Hot in JK - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 07-02-2009, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hot in JK

At a 105 the AC can't cool the back seat area of the wrangler, I've tried a 12v fan and it doesn't help at all, with the top off all I get is hot air on the kids,can someone tell me why Chrysler want add insulation to the fiberglass hard top, why did they paint it black without adding insulation to the hard top?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 07-02-2009, 02:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

maybe you shold have got a mini van. you bought a vehicle that basically comes apart for fun. if they added insulation everyone would ***** because it was open cell foam and not closed cell foam, or the freedom panels are too heavy since they added the insulation. top off and you expect the ac to do anything more tan cool the infinity amp or your nuckles is retarted. I understand hot, I use my jeep for work, its hot. knew it when I got it but luxury and convince were not the reasons that I bought it.
post #3 of 36 Old 07-02-2009, 03:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Wow Rob that was really helpful You must have been in the heat too long today, huh?

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 07-02-2009, 03:12 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via MSN to VEGASSMAN Send a message via Yahoo to VEGASSMAN

It's getting into the 110's here.
I blast mine on full...recycle the air for more flow...I point the passenger side one at the side door pillar and the 2 centers angled between the seats.

My boy is in a safety seat on the passenger side. He seems to do ok so far.

I'm gonna limo tint the windows as soon as i replace my windshield!
post #5 of 36 Old 07-02-2009, 03:51 PM
Granite Guru

I just purchased some head liners for the front and back that is suppose to cool it off a little. I haven't received them yet but will post feedback when I do. Feels like my head is on fire when I get in the jeep in the summer and it's ONLY 99 today.
post #6 of 36 Old 07-02-2009, 03:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASSMAN View Post
It's getting into the 110's here.
I blast mine on full...recycle the air for more flow...I point the passenger side one at the side door pillar and the 2 centers angled between the seats.

My boy is in a safety seat on the passenger side. He seems to do ok so far.

I'm gonna limo tint the windows as soon as i replace my windshield!
Not as "temperature" hot here in Florida but I know where you are coming from. Definitely get the windows tinted. When my boys first get in the back they sweat for about 10 minutes before the temp gets to a respectable level. My wife and I use the outer vents and point the center vents straight ahead for the boys. Not much else you can do other than install a misting machine like Jason/WFTW did.
post #7 of 36 Old 07-02-2009, 08:00 PM
JKO Addict!

I know what I said was harsh, sorry. its just sooo many complain about the same things with the jk's that should have been thought out prior to purchase. and yes definitely in the heat too much lately.

I did paint my hard top stone white, same as the body. I only painted the very top so you cannot tell from the sides at all. everyone thinks that im full of sh!! but it netted me about 23-27 degrees difference at the inside surface using a fluke infared temp gun. and my head no longer sweats as it did before.

for those that said the soft top is cooler is full of crap. Im putting the hardtop back on tomorrow. and installing the carpet back in has helped as well. the tranny puts off tons of heat.

I ordered 2 3" marine blowers and waiting for them to come in. I plan on playing with mounting positions to see where the best place to mount them will be. once that is lined out I will be hunting some stock ac diffusers to fit into the inlet (glue to fix them in the straight position) and then on the outlet side to be able to aim them if need be.

I have a 6 month old son and a very ac spoiled french mastiff that does not like the heat. when she starts panting it looks like a firetruck has turned on the foaming agent. if no one else gets it, mr. ron will since he recently went to fire school. lol.

if you don't have ALL the windows tinted and a front eyebrow get them done it will help.

a rear ac may be my next project if it keeps getting hotter.
post #8 of 36 Old 07-02-2009, 08:05 PM
Granite Guru

When I was a kid my parent's car never had AC. I survived just fine with the windows open as will your kids.
post #9 of 36 Old 07-02-2009, 08:24 PM
JKO Addict!

There is a writeup somewhere on this board regarding insulating the hard top. I think window shades or that type of insulation were used to line the hard top. Maybe spray adhesive was used to adhere to the top.

I've owned a couple of chrysler vehicles and I haven't been happy with the AC. The heater on the other hand will cause third degree burns on your ankles.
post #10 of 36 Old 07-02-2009, 10:13 PM
Wheeler

Looking for same solution...

08 Silver 4 Door X - XD Bumpers - Slightly lifted, and some modest welding underneath... and a really loud stereo to block the wind noise

Last edited by JohnnyD; 07-02-2009 at 10:17 PM.
post #11 of 36 Old 07-03-2009, 04:01 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
When I was a kid my parent's car never had AC. I survived just fine with the windows open as will your kids.
X2

12 Rubi - Dozher - wifes jeep
04 LJ - nameless to protect the guilty - my jeep
14 Raptor - daily/tow rig
post #12 of 36 Old 07-03-2009, 04:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Has anyone looked into a pro putting headliner material on the inslide? The painting the top white would be a great idea once I'm lifted and can't see the top; it would drive ne nuts if I did it now.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.

Last edited by Broncojohn; 07-03-2009 at 06:30 AM.
post #13 of 36 Old 07-03-2009, 05:18 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubirobv View Post
I've owned a couple of chrysler vehicles and I haven't been happy with the AC. The heater on the other hand will cause third degree burns on your ankles.
x2,

Window tint helps unbelievably, i have about 20 in the front10 in the back 5 in the back back and it deff helps, still not cool though and still sweat in the florida heat but much nicer then b4
post #14 of 36 Old 07-03-2009, 05:34 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojohn View Post
Has anyone looked into a pro putting headliner material on the inslide? The paining the top white would be a great idea once I'm lifted and cant see the top; it would drive ne nuts if I did it now.
Nine was stock height when I did it and you couldn't see it, go to the other forum and look for my user name in the project jk gallery, plenty of pics. I can't get them off since i was banned. My camera fried and pics were lost or I would have them on here, sorry.

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

post #15 of 36 Old 07-03-2009, 08:16 AM
Rock God

Solution

Top liner available. This might solve your problem.

http://offroadheros.com/liner.html

"All wranglers are jeeps, not all jeeps are wranglers"

"Holding out for the Pentastar in 2012"
post #16 of 36 Old 07-03-2009, 08:32 AM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to kerryp Send a message via Skype™ to kerryp

Don't have any idea how much this stuff would cost, but it might be an option. Appy to both top and underside and it might do a good job of blocking the heat and I would assume you could do it any color you wanted.

http://www.eaglecoatings.net/content/supertherm.htm

ジープ
@CigarsNJeeps
post #17 of 36 Old 07-03-2009, 11:50 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow2run View Post
At a 105 the AC can't cool the back seat area of the wrangler, I've tried a 12v fan and it doesn't help at all, with the top off all I get is hot air on the kids,can someone tell me why Chrysler want add insulation to the fiberglass hard top, why did they paint it black without adding insulation to the hard top?
A lot of big windows and no insulation. Take the top off and crank the ac at the stop lights. I do anyway. Seriously, I know how you feel. I really like the sweat running from the back of my knees down to my ankles, but I'm use to land cruisers so, any cool air flowing out of the vents make me very happy!
post #18 of 36 Old 07-04-2009, 08:27 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubirobv View Post
There is a writeup somewhere on this board regarding insulating the hard top. I think window shades or that type of insulation were used to line the hard top. Maybe spray adhesive was used to adhere to the top.
That write up is on Jeep Forums. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=630701
post #19 of 36 Old 07-04-2009, 09:39 PM
Rock God

What Rob said is very true, if the top of your vehicle is white it will net some serious temperature reduction in the cab. This is why school buses have white roofs. Tinted windows will also reduce the cabin temp as well although not as much as having a white roof.

If you're not adverse to having a white roof then that will go a long way in making your AC more efficient. Since the white roof is reflecting a ton of ultra violet rays the roof isn't heating up as much as it would with the black roof. Since the roof isn't as hot it radiates much less heat and the AC doesn't have to work as hard to cool the cabin.

Good luck.

Those that the beast is looking for...
Listen in awe and you will hear him...
BARK AT THE MOON!

Last edited by MaloCS; 07-04-2009 at 09:46 PM.
post #20 of 36 Old 07-04-2009, 10:18 PM
Granite Guru

Garage
Heat!!!

Boy, for a while today I thought the a/c was going to quit. I had to turn the fan up and set the recirculate on. Coming accross Texas between Houston and San Antoinio the temp was 105 it cooled down to 102 at 8:15pm though.

Not used to this kind of heat being from Miami. Heading to Arizona and Vegas in the next few days hope the A/C holds up...

In Sincere Aiki Spirt,

AikiJuan

post #21 of 36 Old 07-04-2009, 11:51 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I used Dynamat Extreme and siliconed it to the hardtop. Then siliconed a sheet of black vinyl to the Dynamat,

http://www.dynamat.com/products_auto...roduction.html

Evo Coilovers, King Shocks & B-stops, R Dbl Throwdown System, 5:13, RE Driveshafts,
Rock Hard Skids. Viair Tank, LoD F&R Bumpers, PowerPlant, 3 Oddessy Batteries, Pro Comp 8128 17"
BFG T/A KO 37s, MasterPull Syn, sPOD, OTRATTW Switches, 12VOLTGUY.com Switchpanel, Woods Evap & Muff Relocate, Tailgate Holder
post #22 of 36 Old 07-05-2009, 08:14 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2run View Post
Top liner available. This might solve your problem.

http://offroadheros.com/liner.html
These are the one's I bought. Hope they work
post #23 of 36 Old 07-05-2009, 08:40 PM
JKowners Vendor

Don't overlook the floors, too. If you don't have carpet (or still do) make sure to put your drain plugs in and buy the $50 Mopar slush mats--it will help keep your underside at least 10 degrees cooler.

Nena Barlow

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

post #24 of 36 Old 07-06-2009, 02:27 PM
Rock God

Garage

Get in jeep
Drive north until you find frozen water on the ground
Buy a house with a wood stove

got Jeep got stuff, never enough of the right stuff tho

Am I in deep enough yet?
post #25 of 36 Old 07-08-2009, 07:49 AM
Rock God

Lower windows. Drive fast as hell. Well is a Jeep, i dont think u can go that fast lol.

JKOutcast Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode