My 4WD sucks bahwls. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 79 Old 06-21-2009, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Angry My 4WD sucks bahwls.

Need a little direction from the gearheads among us here. A very long story short, I found a guy who has a small field behind his house that he lets people use for wheeling practice (testing new lift kits, tires, etc) so I headed on down there, but immediately found that my 4WD indicator light isn't working. When I tried to engage 4HI, I got nothing but high revvs from the engine. Tranny was completely disengaged. I would think the 2WD would have worked, but she was completely DOA. After a few tries, I managed to get her into 4LO ...thanked GOD 4LO wasn't in a pissy mood or I would have had to leave my Jeep and hoof it outta where was. Managed to crawl back onto blacktop, but now I have NO confidence in my Jeep's 4WD capability.

WTF is the point of owning a Jeep if the 4WD takes a shiat right when I need it?

Anyone have the same problem? Is this just a loose cable, or am I headed to the stealership? Still VERY much under warranty (only 5998 Mi on the Jeep) so if this is an easy fix I can do myself, I'd prefer they keep they're muffkin grubby paws off my girl. If not, I'll bite the bullet and take 'er in.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 Old 06-21-2009, 11:04 AM
Openly Hostile

Take a looking at the bushing where the cable hooks up to the tcase, quite a few people have had that break as it is just a cheap piece of plastic.

Jason
post #3 of 79 Old 06-21-2009, 12:12 PM
JKO Addict!

I'd bet someone tried forcing it into 4-high and is complaining because something broke when it wasn't being used properly. Not saying the clips don't break, but the first time in 4wd? highly doubt it...If you managed to get it into 4-low with the shifter, i doubt the cable end broke completely. Sounds to me like maybe it was forced into 4-hi, slipped into neutral and being it was stopped he couldn't get it into either 4-hi or 4-lo. Until it rolled a little or he shut the engine off and it went.

Sorry but it sounds like a lack of experience with your vehicle, rather than the vehicles fault...6000 miles and the "4wd indicator light doesn't work and the Jeep that i've never put into 4wd's transfer case is messed up". Hmmm..

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Goodysgotacuda; 06-21-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 79 Old 06-21-2009, 12:34 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
I'd bet someone tried forcing it into 4-high and is complaining because something broke when it wasn't being used properly. Not saying the clips don't break, but the first time in 4wd? highly doubt it...If you managed to get it into 4-low with the shifter, i doubt the cable end broke completely. Sounds to me like maybe it was forced into 4-hi, slipped into neutral and being it was stopped he couldn't get it into either 4-hi or 4-lo. Until it rolled a little or he shut the engine off and it went.

Sorry but it sounds like a lack of experience with your vehicle, rather than the vehicles fault...6000 miles and the "4wd indicator light doesn't work and the Jeep that i've never put into 4wd's transfer case is messed up". Hmmm..
DITTO
Must be rolling to engage 4wd.
Do not force it.
post #5 of 79 Old 06-21-2009, 02:13 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by owtdorz View Post
DITTO
Must be rolling to engage 4wd.
Do not force it.
I didnt know you had to be rolling that is probrably why i broke the plastic clip on mine a few weeks ago......
post #6 of 79 Old 06-21-2009, 02:20 PM
Openly Hostile

Sometimes it needs to roll forward a bit to get it to go into 4 or 4lo. You should never have to force it into gear. With a manual its easy to let the clutch out and roll forward a bit if it doesn't want to go into 4lo sitting still.

Jason

Last edited by SDMF; 06-21-2009 at 02:23 PM.
post #7 of 79 Old 06-21-2009, 02:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankcrash View Post
I didnt know you had to be rolling that is probrably why i broke the plastic clip on mine a few weeks ago......
That little book they toss in the glove box when you buy it would tell ya. Owner's manual is full of useful information

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #8 of 79 Old 06-21-2009, 02:27 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

if I'm at a standstill or close to it, I always slap mine into neutral as I'm reaching for the t-case shifter
engages a LOT easier that way.

If I'm sittin still and need to engage it, I'll rock it a bit and drop it into neutral then hit the t-case shifter.

Gotta align them cogs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #9 of 79 Old 06-21-2009, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Banned

SMDF: Thanks. I'll give it a once over and see if that bushing is still intact.

Cuda:
There's so much retard in your post there, I'm just going to acknowledge that I read what you wrote and just walk away from that one You know what people say about the man who ASSumes, no? I guess not, or you might just knock it off.

Gosh, I gotta be moving to engage 4WD? Really? Whatever would I do without the expert advice I'm getting here? Shame I didn't get one of those handy dandy little books that explains that. Guess I'm prolly one of the few who actually read the damned thing BEFORE I tried to go wheeling in my Jeep. Thing is, even after following the fawking instructions, it did not work properly, hence the WTF post above. You fail. We are all now dumber for having read that. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul. JK-F is thataway, douchenozzle. ==>>

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #10 of 79 Old 06-21-2009, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Hey, 'Cuda, what say you step out and let the fellas with thousands of post under their belts give this one a whirl, eh? RTFM. That's your "expert" advice?

Seriously, if you can't be informative, or at least polite, do kindly STFU or GTFO.

post #11 of 79 Old 06-21-2009, 02:34 PM
JKO Addict!

I am a ASE Master Technician and BMW Master Technician. So actually yes. That is expert advice. Sorry my post count isn't up there champ. Enjoy your 2wd

You never said anything about not forcing the shifter, or using it before this time. So my ASSumption still holds with you not being familiar with the Jeep.

Last edited by Goodysgotacuda; 06-21-2009 at 02:37 PM.
post #12 of 79 Old 06-21-2009, 02:59 PM
Openly Hostile

Well, I'm no ASE Master Technician or BMW Master Technician, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once or twice.

btw, comparing post counts is completely meaningless.

Jason
post #13 of 79 Old 06-21-2009, 03:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMF View Post
Well, I'm no ASE Master Technician or BMW Master Technician, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once or twice.

btw, comparing post counts is completely meaningless.
Lol, I do agree on the post counts. Maybe I should tell the next M5 owner that I have 5,000 JKO posts rather than my credentials. Think that will go over well?

Better get to posting!

post #14 of 79 Old 06-21-2009, 03:04 PM
Openly Hostile

Quote:
Lol, I do agree on the post counts. Maybe I should tell the next M5 owner that I have 5,000 JKO posts rather than my credentials. Think that will go over well?

Better get to posting!
I also bet you don't start out by making fun of them and assuming they are stupid either.

Jason
post #15 of 79 Old 06-21-2009, 03:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMF View Post
I also bet you don't start out by making fun of them and assuming they are stupid either.
Gave my analogy on it, sounded like user error to me. Someone else did agree as well. I didn't call anyone stupid, nor make fun of them. Statements like "My 4wd sucks bahwls", "WTF is the point of owning a Jeep if the 4WD takes a shiat right when I need it" and "thanked GOD 4LO wasn't in a pissy mood", make it sound like someone isn't educated on what they are looking for. Are they looking for advice on the Jeep, or just ranting about something. If it's ranting, they're more likely to get a "practical" answer, rather than a technical one. Like I gave.

Last edited by Goodysgotacuda; 06-21-2009 at 03:14 PM.
post #16 of 79 Old 06-21-2009, 03:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

Whoa, easy there Dan
Go back and read your initial post.
Nowhere does it mention that you are a 4-wheeling expert and have memorized the owners manual!
If you just read it, it sounds like it could be a noob b1tching that he can't jam his t-case into 4-hi and make the little light come on.

If your case doesn't go all the way into 2wd,4-hi or 4-lo it's between gears and will sit and spin, you should know this already.
Sounds to me like thats what happened.

Next time try bumping the trans into neutral when shifting the t-case so the cogs can align easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #17 of 79 Old 06-21-2009, 03:31 PM
Openly Hostile

Quote:
Gave my analogy on it, sounded like user error to me. Someone else did agree as well. I didn't call anyone stupid, nor make fun of them. Statements like "My 4wd sucks bahwls", "WTF is the point of owning a Jeep if the 4WD takes a shiat right when I need it" and "thanked GOD 4LO wasn't in a pissy mood", make it sound like someone isn't educated on what they are looking for. Are they looking for advice on the Jeep, or just ranting about something. If it's ranting, they're more likely to get a "practical" answer, rather than a technical one. Like I gave.
touche.

Jason
post #18 of 79 Old 06-21-2009, 05:02 PM
Granite Guru

Since you quoted me. Ill throw in my own little deffence too..... Im to ****ing busy studying how to put soldiers back together so they can defend your right to be an ass to the same guys that would pull you out of a ditch and possibly even stitch you up your wounds with their aid bag.So sorry Im not goign to take time away from studying the little stuff like medicine and how to avoid getting my ass shot off to read every single detail in a users manual. Guess you got a lot of time on your hands to read the entire thing from losing all the customers I can imagine you talk down to jsut cause you are ASE Certified.

Oh and happy fathers day... Prick

And thanks but I dont need the Toche SDMF
post #19 of 79 Old 06-21-2009, 05:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankcrash View Post
Since you quoted me. Ill throw in my own little deffence too..... Im to ****ing busy studying how to put soldiers back together so they can defend your right to be an ass to the same guys that would pull you out of a ditch and possibly even stitch you up your wounds with their aid bag.So sorry Im not goign to take time away from studying the little stuff like medicine and how to avoid getting my ass shot off to read every single detail in a users manual. Guess you got a lot of time on your hands to read the entire thing from losing all the customers I can imagine you talk down to jsut cause you are ASE Certified.

Oh and happy fathers day... Prick

And thanks but I dont need the Toche SDMF

Your "deffence" is interesting, and for the majority totally unrelated. I mentioned it's in the owners manual and you rant about you serving the country. I do appreciate it, but what I said was taken way too seriously.... Now if you, in your head, are taking it for anything other than exactly what I said. Then that is on you. There is no "hey jackass" or "since you have nothing better to do" or anything like that in what I said.
Quote:
That little book they toss in the glove box when you buy it would tell ya. Owner's manual is full of useful information

No sense of humor on these boards. Next time i think of mentioning something is in the owners manual, i better make sure they aren't in the military studying in the field medical situations. (does that not sound pretty ridiculous?)

Last edited by Goodysgotacuda; 06-21-2009 at 05:11 PM.
post #20 of 79 Old 06-21-2009, 05:26 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Your "deffence" is interesting, and for the majority totally unrelated. I mentioned it's in the owners manual and you rant about you serving the country. I do appreciate it, but what I said was taken way too seriously.... Now if you, in your head, are taking it for anything other than exactly what I said. Then that is on you. There is no "hey jackass" or "since you have nothing better to do" or anything like that in what I said.

No sense of humor on these boards. Next time i think of mentioning something is in the owners manual, i better make sure they aren't in the military studying in the field medical situations. (does that not sound pretty ridiculous?)
yep your right I was way off base....
post #21 of 79 Old 06-21-2009, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Hmmm...

And this thread is why Dancin Dan normally doesn't drink whiskey during the day...

No hard feelins y'all. More I think about it, the more it seems like I made a rookie move by not allowing the cogs to align.

So, in order to help clear the air, this is how NOT to recover your jeep.
WARNING: some VERY NSFW language on this one around :36sec, so make the kiddies leave the room, or just hit the mute button.
YouTube - Jeep lost its top

post #22 of 79 Old 06-22-2009, 07:11 AM
Rock God

Mine was always easiest to shift when I threw it into park.

BEER Helping me do stupid things to my JK since 2007!
post #23 of 79 Old 06-22-2009, 07:34 AM
Granite Guru

This thread makes me chuckle.
post #24 of 79 Old 06-22-2009, 09:20 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
And this thread is why Dancin Dan normally doesn't drink whiskey during the day...

No hard feelins y'all. More I think about it, the more it seems like I made a rookie move by not allowing the cogs to align.

So, in order to help clear the air, this is how NOT to recover your jeep.
WARNING: some VERY NSFW language on this one around :36sec, so make the kiddies leave the room, or just hit the mute button.
YouTube - Jeep lost its top
That is a bunch of retar** WTF>

"All wranglers are jeeps, not all jeeps are wranglers"

"Holding out for the Pentastar in 2012"
post #25 of 79 Old 06-22-2009, 05:17 PM
Granite Guru

I hate to ask, but is there a more durable cable available aftermarket?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode