First ORH top failure? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 08-01-2009, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom
First ORH top failure?

Well I think this is the first major failure for an ORH top, at least the first I've heard of.
Even then, it wasn't too bad and was an easy fix. - this post is more of a "heads up".
Bearing in mind I got the 2nd or third top ever sold and its been in the blazing TX sun since I got it and dealt with winds in excess of 70MPH in more than one storm, I had a crucial part fail on the highway today.

The plastic rings in the back that the main tension straps run to both detonated on the highway at about 75 MPH, the resulting vacuum "pop" when the top popped up popped my ears! (thats a lotta pops in one sentence)
One side probably failed and the extra stress broke the other, but they both went pretty much together.
But the top did stay relatively in place, the parts over the rear doors that attach to the framework held and the top didnt balloon or flutter all out of control - just an initial pop then the straps let go and then some extra wind noise till I got pulled over.

Luckily I had a couple of carabiners with me - one on my keyring and one on the dog lead that made a perfect fix - this is probably going to be my permanent fix, just gotta get a pair of black ones.

Anyway just a warning to those of us that got the first ones, looks like they're getting to "that age" where if they've had a lot of UV exposure, the plastic may be starting to get brittle.
If you have an old one, I would recommend picking up a couple of carabiners and throwing them in the glove box just in case, or being proactive and swapping them out.

Here are the obligatory pics (yeah its filthy, I've been wheeling a LOT lately )....
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-01-2009, 08:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I bet you pooped a little.....

I might just replace the plastic ones with some stainless screw links or a pair of caribiners. I have never liked how they bunch up right there anyway. I would be interested in hearing what Ed/Tim has to say about them.

He said that he has bigger plastic drings back there now.

Thanks for the post!

Go wash that thing already!

For those who have bought one recently.. .is the Dring bigger than this one?

Last edited by Mr.RonGilbert; 08-01-2009 at 08:49 PM.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-01-2009, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RonGilbert View Post
I bet you pooped a little.....
My browneye definitely sucked up some seat cushion for a half a sec!

I figured it out pretty quick when I saw the strap flying around in the rearview, but there was an instant head/swivel situation check after the POP!

I was on my way back to the property to tip over a couple more oil tanks n catch some more rattlers - ended up not tipping the tanks (prop owner changed his mind) but did end up with a baby diamondback anyway

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-02-2009, 09:01 AM
Alec W

Thanks for the heads up. Mine can’t be far from going, I think I’ll do the same as you beforehand. I don’t like "pops", last time it happened to me it was a wheel!
post #5 of 11 Old 08-02-2009, 09:58 AM
Rock God

Must have been fun. I might go the proactive route also. To answer your question about the bigger D-rings - no mine appear to be the same size and my top is 2 months old. And the strap is all one size - the wider diameter that is above the clip.

Ron - 2010 Wrangler JK Sport 4dr - Dark Charcoal
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" Jimmy Buffet

post #6 of 11 Old 08-02-2009, 10:55 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
Must have been fun. I might go the proactive route also. To answer your question about the bigger D-rings - no mine appear to be the same size and my top is 2 months old. And the strap is all one size - the wider diameter that is above the clip.

Thanks.... it looks like he did make the size of the strap bigger (mine vs Venom's)... .that is what I emailed him about... about changing the size of the d-ring to match the size of the strap so it wouldn't bunch up as bad in the curve. I am glad that it is a bigger strap, just need to shore up the weak point.

The ORH dude has taken a beating - big time on the other forum and a bit over here - until now all has been about the lack of communication from Ed/Tim. This the first of any actual problem that I have seen about the top, and like V said - it's an easy fix.

Good idea to be proactive and upgrade that Dring.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-02-2009, 12:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RonGilbert View Post
The ORH dude has taken a beating - big time on the other forum and a bit over here - until now all has been about the lack of communication from Ed/Tim. This the first of any actual problem that I have seen about the top, and like V said - it's an easy fix.

Good idea to be proactive and upgrade that Dring.
well my name is Tim, I can start answering for the other Tim
post #8 of 11 Old 08-02-2009, 04:13 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
Well I think this is the first major failure for an ORH top, at least the first I've heard of.
Even then, it wasn't too bad and was an easy fix. - this post is more of a "heads up".
Bearing in mind I got the 2nd or third top ever sold and its been in the blazing TX sun since I got it and dealt with winds in excess of 70MPH in more than one storm, I had a crucial part fail on the highway today.

The plastic rings in the back that the main tension straps run to both detonated on the highway at about 75 MPH, the resulting vacuum "pop" when the top popped up popped my ears! (thats a lotta pops in one sentence)
One side probably failed and the extra stress broke the other, but they both went pretty much together.
But the top did stay relatively in place, the parts over the rear doors that attach to the framework held and the top didnt balloon or flutter all out of control - just an initial pop then the straps let go and then some extra wind noise till I got pulled over.

Luckily I had a couple of carabiners with me - one on my keyring and one on the dog lead that made a perfect fix - this is probably going to be my permanent fix, just gotta get a pair of black ones.

Anyway just a warning to those of us that got the first ones, looks like they're getting to "that age" where if they've had a lot of UV exposure, the plastic may be starting to get brittle.
If you have an old one, I would recommend picking up a couple of carabiners and throwing them in the glove box just in case, or being proactive and swapping them out.

Here are the obligatory pics (yeah its filthy, I've been wheeling a LOT lately )....
Fast thinking with the Dring fix....always good to have on hand.

"All wranglers are jeeps, not all jeeps are wranglers"

"Holding out for the Pentastar in 2012"
post #9 of 11 Old 08-02-2009, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2run View Post
Fast thinking with the Dring fix....always good to have on hand.
Thanks
I was on the side of the road for about 5 min before I got underway, took me a sec to remember I had a 2nd one on the dog lead

for what it's worth, I just went back and looked, it looks like I got my ORH top back in january of 2008, so its been on for about a year and a half now
that was too much west texas UV rays for the plastic rings to absorb I guess

Quote:

Last edited by venom; 08-02-2009 at 04:45 PM.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-26-2009, 09:55 AM

So, what are the major differances between the ORH top and the Trektop? I know some people complain about customer serivce, but I am just interested in the product. Water Tightness? Additional Framing? Time/Ease of takedown?
post #11 of 11 Old 08-26-2009, 11:05 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab68 View Post
So, what are the major differances between the ORH top and the Trektop? I know some people complain about customer serivce, but I am just interested in the product. Water Tightness? Additional Framing? Time/Ease of takedown?
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4297
Check this thread out and get ahold of hitmoney since he has run both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode