring rate to run in the front of my jeep but was sourcing info from Gentight on their rear coilover setup because he has nerver built their kit. A call to Genright and they would not give him their spring rates, but asked why we were not using King Coilovers. He told them that he has a good relationship with Fox and the cars that he has built was with the Fox product. I have spent quite a bit of money with Genright and I was very upset over stinking spring rates. We were attempting to get a starting point as we know every Jeep is different due to the fact how and where the coilovers are set up.

Am I wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-23-2014, 06:20 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

wrong - maybe

overboard....kinda

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #3 of 16 Old 01-23-2014, 07:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Springs rates are top secret so I don't know why Genright had their panties in a bunch.

With that said, if you are having a professional like the one you describe build your JK, why are you buying off the shelf parts to begin with?? The coil over brackets are exactly rocket surgery so someone who builds ultra4 bugs shouldn't have any issues.

Along those lines, I assume he has or has access to corner weights. Use those to get a accurate weight for the rear of your JK. Then get the weight of your rear axle/wheel and tire combo. Armed with that info, you shouldn't have any issues going to Fox and getting the best spring rates for your particular set up.

Just my 2 cents...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 01-24-2014, 05:36 AM
JKO Addict!

As an indifferent third party I am having trouble understanding why you got so pissed over this. They didn't fuck up your order, they didn't lie, they didn't avoid you, they didn't do anything that would normally get a company egg on their face. Was it confrontational when they asked why he was going Fox instead of King, or more of a curious 'Why did you decide to do that'? I see nothing in there about them being dickish. As far as the spring rates....companies spend a lot of time on R&D and take pride in the setups they develop. It could have been any joe schmoe rip-off company calling up to get their spring rates so they could develop their own version without the R&D and by getting proprietary information. I can't really blame them for that, and maybe King didn't want that info being given out.

Just playing devil's advocate here....for the quality of products they offer a 'never again' over this seems pretty comical. But, it's your money, not mine.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #5 of 16 Old 01-24-2014, 05:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

The real question is....did they send you any stickers?

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 Old 01-24-2014, 06:22 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCdawg View Post
The real question is....did they send you any stickers?
True. World Headquarters keeps a tight leash on the swag

Paging Lika

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #7 of 16 Old 01-24-2014, 06:51 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper1 View Post
I ordered Genright Coilover Kit for my 2013 Jeep JK Unlimited. I originall had a 2009 model but sold it last April. I bought these parts last year and due to the fact I do not make a lot of money, I would save and then by bits and pieces here and there. To make a long story short, it is time for me to start my build. The company doing my build is a local company who does awesome work. The owner has built several Ultra 4 vehicles for some top names in the sport one who has actually won the Hammers. He is very knowledgeable and very meticulously when it comes to building your project. My build includes a coilover suspension front and rear. We are only installing the coilovers and no control arms because those will be custom as well. So the builder knows what spring rate to run in the front of my jeep but was sourcing info from Gentight on their rear coilover setup because he has nerver built their kit. A call to Genright and they would not give him their spring rates, but asked why we were not using King Coilovers. He told them that he has a good relationship with Fox and the cars that he has built was with the Fox product. I have spent quite a bit of money with Genright and I was very upset over stinking spring rates. We were attempting to get a starting point as we know every Jeep is different due to the fact how and where the coilovers are set up.

Am I wrong?
So your builder is building you a custom suspension and wants another company's opinion on what they should do? I would understand if it was Genrights components and then they wouldn't assist with the spring rates but if it is a one-off (custom) kit, why is it Genright's duty to do the work on finding the starting point? Based on your location, I'd be guessing either Adam at Tribe4x4 or Josh at Beartrax is doing your build. I find it hard to believe that they'd have trouble coming up which spring rate to use. Here's some good reading behind the process. http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...arySpringRates
post #8 of 16 Old 01-24-2014, 07:53 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper1 View Post
Am I wrong?
Yes
post #9 of 16 Old 01-24-2014, 08:21 AM
JKO Addict!

If you have such a quality off road rig builder he should be able to find a starting point pretty easy by weighing the jeep and putting the info in a calculator. In a custom set up how you mount the shocks will also affect the coil rates.

Genright does not know what you are doing or what it will weigh when its done so how could they even give you a place to start?

Coming on here and flaming genright because your builder is too stupid to figure coil rates is wrong. You should be flaming your builder so others will stay away from someone that can't figure a simple coil rate.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #10 of 16 Old 01-24-2014, 10:56 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

/

post #11 of 16 Old 01-24-2014, 03:21 PM
Granite Guru

Asking to guess isn't fair. Here is what you do...Go to Wayne at All Tech http://www.alltechmotorsports.com/ he is Foxes tuner and I can tell you he tuned my JK Coil overs and the Jeep is so smooth over the bumps. Tell him George with the Silver JK refereed you. It will be the best money you ever spent. You can guess and get close with the weights but he will take it to a new level.

Silver 4 Door JK
60's / 40's
Ripp
Rebel Off Road Suspension
King Shocks

Last edited by OffRoadGeorge; 01-24-2014 at 03:24 PM.
post #12 of 16 Old 01-24-2014, 06:27 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADGER View Post
. As far as the spring rates....companies spend a lot of time on R&D and take pride in the setups they develop. It could have been any joe schmoe rip-off company calling up to get their spring rates so they could develop their own version without the R&D and by getting proprietary information. I can't really blame them for that, and maybe King didn't want that info being given out.

Just playing devil's advocate here....for the quality of products they offer a 'never again' over this seems pretty comical. But, it's your money, not mine.
The pride is in the valving, no so much the spring rate...

post #13 of 16 Old 01-25-2014, 07:39 AM
ADDICTION II build begins....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADGER View Post
As an indifferent third party I am having trouble understanding why you got so pissed over this. They didn't fuck up your order, they didn't lie, they didn't avoid you, they didn't do anything that would normally get a company egg on their face. Was it confrontational when they asked why he was going Fox instead of King, or more of a curious 'Why did you decide to do that'? I see nothing in there about them being dickish. As far as the spring rates....companies spend a lot of time on R&D and take pride in the setups they develop. It could have been any joe schmoe rip-off company calling up to get their spring rates so they could develop their own version without the R&D and by getting proprietary information. I can't really blame them for that, and maybe King didn't want that info being given out.

^^ x2

U.S. Army
post #14 of 16 Old 01-26-2014, 04:20 AM
Rock God

Geez, the more I hear petty shit and dumb ass questions...... No wonder Jeep guys talk shit about guys who own JK's......
post #15 of 16 Old 01-26-2014, 09:47 AM
Granite Guru

What do you plan to do with the jeep that you need coil overs? If you are on a budget why not get a Rk long arm kit for less then the coil overs?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #16 of 16 Old 02-03-2014, 11:46 AM
Rock God

Garage

OP, yes you are wrong. You got so worked up over nothing.

Take a Monistat 1 and call in the morning.

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode