H4 Bulb rant - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 67 Old 01-15-2008, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Send a message via AIM to jocrazy0
H4 Bulb rant

or maybe a "Headlights light when unlocking doors rant?" Anyway......

While sitting in the gloom on a rainy afternoon commute today on I10W in Houston I noticed one of my headlamps was out. I noticed this by the missing reflection in the tailgate of the pickup in front of me. So, I says to myself "Huh. Self, I need to install my spare bulb when I get home."

Not 20 minutes later I noticed the light from the OTHER lamp was gone. After I got back to my son's apt I was talking to my wife who informed me that she had noticed it out two nights previous when I'd pulled in, and this morning when I'd left. Thanks, dear, for the timely reminder I had a headlight out. Now BOTH are out.

These are H4 Sylvania OSRAM bulbs I bought from Daniel Stern lighting last year. These bulbs have only been installed for 12 months and about 24000 miles. Thats WAAAAY too soon for a bulb to burn out. (Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know. There are too many factors that determine the life of an incandescent bulb.) Still, I think that is too short a life and for both bulbs to fail within a couple of days of each. (And I did check the wiring, fuse, and relay. The high beams work, the low beams are out.)

So, $40 worth of bulbs *POOF*

I thinks its the cycling from the unlock of the door myself. I probably unlock the jeep 20 times on a weekend malling with my wife and a minimum of twice a commute day. I'm going to have to find a way to disable THAT feature. Ideas?

2007 Rubicon, Graystone, Auto, Dual, Power, Tow,GENTEX autodim mirror,COOL TECH antenna mount&exhaust,CIBIE,HELLA TPMS,AEM CAI, Fuel Door, Grab Handles,Tuffy,Thule,Olympic,HESCO Supercharger, HID, RR XHD FB w/stinger,DRAKE hoodlatch with locks
1972 C104 Commando - Bone stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 Old 01-16-2008, 11:09 AM
14ers

X2 THAT !

I would love to diable the "launch headlights" on door unlock command. I hate that.

2008 Rescue Green UJK Rubicon 6 spd with a bunch of super cheap mods!
post #3 of 67 Old 01-16-2008, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

UPDATE: Well after a visit to O'Reilly (where they had 1-9003 Silverstar for $20) and a trip to Autozone (where they had a package of 2-2003 Silverstars for $50 with a $10 rebate....Go figure.) I'm back in business. I now have one spare light in my Tuffy drawer for the next time.

The Sylvania Silverstars are not as bright as the Sylvania Osrams and the pattern is a bit diffuse....but it beats the heck out of no light at all. I did look at both bulbs; one had a piece missing from the filament and the other the filament was split. It is really strange that they both failed within a couple of days and just a few hours difference in use. But, whatever.

So, onwards and upwards as said. The person who finds a way to disable the "lights on with unlock" feature will be a hero. Shoot, I'll even buy that person a beer of their choice in gratitude!

2007 Rubicon, Graystone, Auto, Dual, Power, Tow,GENTEX autodim mirror,COOL TECH antenna mount&exhaust,CIBIE,HELLA TPMS,AEM CAI, Fuel Door, Grab Handles,Tuffy,Thule,Olympic,HESCO Supercharger, HID, RR XHD FB w/stinger,DRAKE hoodlatch with locks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 67 Old 01-18-2008, 05:59 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocrazy0 View Post
UPDATE: Well after a visit to O'Reilly (where they had 1-9003 Silverstar for $20) and a trip to Autozone (where they had a package of 2-2003 Silverstars for $50 with a $10 rebate....Go figure.) I'm back in business. I now have one spare light in my Tuffy drawer for the next time.

The Sylvania Silverstars are not as bright as the Sylvania Osrams and the pattern is a bit diffuse....but it beats the heck out of no light at all. I did look at both bulbs; one had a piece missing from the filament and the other the filament was split. It is really strange that they both failed within a couple of days and just a few hours difference in use. But, whatever.

So, onwards and upwards as said. The person who finds a way to disable the "lights on with unlock" feature will be a hero. Shoot, I'll even buy that person a beer of their choice in gratitude!

To Turn Off “Flash Lights With Lock”
NOTE: The Flash Lights With Lock feature can be
turned on or off by performing the following steps:
1. Press the “Unlock” button for 4 to 10 seconds.
2. While the “Unlock” button is pressed, (after 4 seconds)
press the “Lock” button. Release both buttons.
3. Test the flash lamps with LOCK feature while outside
of the vehicle, by pressing the “Lock” button on the key
fob with the ignition in the LOCK position, and the key
removed.

Sam Adams, please

/jl

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
post #5 of 67 Old 01-18-2008, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Sorry, no Sam for you. I already had the annoying LOCK flash and horn beep disabled. I'm looking for the DISABLE LIGHT FLASH on with UNLOCK. When the UNLOCK function is done, the headlights come on and stay on for about 15 seconds. Maybe when the jeep engineers do their chat on the JKFORUM at the end of the month, I'll get in there and ask the question. $50 for bulbs every year is ridiculous and unnecessary, especially because of a 'feature' that should have a disabled mode.

And not to turn this into a favorite beer thread, but Sam Adam's is my choice also. Anyway, thanks for the try. Next contestant?

post #6 of 67 Old 01-18-2008, 10:36 AM
Rock God

Sorry, should have read it better. Still no problem, so until someone comes up with the software fix, put a relay (or relays) inline, with the contacts breaking the ground to the lights. Wire it so the relay will only have power when the key is on.
Pros: no more unlock flash and burn.
Cons: No more headlights with the key off, but an override switch could be incorporated.

Can I have my Sam Adams now

/jl

post #7 of 67 Old 01-23-2008, 07:31 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocrazy0 View Post
These are H4 Sylvania OSRAM bulbs I bought from Daniel Stern lighting last year.
Ideas?
The factory bulbs are H13, I didn't realize that H4's were interchangeable???
post #8 of 67 Old 01-29-2008, 11:11 AM
Rock God

12 months??? drool

i have gone through 4, thats right 4 osram 85watt bulbs

they are bright as heck and i am very happy with the pattern, but they blow way too quickly, especially in the cold

Daniel Stern confirmed lifespan sucks, but oh well
post #9 of 67 Old 02-01-2008, 11:01 AM
Rock God

Guess I've been lucky so far, had my CIBIE's and Osrams in since last July with no problems. I go to work in the dark and sometimes come home in the dark, so they see plenty of use.

/jl

post #10 of 67 Old 02-06-2008, 09:13 AM
Wheeler

I know its a dumb question. But you didnt Touch the glass part of the bulbs when you installed them did you?
post #11 of 67 Old 02-06-2008, 03:50 PM
Rock God

Hey, where's my?

/jl

post #12 of 67 Old 02-12-2008, 07:59 PM
Rock God

i think these bulbs suck in the cold weather, i keep blowing them every couple of weeks

im going back to my h13's with the bling bling HIDs for now, maybe ill put these back on in the summertime
post #13 of 67 Old 02-13-2008, 02:06 AM
Granite Guru

Not sure what H4 bulbs you are using, but over here in the UK that is the main bulb type, run them in all my cars. I have many different makes PIAA, Osrams, and even Ring and don.t seem to have any problems. I have just had to change the lights on my JK to E-Mark lights for UK regs, so again I will be running H4 bulbs.

JK X Unlimited 3.5" RE Long Arm Lift, RE Drivelines, Rugged Ridge 17 x 9 Steel Wheels, 35" Mickey MTZ's, Bushwhacker Flares, 4.10 ratio, Rugged Ridge Front & Rear Bumpers.
TJ Wrangler 3.5" RE Lift, ARB's 4.56 ratio 33" Tyres
TJ Wrangler 5.5" RE Long Arm Lift, ARB's 4.56 ratio, 35" Tyres
XJ Cherokee 5.5" RE Lift, ARB's 4.88 ratio 35" Tyres
post #14 of 67 Old 02-13-2008, 09:27 AM
Broker by the Minute

Garage

I too had one of my Osram-64206 low beam bulbs go out. I did order 2 extra from Daniel Stern, so I'm covered but I agree that it was a little early....

The cold theory could be true if the filiment froze, or it could just be bouncing with the low beam on and in a fragile state. Curious; did you install the caps and diodes so the relays don't buzz and provide DC to the lamps rather than AC?

However in searching for another bulb I found this website:
Don's Bulbs main page

You can put in the voltage, amps, base, glass and filiment to get a comparable bulb. I am really tempted to go with the 100/80w And get 4 for 70 bucks. B ut Don has been emailing me suggesting that it may be too much bulb for my wiring however he doesn't know I really upgraded all my wiring so I may go this way. I sent an email off to Daniel Stern and haven't yet heard back from him about my options.

If you are going to buy the Osram 85/80w Daniel still seems to be the best price I've found so far.

Here is a listing of the H4's Don has available:
Don's Bulbs comparable H4's

Note: this is only for those that have upgraded their wiring and head lamps to ECE or E-Code lamps and this is not a replacement bulb for factory/stock lamps.
post #15 of 67 Old 02-13-2008, 09:34 AM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to Big A

ok... Just to make certain, The H-13 and H-4 are interchangeable? That would be awesome since i have a really nice set of telescopic hi/low HID's for it from my FJR1300!

oh...

And the person who can make that lights on unlock problem go away without tapping the harness, Your beer of choice from me as well! Preferably Boulevard Wheat.

Phase 1 Complete. Sold JK
Phase 2 Complete. Bought a Tow Rig
Phase 3 on-hold. Buying a trail rig. Thinking a TJ or XJ

Last edited by Big A; 02-13-2008 at 09:37 AM.
post #16 of 67 Old 02-13-2008, 09:39 AM
Broker by the Minute

Garage

I almost bought that bike but went with the JK instead. What year did you get?

Back on track.

I do not belive the bulbs are interchangeable as the base is different. The website I have above will provide you some details with pictures.
post #17 of 67 Old 02-13-2008, 09:54 AM
Granite Guru

H13 & H4 are different fitting.

JK X Unlimited 3.5" RE Long Arm Lift, RE Drivelines, Rugged Ridge 17 x 9 Steel Wheels, 35" Mickey MTZ's, Bushwhacker Flares, 4.10 ratio, Rugged Ridge Front & Rear Bumpers.
post #18 of 67 Old 02-13-2008, 10:33 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelW View Post
I almost bought that bike but went with the JK instead. What year did you get?

Back on track.

I do not belive the bulbs are interchangeable as the base is different. The website I have above will provide you some details with pictures.
Thanks, I didnt think so, But i never really looked at them close. So how is he running H-4's?

Pssst. It's an 05, Here's a pic from Moab last year! http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i8...29.2007094.jpg

post #19 of 67 Old 02-14-2008, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big A View Post
Thanks, I didnt think so, But i never really looked at them close. So how is he running H-4's?

Pssst. It's an 05, Here's a pic from Moab last year! http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i8...29.2007094.jpg
I am using Cibie headlamps purchased from Daniel Stern Lighting last year. The headlights were a heck of a lot brighter and better focused than the stock headlamps. The bulbs were H4 lamps purchased at the same time. Unfortunately, I didn't purchase a pair of spares but only a single bulb. So now I have replaced them with locally sourced Silverstars and they are adequate, but I don't find them as bright as the Osrams they replaced. (The Silverstars are lower wattage though)

So it will be a menagerie of specialized lighting when I replace the stock front bumper this year.

post #20 of 67 Old 02-14-2008, 10:06 AM
Broker by the Minute

Garage

I talked with Daniel and he said the Osram bulbs are brighter and more efficient than most, even compared to the 100/80's. So I will probably get another spare or two from him.

Here is Daniels website: Daniel Stern Lighting

PS: Nice bike indeed.
post #21 of 67 Old 02-14-2008, 04:28 PM
Granite Guru

I use these PIAA bulbs, the good thing about them is they draw the stock wattage, but the light output is equal to a lot higher output.

post #22 of 67 Old 02-14-2008, 07:10 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-UK View Post
I use these PIAA bulbs, the good thing about them is they draw the stock wattage, but the light output is equal to a lot higher output.

OUCH!! 132USD is pretty steep for us on the other side of the pond.

/jl

post #23 of 67 Old 02-15-2008, 03:37 AM
Granite Guru

John I found these on the US PIAA site

They are $74.49 (how come they are that much cheaper over there, we do get stuffed over here ) take a look at http://www.piaa.com not sure if they are the anti-vibration ones but they do have a few listed.

post #24 of 67 Old 02-15-2008, 04:07 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-UK View Post

They are $74.49 (how come they are that much cheaper over there, we do get stuffed over here ) take a look at http://www.piaa.com not sure if they are the anti-vibration ones but they do have a few listed.
It might have something to do with our american dollar being worth less these days. $2 US =$1 Euro.

post #25 of 67 Old 02-22-2008, 08:16 AM
Rock God

I should have known better than to post in this thread, I lost a ef'n lamp this morning. I think I jinxed myself on an earlier post. Now the fun begins, probably have to pull the winch to get the grill off, can't get to the rear of the pass. bulb to change it

/jl

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode