My 4 Wheel Parts "Experience" - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 12-06-2013, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

My 4 Wheel Parts "Experience"

Firstly, I should have known better.

I took my Jeep Wrangler to 4 Wheel parts to have a wobbling front steering looked at. My service reps name was Dave. They found a couple of problems. A heim joint was bad on the trackbar, and the ball joints were bad. OK, I said, please order the parts, and let me know the price. I will probably do the ball joint install myself as I though the shop price was too high. They also called back about 3-4 days later saying that they were waiting on a part, and that my brakes in the front worn and I needed to think about replacement. I also said OK, call me back with a price on the brake upgrade kit.

4 Wheel kept my jeep for 2 weeks. I called to get a status and found out was going on. They had installed the ball joints, and the new brake rotors and pads. I didn’t authorize any of this work. I called and told Dave in no uncertain terms that I was not going to pay for the labor as I didn’t authorize the repairs. He said that he would talk to his mgr, Jeremy about the issue. I also asked that since they did do the joints that would they do an alignment. He said that they would.

I picked the vehicle up on a Saturday. It had the following problems.

The front was still wobbly at speed.

The steering wheel was not straight.

I immediately took the Jeep back and they didn’t have any time to look at or fix the issue. Their comment was that the bolts holding my drag-link were too rusty and they were afraid of breaking them. I said OK, and they gave me a bottle of PB Blaster to apply to the bolts to loosen them up. I also agreed to pay of the labor cost, as they did do the work, and I thought that was fair.

I took the Jeep home and adjusted the wheel myself with no problems. I also discovered that the toe-in angle was not set correctly. It leads me to believe that they didn’t do an alignment. This was confirmed by another shop.

Then about a week later after picking the jeep up from 4 wheel parts I noticed gear oil coming from the driver’s side of the front axle, indicating that the seal was torn. This was not the case when I gave them the Jeep for repair.

4 Wheel parts also still had the Heim joint on order for me. I continued to call Dave, but at this point he wouldn’t return my calls, or when I tracked him down wouldn’t talk for more than 2 mins.

He wouldn’t look at the front seal issue. Honestly after this entire ordeal I have no interest in having this company lay their hands on my vehicle again.

I don't trust this company, and it's employees. It would be nice if they would fix my front seal that was damaged during the installation of the ball joints that was performed by 4 wheel parts that i didn't authorize. At this point I don't expect anything.

At this point shame on me, and anyone have a good writeup on front seal repair?

Flames may now commence.

08' Rubi 4-door. Baby Hauler, even in 2ft of snow...
3.5" Rock Krawler, and 35's.

94' XJ 4.5" RE OX front and Rear, 33's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-06-2013, 08:52 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

I think it all depends on which store you go to. I hear good things from some stores and horror stories like yours from other stores. After my shipping fucking disaster with them. I have no use to even order parts from them any longer.

next time you have issues why don't you get on here and ask for some advice? Also check out the writeup section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-06-2013, 10:15 AM
Rock God

Garage

If the axle wasn't level when they pulled the axle shafts, then some gear oil may have spilled over into the tube and it just took a while for it to seep out. So unless you are constantly having to refill the diff, I wouldn't worry about that part.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 12-06-2013, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I did refill the diff, it didn't take that much, but then again I don't drive it that often either. The wife has it for a week or so, I'll check it again then.

And Yes, I'll look on the forum more often, another day older and wiser.

08' Rubi 4-door. Baby Hauler, even in 2ft of snow...
3.5" Rock Krawler, and 35's.

94' XJ 4.5" RE OX front and Rear, 33's
post #5 of 9 Old 12-06-2013, 02:30 PM
JKO Addict!

When I removed the shafts to do my ball joints. The passenger seal leaked for a couple weeks and then stopped.
Keep a eye on it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #6 of 9 Old 12-06-2013, 03:00 PM
Rock God

They talked me into letting them do my gears because "they had the most experienced JK mechanic in town." After the first time using the lockers of course they made the most common mistake in doing JK gears by screwing up the plunger. It took me 2 seconds of searching on here to know what was wrong but they blew off the internet as an untrustworthy source of information and I had to drive it back from Castle Rock 3 times for them to finally get it right. Actually, the last time I told them to send a tow truck and pick it up because I was tired of driving an hour each way and trying to find a ride back and forth each time. Now I'm 2000 miles away and my rear end has started making weird noises and I'm sure its going to cost me a bunch more money. Oh, and when I asked about their "most experienced mechanic" they said Oh, he didn't do the work on this one.

2007 Rubi Unlimited. Teraflex 2.5 lift + Fox shocks, Nitto Trail Grappler 35s on XD Addicts, 5.38s, Ten Factory rear shafts, Riddler diff covers, Purejeep front axle truss and Teraflex gussets, Tatton front driveline, Rugged Ridge Modular front bumper with XRC8 Comp winch, Superchips programmer, Volant intake, MBRP exhaust, Hella H4 headlight conversion, Body Armor "not so Extreme" Rock Rails, in-cab winch control,Best Top Trek Top.-Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-06-2013, 04:03 PM
Rock God

Before going in to have the wobble looked at, why didn't you check those things yourself?
post #8 of 9 Old 12-06-2013, 08:10 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
I think it all depends on which store you go to.
THIS. All of the guys at the Colorado Springs store are super nice, helpful, and willing to bend over backwards to help out the customers. I'm pretty much on a first name basis with the sales reps, and the mechanics out back always do top notch work. Last time my rig was there was for an alignment after taco'ing my tie rod and tracbar. Apparently my own adjustments were so close to factory that all they had to do was straighten the steering wheel, and they didn't charge me anything.

Like the Gunny said, it just depends on the store.

"Drink your school. Stay in drugs. Don't do milk."
~SoCo

"Not that I'm an elitist or anything, I just get sick of waving to soccer moms and getting nothing back."
~ Shammy O'Shea
post #9 of 9 Old 12-07-2013, 05:55 AM
Granite Guru

Agreed about your mileage may vary with your local 4wp. The local one here in Albuquerque is good. It all depends on the store manager and the main mechanic. The sales guys are on a revolving door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode