the 36K mile time bomb has apparently gone off - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 09-05-2009, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom
Angry the 36K mile time bomb has apparently gone off

So I turned 36Kmiles with ZERO problems ever with the jeep
never been back to the dealer, zip, zero, nada.

36,1xx rear locker taking awhile to unlock
36,5xx sway bar glitch, unplugged-replugged all better
36,8xx front driveshaft rzeppa joint grenades (not surprised, just annoying to add to the mix) sway bar light is blinking again (reboot didnt fix it this time) and rear locker won't disengage

Almost like chrysler built a timer into the computer code to start failing after 36,000 miles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-05-2009, 07:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to .:eMETAL:. Send a message via Yahoo to .:eMETAL:.

we all fear the reaper on this one.

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

post #3 of 14 Old 09-05-2009, 09:07 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
Almost like chrysler built a timer into the computer code to start failing after 36,000 miles.
That's why I sell mine at 30K. Seriously, try cleaning out the sway bar harness--carefully. I use brake cleaner.

Sorry to say, the rear locker is just a matter of time. I have been talking to the service manager at our local dealership about what we might do to keep the magnets working longer. The Rubi diffs seem to get HOT and cook the fluid within 8-10K miles (on ours, anyway). LSD additive? Quicker changes? User problems, like not stopping to engage? May be years before we figure it out.

Front shaft, well just consider it an "upgrade opportunity".

Nena Barlow

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 09-05-2009, 09:41 PM
Rock God

Thats why I got the Sahara edition I was worried about the lockers and and the sway bar issues.

Kevin M.
2008 JK Sahara Unlimited, 3.8L, 3.5" Rubicon Express lift with (5) 35/70R17s' BFG KM2s' on Pro Comp Xtreme Alloys 7069 Series, Red Rock, Crystal Pearl, Galaxy CB Radio, Hella FF lights, Smittybilt XRC front and rear bumpers, Xenon Flat Fenders, 12K Mile Marker winch, front and rear Rugged Ridge diff guards, Mopar slush mats, and Vision X led rock lights, IPF 920H4 JK Headlights, Superchips flashpac, River Raider rock sliders, front/rear Coast 1310 driveshafts

post #5 of 14 Old 09-05-2009, 11:34 PM
Granite Guru

exactly why I bought an x... rubicons are too fancy, way too much stuff to go wrong.
post #6 of 14 Old 09-06-2009, 08:11 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:eMETAL:. View Post
we all fear the reaper on this one.
x2. I bought the extended warranty hoping I could trick my JK into breaking down before the warranty actually goes up.

jk-forum, jk-forum.com jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #7 of 14 Old 09-06-2009, 08:30 AM
Alec W

I haven’t read about many locker problems, however my actuator broke at about 15K. Hummmmm….
post #8 of 14 Old 09-06-2009, 08:34 AM
Banned

Im 50k miles into it and so far (knock on wood) nothing but leaking axle seals. Granted I bought a sahara w/ out all the gadgets and gizmos. When I do lock the rear it's going to be an OX and will likely put a lunchbox in the front and call it done.

Sucks Venom. Nothing quite as depressing as when the Jeep starts crapping out all at once.

Last edited by karnuvore; 09-06-2009 at 10:36 AM.
post #9 of 14 Old 09-06-2009, 08:54 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to sniper41

Yeah, I've got nothing fancy on mine either and only 8K on the mileage and no real issues yet? knock, knock!! Sorry to hear about yours and wondering when mine will start!

Doug 08 4dr X 6 spd Det Yellow
You are a load that should have been swallowed, but someone as bitter as you are probably would have been spat out. Ahh Dancin Dan
Jersey
Crew
post #10 of 14 Old 09-06-2009, 10:02 AM
Rock God

Best of luck to you. I just passed the 36K mark, and (Knock on wood) No problems yet. I did purchase the extended warranty when I bought her, so now is when that money is going to pay off. Hopefully.

08 Unlimited Steel Blue
All Sorts of Crap on it

In the space of about 30 seconds, this man was in a car accident, an explosion, lit aflame and then kicked in the balls with more force than a human foot can technically take.

Future terrorists take note: this is your retirement package.
post #11 of 14 Old 09-07-2009, 10:29 AM
JKO Addict!

Ouch. Good luck man. The rear locker seems to be the ugliest one of the list but go figure, nothing until that warranty expires.

Conspiracy I say!

----------------
Now playing: Project Pitchfork - The Animal (Youthsad Mix)
via FoxyTunes
post #12 of 14 Old 09-07-2009, 06:49 PM
Granite Guru

Maybe there's a JK of the month curse.
post #13 of 14 Old 09-07-2009, 07:58 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep School View Post
That's why I sell mine at 30K. Seriously, try cleaning out the sway bar harness--carefully. I use brake cleaner.

Sorry to say, the rear locker is just a matter of time. I have been talking to the service manager at our local dealership about what we might do to keep the magnets working longer. The Rubi diffs seem to get HOT and cook the fluid within 8-10K miles (on ours, anyway). LSD additive? Quicker changes? User problems, like not stopping to engage? May be years before we figure it out.

Front shaft, well just consider it an "upgrade opportunity".
Its not just the Rubi diffs that cook the fluid...my D30 up front runs at the correct temperature, but my mechanic says my D44 runs too hot...we have been blaming it on the bad LSD, but maybe not...I am putting an ARB in, hope I don't cook it, lol...

2007 Jeep Wrangler X, Auto, Hardtop, White, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME HD springs, Rusty's Adj. F/R trac-bars, Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Rear Swaybar Extensions, PolyPerformance UCAs f/r, Rusty's LCAs f/r, 33x12.5 BFG KM2s, ProComp 15x8 Rockcrawlers, Smitty winch, Body Armor Front Bumper, FLW SS rear bumper, OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Skid Row Engine and Tranny Skid, Member UFWD & BRC, †John 3:16†
post #14 of 14 Old 09-08-2009, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

nothing new here- JK with high lift + 35" tires + lots of miles and wheeling = Name:  ds.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  44.7 KB

surprisingly, my driveshafts have held up a LOT better than I figured they would!
as long as I can keep scoring stockers for next to nothing, I'll keep running them I guess!

I had figured this one would die twisted in half, it was deeply scored in 2 places from contact with the skid plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode