seats r 4 average height drivers - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-08-2009, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

seats r 4 average height drivers

at 6'3" and 270 lbs, i am by no means a huge person. the drivers side seat belt is proving to be a real pain in the arse, literally and figuratively. i made a 10 hour highway trip yesterday, and by 3 hours in my right leg was fast asleep. not a big deal with cruise working fine. by the 6th hour when i stopped to wake up my leg and i could barely walk, i noticed that the seat belt latch and buckle were leaving a very painful spot right on my hip joint. no big deal, figured just shuffle over to the left a little to relieve the pressure. by hour 8 when my leg was on fire and i couldn't shuffle over any more, i knew i had to do something about the seat belt assembly. i have another 5-6 hours to go today and i am going to fold up a few shop rags to put between my hip and the seat belt as a temporary fix. i am not sure if i will be able to find a shorter latch assembly or maybe removing the molded plastic from the webbing will help. the $130 seat belt fines are a little steep to not be wearing a belt, so i will have to do something to relieve the pain. beers might help, but the fine and jail time rule out that cure, at least while driving that is. i guess a 5 point harness just might be the ultimate cure.

08 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4" Zone Offroad lift kit
35x12.50 17 Toyo MT Pro Comp 17x9 rock crawler
34x10.50 17 Interco LTB factory rubicon rims
Mt. Logan sleeve and gusset kit BDS diff guards
Warn m8000 modded factory bumper
F & R Tom Woods driveshafts
BDS adjustable upper control arms
Teraflex frame brace & draglink flip kit
Zone Offroad R coil relocation brackets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-08-2009, 08:14 AM
Granite Guru

5 point harness would be great. In the meantime, maybe a split open beer coozie slipped over the latch?

Cheers,
Duffy
post #3 of 11 Old 06-08-2009, 04:38 PM
Granite Guru

Have you considered custom seats or wider racing seats in addition to the harness? i'm looking at having one of the seat manufactures do something for me...but my problem is that my head touches the sound bar forcing me to hunch more than I should.....I'm 6'6"... so even with the seat cranked all the way down I touch the sound bar with the back of my head...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-09-2009, 11:22 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-squared View Post
I'm 6'6"... so even with the seat cranked all the way down I touch the sound bar with the back of my head...
I'm only 6', but wish the seats would go down another couple of inches.

FWIW You will grow weary of a 5 point very fast. They are comfortable enough, but you cannot move, reaching over to the glove box would become a thing of the past. A harness is great for the trail, not so good for the street in my view.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-09-2009, 11:45 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I don't have a problem with the seat belts, but the seats themselves wear me out. They feel comfortable at first, but my hamstrings cramp up if I sit there for any length of time. I'm only 5'9".

I don't know if it's the seat being too short on the bottom or not going low enough. It doesn't help that there is no where comfortable to rest your left leg. When I first got the Jeep, I thought the seats were extremely comfortable. A couple of years and several road trips later, I'm not a fan.

I guess I'll take my beatings now from the "It's a Jeep, Get over it!" crew.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-09-2009, 12:26 PM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorHead View Post
I guess I'll take my beatings now from the "It's a Jeep, Get over it!" crew.
Yeah, be a man!

I actually find the seats to be very comfortable, After 5-6 hour trips and I feel just as comfortable when I arrive as when I started.

The no dead pedal thing is annoying though, but not annoying enough for me to do anything about.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-09-2009, 12:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'm 6'3" and 220 lbs. I haven't noticed the seat belt buckle being an issue but the lack of lumbar support and that leg thing RotorHead mentioned most definately. Oh and the wife is 5'5 and neither of us has ever had a need to jack the seat up. Do people really use that feature?

I like Duffy's beer coozy idea or maybe one of those pads that velcro around the seat belt would work at the buckle.

Just got back from tooling around Alabama, four days swapping from passenger to driver. About halfway through the four hour trip to Huntsville, my back and leg began to bother me. I rolled up a thermal shirt I had close by and put it behind my lower back. Made a world of difference
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
Yeah, be a man!

I actually find the seats to be very comfortable, After 5-6 hour trips and I feel just as comfortable when I arrive as when I started.

The no dead pedal thing is annoying though, but not annoying enough for me to do anything about.
Oddly enough we made the trip to Albuquerque in two days back in '07 and it felt fairly comfortable. Wife did day shift and I did evening shift. When in passenger mode I reclined with my favorite "MAN PILLOW" and it was great.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.

Last edited by gold knight; 06-09-2009 at 12:40 PM.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-10-2009, 09:36 AM
Rock God

Remember all that **** you gave short guys when you were in school?

I found 10 minute bolt in dead pedal from MORE. A little pricey, but great for a short guy who never learned to weld. I've always found Chrysler seats were a great fit for my ass. On a health side, you should stop every couple of hours and get out for a stretch anyway. The blood clots that finally killed my dad taught me that.

BEER Helping me do stupid things to my JK since 2007!
post #9 of 11 Old 06-10-2009, 01:58 PM
Granite Guru

You must be pear shaped or something... I am 6'1" and 275, no issues with the seat belt so far.

Overall, I haven't had any issues with the seats.

I think the issues folks are seeing are simply explained... you cannot make a product that fits everyone perfectly, you have to aim for the middle and hope for the best.

--------------------
Preacher
REDRUM
2009 Wrangler 'X'
post #10 of 11 Old 06-14-2009, 06:51 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Not feeling the seat belt pain like you, but the lack of lumbar support is what really gets me. I'm 6'2" about 260 (years of powerlifting, football, and strongman training have left me with a 52 jacket size and a 38" waist). My problem with the seats is (as with most seats) the seat bottom is just fine, but the area behind my shoulders is way too skinny. I have had to get used to leaning forword on airplanes and trains and such so that my arms and shoulders aren't sitting over my neighbors seats. I am dissappointed in the JK seats as I know how comfortable other chrysler vehicles are. I just traded in my 98 5.9L ZJ for my JK and it had the most comfortable seats I have ever felt in a vehicle. I am seriously considering some other type of seat in the future, hitting my head on the roll bar hurts like a B**CH too.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-17-2009, 12:41 AM

The seat back itself is too short and the damn seat is too high! My head hits the sports bar all the time so I can't lean the seat back any further. I'm sick of these seats, and I am considering dropping part of the floor pan if I can't figure out a good way to cut the brackets down or lower the seat. If anyone knows of any good aftermarket seats that would help, or has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode