JK Fuel Overflow - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 451 Old 06-09-2009, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

JK Fuel Overflow

I own a 4dr 2008 jk, I have been to countless gas stations and have a problem with overflow from when the tank gets full. Somehow the nozzle does not get the back pressure to shut off in time to prevent overflow. I searched forums for other drivers having the same complaint and not found any. I had just made do with calculating about how much I needed and stopping the fill before it overflowed. Then I went on vacation and rented a 4dr jk (cant drive anything else now, I am spoiled ) and had the same problem, so now I am guessing its not just my Jeep.
Has anyone had this same problem and found a solution? I talked with my dealer too, he had never herd of the problem before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 451 Old 06-09-2009, 08:53 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Mine has the same problem at times.

Last edited by RODICON; 04-18-2010 at 09:02 AM.
post #3 of 451 Old 06-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Granite Guru

It has happened to me a few times, but I blamed it on the gas station. Not my Jeep. Have you tried a different gas station?

mark

2010 Rubicon Silver
Rugged Ridge XHD front Bumper
Shorty Antenna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 451 Old 06-09-2009, 09:08 PM
Rock God

Send a message via MSN to bfj aka tambil

I have read numerous similar problems on the other forum..

It will work itself out. Also watch the way you hold the nozzle in. It can make a big difference. Having run gas stations for 20 years I have seen it all. The JK is common for this. I don't have the problem anymore though.

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 451 Old 06-10-2009, 09:10 AM
Granite Guru

Never had a problem. Make sure the nozzle is completely vertical with the handle on the bottom, not up or to the side. It will effect the shut off mechanism.
post #6 of 451 Old 06-10-2009, 10:01 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Had it happen once.
post #7 of 451 Old 06-11-2009, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

I have been to many gas stations, but I have never tried to keep the nozzle straight up and down so Ill try that. Thanks!
post #8 of 451 Old 06-16-2009, 01:29 PM
Wheeler

I haven't had any problems yet, my husband has had it happen 2 or 3 times on his 2 dr.

SASQUATCH's Lucky Wife
post #9 of 451 Old 06-16-2009, 02:09 PM
TrailDuty.com

65k miles worth of gas at many gas stations and I haven't had this happen once.

There is a small vacuum tube inside the gas nozzle, as soon as gas moves up the fill tube and cuts off the air supply to the vacuum tube it cuts off the gas. If the pump handle is upside down or at the wrong angle I guess it may overflow before the vacuum tube sees it is full, but I've never had the urge to try it so not not sure.
post #10 of 451 Old 06-16-2009, 04:12 PM
Rock God

17K miles and never happened to me.

"All wranglers are jeeps, not all jeeps are wranglers"

"Holding out for the Pentastar in 2012"

Last edited by Born2run; 10-08-2009 at 05:55 AM.
post #11 of 451 Old 06-16-2009, 05:38 PM
Wheeler

Mine does it. I found last 3 or 4 gallons pumped at slower speed works best. or do not try to top the tank off. when nozzle shuts off just hang it up.
post #12 of 451 Old 06-16-2009, 06:03 PM
Granite Guru

Happened to me once. I walked inside to grab a red bull and walked out with 20 bucks of gas flowing out of my tank on to the pavement and it was still pumping. Needless to say, I dont walk away anymore.
post #13 of 451 Old 06-19-2009, 03:08 PM
Wheeler

There is a long thread on one of the Jeep boards about this. It isn't uncommon all at. I don't remember which board.
post #14 of 451 Old 06-19-2009, 08:21 PM
Granite Guru

It sounds like an ID-10-T error to me.
post #15 of 451 Old 06-20-2009, 12:58 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
It sounds like an ID-10-T error to me.

I haven't heard that since my days in the service!
post #16 of 451 Old 06-20-2009, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Garage

Its not user error... my 07 pours fuel every time I try to fill it... not some times... everytime. it has done this since i purchased it. My 08 Rubi... never a problem.

įlllllį

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #17 of 451 Old 06-20-2009, 04:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

hey guys I had this problem too, mine had problems even pumping gas for more then 5seconds, but once I got it to go after getting about 5gallons in it would overflow when full, check your ESIM, its the white plastic thing connected to the evap canister, there are 2 valves in it mine was cracked

Evap/ESIM
The system is used to remove excess fuel tank vapors. this is done while the vehicle is being refueled.

Fuel flowing into the fuel filler tube creates an aspiration effect drawing air into the fuel fill tube. During refueling, the fuel tank is vented to the EVAP canister to capture escaping vapors. With air clowing into the filler tube, there are no fuel vapors escaping to the atmosphere. Once the refueling vapors are captured by the EVAP canister, the vehicles computer controlled purge system draws vapor out of the canister for the engine to burn. The vapor flow is metered by the purge solenoid so that there is no, or minimal impact on driveability or tailpipe emissions.

As fuel starts to flow through the fuel filler tube, it opens the normally closed check valve and enters the fuel tank. Vapor or air is expelled from the tank through the control valve and on to the vapor canister. Vapor is absorbed in the EVAP canister until vapor flow in the line stops. this stoppage occurs following fuel shutoff, or by having the fuel level in the tank rise enough to close the control valve. This control valve contains a float that rises to seal the large diameter vent path to the EVAP canister. At this point in the refueling process, fuel tank pressure increases,the check valve closes,(preventing liquid fuel from spiting back at the operator) and fuel then rises up the fuel filler tube to shut off the dispensing nozzle.

the check valves are in the ESIM switch, it comes off by pressing in on it and twisting counter clockwise 1/4 turn, no tools even needed.

Also everyone who has relocated their EVAP make sure your esim switch is mounted so that the wires that plug into it are in the 3 o'clock position, the check valves will not operate properly if the evap isnt mounted correctly. It also cannot be mounted on an angle, though I am pretty sure no one has theirs mounted like that.

the part is only 10 bucks, part # 4891685-AA Detector Evap

Hope it works for some of you.
post #18 of 451 Old 06-26-2009, 09:33 PM
Granite Guru

well, I had this issue on my unlimited from 25k miles to 36k miles. took it to the dealer (Pro Jeep in Thornton CO) right before my 36k mile warranty was up and he knew all about the problem. Had to order a new gas tank. He said there is some internal valve that is bad and the only way to fix it is with a new tank. since it was under warranty, i didn't really care. all i know is they knew all about it, took care of it and i have not had it happen since.

2012 Sahara Tan Unlimited Rubicon
post #19 of 451 Old 06-26-2009, 10:46 PM
Wheeler

It used to happen to me all the time, after I put on a 1in BL it stopped.
post #20 of 451 Old 06-27-2009, 09:08 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmedic View Post
well, I had this issue on my unlimited from 25k miles to 36k miles. took it to the dealer (Pro Jeep in Thornton CO) right before my 36k mile warranty was up and he knew all about the problem. Had to order a new gas tank. He said there is some internal valve that is bad and the only way to fix it is with a new tank. since it was under warranty, i didn't really care. all i know is they knew all about it, took care of it and i have not had it happen since.
I guess if you dont have a problem with the evap/ESIM then its the gas tank and that would suck for anyone over the warranty period. If they know about this there should at least be a TSB on it, then again with as many that seem to have the problem it should be a recall.

I had the problem for months and I was driving from NJ to NC and it happened at every station, once I fixed the esim it hasnt happened again
post #21 of 451 Old 06-27-2009, 10:05 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
I guess if you dont have a problem with the evap/ESIM then its the gas tank and that would suck for anyone over the warranty period. If they know about this there should at least be a TSB on it, then again with as many that seem to have the problem it should be a recall.

I had the problem for months and I was driving from NJ to NC and it happened at every station, once I fixed the esim it hasnt happened again
well, at least my dealer knew about it. I dont think anything official has been published about it. And though the part number on the gas tank they installed superseded my old one, there is no guarantee I wont have the same problem in another 25k miles

2012 Sahara Tan Unlimited Rubicon
post #22 of 451 Old 06-27-2009, 08:59 PM
Wheeler

I've got an 07 and it will everytime. I've learned to do the last gallons REAL slow or I'll end up with gas all over me and the side of the Jeep.

2007 Rescue Green Rubicon Unlimited
4" Superlift with Bilsteins
37" Mickey Thompson Baja Radials with PSC Spyderlocks
5.13 Yukon Gears and Custom Driveshafts
Mopar Offroad Rear Bumper
Smittybilt Front Stubby with Warn 8000
PSC Rocker Nockers with PSC Body Armor
PSC Front Tube Fenders
KC Lights
AEV Procal Programmer
Powertank
Rockcrusher Diff Covers
1" PA Bodylift
Rockhard Evap Skid
Corbeau CR-1 seats
post #23 of 451 Old 08-16-2009, 10:55 AM
Wheeler

Just bought my JK used last week. It's an '07 but only has 9k miles on it. I had the overflow issue the very first time I went to fill it up! I had walked away to clean the windshield while it was filling and before I knew it gas was pouring out everywhere! I will try checking the ESIM and hopefully that will fix the issue. If not I may be out of luck cause I'm not sure if the extended warranty I purchased with it will cover something like this or not.
post #24 of 451 Old 08-16-2009, 12:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Mine is fine but I recall reading on JKF that someone had an identical issue and the fix involved replacing the evap canister, or at the very least a component attached to it.
post #25 of 451 Old 08-16-2009, 02:59 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ImmortalityLTD

It started happening on my 07 about six months ago, and now it does it every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
the check valves are in the ESIM switch, it comes off by pressing in on it and twisting counter clockwise 1/4 turn, no tools even needed.

Also everyone who has relocated their EVAP make sure your esim switch is mounted so that the wires that plug into it are in the 3 o'clock position, the check valves will not operate properly if the evap isnt mounted correctly. It also cannot be mounted on an angle, though I am pretty sure no one has theirs mounted like that.

the part is only 10 bucks, part # 4891685-AA Detector Evap

Hope it works for some of you.
This is most helpful. I assume I can only get this from the stealership?

Joel
2010 Tiki Rescue World Champion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode