Jeep won't stand behind their vehicle - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 07-30-2013, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Jeep won't stand behind their vehicle

I have a minor issue but I believe it is something that they should stand behind and warranty. I've had my 2013 Rubicon that I ordered for about 3 months now and about 3 weeks ago I noticed that the steering wheel was starting to develop wrinkling around the outside area. This isn't just happening in one area, it is all the way around the outside. We had a week of weather that was in the mid 90's everyday. Coincidentally this is when the wrinkling of the leather started. I took it to my dealership who said they have never seen one do that, and they would take pictures to send into jeep for warranty. Well jeep denied my claim because they said it was do to an outside source. Well it was do to an outside source, it's called the sun. The thing that worries me is it will develop into cracking later. Now mind you this vehicle has a total of 3000 miles on it now. I have sent them 2 emails and talked to the dealership so my next step is to talk to my attorney. This issue it more about principle that anything. Maybe this is one of the businesses we shouldn't have saved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-30-2013, 02:44 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Or maybe you can get a cool steering wheel cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #3 of 17 Old 07-30-2013, 03:57 PM
JKO Addict!

OP, no shit, Chrysler sucks. Many of us have been down this path. They should have never put leather in a JK to begin with, IMHO. You might call your Bureau of Automotive Repair and see if they can help you. I don't know if this would fall within their scope but I thought I'd mention anyway. Sorry, but get used to Chrysler bullshit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 07-30-2013, 04:22 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I am fighting my own battle with Chrylser now. I was washing the jeep a few wekks ago, 2012 JKU, and noticed rust specs all over my hood. I mean it is everywhere. I went to the dealer and spoke with the body shop manager. He told me it was the worst case of rail dust he's ever seen. I said WTF is rail dust??? He tells me when vehicles are shipped from the plant on train cars sometimes rust on the inside of the cars will get sturred up and settle on the flat spots of the vehicles. After a while it bonds to the paint and sometimes starts eating away at it. He told me it would be warrantied and they would first have to try a clay bar but he said mine was so bad it would most likely be repainted. So, he sends me over to see the service manager. The service manager says he has to take pics and send them to Chrysler for approval. A week later no answer, so I call. He then tells me, oh, your claim was denied! You got to be f***** kidding me! I call Chrysler and they read the report to me. In the report it says I am trying to claim "scratches". I explain to them what the body shop manager explained to me. Chrysler siad they will call and speak with the service manager. They do and call me back. They tell me the service manager is the one who recommended denying my claim!!! WTF!!! As soon as I can I am going up to the dealership to speak my mind

12' JKU Rubicon, Rock Krawler 3.5" Xfactor Pro Long Arm, 38" MTR/K, 17" ATX Slabs, Front EVO Double Throwdown, Rear King 2.0 Shocks, Beefed up Dana 44's
post #5 of 17 Old 07-30-2013, 04:29 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

^^ that is fucking bullshit, two faced piece of shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #6 of 17 Old 07-31-2013, 07:33 AM
JKO Addict!

OP,

I'd try another dealership. And I'd remember how this dealership treated you after the sale.

08 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon: lift, wheels/tires, bumpers, skids, sliders, winch, lights, cb. All the normal stuff, plus some.......
Build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 Old 07-31-2013, 07:12 PM
JKO Addict!

OP, What do you do for a living? I ask because I'm a auto tech and with all the chemicals I get absorbed into my skin the leather steering wheel on my 02 Chevy K2500HD started to wrinkle not long after I bought it. I just put a strg wheel cover on it.

08 2 door (yes they made them) 3.5 RK lift, 35s lunchbox locked 30 front 44 LSD rear

Ocala Jeep Club CERT member. Nation's 1st jeep CERT team

Proud to be deplorable

post #8 of 17 Old 08-05-2013, 01:43 AM
JKO Addict!

Yup, Chrysler sucks ass after the sale...

Stay on them and they will eventually replace the steering wheel. Leather or not, it should last for many, many years.

Originally Posted by van7559
I can bury my pinky in the rear, and just barley feel it, the front is a little easier, but still seems low to me!

I fist fuck life with a nuclear powered pneumatic fuck hammer for 60, 70 hrs a week...
post #9 of 17 Old 08-05-2013, 04:05 AM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to warcop

My Dodge Ram had rail rust but Chrysler warranted it.

Warcop

2012 JKU Sport, Rock Krawler 2.5 Flex, Smittybilt SRC Side Armor, Mesh Grille MOD, Sony Double DIN AV Receiver, Back up Camera, Kicker Speaker Upgrade, ARB Twin Compressor, Dominion Off Road High Lift Mount, Homemade Paracord Grab Handles, Nitto Trail Grapplers, Paramount Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier, KC Hilites Daylighters, under seat lock box, Metal Cloak Front Bumper, BARTACT Seat Covers, BARTACT Sun Shade, x20 Comp Winch, sPOD, ARB Air lockers, 4.10 Gears.
post #10 of 17 Old 08-17-2013, 04:36 PM
Wheeler

my 2010 floorboard on the passenger front/rear seats was straight rusted with large chunks of paint breaking off. Each shop the Dealer had me take it to to get a quote denied to work on it and wrote on their quote that eventually the whole tub will rust. Jeep acted like this was a small oopsie. Finally gave in after fighting and traded it in and got a 2012...and now my 2012 is leaking and the dealer told me to pull the carpet and drain plugs and it will be all good...
post #11 of 17 Old 08-17-2013, 05:55 PM
Wheeler

Man, a lot of bad experiences out there. Hate to hear it. I had the steering wheel issue and my dealership Dayton Andrews St. Pete Florida warranteed it with no questions asked. I was told that this steering wheel cost $600 because of the airbag. Recommendation for the rusting floorboards.... XLINER! Great product. I haven't done it to mine yet, but plan to! Try to build a little bit rapport with your dealerships or a couple of dealerships. Jeeps as a whole are not painted well in the first place. I have an eye sore of rust when you look thru the front grill and that cross member of sorts by the radiator is rusted. Service manager told me to take it to body shop and they would warranty it under the corrosion warranty. My jeep by the way is an 09'.
post #12 of 17 Old 08-27-2013, 10:17 AM
Granite Guru

Man... I had VERY similar problems with a Honda that I bought USED; vinyl started peeling off of both arm rests and rail dust caused the paint to bubble up all over the front clip.

The Honda stealer brushed me off on the arm rests, but the Mazda place that I bought it from took it in no questions asked.

As for the 'rail dust'; I had to get a regional service manager to approve the work, but they eventually came through, though they refused to claim any responsibility in the matter... said they were approving the work as a matter of 'customer satisfaction'... whatever.
post #13 of 17 Old 08-28-2013, 07:55 PM
Rock God

In my younger days I managed a detail shop for a Chrysler dealer. I would run every vehicle through a fallout remover before releasing it. This was used to actually remove rail dust before it became an issue. Rail dust is actually hot metal particulate that is made airborne when a train travels down the rails and especially when it slows. These hot particles land on flat surfaces and imbed themselves into the paint. It is most visible on white vehicles and appears as orange specks. But if you place your fingers inside the plastic wrapper from a pkg. of cigarettes and rub them across the hood carefully, you will feel the rail dust very well.
post #14 of 17 Old 08-28-2013, 09:40 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernmedic View Post
In my younger days I managed a detail shop for a Chrysler dealer. I would run every vehicle through a fallout remover before releasing it. This was used to actually remove rail dust before it became an issue. Rail dust is actually hot metal particulate that is made airborne when a train travels down the rails and especially when it slows. These hot particles land on flat surfaces and imbed themselves into the paint. It is most visible on white vehicles and appears as orange specks. But if you place your fingers inside the plastic wrapper from a pkg. of cigarettes and rub them across the hood carefully, you will feel the rail dust very well.
Well what's the best way to fix it. Dealership and Chrysler both fucked me off

12' JKU Rubicon, Rock Krawler 3.5" Xfactor Pro Long Arm, 38" MTR/K, 17" ATX Slabs, Front EVO Double Throwdown, Rear King 2.0 Shocks, Beefed up Dana 44's
post #15 of 17 Old 08-28-2013, 09:49 PM
Administrator

Garage

Pretty much why I wasn't sad to void my lifetime useless warranty in the first month of ownership back in 08... did it with a torch.

Did it again in 2010... used a plasma cutter to void that one.

Feels good.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #16 of 17 Old 08-29-2013, 08:55 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rippin Lipz View Post
Well what's the best way to fix it. Dealership and Chrysler both fucked me off
Start with a couple of applications of a quality automotive fallout remover. Use Google to find out what is available in your area. Most are extremely very simple to use. Wash vehicle as you normally would. The while the vehicle is wet using FULL PPE, spray the fallout remover over the entire vehicle including the glass. Using OOO steel wool, carefully rub the wet fallout remover on the glass surfaces (not the mirrors!). Allow the product to dry over night then wash off using a clean brush with plenty of soap and water. Rinse extremely well. Repeat if required.
post #17 of 17 Old 02-18-2014, 07:31 PM

hey mudders ya wanna see some scary ones from jeep dealers check out disappearing oil in 3.8 here in the forums, it will blow your minds. I got a 2011 with 30.000 with changes every 4000 checked it the other day after a change a month ago and was 2, yes two quarts low and no leaks anywhere. Don't have the heart to tell ya what the dealer said! Read for your self and cry like me.'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode