Sirius Reception - Seriously? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 Old 06-13-2009, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Sirius Reception - Seriously?

Anyone else have trouble with their Sirius Sat radio reception cutting out? Mine's so bad, if I drive under a bridge, or there are ANY trees overhead, it cuts out.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 06-13-2009, 08:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Satellite radio
post #3 of 44 Old 06-13-2009, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
Anyone else have trouble with their Sirius Sat radio reception cutting out? Mine's so bad, if I drive under a bridge, or there are ANY trees overhead, it cuts out.
If you block the sat signal, ie drive under a long underpass or large buildings, trees etc the radio will cut out after it uses all the buffer.

XM doesn't do this as much... XM invested in their signal, repeaters and such... Sirius invested in Howard Stern.

°lllll°

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook Page
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube Channel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 Old 06-13-2009, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I understand the whole blocking the sky blocks the signal, but my wife's acura has xm, and we NEVER have this problem, whereas I can't drive under an overpass @ 35mph w/o losing my signal.

FLICK you, Howard Stern.

So, anyone know if there's a fix? Can I boost the size of my buffer?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #5 of 44 Old 06-13-2009, 09:53 PM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
I understand the whole blocking the sky blocks the signal, but my wife's acura has xm, and we NEVER have this problem, whereas I can't drive under an overpass @ 35mph w/o losing my signal.

FLICK you, Howard Stern.

So, anyone know if there's a fix? Can I boost the size of my buffer?

In all seriousness, Its just the way it is... if you have too much buffer there would be alot of lag when you changed the channel on the radio I would think. Sirius Sucks.. I didn't renew.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #6 of 44 Old 06-13-2009, 10:29 PM
Wheeler

Both Sat radios in my Ram and Rubi have been cutting out non stop lately. Havent had this issue before
post #7 of 44 Old 06-14-2009, 05:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I had the problem in the Jeep a few months ago... but I found that the cradle that my sat unit sits in had gone bad. I tried swapping out the antenna's first then I bought a new base unit (Starmate 5) and it was still messing up - I changed out the cradle and it was good to go.

As far as bridges and trees go it is what it is.... it has to be "seeing" the signal sent from something about the size of a van at like 30,000 miles in outer space (I really have no clue.... just a wild ass guess really)

Sat radio kicks azz... I spend too much time out in the woods and on the road to try and find the right stations. Too easy with sat radio. The good outweighs the bad IMO
post #8 of 44 Old 06-14-2009, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RonGilbert View Post
I had the problem in the Jeep a few months ago... but I found that the cradle that my sat unit sits in had gone bad. I tried swapping out the antenna's first then I bought a new base unit (Starmate 5) and it was still messing up - I changed out the cradle and it was good to go.

As far as bridges and trees go it is what it is.... it has to be "seeing" the signal sent from something about the size of a van at like 30,000 miles in outer space (I really have no clue.... just a wild ass guess really)

Sat radio kicks azz... I spend too much time out in the woods and on the road to try and find the right stations. Too easy with sat radio. The good outweighs the bad IMO
Factory installed unit, you mean? I might have to look into this at my stealership. Much like the captain with the ship's wheel attached to his pecker....It's driving me nuts.

Hitmonkey:

Last edited by Dancin Dan; 06-14-2009 at 08:12 AM.
post #9 of 44 Old 06-14-2009, 07:26 AM
Banned

Sat radio cuts out when I get under a canopy of trees. I freaking love it otherwise. I havent listened to AM/FM since I bought the Jeep. I will be re-upping my sirius contract this month actually.

post #10 of 44 Old 06-14-2009, 12:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

The buffer is non existant in my radio. You'll drive under an over pass and it will cut out for a second just after you get out from under the bridge.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #11 of 44 Old 06-14-2009, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojohn View Post
The buffer is non existant in my radio. You'll drive under an over pass and it will cut out for a second just after you get out from under the bridge.
Yup. That's gotta go. I wonder if there's a means of getting memory or some sort of software that will increase the buffering speed so that when I do pass under an obstacle, I don't even notice the interruption. There hasta be a way to do this.

post #12 of 44 Old 06-14-2009, 07:58 PM
Granite Guru

I used to have that same problem with the Sirrius radio in the Jeep. I fixed the problem after the free year by not renewing.

Teraflex 4" Lift with 8 Flexarms - Mickey Thompson Classic Locks - 35" Goodyear MTR with Kevlar - Shrockworks Mid Width Front Bumper - Shrockworks Full Width Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier - SkidRow Oil/Tranny skid plate - Rock Hard 4x4 JK Evap Canister Skid Plate - Coast Front and Read Driveshaft - Teraflex Front/Rear Differential Covers - Superchip Flashpaq - Mile Marker 9500 - KC SlimLights - ARB on-board air/CB/Ham radio - Yukon 5.13 - Sleeved and Gussets
post #13 of 44 Old 06-14-2009, 10:40 PM
Granite Guru

My reception has gotten worse over the last few months. I dont even have to be going under a tree or a bridge. It does it mostly by my house, which is kind of a hilly area, but I do not know if that would make any difference. My wife's car has Sirius too, but without the signal interruptions.

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer - Frank Zappa

post #14 of 44 Old 06-15-2009, 07:23 AM
Granite Guru

Mine works fine.

09 Unlimited Silver Rubicon
Riddler Diff covers
Pro Comp 7005 17x9
35" BFG KM2s
AEV ProCal
MBRP black exhaust
Clayton 4.5 lift
Bilstein 5100 shocks
5.38 gears
Woods 1310 driveshafts
post #15 of 44 Old 06-15-2009, 10:37 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIZZ View Post
Mine works fine.
As does mine. In fact it was high on my list of "must haves" when I bought my Jeep.
post #16 of 44 Old 06-15-2009, 11:34 AM
Ipe
Rock God

I've got an XM head unit in both my JK and my wife's FJ. We've both niticed that reception has gotten a LOT worse since Sirius took over. Sirius brings the suck to everything tye touch imho.... They had crappy programming and brought it to XM making XM's programming worse. They have crappy reception and brought that to XM, making it worse. I don't know what else they're going to screw up but I'm not looking forward to it.

post #17 of 44 Old 06-15-2009, 01:13 PM
Wheeler

Mine works fine but I don't have the factory sirius. Yes It is all the same company now, But XM still works off their Satellites. Case in point: You cannot hook a XM ant to a Sirius radio It will not work and vice versa. It might have something to do with the placement of the ant the best spot is dead center of veh on top or the weather, extremely cloudy, That happens sometimes with sat t.v. in houses and gps. not often but sometimes.
post #18 of 44 Old 06-16-2009, 04:28 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrophil View Post
Mine works fine but I don't have the factory sirius. Yes It is all the same company now, But XM still works off their Satellites. Case in point: You cannot hook a XM ant to a Sirius radio It will not work and vice versa. It might have something to do with the placement of the ant the best spot is dead center of veh on top or the weather, extremely cloudy, That happens sometimes with sat t.v. in houses and gps. not often but sometimes.
Exactly! Yet somehow XM got worse when Sirrius took over. XM was about to go under before the merger. Sirrius must have been doing something right. I bought Sirrius when Howard Stern went over and now I will keep it even if he leaves because of the music programming.
post #19 of 44 Old 06-16-2009, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
Exactly! Yet somehow XM got worse when Sirrius took over. XM was about to go under before the merger. Sirrius must have been doing something right. I bought Sirrius when Howard Stern went over and now I will keep it even if he leaves because of the music programming.
Sure they were doing something "right". They were keeping all of the money we spend on subscriptions to themselves and not spending it on getting us better reception!

post #20 of 44 Old 06-16-2009, 11:01 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RonGilbert View Post
You sir are correct...about the van in space at least , your altitude was just a tiny bit off is all .

Here's the deal, unlike our standard geostationary satellite orbit of 22,300 miles high in line with the equator with a 1/3 view of the world, the Sirius satellites were strategically placed in an egg-shaped orbit looping from 14,900 miles at the low point to 29,200 miles at the high end, inclined 63.4 degrees to either side of the equator. Additionally the Sirius satellites were spread apart so that two are always in view of the U.S., and as one sets another one rises providing high enough angles of elevation to deliver seamlessness coverage, albeit may not be perfect as stated by the OP.

The rack metal obstructs mine at times, so I'm going to install a redudant sat-antenna elsewhere.

Last edited by SASQUATCH; 06-16-2009 at 11:04 AM.
post #21 of 44 Old 06-17-2009, 01:38 AM

Unfortunately, you can't increase the buffer. The buffer is set by Sirius on their side. The way it works is: Each station actually represents two signals from two different satellites, one signal is about 4 seconds ahead of the other one. Your radio buffers the signal that is ahead of the other one and plays the delayed signal for you. When signal is lost, you get that 4 seconds of buffer, any longer interruption and you get silence. This scheme allows you to change channels quickly without having a noticeable lag as the buffer fills.

Theoretically it would be possible to build a Sirius receiver that had a bigger buffer, but you would lose the ability to 'channel flip' as you would have to wait a number of seconds equal to your buffer size each time you changed the channel.
post #22 of 44 Old 06-17-2009, 07:34 AM
Granite Guru

I never use my Sirius, it cuts out everytime I get out into the woods or go under a bridge.
post #23 of 44 Old 06-17-2009, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASQUATCH View Post
You sir are correct...about the van in space at least , your altitude was just a tiny bit off is all .

Here's the deal, unlike our standard geostationary satellite orbit of 22,300 miles high in line with the equator with a 1/3 view of the world, the Sirius satellites were strategically placed in an egg-shaped orbit looping from 14,900 miles at the low point to 29,200 miles at the high end, inclined 63.4 degrees to either side of the equator. Additionally the Sirius satellites were spread apart so that two are always in view of the U.S., and as one sets another one rises providing high enough angles of elevation to deliver seamlessness coverage, albeit may not be perfect as stated by the OP.

The rack metal obstructs mine at times, so I'm going to install a redudant sat-antenna elsewhere.
I don't even wanna know WHY you know that... So you can place a redundant antenna on your rig that will also pickup the Siruis sat signals? I find your ideas intriguing, and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

post #24 of 44 Old 06-17-2009, 04:57 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASQUATCH View Post

How and where would you install a redundant antenna? I like this idea as I believe my metal rack also interfers with my reception...

08 Rubicon 2DR Red Rock

post #25 of 44 Old 06-24-2009, 03:56 AM

In my Mustang with the antenna on the trunk it never cuts out unless under roof for awhile. Where is the factory antenna on the JK?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode