Exhaust Rust... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 02-19-2008, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Exhaust Rust...

One of the things that prompted me to get a Magna Flow was the tell tale rust on the right side of the exhaust where it mates up with the exhaust tip...I've noticed it on many JK's, and some don't have the problem. I had scrubbed mine, put naval jelly on them, used tarn-x, steel wooled the puppy, and all I got was rust, and not just a stain as some on other boards have suggested...anyone else have this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Rock God

I've got the rust on mine as well. I havn't tried anything to get rid of it though. I'm hoping to do a muffler relocation soon, but might give one of those Hushpower HP-2 mufflers a shot just to see what one of them sounds like.

SOLD-08 Unlimited X, "jeep green", auto, limited slip, hushpower muffler, Aerotech Interceptor gauge,Powerstroke tranny cooler, skidrow evap skid, AFE Pro 7 filter, Teraflex leveling kit, EVO control arm skids, 15x8 Black Rock 909's, 33" KM2's
post #3 of 10 Old 07-08-2008, 08:31 AM
Rock God

Garage

I've got some pretty serious rust, as in, raised and textured appearing all over the muffler.

Then again, I spend a good deal of time on the beach with all of that salt spray going around. Anything that isn't painted rusts fast underneath there. My fuel skid has taken on this beautiful shade of red/orange.

!c
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-08-2008, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Having read some on this very subject after I posted this many months ago, I found that some surface rust is actually good for the type of stainless that's used in this muffler...in fact, I understand it's to be expected...anyway, I still think it looks like $hit on a new vehicle.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-08-2008, 04:15 PM
Rock God

thats kinda what I figured. I don't think I've seen a factory exhaust system, atleast on something newer, that wasn't stainless. They all get some kind of rust on them. The odd part though is that I have it on the muffler, but nothing else on the exhaust system. The tubing has turned kinda a brown color from a little surface rust, but the muffler acutally has little spots of rust built up all over it. Isn't 409 the lower grade of stainless, and 304 is the good stuff, usually what an aftermarket system is made of when its all polished up?

SOLD-08 Unlimited X, "jeep green", auto, limited slip, hushpower muffler, Aerotech Interceptor gauge,Powerstroke tranny cooler, skidrow evap skid, AFE Pro 7 filter, Teraflex leveling kit, EVO control arm skids, 15x8 Black Rock 909's, 33" KM2's
post #6 of 10 Old 07-08-2008, 06:29 PM
Rock God

A can of high temp spray bomb does wonders to make the exhaust area clean looking on my JK. In fact living in ohio I douse the entire undercarrige with spray bomb once a year to guard against rust.

My 99 TJ still looked new after 110k miles and Ohio salty winters.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-17-2008, 09:43 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustoff '68 View Post
One of the things that prompted me to get a Magna Flow was the tell tale rust on the right side of the exhaust where it mates up with the exhaust tip...I've noticed it on many JK's, and some don't have the problem. I had scrubbed mine, put naval jelly on them, used tarn-x, steel wooled the puppy, and all I got was rust, and not just a stain as some on other boards have suggested...anyone else have this issue?
Who cares about a few droplets of rust....jeezzuzzhcristo...is that what owning a Jeep is all about.......Sorry Dusty I couldn't resist

Yeah ours began discoloring in the same area, like it's extra hot in that spot just before the exit. Plus there were rust spots starting. They say it's a 4xx (can't remember the series) stainless. It is expected to get a "protective" coating of rust:. If they are going to put that big can back there it should be a better grade of SS IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prope View Post
A can of high temp spray bomb does wonders to make the exhaust area clean looking on my JK. In fact living in ohio I douse the entire undercarrige with spray bomb once a year to guard against rust.

My 99 TJ still looked new after 110k miles and Ohio salty winters.
Great idea. I did the BBQ paint from Walmart. It's flat black and once it dries the muffler just vanishes. I always disliked the look of that big silver muffler from day one. Looks great so far and seems to be holding up well after a month.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.

Last edited by gold knight; 07-17-2008 at 09:47 AM.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-18-2008, 04:32 PM
Wheeler

They do get very hot in that area. I believe that its because they (JK's) do tend to run on the lean side of things.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-07-2008, 10:16 AM
JKowners Vendor

If anybody's interested, I've got a bunch of take-off mufflers. $25 plus packing and shipping. If anybody's interested, I'll then figure out how / how much to package them.

[email protected]

Woods Storage Tub Enlargement Kit - Steering Stabilizer Relocation Kit - Evap Can Relocation Kit Muffler Relocation Kit - Tailgate Shock Kit
Buy Woods Kits at:
post #10 of 10 Old 08-07-2008, 10:55 AM
Rock God

400 series will rust, 300 series will not.

/jl

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode