exhaust leak? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 07-18-2009, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

exhaust leak?

ok so I have heard the stories of the bolts on the collector coming loose. My 08 X has the leaky exhaust sound, sound exactly like my buddys TJ when his manifold was missing 2 bolts. Anyway had it to the dealer twice for oil changes (that they screwed up) an asked them to check it out. Long story short same guy worked on it an told me the sound is normal due to some breather in the exhaust system to let out water for rust avoidance. This sounds like a load of BS to me so I figured I would check with you folks. Also if you post some pix of which bolts/how to get to them I need to check that would be great... I would love throw this in the dealers face along with the 2 botched oil changes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-19-2009, 09:44 AM
JKowners Vendor

What a crock! The rattle sound is likely to be one or both of the following:

1. Check the bolts on the manifold on the passenger side of the motor. Don't have photos right now, but they are pretty easy to spot and get a wrench on. Look on the side of the block, where the big curvy molded metal thing meets the big blocky thing.

2. There are numerous heat shields on the JK. Any one of a thousand of them could be rattling--usually a hose clamp can fix that.

I have to hand it to the tech who came up with that story--why go with a simple solution, when you can find something really complicated and expensive? I should say that we had one JK in (out of the 100 we have had) with a rattle--the dealer ended up replacing the entire exhaust system from stem to stern under warranty. ?

Happy trails!

Nena Barlow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

post #3 of 4 Old 07-19-2009, 03:26 PM
Rock God

Send a message via AIM to jocrazy0

Shoot. Mine had the first catalytic coming loose from the manifold on the right side and two broken bolts on the left. Two, count them, TWO FREEKING exhaust leaks. Both fixed under warranty, after deductible of course. And the left cost me $500 for the labor to remove & replace the supercharger components (a point I will vigorously debate when I pick it up. Even a half competent mechanic could do it in three. Sheesh. Methinks the dealer is trying to recoup some of his lost profit on warranty work. Of course it was a battle just to get them to do it as warranty work and not blame that also on the supercharger.)

2007 Rubicon, Graystone, Auto, Dual, Power, Tow,GENTEX autodim mirror,COOL TECH antenna mount&exhaust,CIBIE,HELLA TPMS,AEM CAI, Fuel Door, Grab Handles,Tuffy,Thule,Olympic,HESCO Supercharger, HID, RR XHD FB w/stinger,DRAKE hoodlatch with locks
1972 C104 Commando - Bone stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 07-19-2009, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

this "tech", and I use the term loosely in this case, even had the testicular fortitude to tell me these motors/vehicles havent had any problems with the exhaust system. I was about 3 seconds from giving him the url for about 3 different forums full of people with leaky exhausts!! I just grited my teeth and walked away mumbling every four lettered word known to man before I got the urge to unload on him. Man Im gettin better at this whole self control thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode