Back in the shop.... AGAIN! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 09-03-2009, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Send a message via AIM to jocrazy0
Angry Back in the shop.... AGAIN!

Well, I was on my way to Nevada to visit some of MichaelW's favorite haunts.... and the ding-ding-ding-sputter-stall check engine light stopped that little jaunt. 80 miles from home. Well after a few anxious moments, I restarted it and turned around and headed back home. 20 miles later....ding-ding-ding. Pull, shut off, wait, restart. Made it home and took it in.

The verdict (I could have told them that!) is the crank position sensor is bad. (could explain the excessive crank time.... yah think?) And my exhaust leek they didn't fix last time? Now it is the exhaust manifold is cracked.

I have 67,000+ miles on this vehicle at 34 months. And in that 34 months, 3 of them have the vehicle in the shop. I think the honeymoon is over. In hindsight, I should have just saved the money up, forgot the supercharger and extended warranty, and bought a hemi upgrade. Only 3 more payments and this pile of broken parts is mine. hah.

2007 Rubicon, Graystone, Auto, Dual, Power, Tow,GENTEX autodim mirror,COOL TECH antenna mount&exhaust,CIBIE,HELLA TPMS,AEM CAI, Fuel Door, Grab Handles,Tuffy,Thule,Olympic,HESCO Supercharger, HID, RR XHD FB w/stinger,DRAKE hoodlatch with locks
1972 C104 Commando - Bone stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-03-2009, 03:06 PM
Rock God

Garage

so with the supercharger are they still going to validate ur extened warrenty?

09 4dr rubi-3" teraflex-35x12.50 km2s-17" xd addicts-kc 100 watt slimlights on kc brackets-riddlers-S.B.S. plug-orfab e-disco skid-Rugged Ridge stubby stinger-xrc-10 comp-Finishlinewest Gen 4.0!
post #3 of 9 Old 09-03-2009, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

It looks like they will this service trip due to that little phrase "Magnuson-Moss Act". They reached someone at Chrysler that understood what that means and that person told the dealer they would have to prove the SC did the damage. The crankshaft position sensor would be impossible... that one had been previously replace under warranty and that is a computer input not associated with the SC. The exhaust manifold is different, my contention is when they replaced the exhaust gaskets last month (under warranty) they improperly installed the manifold and caused it to crack. But I won't find out until I pick it up tomorrow. We'll see. If it was a broken piston, burned valve, blown head gasket, or the like, I'd say O.K., you have a point, the SC is responsible. In this case? One isn't and one might be arguable.

2007 Rubicon, Graystone, Auto, Dual, Power, Tow,GENTEX autodim mirror,COOL TECH antenna mount&exhaust,CIBIE,HELLA TPMS,AEM CAI, Fuel Door, Grab Handles,Tuffy,Thule,Olympic,HESCO Supercharger, HID, RR XHD FB w/stinger,DRAKE hoodlatch with locks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-03-2009, 08:23 PM
Rock God

Garage

see the dealer i got it it from is really cool but its a bit of a drive. the ones that service it are pissy bout everything...even when i asked about diff covers.

09 4dr rubi-3" teraflex-35x12.50 km2s-17" xd addicts-kc 100 watt slimlights on kc brackets-riddlers-S.B.S. plug-orfab e-disco skid-Rugged Ridge stubby stinger-xrc-10 comp-Finishlinewest Gen 4.0!
post #5 of 9 Old 09-03-2009, 09:01 PM
Rock God

Send a message via AIM to NYJKGUY

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocrazy0 View Post
Well, I was on my way to Nevada to visit some of MichaelW's favorite haunts.... and the ding-ding-ding-sputter-stall check engine light stopped that little jaunt. 80 miles from home. Well after a few anxious moments, I restarted it and turned around and headed back home. 20 miles later....ding-ding-ding. Pull, shut off, wait, restart. Made it home and took it in.

The verdict (I could have told them that!) is the crank position sensor is bad. (could explain the excessive crank time.... yah think?) And my exhaust leek they didn't fix last time? Now it is the exhaust manifold is cracked.

I have 67,000+ miles on this vehicle at 34 months. And in that 34 months, 3 of them have the vehicle in the shop. I think the honeymoon is over. In hindsight, I should have just saved the money up, forgot the supercharger and extended warranty, and bought a hemi upgrade. Only 3 more payments and this pile of broken parts is mine. hah.
How did u know that the exhaust manifold was cracked were u getting a tapping noise on a cold start up that would go away o ce the car warmed up cause i have a noise like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeatenPath View Post
i dont really want to look at filthy girls anyway
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Man that blows. Its strange how lots of them are problem free. And then some are issue ridden and yet others catch on fire. Pretty crazy stuff.

Good luck with your issues.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 9 Old 09-08-2009, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Well, everything was fine up until last year when I had the problem (I think) with bad gas purchased in Colorado. That's when I had a plug melt and gap close. That set me back a few hundred plus the cost of spending extra days in Gallup New Mexico waiting for the dealer to open (happened on a Saturday - naturally. Murphy says so!) Since then stuff has been steadily going downhill from there.

I have put another 20,000 miles on the vehicle since then. So far this year I have:

- Right O2 sensor (#1 of 2)
- Right exhaust repair (manifold to downpipe separation).
- Rear differential (locker broken)
- Front differential (locker broken)
- Transfer case shift lever cable broken
- Left exhaust leak (manifold to downpipe separation)
- Belt (normal wear, was cracking)
- Windshield (not Chrysler's fault, but still a repair)
- Battery (two - the original failed late last year before the Moab trip. The replacement failed earlier this year. I had the electrical system checked and found no problems)

This last trip:

- Crankshaft position sensor
- Right O2 sensor (#2 of 2)
- Right Catalytic 1&2
- Left exhaust manifold (cracked - I think the tech cracked it when they replaced the exhaust manifold gaskets on a previous trip)
- High pressure fuel hose (outer covering cracked and pinhole leak in the inner one dripped fuel on the intake manifold. I think this was damaged when they were working on the right exhaust leak. $7/ft for 2ft of fuel hose, a couple of fuel injection hose clamps and 30 minutes fixed it.)

The differentials I figure failed up in Moab last year, but I hadn't been offroad seriously since last summer and I just found out on a trip earlier this year. The exhaust leaks I have been fighting for three trips. Those are finally fixed. The catalytic converters were identified as questionable last year but I didn't have them replaced. This year the dealer offered to replace them under warranty, so I said OK.

I now have almost 68,000 miles on the JK and figure I'll push over 70,000 by the time I make my final loan payment in December.

Some thoughts here are:

1) The engine and transmission mechanically have held up under the supercharger rather well (over 53,000 supercharged miles). The differentials and exhaust - not so much.

2) A really heavy trailer to tow (pushing the max GVW for trailer AND jeep) has pushed the limits of the JK. I wish daily for more power when towing. I can guess Chrysler's design decision in single engine selection (in not decimating their CAFE ratings), but I also curse them continually for that decision.

3) If they'd offered the diesel from the factory, I would have gone with that.

4) If they'd offered the Hemi from the factory I would have picked that one second.

5) I would have picked ANY larger engine than the one it came with.

6) In hindsight, I should have saved my money (supercharger PLUS the extended warranty) and just gone with the aftermarket hemi.

Last edited by jocrazy0; 09-08-2009 at 04:46 PM. Reason: more info
post #8 of 9 Old 09-08-2009, 05:32 PM
Granite Guru

Sounds like you beat the piss out of this rig, and, really, with the overall consensus of what you said, I would of bought something else. Not too many vehicles out there that you can push to its limits, in addition to adding a supercharger on a motor not designed for such, and not expect to be doing major repairs & maintenance. I'm not knockin you, just saying.......

2008 Red Rock Rubicon Unltd 6spd dual top
post #9 of 9 Old 09-09-2009, 05:31 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule'Con View Post
Sounds like you beat the piss out of this rig, and, really, with the overall consensus of what you said, I would of bought something else. Not too many vehicles out there that you can push to its limits, in addition to adding a supercharger on a motor not designed for such, and not expect to be doing major repairs & maintenance. I'm not knockin you, just saying.......
haha, well said!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode