rugged ridge snorkel is straight garbage - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 07-28-2013, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

rugged ridge snorkel is straight garbage

My friend Meredith wanted a snorkel, but with a body armor rack and having a 2012, the options were limited(and she didn't like the way the RROR cowl snorkel looked) so she ordered the Rugged Ridge.

Since I am basically her mechanic, I had the joy of installing this piece of shit.
I have the AEV, nice dense plastic, firm, but not brittle(laid it on a tree and no damage)

The rugged ridge is hard thin plastic(definitely not the crosslinked polyethylene AEV uses) sounded brittle when thumped with a finger.

119 steps to install it in the guide book(30+pages)

First gripe: have to remove the pass side fender. Idiotic design.
The cutting template was not to scale/too big.
The replacement bottom half of the air box made it so the top half radiator bolts wouldn't line up
Fender was pushed out and back by the snorkel.
The center cowl(for the wiper arms) was a half inch away from the windshield on the pass side, while the driver side was lined up properly.
The tube from the snorkel to air box is resting on the catalytic converter heat shield(its aluminum) and barely fits even after clearancing the heat shield with a hammer.
The bolts that attach the extended snorkel go through into the "dry area" with no seal other than a washer and a plastic spacer.

Straight up fucking garbage product. She is lucky the roof rack will protect it, because one good smack from a branch will rip it clean off.

Save your money.
Do not buy this snorkel.

Risk the Roll.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
tm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-28-2013, 12:49 PM
Granite Guru

They love rugged Ridge on jk forum

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #3 of 22 Old 07-28-2013, 07:11 PM
Wheeler

Thanks for the heads up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 07-28-2013, 07:29 PM
Rock God

And they're making a JK hood. After buying their half doors based on hype and marketing I wouldn't by another thing sight unseen from this substandard manufacturer. Someone once posted they're the Wallmart of Jeep parts. Not sure I'd give them that much credit.
post #5 of 22 Old 07-29-2013, 03:53 AM
Wheeler

Come to think of it, I've purchase a few small products from them when I first had my JK, headlight gaurds being one of them, all them have long since broke. I'm starting to think Rugged Ridge is a just a for show manufacturer, completely unfunctional.
post #6 of 22 Old 07-29-2013, 05:06 AM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

It's Rugged Ridge.... what would anyone expect.....
post #7 of 22 Old 07-29-2013, 06:24 AM
Rock God

I installed that snorkel (low mount only) about 6 months ago. Everything went back together and looks as it did before I took it apart. No misalignment issues anywhere. I can see a big problem with the fender & cowl not lining up if you don't make that cut in the fender in the exact spot where it needs to be. There's no room for error there.

When you taped down the template, did the guide marks not line up with the existing holes in the top of the fender? Mine didn't, so I printed the template again and made sure it was 1:1 scale.

I dunno, I have a 2007. Perhaps there's a difference with the 2012s.
post #8 of 22 Old 07-29-2013, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

The notch was clear all around.
The 2012's have the new engine and different intakes too.

Risk the Roll.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
tm
post #9 of 22 Old 07-29-2013, 12:04 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

... And none of you heaux meauxs asked for mostly nude photos of Meredith yet!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #10 of 22 Old 07-29-2013, 12:07 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
... heaux meauxs
Is that French?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #11 of 22 Old 07-29-2013, 01:01 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnord5 View Post
My friend Meredith wanted a snorkel
Quit caring at "snorkel". Now, headlights brush covers, then we may have an interesting read.

You missed JKation for that snorkel, didn't you?
post #12 of 22 Old 07-29-2013, 02:21 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcraig7 View Post
Quit caring at "snorkel". Now, headlights brush covers, then we may have an interesting read.

You missed JKation for that snorkel, didn't you?
Maybe we're missing something? Maybe "snorkel" is code for something else, like the rusty trombone or Arabian sand goggles?

Quote:
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
post #13 of 22 Old 07-29-2013, 07:09 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
Maybe we're missing something? Maybe "snorkel" is code for something else, like the rusty trombone or Arabian sand goggles?
the dutch snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDrinken View Post
Dirty Minion for life™.:the finger:
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiCajun View Post
The fact that there is some Fag in you should be upsetting to say the least.
post #14 of 22 Old 07-30-2013, 01:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

If that snorkle is anything liketheir rudder, you can keep it.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
post #15 of 22 Old 08-03-2013, 03:42 AM
Rock God

I really like mine. Considering that the snorkel in inside the body lines, it won't take nearly the beating that one which sits outside will. I beat the hell out of mine speeding down bad washouts with low hanging limbs last weekend. No problems at all. I will agree that the install is tedious. Part of that is the design of the system. Yes, system. This is not just a plastic tube and scoop. It actually has a catch and drain. The template on mine did not line up correctly but there were more than one BIG notes on template alignment which were available from RR. I lined everything up and cut. No real problem. The only issue I ran into was that the sheet metal on the JK is so damn thin. I put a small crease in the sheet metal when I had it off. That pissed me off but I cannot blame RR for it. Jeep just cheaped out and used paper thin material.

I have jeeps. I do shit to them.
post #16 of 22 Old 08-03-2013, 05:10 AM
Wheeler

Too many complainers, I barely post on here but I do lurk from time to time, and this morning I see complaints about PSC, RR, and well me complaining about complainers!!Everybody has pros and cons,it's all subjective,if you do not like it,shut up and send it back, or make it work. I've had issues with stuff I ordered, and made it work every time. Just sayin'.

Bert
post #17 of 22 Old 08-03-2013, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boboborino View Post
Too many complainers, I barely post on here but I do lurk from time to time, and this morning I see complaints about PSC, RR, and well me complaining about complainers!!Everybody has pros and cons,it's all subjective,if you do not like it,shut up and send it back, or make it work. I've had issues with stuff I ordered, and made it work every time. Just sayin'.

Bert
This is dirty laundry. The place people come to fucking complain!

As for it being a system, it's overly complicated and made with substandard materials.

Why doesn't AEV or River Raider have a drain tube?
Because they are unnecessary, and as I see it, one more point of potential failure to let water in. Just like every joint in the line. 4 extra places water can potentially get in.

I have driven 3+ hours in heavy rain, at freeway speeds. When I stooped, I pulled the filter to check and it was bone dry.

And remember, this isn't a purchase I made. If I had bought it it would have been returned about 5 minutes after opening the package

Risk the Roll.
tm
post #18 of 22 Old 08-03-2013, 07:16 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnord5 View Post
This is dirty laundry. The place people come to fucking complain!

As for it being a system, it's overly complicated and made with substandard materials.

Why doesn't AEV or River Raider have a drain tube?
Because they are unnecessary, and as I see it, one more point of potential failure to let water in. Just like every joint in the line. 4 extra places water can potentially get in.

I have driven 3+ hours in heavy rain, at freeway speeds. When I stooped, I pulled the filter to check and it was bone dry.

And remember, this isn't a purchase I made. If I had bought it it would have been returned about 5 minutes after opening the package
Stop complaining Alex!

Quote:
post #19 of 22 Old 08-03-2013, 08:35 AM
Rock God

Quote:

Bert
So you lurk but felt you needed to break out of your lurker shell to bitch about people bitching? Right...

Pros and cons on the PSC? How about the inability to ship the correct product and then the inability to ship the correct replacement product? That ok to you? Do you really set the bar that low for vendors? I would like to sell you a JK rear bumper. Originally meant to fit a TJ. May require modification. Please pay full retail. This is me calling you a tool Bert.

post #20 of 22 Old 08-03-2013, 09:03 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgall View Post
So you lurk but felt you needed to break out of your lurker shell to bitch about people bitching? Right...

Pros and cons on the PSC? How about the inability to ship the correct product and then the inability to ship the correct replacement product? That ok to you? Do you really set the bar that low for vendors? I would like to sell you a JK rear bumper. Originally meant to fit a TJ. May require modification. Please pay full retail. This is me calling you a tool Bert.
ya I see your point. Bitching about it on JKO is really going to make things right
post #21 of 22 Old 08-03-2013, 09:19 AM
Rock God

I called the mfg. I didn't post here hoping PSC would read this. Perhaps you should not jump to conclusions. My point posting here is to let folks know that my experience with PSC on this issue has been less than satisfactory. Consider it a warning to fellow jeepers who may be looking at their parts. Of course you don't have to heed such warnings as you just make stuff fit rather than expecting a mfg to get it right. Still think you are a tool.
<edit>
Last post here. Sorry for shitting up your thread Fnord5.
</edit>

Last edited by bgall; 08-03-2013 at 09:26 AM.
post #22 of 22 Old 08-03-2013, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:

Bert
Well this isn't the "Shut Up & Send It Back" sub-forum.

The OP has every right to complain about whatever in the Hell he wants in here. It's what this sub-forum was created for.

There are other forums out there that may want to hide/ protect/ censor real world findings and experiences but not this one. A complaint on here may go nowhere, but ( as has been the case before) many times things actually get noticed by members, manufacturers, vendors, potential buyers, etc...

and that can save other people a lot of wasted time, money, and headaches so that they can make provisions for possible issues or just steer clear of a product all together.

My advice is to start your OWN dirty laundry thread about whatever you want and quit shitting up this thread with your completely off-topic comments.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode